Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 31, 2005, 8:50 am CDT

Have I conquered MINDLESS SPENDING?

Tomorrow is the 1st and I have to ask myself today if I made my goal or not.  It's really hard to say cause I did accomplish quite a bit.  I'm really amazed at how much I've tackled and how much fear/anxiety/worry I've been able to deal with.   

I have kept to logging in my spending every day this month.  I did forget but I kept my receipts which I'm saving for my 2005 taxes at the end of the year.  This year, the government is allowing us to take off sales taxes (and I live in an area where I pay 7.5%).  But it was because of me facing my PIG PEN emotion -- which is fear based - which was written when I was a kid.   

Today is the last day.  Tomorrow, I'll print it and it will be time to review it. 

I got zapped by a friend and I'm out of $60 - I knew better but she knows when I'm weak and hit me at that time.  Hey, buttons are buttons -- but now, I've faced that old ancient emotion/feeling and have named it PIG PEN so it won't be happening again. 

So far, I've stayed below my spending allocation for the month - by $111.00 -- that's something major for me.  I did find myself saying "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?"  and if I answered yes, then I asked  "CAN I PUT IT ON MY MONTHLY SHOPPING LIST?" and that seemed to keep my spending way down! 

I put in a plan for the next time my friend sees me in a weak moment - I can and will say no.  She's more of a sister now and family really don't get mad, they just let it go .... 

so my answer is:  YES!  I have conquered it - it still needs to be practiced but once I've practiced it for a while, it will become a habit/behavior in my life.  I won't even remember that I was doing this exercise a year from now cause I'll be working on a new goal! 

August 31, 2005, 6:44 pm CDT

Hi Marcia

Quote From: marcia52

Tomorrow is the 1st and I have to ask myself today if I made my goal or not.  It's really hard to say cause I did accomplish quite a bit.  I'm really amazed at how much I've tackled and how much fear/anxiety/worry I've been able to deal with.   

I have kept to logging in my spending every day this month.  I did forget but I kept my receipts which I'm saving for my 2005 taxes at the end of the year.  This year, the government is allowing us to take off sales taxes (and I live in an area where I pay 7.5%).  But it was because of me facing my PIG PEN emotion -- which is fear based - which was written when I was a kid.   

Today is the last day.  Tomorrow, I'll print it and it will be time to review it. 

I got zapped by a friend and I'm out of $60 - I knew better but she knows when I'm weak and hit me at that time.  Hey, buttons are buttons -- but now, I've faced that old ancient emotion/feeling and have named it PIG PEN so it won't be happening again. 

So far, I've stayed below my spending allocation for the month - by $111.00 -- that's something major for me.  I did find myself saying "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?"  and if I answered yes, then I asked  "CAN I PUT IT ON MY MONTHLY SHOPPING LIST?" and that seemed to keep my spending way down! 

I put in a plan for the next time my friend sees me in a weak moment - I can and will say no.  She's more of a sister now and family really don't get mad, they just let it go .... 

so my answer is:  YES!  I have conquered it - it still needs to be practiced but once I've practiced it for a while, it will become a habit/behavior in my life.  I won't even remember that I was doing this exercise a year from now cause I'll be working on a new goal! 

I just wanted to say how Proud of You I am. 

Rog 

September 1, 2005, 8:40 am CDT

Thanks Rog!

Can you tell me the author's name for the book you recommended?  I was at 1/2 Price Books and I couldn't remember his name.  I remembered RICH DAD/POOR DAD as the title.   

Suze's book is good at helping me face my fears - but even I know that later I will need to get a couple of different viewpoints so that I can experiment with what works for me when I finally get my debt paid off and I can start investing my savings.   

September 1, 2005, 5:34 pm CDT

Your Welcome Marcia

Can you tell me the author's name for the book you recommended?  I was at 1/2 Price Books and I couldn't remember his name.  I remembered RICH DAD/POOR DAD as the title.   

