Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 The Jena Six

Number of Replies: 331
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, September 25, 2007, 05:00:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard the news and read the headlines. Today on Dr. Phil, the families of the six black teens arrested and charged with the assault of a white teen in Jena, Louisiana last December face off. Was it a hate crime or prank? A matter of black and white, or simply right and wrong? Were the Jena Six's civil rights violated during the trials? The Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have said the arrests and subsequent charges were racially motivated. Now it's Dr. Phil's turn. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2007, 5:26 pm CDT

If we're all equal, lets starting treating each other equal

For the past 10 years I have sat and watched the black population get away with just about anything. I was on a hiring team for a large corporation where I watched the middle aged white male become the minority, because we are afraid to get sued for hiring a white over a black, even if the white male is more qualified. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where a "Black Spring Break" is held yearly, could you imagine a "White Spring Break", would that make the national head lines. I could go on and on from education, the work place to crime, etc...... The Jena Six - it's not a grey area, it's black and white and I don't mean in the racist sence, someone committed a crime and they should be prosecuted for it. It doesn't matter who was black and who was white in any situation, if you committ a crime you should be punished for it, if you are the most qualified for a job you should be hired, if you are a good student you should get scholarships, ect... The people in our towns, cities and communities better come together and not only agree that we should all be treated equal, but we should practice it. The towns, cities and communities make up our nation and our nation is falling apart within it's own self, because of it's people, you and me. We may not be able to call this a "Great Nation" one day and that's what we should be focussing on and not focussing on who's white and who's black.

September 27, 2007, 6:43 pm CDT

Jena 6 my thoughts

I don't think the 6 students should have been charged with attempted murder. But I do think there was a need to atleast charge them with assault and battery. That was not just a school yard fight, that is a beating. The media has played bits and pieces of information. It's not until you start putting things together that you get a picture. The nooses were hung months before this incident. No, I am not saying that hanging them is right. But this boy did not deserve to beaten either. I saw some of those signs and listen to ppl saying they should not be charged with anything. That makes no sense at all. The last of the six that is still in the headlines already has 4 felonies against, apparetly he hasn't learned anything so far. The boys that hung the nooses were punished, I guess racism runs both ways. You always here about racism against blacks. Well, what about racism against whites. What you don't think that happens? Guess again. There is no valid reason for a group of any race to beat someone that way. I think the six do deserve to be charged as I said above. I hope dr. Phil does ask real questions and get more to the problem. For some reason, I fear that it will turn out to be the same crap we have already heard from the media. I felt bad for the community last thursday. Some of the media was basically talking about the people of town as if they were dumb rednecks that have no idea what tv was. They wanted to portray all the people as racist biggets without the hoods. God bless everyone in that town, not just the few in the news.

September 27, 2007, 7:17 pm CDT

Justice . . .

Unfortunately justice happens when a judge rules. People are getting away with murder and people are getting life for rape. I say all punishment needs to increase according to the crime. I am more upset with people constantly rotating in and out of jail. We need protection from criminals. When you hear about someone having been arrested 10 times - I always ask - why didn't they just keep them? I don't want to hear about overcrowding either. If your jails or prisons are too full just send them to Sheriff Joe in Phoenix. He'll leave the light on for ya!

September 27, 2007, 8:10 pm CDT

@mom65

Let us not forget that BEFORE Justin Barker was beaten up -EARLIER he and two other white kids jumped on one of the black boys that was charged. The second fight was in retaliation for the first fight. I hope that 3 against 1 is never right in you book either. To say that they are being made into celebrities is ummm...ridiculous.

September 27, 2007, 8:25 pm CDT

@donnabsl

I have a hard time believing what you are saying "For the past 10 years I have sat and watched the black population get away with just about anything. I was on a hiring team for a large corporation where I watched the middle aged white male become the minority, because we are afraid to get sued for hiring a white over a black, even if the white male is more qualified." You can't work for a large corporation and expect if this white man had more credentials, skills, education, experience, and better references that you felt bullied *my word* into hiring the black man. Because the white man can sue you just the same and if you had the proof of this "the white male is more qualified" you could or your large corporation could have very well contested this. I call bull....I won't say it but I sure do smell.

September 27, 2007, 8:35 pm CDT

@donnabsl

I am curious For the past 10 years-What have you sat and watched the black population get away with?

September 27, 2007, 10:32 pm CDT

Prejudice is raising its ugly head...

