Message Boards

Topic : Ending Toxic Friendships

Number of Replies: 486
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:20:14 am
Author : dataimport
It can be hard to extricate yourself from a friendship gone bad. Share your stories and strategies for handling this sticky situation.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 12, 2005, 12:17 pm CDT

Never again! *lol*

Quote From: jenoc99

Years ago I also was in a friendship like this one that you describe, it was so draining!! The woman I was friends with was pretty much exactly like your friend. She didn't realize how draining she was, when I tried to tell her in a nice yet firm way, she turned it around and made herself the victim...I should have known!! She was very, very comfortable being the victim and she wasn't about to give that role up anytime soon. Our last conversation on the phone, I ended up hanging up on her. Then she wrote me a letter, going on and on about  how she can't believe "your doing this to me!!" etc. It was actually laughable. Now, I can spot a person with her personality from a mile away, which is a valuable asset to have. You also might have this asset, it will prevent you from being led into another toxic relationship like that.

You bet it taught me but when we got into this relationship, we were both so totally in mommy mode and I thought we were on the same page about most other things as well. An alcoholic or drug abuser can cover up for a long time but eventually, it becomes apparent and when it was clear to me, I was deep into the friendship. 

My friend also blames me for having deserted her at the worst time in her life but I'd hung in for 4 bad years and 6 good ones. I can't see anyone else having stuck out what I did and it put my own family through a wringer. I've had one of our mutual friends call me angrily to tell me that now that I've dropped "M", she's calling this friend constantly and it's straining their friendship *lol*... and she's only had to put up with it for less than a year.  

It baffles me that I put up with so much though since that's not my personality. I've always kept alcohol / drugs / infidelity out of my life and yet for 4 years, they were central to it because of her. When I compared my friendship with her to my relationship with my other wonderful friends, it was clear that it wasn't a friendship... it was a Vampiric dependency and I was letting myself be sucked dry.  

August 16, 2005, 12:46 pm CDT

How To Deal When A Friend Tells You That You Are Toxic?

Please note: Read my post in The Bullying Section to get the full history of this friendship with Danielle gone awry.  

I have a former friend that claims that I am stalking her. The truth of the matter is that she severed our friendship two years ago and I have abided by her wishes that we maintain no contact with one another in any way, shape or form.  

Sadly, her mother "Jeanne" has been sounding off to anyone that will listen (school officials, mutual friends, and my co-workers) that I am a horrible, toxic, and indecent person. I don't understand where all of these claims are coming from. First the stalking thing is completely preposterous. I am mature enough to realize that if she feels that I am not a good friend to her and never have been that I should move on with my life and she should do the same. She claims that I have a sicko obsession with her and that I just can't accept that our friendship is over. Naturally, when your friend tells you she never wants to see you again and then throws around all of these names-- one is angry. I was upset and hurt by her accusations, but not rage-filled like she claims. I don't want revenge, I just would like an explanation. I resigned myself a long time ago to the fact that such an explanation will never come to pass and I should just chalk it up to a bad experience in life and something to learn from. However, I have enough sense to realize that there is something wrong with this girl (and her mother by extension) if they feel the need to call attention to themselves (and me) by spreading these lies. It is slanderous and I don't really know what to do about it. If I contact Danielle or her mother to try to work it out I would just add fuel to the fire about how I am unable to "get over" the loss of her friendship.  The truth of the matter is that I have adjusted well to the fact that she and I are not friends. What I haven't adjusted well to is the way Danielle and Jeanne are handling our lack of communication by claiming that I am trying to make contact. If they want me to leave them alone why do they insist on being so hateful to me? Despite their claims that I am toxic-- I am not the one leaving horrible nasty messages on their Xanga website or telling all of their friends that they are horrible people. Infact the only thing I say when one of our mutual friends asks what in the world is going on between us is, "unfortunately, she doesn't want anything to do with me and all I can do is accept that, respect that and move on." What I need is advice on how to deal with this bizarre situation. The lingering question is that if they don't want anything to do with me, and they don't care about me (like they say) then why are they going to great links to try to take me to court, get me in trouble with my university, follow me around, talk to our mutual friends and basically have me included in their lives with all of it? I don't understand, but I know that I have done things so they can't contact the people I work with or my university anymore. It is an active smear campaign aimed at assasinating my character to anyone who will listen. You would think I would be angry-- but no, I just want it to stop and really I am very sad for these women that feel the need to pursue me so, and they just can't get over the fact that I want to respect their wishes-- if that is what they really want. If they want to have contact with me, then why not just say so? Why go through all of this messy, and harassing tactics to keep me in their lives when all they ever say is "cease and desist" and they "don't care one iota about my life except that I get a life and move on..." It is a very weird pattern of abusive behavior and I would like some other perspectives. Thank you so much for your help.  It is much appreciated. 