Suze's book is good at helping me face my fears - but even I know that later I will need to get a couple of different viewpoints so that I can experiment with what works for me when I finally get my debt paid off and I can start investing my savings.   

His name is Robert Kiyosaki - with the co-author Sharon Lechter.  Marcia - question pro favor - would you object to giving me your email, or I'll give you mine - which ever you prefer so I can go further in info - if not I'll do it here. 

Rog 

September 2, 2005, 8:42 am CDT

Hmmm....

Quote From: renagade

His name is Robert Kiyosaki - with the co-author Sharon Lechter.  Marcia - question pro favor - would you object to giving me your email, or I'll give you mine - which ever you prefer so I can go further in info - if not I'll do it here. 

Rog 

Right now, I feel more comfortable writing you here.  I'm working other issues and I tend to enmesh them all into 1 when I get an AHA or WOW moment.    

September 2, 2005, 4:38 pm CDT

Marcia

Right now, I feel more comfortable writing you here.  I'm working other issues and I tend to enmesh them all into 1 when I get an AHA or WOW moment.    

And I shall Respect your wishes. 

It was two years ago when my ex saw this Bob Kiyosaki on Oprahs show, and told me about his book.  I didn't get it for a couple of reasons.  Then about two months later I happened to be in the bookstore and saw it.  I started thumbing thru the pages and said Hmmmmm - bought it and started reading it immediately.  I was transfixed.  When I told her about some of the things Bob mentioned she was upset, basically because the author agreed with my point of view on some items.  24 to 36 hours after I finished reading - I decided to give myself 2 years to quit being a 'slave to a paycheck' and semi-retire.  I also decided to quit worring about my bills and instead to look for ways as Bob said to create wealth - It seemed that Bob was saying 'bills do not create wealth, but wealth takes care of bills.'   

I have created a website that has only got one more thing to do - I have everything in place for when it's finished.  There is another item that is in the works, but more about that later. 

As for Suze Orman - I've watched her show about 12 to 15 times and she doesn't seem to be as strong on people creating wealth in a short period of time - Am I wrong or right on this? 

Rigt now I am preparing to begin a work project that will see me working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 to 6 weeks. 

Let me know how your doing - keep doing great because I know that your on the right track. 

Rog 

September 3, 2005, 5:58 am CDT

You are right about Suze....

And I shall Respect your wishes. 

It was two years ago when my ex saw this Bob Kiyosaki on Oprahs show, and told me about his book.  I didn't get it for a couple of reasons.  Then about two months later I happened to be in the bookstore and saw it.  I started thumbing thru the pages and said Hmmmmm - bought it and started reading it immediately.  I was transfixed.  When I told her about some of the things Bob mentioned she was upset, basically because the author agreed with my point of view on some items.  24 to 36 hours after I finished reading - I decided to give myself 2 years to quit being a 'slave to a paycheck' and semi-retire.  I also decided to quit worring about my bills and instead to look for ways as Bob said to create wealth - It seemed that Bob was saying 'bills do not create wealth, but wealth takes care of bills.'   

I have created a website that has only got one more thing to do - I have everything in place for when it's finished.  There is another item that is in the works, but more about that later. 

As for Suze Orman - I've watched her show about 12 to 15 times and she doesn't seem to be as strong on people creating wealth in a short period of time - Am I wrong or right on this? 

Rigt now I am preparing to begin a work project that will see me working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 to 6 weeks. 

Let me know how your doing - keep doing great because I know that your on the right track. 

Rog 

Suze is more of an educator in finances ...  She has you working thru your feelings & thoughts & most importantly your FEARS about money.  She does introduce you to things like doing your will, creating trusts, insurances.  Then she starts introducing you to investments.  It's like Finance 101.   

