Message Boards

Topic : 01/01 Mama Drama

Number of Replies: 429
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Saturday, September 29, 2007, 09:20:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/03/07) Hating your own mother is hard to imagine, but today’s guests say they want nothing to do with the women who gave them life. Dr. Phil speaks with feuding mothers and daughters. Nineteen-year-old Megan says her mom, Tracy, is nothing but her egg donor. Megan has been singing since she was a child and is now a rising star in the music industry, but she says all she wants is for her pushy stage mom to butt out of her life. Tracy says Megan’s record deal is the worst thing that ever happened because it turned her sweet daughter into a stereotypical rock-and-roll singer who’s into sex, booze, drugs and rebellion. Can this relationship be saved? Then, Carrie calls her mother, Sarah, the “spawn of Satan.” Carrie wrote a book about Sarah’s real life near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer. Now the mother and daughter are fighting over who owns the rights to this compelling page-turner. Will they heal their relationship so that the book can get published? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2007, 7:36 am CDT

What happened to dealing w/ the issues?

I remember when Dr. Phil actually dealt with peoples problems in a way that was helpful to them and to his audience.  I have noticed lately that he seems to just repeat the story over and over after each commercial and then there isn't enough time to deal with anything.  They air some of their problems and don't get any real help. I wish the show would go back to the days when they gave enough time and didn't repeat so much of what everyone already knew....how many times did they really need to say that the mother on this show that she had been stalked by a serial killer?  I wish he had focused on helping the mom and daughter instead of just airing a couple of their problems and leaving them dead in the water.  My hope is that the show returns to it's roots and stops using the dramatic issues as a catch.  I would really like to hear some practicle counsel and get some meat out of the show like I used to.  As it is, I couldn't care less about shows that just use people and their problems to draw an audience......I would like to see some real solutions and helps.

October 3, 2007, 7:42 am CDT

Why reward bad behavior?

Wow - Snotty Daughters, Distraught Mothers and NO SOLUTIONS!  Then the bratty daughter gets the stage because she happened to be blessed with a voice.  Who cares???  I sure don't!!!  What a huge disppointment this show was!  I feel like I completely wasted my time watching!  My mother died 14 years ago too and I'd give anything in the world to have her back in my life.  These daughters should be ashamed of themselves!

October 3, 2007, 7:57 am CDT

Sarah is the biggest brat on the show

Hey Sarah, it was TWENTY YEARS AGO!  You are no longer the victim here!  Why don't you try to grow up a little bit?  You showed your behind worse than my two-year-old ever has.  I was ashamed to see you as a grown woman with grown children acting the way you did.  I'm amazed you didn't hold your breath until you turned blue!  Sheesh!  Stop acting like the victim, grow your little fanny up and let your daughter publish that book!  You didn't have a problem with it until the dollar signs popped up in your greedy beady eyes!  Admit it!

October 3, 2007, 8:17 am CDT

Your case is different

Quote From: kimjo04

This is how i describe my the woman that gave birth to me, I won't give her the power to hate her, she let her husband rape me and she told me it was my fault that I was a liar! But i turned it around to all good in my life, we all can do that, we control us! I don't speak to her AT ALL! But I have 4 wonderful children & 3 Grandsons ( through my Daughters marriage) and 1 grandaughter! How lucky am I!!!!
Your situation is entirely different.  You were a victim of horrific abuse.  There are a lot of really bad parents in the world, but Megan's mom isn't one of them.

October 3, 2007, 8:26 am CDT

daughters

Quote From: ejsail

Wow - Snotty Daughters, Distraught Mothers and NO SOLUTIONS!  Then the bratty daughter gets the stage because she happened to be blessed with a voice.  Who cares???  I sure don't!!!  What a huge disppointment this show was!  I feel like I completely wasted my time watching!  My mother died 14 years ago too and I'd give anything in the world to have her back in my life.  These daughters should be ashamed of themselves!

I agree with you ....My mother is no longer here.And i would give anything to have her back,,,Amen

October 3, 2007, 8:42 am CDT

SELFISH SPOILED BRAT

This is a girl typical of the times.   Most probably, she rarely heard the word "no" and was always told how beautiful and talented she was.  When Mom had to start setting limits and things didn't go Megan's way, the rebellion began!!  I do think Mom was overprotective and got into her daughter's business a little more than she should, but that does not warrant the abuse from Megan.  The (so-called) friend came between mother and daughter at a time when Megan was vulnerable.  Giving her alcohol, letting her smoke -- all the things Mom said "no" to.  She has certainly done Megan no favors.  Megan will find that her "friends" will stick with her while she's on top; but when times get rough, they will be nowhere around.

As for Mom, as much as this hurts, trying to force her to see your side is only making things worse.  When she matures and/or has a child of her own, maybe she will begin to understand.  The best thing you can do is just sit back and get involved in your own activities.  Give her the space she needs and when her life starts to fall apart, she will come back to the one who truly loves her.   Trust me; I know what I'm talking about. 

October 3, 2007, 8:46 am CDT

You Go Girl!

Quote From: kimjo04

This is how i describe my the woman that gave birth to me, I won't give her the power to hate her, she let her husband rape me and she told me it was my fault that I was a liar! But i turned it around to all good in my life, we all can do that, we control us! I don't speak to her AT ALL! But I have 4 wonderful children & 3 Grandsons ( through my Daughters marriage) and 1 grandaughter! How lucky am I!!!!

