Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 The Jena Six

Number of Replies: 331
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, September 25, 2007, 05:00:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard the news and read the headlines. Today on Dr. Phil, the families of the six black teens arrested and charged with the assault of a white teen in Jena, Louisiana last December face off. Was it a hate crime or prank? A matter of black and white, or simply right and wrong? Were the Jena Six's civil rights violated during the trials? The Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have said the arrests and subsequent charges were racially motivated. Now it's Dr. Phil's turn. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2007, 10:45 am CDT

my thoughts

well let me say that by being raised in a racist town, i was not brought up that way. it is like this, they need to let the red neck, hilbilly, rebal flag crap go. we all bleed the same, and hurt the same. i am a mother of a 17 and 14 year old. they have friends of many , as well as my husband and i. i fell the boys are being treated wrong.oh ya i am white. the other three boys who hung the nooses have had no up bringing. they need to realize that there has been no slavery for a long time.

September 28, 2007, 10:47 am CDT

Why don't people get it???

These are children in jail and they do not need to be put in jail with killers and rapists.......because of a school fight. Why didn't the school board take over and give them PRIVATE JUSTICE? like the ones who hung the nooses.....it's a double standard. I wouldn't want anything to do with the JUSTICE in The CIty of Jena..................it's horrible.

September 28, 2007, 10:48 am CDT

No justice in jena or america.

I would like to thank Dr. Phil for trying to show both sides of this issue. In America this is going on daily. The sad thing about it is that most middle class and upper class white americans in is country do not understabd that we as black americas, poor white americas, and hispanic americas deal with these issues daily. When we stand up and say something we are trying to cause problems. What they don't understand is the problems are there. They just choose to ignore them or they just really think that the problems do not exsist, but we live it each day. It does not matter how educated we become, how much we learn to dress and talk, how much we intereact with people daily. When something happens we are always to blame and we do not get the same justice.

September 28, 2007, 10:50 am CDT

Look Deeper

We'll all be better off when we realize that the true injustice is based on class rather than race. As long as the poorer classes don't unite, it can't change. That said, I want to add that if any race were really superior to another, they wouldn't have to work so hard to convince the world it is so. Superiority gifted by God (or evolution or whatever) would be apparent -- that's the whole point. If members of the KKK were truly superior, the "blacks" wouldn't be able to prevail no matter how hard they tried, and the "whites" could just sit back and do nothing to "come out on top." The very fact that the White Supremacy groups put so much energy into this aspect that it seems a lot more like desperate self-doubt than supreme confidence. Beyond that, true superiority is revealed in one's character, not color. Want to make your "race" superior? Be a better person. "If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

September 28, 2007, 10:50 am CDT

The skinhead supporter

First Dr. Phil, thank you for doing to that man what Bill O'Reilly does to people on regular basis, and stop him from speaking his hateful words. This is kind of person our supposed War on Terrorism should be going after here in America. Individuals who spew such hateful and ultimately disgraceful speech deserve the same or even worse treatment than those true terrorist prisoners in Guantanamo or whereever, but that will not happen as long as we have politicians who agree with them.

September 28, 2007, 10:59 am CDT

Look Deeper PS

Everyone does realize that Jesus was a poor, Middle Eastern (dark-skinned) Jew, right? And that He said that the outside doesn't matter when compared with the inside of a man. He welcomed all -- Jews, Samariatans, Gentiles (even the hated Romans), lepers, and so on. ------------------------------------------------ We'll all be better off when we realize that the true injustice is based on class rather than race. As long as the poorer classes don't unite, it can't change. That said, I want to add that if any race were really superior to another, they wouldn't have to work so hard to convince the world it is so. Superiority gifted by God (or evolution or whatever) would be apparent -- that's the whole point. If members of the KKK were truly superior, the "blacks" wouldn't be able to prevail no matter how hard they tried, and the "whites" could just sit back and do nothing to "come out on top." The very fact that the White Supremacy groups put so much energy into this aspect that it seems a lot more like desperate self-doubt than supreme confidence. Beyond that, true superiority is revealed in one's character, not color. Want to make your "race" superior? Be a better person. "If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

September 28, 2007, 11:10 am CDT

Jena 6

Question, jThe white student that was beaten by the six black students, was he driving around in the prominently black section of town with his shotgun(no bulletsof course)?

September 28, 2007, 11:33 am CDT

jena 6

From what has been said and displayed through the media....it does sound like a hate crime. Even though some may say that the "white" students didn't know what the noose signifies, it still is hard to believe it as so. What "blacks/minorities" have suffered in years past has become part of history and has been added to our history books; so unless that has not been taught to them in their schools, they should have known what the "noose" stands for and have not done sucha thing!!! I live in a state where affirmative action has been done away with and for this very reason is why I was STRONGLY AGAINST them trying to get rid of affirmative action. I felt that as long as racism still exists that affirmative action should too!!! A lot of people fail to realize how much racism still exists in this country....and that is a sad thing!! I hope that there is fair justice for Mykal and the other boys! I also think that the Barker boy didn't deserve such a beating. Funny how the majority of America didn't see nothing wrong with this back in the day of segregation, for white people to do this to blacks or other colored people???

September 28, 2007, 11:47 am CDT

Jena 6

In response to crazytown333: I am an african american female that lives in North Carolina, and the undercurrent of the issues in Jena are present here as well. I understand the various views of the situation in Jena. I don't agree with the behavior of the children, but the parents are responsible for this. No,the boys shouldnt have beaten the other boy, and they should be punished for that action, and they have been punished, but they were,in my opinion,punished too harshly. But the history behind the Jena events run deeper than just the fight between teenage boys, the hanging of the noose, etc. What the events in Jena has done is opened up a venue where people can address these issues. It's a history we should learn from, talk about and try to prevent from reoccuring. As damaging as slavery was for african/white/asian/native american's, its the oppession, and racism that continues to create division within the United States. In the world today, we as a nation can not afford to have these divisions, we are under attack from various world secs that want to see our country to fall. They want us as americans to die. And I feel that we are aiding them, they don't need to bomb us, we are doing the damage for them. My prayer is that we can continue to address these issues without violence, as a nation we've had enough bloodshed. By bringing this and other civil rights issues to the forefront hopefully will bring us more together as a country.

September 28, 2007, 11:47 am CDT

Both Sides Are Wrong

Those black students most likly were somewhat provoked, but it doesnt give then the right to beat the crud out of him. The Jena 6 should be tried as adults if they are 16 or above when the beating happened, because 16 is the age of consent in MOST states. If they are 15 or younger, they shoulkd be tried as juvies. The crime is not attepted Murder. Its Assault, possibly Felonious Assault. Now those boys who hung the nooses should have gotten more than a 3-day suspension, i'm suprised there wasnt a civil suit of that. Also it is the school board, and the city's fault for letting ther ebe a WHITE tree. Should Mychal still be in jail, NO is the simple answer to that. the Jena 6 do deserve to be punished, but not 25-Life, more like 5-15, I also think just to make sure there is NO predjudice in the courtroom the jury should be Split so no one can say it wasnt a fair trial, and it should go to State or federal courts. Now that skinhead had no right to take pictures of that family and post them on some stupid website, I think that guy should be sued, they gave no concent for those piuctures to be published. I totally agree with the statement Drkshama wrote, that is absolutly right.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last