For me it was the fear I had to get over with - I was just so very very tired of sabotaging myself left and right.  Answering her questions about my childhood & money was rather enlightening -- I've done Self Matters and it allowed me to LISTEN TO WHAT I WAS SAYING and to challenge the faulty thinking.  It really was enlightening.  I also like her words:  CREDIT CARD DEBT IS BONDAGE.  THAT I HAD CREATED A LIVING PRISON. 

And I realized it was just so true!  The fears that surfaced when I started to work on developing a plan to start paying down my debt and then do something about it was awful!  I had so many fears popping up that I had to sit down and listen to them and work each one before I could finally take the 1st step - make a decision on which one gets paid off first! 

Sounds like your ex- is more like me -- needs to do start at Finance 101.  Sounds like you had a good sense of money being your servant than me.   

I'm going to keep posting because it's a method of accountability.  Especially if I feel shamed or embarrassed about something - I'd rather tell the world so I can move forward. 

I gave myself 1 year to incorporate Self Matters into my life - then I gave myself 3 and took an early retirement to work out who I am.  Not what I was told to be.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  I'm on month 9 now.  I'm allowing myself to not push or shove any more.  I want to explore what my purpose is, what do I want to for fun not profit.  I like the simple life style.   

However, I will learn to invest, I will learn to make money -- but I'm going to have fun doing it or else it's more like work than purpose. 

Good luck on your project!  Hope it turns out well.  And let me know when you website gets published - I'll check it out. 

September 3, 2005, 6:48 pm CDT

Congrats Marcia

Suze is more of an educator in finances ...  She has you working thru your feelings & thoughts & most importantly your FEARS about money.  She does introduce you to things like doing your will, creating trusts, insurances.  Then she starts introducing you to investments.  It's like Finance 101.   

For me it was the fear I had to get over with - I was just so very very tired of sabotaging myself left and right.  Answering her questions about my childhood & money was rather enlightening -- I've done Self Matters and it allowed me to LISTEN TO WHAT I WAS SAYING and to challenge the faulty thinking.  It really was enlightening.  I also like her words:  CREDIT CARD DEBT IS BONDAGE.  THAT I HAD CREATED A LIVING PRISON. 

And I realized it was just so true!  The fears that surfaced when I started to work on developing a plan to start paying down my debt and then do something about it was awful!  I had so many fears popping up that I had to sit down and listen to them and work each one before I could finally take the 1st step - make a decision on which one gets paid off first! 

Sounds like your ex- is more like me -- needs to do start at Finance 101.  Sounds like you had a good sense of money being your servant than me.   

I'm going to keep posting because it's a method of accountability.  Especially if I feel shamed or embarrassed about something - I'd rather tell the world so I can move forward. 

I gave myself 1 year to incorporate Self Matters into my life - then I gave myself 3 and took an early retirement to work out who I am.  Not what I was told to be.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  I'm on month 9 now.  I'm allowing myself to not push or shove any more.  I want to explore what my purpose is, what do I want to for fun not profit.  I like the simple life style.   

However, I will learn to invest, I will learn to make money -- but I'm going to have fun doing it or else it's more like work than purpose. 

Good luck on your project!  Hope it turns out well.  And let me know when you website gets published - I'll check it out. 

I can hear you growing by Leaps and Bounds!!! 

As far as a good sense for money - I was never afraid of it - when I was little the prevailing wisdom was don't discuss money matter with your children - so any time I walked into a room where they were discussing money - they ushered me out - which just wanted me to know what they were talking about all the more!!! 

My ex and I have almost totally opposite view on money and how to acquire it.  I didn't get a really good sense for money till I starting listening to people who had it - even the wildcatters, renagades, and 'regular' people.  Once I realized what they were saying - I almost totally lost my fears - just wanted to know more - then after reading Rich Dad - I totally lost any fears remaining I had - then it became 'full speed ahead'!  I know your going to get there. 

Marcia - you are sooo right - work out who you are - not what your told.  You are right it has to be fun - there was a show about 4 years ago on those that had made it - and the one indegrinate was that they had fun doing what they did and making money at the same time - they didn't consider it work. 

