Message Boards

Topic : 10/01 Jena 6 Continues

Number of Replies: 698
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Saturday, September 29, 2007, 08:44:33 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Friday's debate over the Jena 6 grew so heated, the Dr. Phil show needed to keep the cameras rolling! Now, see the show that happened after the show, when Dr. Phil returns to the stage and speaks with audience members on both sides of the issue. White supremacist Richard Barrett is the first to demand the spotlight, and you won't want to miss Dr. Phil's laser-sharp response. Then Dr. Phil has some hard questions for the attorney of Mychal Bell, one of the Jena 6 who spent 10 months in prison. What does she say to accusations that money donated for her client's defense was being spent inappropriately by the families? And, the conversation grows heated over speculation about how hurt Justin Barker really was after the attack. Was he as injured as he and his parents claimed? Find out which guest storms out of the studio, and why. Plus, Dr. Phil sends Bishop T.D. Jakes to Jena for exclusive interviews with members of the Jena 6 and their families. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 1, 2007, 1:44 am CDT

reply to catfish and jokr8790

I agree no one should be beaten like that young man in the video, WHITE OR BLACK!! But here is my question; what were those white kids in Jena thinking when they hung nooses from the tree of knowledge. I love how this kid who started the whole thing is now playing the poor victim. He and his buddies knew what they were doing was wrong and knew they would get a very strong reaction from the few African American families who live in that racist town let alone from the eintire country. So now they are seeing the results to their stupidity and cannot deal with it. In regards to the young man in the video and his family those punks deserve to go to jail as well. May God bless that family

October 1, 2007, 5:11 am CDT

reply to catfish and jokr8790

I agree no one should be beaten like that young man in the video, WHITE OR BLACK!! But here is my question; what were those white kids in Jena thinking when they hung nooses from the tree of knowledge. I love how this kid who started the whole thing is now playing the poor victim. He and his buddies knew what they were doing was wrong and knew they would get a very strong reaction from the few African American families who live in that racist town let alone from the eintire country. So now they are seeing the results to their stupidity and cannot deal with it. In regards to the young man in the video and his family those punks deserve to go to jail as well. May God bless that family

October 1, 2007, 6:53 am CDT

A View On The Jena 6

I think that this "topic show" that was first aired on 9/28/07 was a good one! It was clear to me that in that small southern town, racism was (is) very present! It seems that the main issue has two parts about it: 1) Was there a crime committed in Jena with the "6"? 2) If so, does the prosecution/punishment fit the crime? In law, for one's action there is a reaction, repercussions and consequences. With the "Jena 6", yes the fight that the boys had was not right, and there are proper legal ways to go about handling a situation. But with a system that is unjust things like this do (will) occur. To me, the short and real of the "Jena 6" is about a problem with the "American Justice System"! There is not equal justice for all! The color of a person, their financial means, and the location of the incident are all very important factors which make up a "variable" that carries a lot of weight in the "Justice System". Our "Justice System" have blatant flaws that it seems that "the people" has not wanted addressed or changed over the years! The situation in Jena is clearly about a "racially based ideology"! It is not fair nor right how the event came to be and is being viewed by the "local legal system" there, which supposedly is a part of our "American Justice System". We the people, have a true duty not to just vocalize and rally at only the time(s) and event(s) of a known publicized problem, but we need to be striving at working vigorously in the legal system to make changes so that situations like in Jena or from over in Georgia do not happen. A basic tool to use to try to help is a "vote"! And the action of the "vote" needs to be supplemented with education and understanding. A fully better day has not yet come, but there is still hope and a vision for that! (smile)

October 1, 2007, 7:45 am CDT

sticks & stones

will break my bones but names will never hurt me..... even if the kid called the others names, they could have called him names or ignored him. the nooses? pretty stupid. i do not understand racism. i do not understand going back in history & making up for what happened then. the past is the past. blacks are always saying you did this to us. whites say, i'm sorry let me do this for you. the fact of the matter is what was done was done. i don't get the native american thing either. that was life back then. now if today a black was enslaved then i would think differently or if a native americans land was stolen i would think differently. whose idea was it to accept the responsibility of what ancestors did to each other historically & make it current accountability? by the way, i am native american & whatever else & i was married to a black man even though i grew up with an archie bunker dad. get over it. what are our children going to have to accept responsibility for? christs' crucifixtion? i'm sure someone will find something.