August 16, 2005, 5:04 pm CDT

Slander....

Quote From: parisienne

Please note: Read my post in The Bullying Section to get the full history of this friendship with Danielle gone awry.  

I have a former friend that claims that I am stalking her. The truth of the matter is that she severed our friendship two years ago and I have abided by her wishes that we maintain no contact with one another in any way, shape or form.  

Sadly, her mother "Jeanne" has been sounding off to anyone that will listen (school officials, mutual friends, and my co-workers) that I am a horrible, toxic, and indecent person. I don't understand where all of these claims are coming from. First the stalking thing is completely preposterous. I am mature enough to realize that if she feels that I am not a good friend to her and never have been that I should move on with my life and she should do the same. She claims that I have a sicko obsession with her and that I just can't accept that our friendship is over. Naturally, when your friend tells you she never wants to see you again and then throws around all of these names-- one is angry. I was upset and hurt by her accusations, but not rage-filled like she claims. I don't want revenge, I just would like an explanation. I resigned myself a long time ago to the fact that such an explanation will never come to pass and I should just chalk it up to a bad experience in life and something to learn from. However, I have enough sense to realize that there is something wrong with this girl (and her mother by extension) if they feel the need to call attention to themselves (and me) by spreading these lies. It is slanderous and I don't really know what to do about it. If I contact Danielle or her mother to try to work it out I would just add fuel to the fire about how I am unable to "get over" the loss of her friendship.  The truth of the matter is that I have adjusted well to the fact that she and I are not friends. What I haven't adjusted well to is the way Danielle and Jeanne are handling our lack of communication by claiming that I am trying to make contact. If they want me to leave them alone why do they insist on being so hateful to me? Despite their claims that I am toxic-- I am not the one leaving horrible nasty messages on their Xanga website or telling all of their friends that they are horrible people. Infact the only thing I say when one of our mutual friends asks what in the world is going on between us is, "unfortunately, she doesn't want anything to do with me and all I can do is accept that, respect that and move on." What I need is advice on how to deal with this bizarre situation. The lingering question is that if they don't want anything to do with me, and they don't care about me (like they say) then why are they going to great links to try to take me to court, get me in trouble with my university, follow me around, talk to our mutual friends and basically have me included in their lives with all of it? I don't understand, but I know that I have done things so they can't contact the people I work with or my university anymore. It is an active smear campaign aimed at assasinating my character to anyone who will listen. You would think I would be angry-- but no, I just want it to stop and really I am very sad for these women that feel the need to pursue me so, and they just can't get over the fact that I want to respect their wishes-- if that is what they really want. If they want to have contact with me, then why not just say so? Why go through all of this messy, and harassing tactics to keep me in their lives when all they ever say is "cease and desist" and they "don't care one iota about my life except that I get a life and move on..." It is a very weird pattern of abusive behavior and I would like some other perspectives. Thank you so much for your help.  It is much appreciated. 

The best way to handle this situation is to turn the other cheek- be the bigger person. This must be very hurtful for you, I know it is difficult when you can't just confront the person who is doing things to disrupt your life, but in this case the best thing to do is pretend they don't exist. They want you to react- that is the "payoff" that they are looking for...they would love for you to react so that they can go, see- look- she is a stalking psycho!! Don't play into their headgames. You are a bigger person then that. You are right when you point out that this is emotionaly abusive. It would be good if you could keep a record of anything they do to communicate with you, just in case something comes up in the future. I wish you luck with this. Be strong!

August 17, 2005, 10:50 am CDT

Thank You! Another Question Concerning This Situation

My lawyer and I have considered pressing charges-- this stalking and harassment by these women who "just want to be left alone" has been going on for the last eight months. I have not responded to their allegations that I am harassing them, but my lawyer sent them a letter letting them know that filing false charges and slander is illegal. This whole thing is extremely bizarre. 

