Message Boards

Topic : 01/01 Mama Drama

Number of Replies: 429
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Saturday, September 29, 2007, 09:20:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/03/07) Hating your own mother is hard to imagine, but today’s guests say they want nothing to do with the women who gave them life. Dr. Phil speaks with feuding mothers and daughters. Nineteen-year-old Megan says her mom, Tracy, is nothing but her egg donor. Megan has been singing since she was a child and is now a rising star in the music industry, but she says all she wants is for her pushy stage mom to butt out of her life. Tracy says Megan’s record deal is the worst thing that ever happened because it turned her sweet daughter into a stereotypical rock-and-roll singer who’s into sex, booze, drugs and rebellion. Can this relationship be saved? Then, Carrie calls her mother, Sarah, the “spawn of Satan.” Carrie wrote a book about Sarah’s real life near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer. Now the mother and daughter are fighting over who owns the rights to this compelling page-turner. Will they heal their relationship so that the book can get published? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2007, 12:45 pm CDT

hello....

does anyone else notice that Megans "friend" is a totally manipulating her???
for one she's way to old to be her friend.
secondly i love how she said " she's not my daughter", well no she isn't thats why her actual mother was stepping in.
third, she doesn't actually care about Megan at all what she is doing is trying to feel younger by hanging out with a 19year old....lady your not 19 not even close

i also think Megan is being a total brat!

im 21years old. i've been married now for almost 3years i have a beautiful daughter and i still need my mom... i don't even know where i would be without her. i think Megan just needs someone to tell her that she's being a brat or maybe a kick in the butt.

October 3, 2007, 12:49 pm CDT

What is your motivation????

Quote From: whatever247

You saw what television editing allowed you to see. Unless you know them personally how can you make such conclusions?

Unless you were there to live this dysfunctional life, that they have lived, you dont know.

And I believe the Lady in the audience said she did not allow anything, but rather than stick her head in the sand and realizing that teenagers are what they are, she chose to keep the communication open with this troubled teen.

This teenager could have been a whole lot worse, but because of her recording deal, she was watched closer than any of us that grew up "Normally" and took a drink or tried a smoke.

Her mother, I'm sure did try, and did make mistakes as do we all, but pointing the finger at Megan, the Recording Industry, Friends or anyone is not the answer.

Maybe, just maybe she should admit her mistakes instead of blaming everyone around her.

Has anyone heard Megans song "I'll pay you to shoot him? Her father WAS in her life, she didnt want him there, but her mother insisted. Until he tried to kill them both (allegedly)

All I am saying is that after watching 15 minutes of someones TV edited life, who has the right to be so damned judgmental...

Shame on all of you.... Haters!!!!

When you come on a national TV show and share the good, bad, & ugly about your family, you forego any right not to be judged.  And in reading your quote, I am sure it is safe to say that you probably know Megan pretty well considering you know so much about her father and his role in her life.  And I am not trying to be petty, but I'm pretty sure not many people have heard Megan's song "I'll pay you to shoot him" or any others since no one knows who she is!  That is precisely why she, mom, and her 2nd mom came on the show to begin with... PUBLICITY!  How ironic that her first CD is getting ready to come out!  I can't believe Dr. Phil even put them on considering their obvious motivation! I think like so many others trying to make it in the entertainment industry, these people would sell any story to have their faces on TV. 

October 3, 2007, 12:49 pm CDT

not all mothers love their daughters

This mother wants Dr. Phil to believe that because she is a mother therefore she loves her daughter.  But some mothers just do not have the natural instincts most of us take for granted.  This mother's actions and words show that she has no love for her daughter.  She was very quick to dispute her daughter - make her daughter out to be a liar - while totally ignoring her daughter's obvious pride in reaching a goal of sobriety.  The mother easily offers up any evidence - flimsy or not - to publically damage her daughter's reputation.  And she does not apologize for her behavior that leaves her daughter feeling as if she never had a mother at all.  Maybe the daughter does not have quite the maturity to articulate her anger and dispair at the hands of her mothers' upbringing - but she has clearly suffered and is being very brave to carry-on regardless. 

Just like when spouses betray one another - the victim most often cannot forgive and move on unless the other owns up to the betrayal- or emotional or verbal abuse - and EARNS back trust.  This mother makes no apology.  The daughter just has to find love and support in this world where she can find it.  It will not come from her mother, I'm afraid.  Some times these things happen.  Maternal instincts are not always there.

October 3, 2007, 12:50 pm CDT

grow up for the friend and the girl

I am still burning about how the friend said the mother doesnt take responsibility but didnt do HER JOB as the CHAPERONE.  Gimme a break!!  this "friend" is only around for the glory but if Megan stays on this path this all the glory she will see!!!  karma to the friend!!!

October 3, 2007, 12:52 pm CDT

Oh! But for the grace of God! Mama Drama!

Dr Phi...