Rog  

September 4, 2005, 6:32 am CDT

Yes, work should be play

I can hear you growing by Leaps and Bounds!!! 

As far as a good sense for money - I was never afraid of it - when I was little the prevailing wisdom was don't discuss money matter with your children - so any time I walked into a room where they were discussing money - they ushered me out - which just wanted me to know what they were talking about all the more!!! 

My ex and I have almost totally opposite view on money and how to acquire it.  I didn't get a really good sense for money till I starting listening to people who had it - even the wildcatters, renagades, and 'regular' people.  Once I realized what they were saying - I almost totally lost my fears - just wanted to know more - then after reading Rich Dad - I totally lost any fears remaining I had - then it became 'full speed ahead'!  I know your going to get there. 

Marcia - you are sooo right - work out who you are - not what your told.  You are right it has to be fun - there was a show about 4 years ago on those that had made it - and the one indegrinate was that they had fun doing what they did and making money at the same time - they didn't consider it work. 

Rog  

I too was raised with money issues.  But ours was hearing MONEY FEARS.  About 10 years ago, I took a tape recorder when I visited my father's 2 sisters  and then to my mom's family reunion.  I asked them questions and learned so much about my family past. It was the best thing I ever did for myself!  I highly recommend it for people!   Especially if they have elders.  But now, with camcorders, you could actually do it a whole lot smarter. 

I learned that my mom lost her home and went from middle class to living in a 3-room shack. In the winter, they lived in 1 room.  They were eventually farmed out to different families.  Their dad deserted them and wouldn't pay a penny for their support. My dad was basically the same. 

By learning where they were coming from - I learned where I was coming from.  That my parents had pasted down their fears/shame to their kids. 

Right now, I'm just happy to finally hear myself say, I need to cut back again!  I need to only spend $$ this month.  How can I .....   It's pretty cool cause it's not causing to great of a fear.  But I'm still at the BEING COMFORTABLE with it before I do something.  I figure GOD will give me the time because it's what I'm having to learn right now in my life.  Sounds funny doesn't it?  but it's true... I discovered awhile back that if I just followed the lessons as they arrive and do something, no matter how small or big, I was always moving forward. 

September 4, 2005, 8:24 am CDT

I hear you Marcia

I too was raised with money issues.  But ours was hearing MONEY FEARS.  About 10 years ago, I took a tape recorder when I visited my father's 2 sisters  and then to my mom's family reunion.  I asked them questions and learned so much about my family past. It was the best thing I ever did for myself!  I highly recommend it for people!   Especially if they have elders.  But now, with camcorders, you could actually do it a whole lot smarter. 

I learned that my mom lost her home and went from middle class to living in a 3-room shack. In the winter, they lived in 1 room.  They were eventually farmed out to different families.  Their dad deserted them and wouldn't pay a penny for their support. My dad was basically the same. 

By learning where they were coming from - I learned where I was coming from.  That my parents had pasted down their fears/shame to their kids. 

Right now, I'm just happy to finally hear myself say, I need to cut back again!  I need to only spend $$ this month.  How can I .....   It's pretty cool cause it's not causing to great of a fear.  But I'm still at the BEING COMFORTABLE with it before I do something.  I figure GOD will give me the time because it's what I'm having to learn right now in my life.  Sounds funny doesn't it?  but it's true... I discovered awhile back that if I just followed the lessons as they arrive and do something, no matter how small or big, I was always moving forward. 

You are right, God will give you what you need when you need it - trust me - He has done that for me sooo many times, and no it isn't funny - it's Gods Plan.  God has given me wisdom when I needed it and will do the same for you, and you are doing the right thing by keeping yourself Open to His Voice - Just keep doing this and you'll never be wrong. 

What happened to your family - can and did leave a very lasting fear on you - very declarative - but with the help of God, you will overcome. 

Rog 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last