Should I go foreward with pressing charges or should my lawyer continue trying to negotiate with Jeanne (my former friend's mother who keeps hounding me and threatening me with jail time) and recieve an explanation for all of this? So far the explanations they have offered are, "we have done nothing to you." "your daughter is sick and obsessed." and "this is a cry for help from your daughter (harassing them)" Nothing at all related to why they insist on bugging me and telling me I am going to jail or why they started this in the first place. 

Personally, I am tired of it and want it to stop. I am willing to go to court and defend myself against these accusations, but my lawyer wants to wait and try resolve the matter out of court. I asked him if he thought that I looked crazy and obsessed with Danielle? I asked him from what he has recieved from Danielle's mother (who has yet to produce the name of a legal representative so we can do business with him) does he think she has any case against me.  

Both answers are no, but it is frustrating to sit her and continue to recieve things that tell me I should go see a shrink for my hatred and apparent rage that I have inside of me. None of which is true. In my opinion and the opinion of two Dean-of-Students who both heard the case against me and had complaints filed with them they think that I am being stalked-- not these women. My lawyer wants to give them rope to hang themselves with in court so he just lets them continue with their behavior. He said he will do something when the time is right.  

I have already filed multiple police reports, taken my personal information off of the UT student directory (The University of Texas), changed email addresses (so I don't keep getting "cease and desist" letters threatening prison), and shut down my first online blog. I continously check the old email just to see if the same things are coming, and they are. I print out every one and put it in my files. Most of the time the Mother-Daughter-Duo resort to cheap name calling, and tell me I am a bully.  

I don't know about ya'll, but I  think I am the one being bullied here. I realize that I have to be strong, and that is good advice-- but should I take it one step further and get the law involved? Should I go to court and defend myself? 

August 17, 2005, 11:26 am CDT

What Are Warning Signs of A Toxic Friendship?

Bonjour again! I was wondering if there is a definition or a set of criteria that a define a Toxic Friendship? I have been told in the past that I am a toxic person and none of the evidence that I can find (my family, or friends either) supports the statement of this person that I am toxic. I have since come to see this nomination of "toxic" as a fad description of anyone who you just don't like. It is very "in" to have toxic people in your life-- it gives you an excuse to write people off when you feel like it. It is very frustrating to be confronted with such an ambiguous description. The power of the word made me want to research it. 

I know that this isn't, realistically, the definition but I haven't gotten a good explanation of exactly what makes a friend toxic. My former friend will not give substantial reasons or examples of the supposed abuse she suffered because of me, and that is problematic. If I did these things, then don't I have a right to know exactly how I have offended the person that is calling me toxic?  

If Anyone can enlighten me as to the criteria or standard for a Toxic friend perhaps I could evaluate my own behavior in the wake of this conversation in which my friend alleges she is no longer speaking to me because I am toxic. Exactly what does that mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

August 18, 2005, 9:09 pm CDT

My idea of a toxic friendship

Bonjour again! I was wondering if there is a definition or a set of criteria that a define a Toxic Friendship? I have been told in the past that I am a toxic person and none of the evidence that I can find (my family, or friends either) supports the statement of this person that I am toxic. I have since come to see this nomination of "toxic" as a fad description of anyone who you just don't like. It is very "in" to have toxic people in your life-- it gives you an excuse to write people off when you feel like it. It is very frustrating to be confronted with such an ambiguous description. The power of the word made me want to research it. 

I know that this isn't, realistically, the definition but I haven't gotten a good explanation of exactly what makes a friend toxic. My former friend will not give substantial reasons or examples of the supposed abuse she suffered because of me, and that is problematic. If I did these things, then don't I have a right to know exactly how I have offended the person that is calling me toxic?  