This could be my daughter and myself!  The only difference is my daughter is not an entertainer which means, of course, I am not a "pushy stage mom".

My daugher has not spoken to me in over 10 years and I honestly do not know why!  I now have a new grand daughter who will be 3-months old the end of this month and i have yet to see her and hold her  in my arms.

During divorce court proceedings 10 YEARS AGO, she stated, "just because someone gives biirth to a child does not make her a mother."  The thing is, we were on speaking terms , although volital, up to 6-months before the divorce and then she just turned violent and ugly! 

Did I make mistakes during my marriage?  ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Was i always there for her?  No.  BUT what she doesn't understand is i protected her from things she knows nothing about.  Supported her on her decision to have an abortion at 18 even though i felt in my heart that is not what she wanted to do.  She really doesn't realize it was her father who manipulated her into having it. 

She is so very angry and hateful.  I have tried everything to get her to come to the center.  I even apolozied for all of the hurt i caused her while she was growing up.  I have appealed to her many times to just tell me what is so deep seeded that causes so much hate and anger and she will not reply.

We mothers know when we make mistakes.  We know when her hurt our children.  We know, also, that no matter how badly they treat us, we will DIE FOR THEM!

The daughters on your show today are spoiled and actually believe their are "entitled" to whatever it is they cry for!  They do not realize their anger towards their mothers is not about their mothers, but about THEMSELVES! 

October 3, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

Validation

Being a woman who came from a very emotionally and physically abusive home, I can see how a daughter might want nothing to do with her mother. My mother was a woman who should have never been able to have children. She is a drug addict with Munchousin Sydrome by proxy and everything is all about her. Money hungry is a good word. So I am sympathetic to daughters who are affected by their mothers actions in negative ways.

October 3, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

About the drug use

I think the daughter meant that she was so unhappy and hurt that she "was driven" to self-medicate.  But she has paid the price - and achieving sobriety after an addiction is very difficult.  I applaud her and feel that she has a lot of self clarity and courage. 

October 3, 2007, 12:58 pm CDT

Ask yourself

How can you be expected to be an adult, and not a "brat" when you have nothing but a pushy, overbearing woman as your guidance and influence? Point the finger only when you have been in that situation.

October 3, 2007, 1:00 pm CDT

10/03 Mama Drama

Quote From: tob3onlyurs

does anyone else notice that Megans "friend" is a totally manipulating her???
for one she's way to old to be her friend.
secondly i love how she said " she's not my daughter", well no she isn't thats why her actual mother was stepping in.
third, she doesn't actually care about Megan at all what she is doing is trying to feel younger by hanging out with a 19year old....lady your not 19 not even close

i also think Megan is being a total brat!

im 21years old. i've been married now for almost 3years i have a beautiful daughter and i still need my mom... i don't even know where i would be without her. i think Megan just needs someone to tell her that she's being a brat or maybe a kick in the butt.
Amen!

October 3, 2007, 1:06 pm CDT

10/03 Mama Drama

Quote From: marzapan

Dr Phi...

This could be my daughter and myself!  The only difference is my daughter is not an entertainer which means, of course, I am not a "pushy stage mom".

My daugher has not spoken to me in over 10 years and I honestly do not know why!  I now have a new grand daughter who will be 3-months old the end of this month and i have yet to see her and hold her  in my arms.

During divorce court proceedings 10 YEARS AGO, she stated, "just because someone gives biirth to a child does not make her a mother."  The thing is, we were on speaking terms , although volital, up to 6-months before the divorce and then she just turned violent and ugly! 

Did I make mistakes during my marriage?  ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Was i always there for her?  No.  BUT what she doesn't understand is i protected her from things she knows nothing about.  Supported her on her decision to have an abortion at 18 even though i felt in my heart that is not what she wanted to do.  She really doesn't realize it was her father who manipulated her into having it. 

She is so very angry and hateful.  I have tried everything to get her to come to the center.  I even apolozied for all of the hurt i caused her while she was growing up.  I have appealed to her many times to just tell me what is so deep seeded that causes so much hate and anger and she will not reply.

We mothers know when we make mistakes.  We know when her hurt our children.  We know, also, that no matter how badly they treat us, we will DIE FOR THEM!

The daughters on your show today are spoiled and actually believe their are "entitled" to whatever it is they cry for!  They do not realize their anger towards their mothers is not about their mothers, but about THEMSELVES! 

Children know when they are loved and when they are not.  Don't you think your daughter is entittled to be in a relationship  that is not filled with pain and hurt.  You haven't earned back your daugther's trust - sounds like.  Now that she's in a position to assess your true motives for herself - you don't seem to respect or like that.  If you've done something - or many things - that were so bad that your daughter cannot forgive you - then you must live with that.  No daughter wants to live life without a loving mother.  Choosing to do so is a drastic measure and it speaks volumes.  This is just my opinion.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last