October 1, 2007, 7:46 am CDT

sticks & stones

will break my bones but names will never hurt me..... even if the kid called the others names, they could have called him names or ignored him. the nooses? pretty stupid. i do not understand racism. i do not understand going back in history & making up for what happened then. the past is the past. blacks are always saying you did this to us. whites say, i'm sorry let me do this for you. the fact of the matter is what was done was done. i don't get the native american thing either. that was life back then. now if today a black was enslaved then i would think differently or if a native americans land was stolen i would think differently. whose idea was it to accept the responsibility of what ancestors did to each other historically & make it current accountability? by the way, i am native american & whatever else & i was married to a black man even though i grew up with an archie bunker dad. get over it. what are our children going to have to accept responsibility for? christs' crucifixtion? i'm sure someone will find something.

October 1, 2007, 9:33 am CDT

Jena 6

I noticed that Al Sharpton was more than will to pay the bail for the boy still held in jail. Was he also willing to pay for the medical bills the white boy incurred after being beat to a pulp? Come on! I am not sure why the six black boys are not being charged with a hate crime against Justin. It seems that can only be used by the black community.

October 1, 2007, 9:47 am CDT

in jena or any other place

i think people weather black ,white or any other race should just GROW UP AND STOP ACTING LIKE THEY ARE SUPERIOR TO EACH OTHER WE ARE ALL EQUAL, as for the beating if you do the crime you do the time just that simple.

October 1, 2007, 9:48 am CDT

DebbieLamar -- You are passing along incorrect information

" I love how this kid who started the whole thing is now playing the poor victim." I am stunned by how many times I continue to see this misinformation posted on these threads. Did you watch the Dr. Phil Show? Did you read the news reports? The boy who was beaten unconscious and continually kicked in the head afterward DID NOT "start the whole thing." He DIDN'T hang nooses. Got it? He was beaten up for being white -- period!

October 1, 2007, 9:59 am CDT

Stephane - Sharpton and legal bills

I don't think Sharpton should pay the medical bills for the kid that was beat up. But I would like to see him pay at least part of the legal bills for the Duke lacrosse players. It was his bullying tactics that contributed to those men being railroaded. (Incidentally, do you see white people marching in the streets demanding "justice" for them by having the false accuser prosecuted? On the contrary, the Duke 4 have been remarkably forgiving of the woman because of her mental issues. ) I wouldn't hold my breath, though. If I am not mistaken, he was supposed to pay damages to the police officers in the Tawana Brawley hoax and never paid up.

October 1, 2007, 10:01 am CDT

Jena 6

I get so tired of seeing black people rally to the aid of other black people when they do wrong just because they are black and turn it into a racial issue. I am disappointed with J D Jakes for donating money for legal fees to these six people who jumped on a beat up a single white person. If he wanted to see justice done why didn't he donate the same amount to the victim to at least cover some of his medical bills. Look at the mob who beat and killed Jesus whom he has built a ministry on. Thats like siding with the mob instead of with the Lord. My children used to hate going to school on Martin Luther King Day because of the unprovoked attacks from black students. He said they would get grapped and thrown up against lockers and other things done to them just because they were white. You never see these things in the news though. White people cannot claim to be racial discrimanated against because being white is wrongfully not considered to be a race. I think it's time to stop looking at the color of someones skin and start looking at them as individuals and treating them as equals when it comes to the crimes they are accused of doing. Don't free hard hearted criminals just because of the color of their skin.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last