If Anyone can enlighten me as to the criteria or standard for a Toxic friend perhaps I could evaluate my own behavior in the wake of this conversation in which my friend alleges she is no longer speaking to me because I am toxic. Exactly what does that mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I think a toxic friendship causes more harm then good basically meaning though there might be good qualities in a person, it doesn't neccessarily mean that they are the best of friends to expose your self to. Here is my example. My husband has a friend that he met in college and they became good, best friends. Well, my husband(wasn't at this time) ended up moving in with this guy and his new wife, well it ended up that this couple was not very neat and the friends idea of a wife was basically that her place was in the home and the bed and no where else, they ended up having two children during this time but guess who was more of a father to the kids? It certainly was not this friend. This guy slept all day and played dungeons and dragons throughout the night with friends expecting the wife to take care of the kids, house and the guest, (but of course she had her issues as well, won't go there), Long story short, Ed (now my husband)meets a girl (me) and falls in love with her, and this friend instead of encouraging hom to follow his heart, basically tells him all the negatives about marriage and that he doesn't want to go there, well, thankfully my now hubby was smarter then his friend and went with his gut feeling and we have been happily married for 12 1/2 years with two wonderful little ones. This friend is still in the picture, he doesn't like me, never has but is good about putting on a good front. He is now divorced with four children that neither one has custody of at the moment, he recently got evicted from his apartment and once again has no job, well he needs a place to stay so guess where he is? yep, in my basement, sleeps through the day and plays computer games during the night, thinks I should give him his phone messages while his cell phone is turned off(doesn't happen), tells my hubby that all marriages now days does not last therefore he must get prepared. He has been accused of several things that is not good and not once have I heard him make a call to any of his children. The older two he wanted to put up for adoption when they were babies but for whatever reason did not happen but now, the oldest wants nothing to do with him but he is fighting for custody for the children basically just so his ex doesn't get them (which she doesn't need them either), Hew is staying in my home, though he doesn't like me and has not offered to lend a hand but will leave his pop cans whereever and puts his laundry in with ours thinking I am going to do it( not happening here). There is more but won't go any further. Now, I have been discussing this issue with my husband and letting him know that I do not have a problem with him being his friend and trying to help but there has to be a time when we must say no and to force a person to get out on their own which is something that I am doing , not my husband, I have set an amount of time for him to get his act together and he is out. Like I said at the beginning, though there may be good qualities in a person, it doesn't make them the best of friends. I believe this guy does more harm then good in a friendship. My husabnd has a heart and becasue this was his good friend in college, and they are still friends, he doesn't feel that he can tell him no, that he needs to be there for him no matter whaat. Now, I am a christian and am a very compassionate person, I feel for people and do whatever it takes to help some one to get on their feet or whatever, but I also believe there comes times when a person just has to get off their hineys and step up to the plate and take responsibility for their actions and to keep enabling some one to stay as they are just does not help. A toxic friend is one who doesn't seem to care about any one aound them but htemselves, yes, they might act really cool and friendly but when it comes right down to it, they are not sincere, as far as this friend of hubby's, he would love to see the day that hubby and I divorces and once again he and him can be the best of buddies again and play their little games but thankfully my hubby is a great guy and that day isn't gonna happen. Again, a toxic friendship does more harm then good, I think if this was a good friendship, this guy would treat his friends wife with respect and encourage his friend to do his very best to make his marriage last, He would show gratitude and offer to help, at least clean up after himself. A good friend is some one who you can count on but yet not manipulate and use to get what you want. I respect my husband and admire his faithfulness but as much as I hate to say it, his friend is toxic but for whatever reason, hubby does not see it that way. I don't know if this answers your question or not but I hope I helped some. In all honesty, All of us might be a little toxic as none of us are perfect but I suppose we should be asing our selves something along the lines of "why am I in this friendship or am I giving/receiving what I need to be in this relationship? Do I cause more harm then good in this friendship and what are my motives here? I don't know if any of this makes any sense as I never really gave it much thought til now. Good question though.

August 19, 2005, 10:43 am CDT

"Toxic"

I suppose "toxic" could be a fad description.....it depends on who is using it and how. I know that for many, many years I had a close friend who became less and less of a friend and more of a burden, she was totaly toxic, but I let her know why I felt that way. I think it is cruel to just not want to be friends with someone and give no explaination. But on the other hand, what if that person just feels too hurt and/or betrayed by the toxic person, feeling like they can't tell the person the reasons why they are toxic because that person would only deny it anyway? I know I felt that way to a degree before I told my ex-toxic friend why I didn't want to be friends anymore...I knew she would just deny the things I would say, so I did it in a letter, that way she can't interupt me and turn it around to make it my fault, because she was a master at that! 

So anyway, being a toxic person to me would be anything that is not healthy for a friendship, being judgemental, bossy, etc. Its hard to look at our faults, so I commend you for wanting to know what it is that is toxic about you and having the desire to change that.  