Although your story is different in terms of your mother and the horrific abuse you endured...I just want to commend you on how you have "chosen" to LIVE your LIFE!  I love how you say you wouldn't give power to the hate that you felt! I hope many other's read your story and mirror your decision to carry on by giving power to YOU and no one else!!!!!!  You are truly Blessed!

October 3, 2007, 9:32 am CDT

What is a mother?

Re: The first guests on the show - I was so glad Dr. Phil used the word "SNOTTY"  to describe the rapper girl who hated her mother. I wish Dr. Phil had let this family be on the whole hour.  I don't think he said what he should have to this mother and daughter because he ran out of time.  She kept saying her mother wasn't a mother to her while she was growing up.  I heard this mother saying she had to nail windows shut to keep her from sneaking out at night.  Her mother hid her money so she wouldn't blow it all on her wild living style, which included drugs  Her mother kept her away from her friends who were a bad influence.  Aren't these things a mother should do?  She was trying to keep her daughter from the train wreck lifestyle she was headed for.  This mother raised her daughter without the help of a father to bounce things off of.  She let her daughter pursue her dream of singing from a very young age.  She wanted to be there to keep sharks and vultures from destroying her.  A mother is supposed to be there for her children.  Unfortunately, the sharks and vultures got to her anyway.  Especially that woman in the audience who said she was more of a mother to her than her own mother.  Let's see under her 'guidance' this girl began drugging and drinking and having sex and wild parties, at 16, I believe she said.  Lady, that is not what a good mother does for a daughter.  And then when Dr. Phil asked her why she let her do this she said "I wasn't her mother. Where was her mother."  Her mother couldn't be there because she was playing both mother and father, she had to work.  She responsibly got a chaperone to go with her daughter and expected the chaperone to make her 16 year old daughter behave and keep her safe.  I swear that woman was like one of these dangerous cult leaders.  She has completely hoodwinked this daughter and turned her against her mom.  And then Dr. Phil gave this snotty, disrespectful daughter a reward by letting her sing on the show.  I think this mother should just take Dr. Phil's advice and let her daughter do what she wants.  I know we can all see where she is headed.  But she is a know-it-all and you're never going to get anywhere.  I hope you believe in God. You're going to have to turn her over to God and pray for her everyday.

October 3, 2007, 9:54 am CDT

10/03 Mama Drama

Quote From: gumdonna

Re: The first guests on the show - I was so glad Dr. Phil used the word "SNOTTY"  to describe the rapper girl who hated her mother. I wish Dr. Phil had let this family be on the whole hour.  I don't think he said what he should have to this mother and daughter because he ran out of time.  She kept saying her mother wasn't a mother to her while she was growing up.  I heard this mother saying she had to nail windows shut to keep her from sneaking out at night.  Her mother hid her money so she wouldn't blow it all on her wild living style, which included drugs  Her mother kept her away from her friends who were a bad influence.  Aren't these things a mother should do?  She was trying to keep her daughter from the train wreck lifestyle she was headed for.  This mother raised her daughter without the help of a father to bounce things off of.  She let her daughter pursue her dream of singing from a very young age.  She wanted to be there to keep sharks and vultures from destroying her.  A mother is supposed to be there for her children.  Unfortunately, the sharks and vultures got to her anyway.  Especially that woman in the audience who said she was more of a mother to her than her own mother.  Let's see under her 'guidance' this girl began drugging and drinking and having sex and wild parties, at 16, I believe she said.  Lady, that is not what a good mother does for a daughter.  And then when Dr. Phil asked her why she let her do this she said "I wasn't her mother. Where was her mother."  Her mother couldn't be there because she was playing both mother and father, she had to work.  She responsibly got a chaperone to go with her daughter and expected the chaperone to make her 16 year old daughter behave and keep her safe.  I swear that woman was like one of these dangerous cult leaders.  She has completely hoodwinked this daughter and turned her against her mom.  And then Dr. Phil gave this snotty, disrespectful daughter a reward by letting her sing on the show.  I think this mother should just take Dr. Phil's advice and let her daughter do what she wants.  I know we can all see where she is headed.  But she is a know-it-all and you're never going to get anywhere.  I hope you believe in God. You're going to have to turn her over to God and pray for her everyday.
 He certainly didn't "reward" my ears. The cello and piano music were so pleasant,  could've listened for hours. But, that gal's  voice?  Sixty second's couldn't go by before I had to hit the mute button.
I

October 3, 2007, 9:56 am CDT

10/03 Mama Drama

Quote From: belisana

This is a girl typical of the times.   Most probably, she rarely heard the word "no" and was always told how beautiful and talented she was.  When Mom had to start setting limits and things didn't go Megan's way, the rebellion began!!  I do think Mom was overprotective and got into her daughter's business a little more than she should, but that does not warrant the abuse from Megan.  The (so-called) friend came between mother and daughter at a time when Megan was vulnerable.  Giving her alcohol, letting her smoke -- all the things Mom said "no" to.  She has certainly done Megan no favors.  Megan will find that her "friends" will stick with her while she's on top; but when times get rough, they will be nowhere around.

As for Mom, as much as this hurts, trying to force her to see your side is only making things worse.  When she matures and/or has a child of her own, maybe she will begin to understand.  The best thing you can do is just sit back and get involved in your own activities.  Give her the space she needs and when her life starts to fall apart, she will come back to the one who truly loves her.   Trust me; I know what I'm talking about. 

Yepper. She'll come back. And, after a few years, be on one of Dr Phil's "moocher" shows!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last