I'm starting to realize that some people are using this unfortunate string of incidents in Jena to release some of their own hidden prejudices. It is clear that some have not researched the facts on their own, but accept the information that will prove your prejudged feelings. Stick to the facts ,and avoid hiding behind the blogs showing your ignorance, in order to have a meaningful discussion of ideas being expressed concerning the unfairness minorities face in the justice system. I have not heard anyone say the Jena 6 should go unpunished and thats the end of the story, but their punishment should fit the crime. If the prosecutor would have done this with all the incidences leading up to this for all the boys involved then we would not be debating his actions and the thereafter. In America we are suppose to be innocent until proven guilty, so whatever each boy is guilty of (a kick, a punch, or just being there) is how their punishment should be determined and not based on random pickings of the black kids. Yes Justim was obviously beaten , but by whom? Thats where the justice system has to come into play with appropiate charges, a fair trial, and punishment that fits the crime IF found guilty....And thats justice in a Great Nation.

September 27, 2007, 10:39 pm CDT

Info in media not always "honest"..........

To meandu: As far as you saying that Justin Barker and two other white boys jumped on a black, that is INCORRECT. Several fights did take place in town in the weeks before the attack at school, but Justin Barker was NOT involved in any of them. That has been the problem with a lot of the media, they have distorted and twisted the facts. There was a fight at a convience store, but it was 3 blacks against one white. Then there was a fight at a party and that was one black and one white. All blacks involved were students, whites were not students. Sorry to disappoint you, but Justin Barker did NOTHING to cause this attack. And as far as them being made celebrities.......well, did you see them on tv signing autographs and taking pictures, or have you seen the pictures of one of them with hundred dollar bills in his mouth?????? This group of six committed a crime and now they need to be punished for it.

September 27, 2007, 11:19 pm CDT

REGARDING JENA 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mom65

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS AN OUTRAGE AND A DISGRACE. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED IN THE U.S. I MEAN 6 BLACK KIDS GOING TO PRISION BECAUSE OF A SCHOOL FIGHT, ISN'T THAT TAKING IT A LITTLE FAR. BECAUSE ALOT OF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE DONE ALOT OF WORSE THINGS AND GOT LESS TIME. I MEAN THEIR CATCHING THESE DRUG DEALERS SELLING DRUGS TO MINORS AND EVERYBODY ELSE AND THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS ONLY GIVING THESE PEOPLE PROBATION!!!!! COME ON AMERICA WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT.. I'M SO HURT BY THIS. I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS INCIDENT HAPPENED IN NOVEMBER OF 2006 AND HERE IT IS ALMOST 1 YEAR LATER AND WE'RE JUST NOW HEARING ABOUT IT....... THAT GOES TO SHOW YOU THAT THESE PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING BECAUSE NO ONE KNEW ABOUT IT... SO mom65 NO ONE IS TRYING TO MAKE CELEBRITIES OUT OF THEM THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO GET THEIR STORY TOLD... I MEAN THEY HAVE BEEN LOCKED UP FOR ALMOST A YEAR OVER A SCHOOL FIGHT PLEASE THIS IS 2007 NOT 1907... IF U AGREE WITH THAT THERE IS SOMETHING REALLY WRONG WITH YOU... I DON'T CARE IF U ARE WHITE OR BLACK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH U IF U THINK THAT THE TREATMENT THAT THESE KIDS HAVE RECIEVED IS JUSTIFIABLE.. BECAUSE IT WAS SIX TO 1.. I MEAN WHAT ABOUT THE WHITE BOY THAT PULLED THE GUN OUT ON THE THREE BLACK BOYS WHY ISN'T HE IN JAIL???? THE WHITE BOY THAT BROUGHT THE GUN TO SCHOOL WHY ISN'T HE IN JAIL????? I'M SORRY BUT THIS KIND OF TREATMENT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG AND EVERYBODY IN THE TOWN ARE TRYING TO DENY THE FACT THAT THERE IS RACIAL PROBLEMS IN THIS TOWN.. IT JUST SICKENS ME...ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WHY DID THE DA OF JENA MAKE THE COMMENT TO THOSE BLACK KIDS THAT HE DID??? U KNOW THAT WAS NOT RIGHT... AND NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN HE'S NOT GOING TO FIGHT THEM DROPPING THE CHARGE... COME ON PEOPLE..... AND ONE MORE THING WHY 1 YEAR LATER IS THE REST OF THE WORLD HEARING ABOUT THIS??????? ANSWER ME THAT!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2007, 11:33 pm CDT

So many stories...

The media is definately a problem whatever happened to investigative reporting??? I heard student statements from the trial suggest that the student who attacked Justin Barker was responding to taunts that Robert Bailey “had his butt kicked� at the Fair Barn fight... he wasn't randomly picked. Hopefully this is also something Dr. Phil will find out. All the attention these boys are getting can be tamed and they should be focused on defending themselves. I saw the picture with the money in the mouth on the front page of the Town Talk and the Jena Times, and also on the white supremist site. Justin also made referenced to the money during his interview with that same group. Not tasteful at all, but not a crime either.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last