August 22, 2005, 10:37 am CDT

Thank you to all who answered my question about the Definition of Toxic. I am still sort of unclear as to the blanket definition. It is a such a popular term but the definition seems to be up to the individual labeling the offensive person (i.e. The Toxic Person) which I don't believe to be a fair thing. I could label someone Toxic because I don't like the fact that they don't like pink the same way I do-- I mean, it is a fad description run amok.   

I think that putting the reasons in a letter for a friend with whom you choose to sever contact is an excellent idea. However, please make sure that this letter actually explains the reasons and doesn't just resort to name calling and being hateful. Hurtful, accusatory letters don't make the person you are addressing feel any better.  

I don't know. I suppose the reason I am so intrigued by this question is that I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to sit and discuss this issue with the person in question because they are unwilling to even entertain the idea of a simple discussion to try and work out the issues. It is very hard for me to get past the idea that someone out there in the world wants nothing to do with me and has nothing but hateful things to say to anyone they can about me.   

They (this mother and daughter who have hurt me so) that I am toxic, and evil and that I need help. Well maybe I do need some help, but I have never thought of myself as being evil. This whole situation (see my blog http://diaryofabully.blogspot.com/ for the whole story) has caused me so much pain, but I can also say that it has caused me to examine myself very closely.  

I have gone through and dissected the friendship that I supposedly spent the better part of (as they accuse me) bullying my friend and "underminding her". I can't understand their accusations because realistically I didn't spend enough time with "Danielle" to have time to bully her. We weren't that close, but that makes the situation even more hurtful.   

I just need help in dealing with this accusation that she (and her mother) find me to be "an indecent person" for no apparent reason. At least they refuse to give me a reason. Instead they want to talk to all my friends and try to convince them that I am no good, and that I am dangerous.   

Luckily, all my friends think that she is crazy. I honestly can't see how I have ever offended her in the ways that she claims.  I am honestly trying to figure this out. I know that I am not perfect but I have been able to maintain healthy relationships, and this is the only one that has turned out to be this way.   

I can't completely understand why it hurts me so, but it does-- and I am still in the process of trying to figure it all out. I am still researching some clinical definitions of toxic friend, but it appears to me that it is a personal definition.   

If it is, indeed, a personal definition then it stands to reason that a person could make up reasons to get rid of someone else? Most of my good friends, and family have postulated that perhaps Danielle and her mother wanted an excuse to get rid of me as a friend?  

I have also heard that there are those people who routinely "clean out" their friends list. I have always thought this to be a rather cold and unfeeling thing to do. What ever happened to loyalty? Working out problems instead of dropping a friend faster than a bad habit?   

I have never been through this before and it is my first experience dealing with all out rejection like this. I am sorry if I seem obsessive or something, but I am trying to work it out and I feel like if I figure it out then I can get on with my life.   

August 22, 2005, 11:12 am CDT

False Victimization Syndrome: A Factor In My Situation

I was wondering if it sounds plausible that these people could be falsely accusing me in order to get attention for themselves?   

False Victimization Syndrome:      

This occurs when an individual attempts to convince others that he or she is being stalked, victimized or bullied through the invention of claims made to re-establish a failing relationship and/or gain attention (Zona, Palarea, and Lane, 1998). Individuals who exhibit these characteristics may also fit the criteria for histrionic personality disorder (DSM-IV, 1994): demanding to be the center of attention, shallow expression of emotions which shift rapidly, and speaks in a manner that is overly impressionistic and lacking in detail.      

In these very frustrating cases, the stalker may believe that he is the victim. Sometimes he even reports his victim to the police as having stalked him . . . . In these cases, the true stalker is usually the one who initiated contact, although this is not always so. . . . In reality, this kind of stalker suffers from a severe lack of self esteem. He feels very inferior to the victim whom he admires greatly, although he will rarely admit this to be true. These stalkers, believing themselves to be inferior to, or wronged or rejected by the ones they admire most, begin harassing and following the victims, spreading tales, keeping tabs, and in many instances plotting revenge. . . . In false victimization syndrome, the stalker is extremely manipulative. Very frequently he convinces himself and others that the victim is the one at fault, when in truth the victim frequently would have had no contact with or knowledge of the stalker if the stalker had not begun a campaign against him. Often the victim is reported to the authorities for defending himself from the stalker. . . . Frequently delusional and always irrational, when presented with the facts, this stalker will rationalize and manipulate everything he can and ignore even a direct question, in order to preserve his fantasy of being the victim. He will initiate conflicts and then twist them in his favor in an attempt to gain positive attention for himself. He wants, in a nutshell, to be like his victim and when he feels that he does not measure up, his motive is to bring his victim down. Sometimes this means merely trying to ruin his victim's reputation by spreading lies and rumors. Other times, this means murder.     

August 22, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

Getting on with life......

Thank you to all who answered my question about the Definition of Toxic. I am still sort of unclear as to the blanket definition. It is a such a popular term but the definition seems to be up to the individual labeling the offensive person (i.e. The Toxic Person) which I don't believe to be a fair thing. I could label someone Toxic because I don't like the fact that they don't like pink the same way I do-- I mean, it is a fad description run amok.   

I think that putting the reasons in a letter for a friend with whom you choose to sever contact is an excellent idea. However, please make sure that this letter actually explains the reasons and doesn't just resort to name calling and being hateful. Hurtful, accusatory letters don't make the person you are addressing feel any better.  

I don't know. I suppose the reason I am so intrigued by this question is that I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to sit and discuss this issue with the person in question because they are unwilling to even entertain the idea of a simple discussion to try and work out the issues. It is very hard for me to get past the idea that someone out there in the world wants nothing to do with me and has nothing but hateful things to say to anyone they can about me.   

They (this mother and daughter who have hurt me so) that I am toxic, and evil and that I need help. Well maybe I do need some help, but I have never thought of myself as being evil. This whole situation (see my blog http://diaryofabully.blogspot.com/ for the whole story) has caused me so much pain, but I can also say that it has caused me to examine myself very closely.  

I have gone through and dissected the friendship that I supposedly spent the better part of (as they accuse me) bullying my friend and "underminding her". I can't understand their accusations because realistically I didn't spend enough time with "Danielle" to have time to bully her. We weren't that close, but that makes the situation even more hurtful.   

I just need help in dealing with this accusation that she (and her mother) find me to be "an indecent person" for no apparent reason. At least they refuse to give me a reason. Instead they want to talk to all my friends and try to convince them that I am no good, and that I am dangerous.   

Luckily, all my friends think that she is crazy. I honestly can't see how I have ever offended her in the ways that she claims.  I am honestly trying to figure this out. I know that I am not perfect but I have been able to maintain healthy relationships, and this is the only one that has turned out to be this way.   

I can't completely understand why it hurts me so, but it does-- and I am still in the process of trying to figure it all out. I am still researching some clinical definitions of toxic friend, but it appears to me that it is a personal definition.   

If it is, indeed, a personal definition then it stands to reason that a person could make up reasons to get rid of someone else? Most of my good friends, and family have postulated that perhaps Danielle and her mother wanted an excuse to get rid of me as a friend?  

I have also heard that there are those people who routinely "clean out" their friends list. I have always thought this to be a rather cold and unfeeling thing to do. What ever happened to loyalty? Working out problems instead of dropping a friend faster than a bad habit?   

I have never been through this before and it is my first experience dealing with all out rejection like this. I am sorry if I seem obsessive or something, but I am trying to work it out and I feel like if I figure it out then I can get on with my life.   

Girl, I think its only natural to be a little "obsessive" about this-- these people have "dumped" you, given you no actual reason that you can understand, and they are spreading nasty things about you. It would only be human to obsess a bit about your situation! Like you said, its never happened to you before.  

I'm willing to bet you will come out of this a better person. You are willing to examine yourself and your actions, to admit your faults, and to do your best to try to be a better person. This person and her mother sound like hurtful, manipulative people, its actually quite childish. I know its easy to say "forget about them!" but hard to really do that, because this has been very hurtful for  you.  

Have you read any of dr. Phil's books? His books "life strategies" and "self matters" are both really good, you should read either one of them. Its helpful to have guidance when you are going through a personal growing spurt, thats what I felt I was going through when I read the books.  

Listen, you can try to define the meaning of "toxic friend" for the rest of your life, but its not going to help you to heal and move forward...it doesn't really matter what the real definition is, its different for each person who uses the term. For reasons that are not understandable, these people don't want to be your friend any longer. Its their loss...move forward and enjoy the friends you do have. I wish you the best!! You will be happy and have many more friendships. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last