Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 4, 2005, 5:12 pm CDT

Isn't that the truth...

Quote From: renagade

You are right, God will give you what you need when you need it - trust me - He has done that for me sooo many times, and no it isn't funny - it's Gods Plan.  God has given me wisdom when I needed it and will do the same for you, and you are doing the right thing by keeping yourself Open to His Voice - Just keep doing this and you'll never be wrong. 

What happened to your family - can and did leave a very lasting fear on you - very declarative - but with the help of God, you will overcome. 

Rog 

I just told my niece today -- don't use the words IMPOSSIBLE, IT WON'T HAPPEN -- that closes all the doors.  I also know that if it happens in my life, than I can handle it.  I will either learn from it or it's a test to see if I got it yet. 

September 4, 2005, 6:12 pm CDT

If you live in United States bankruptcy laws are changing on October 17, 2005, and will be more rigid.

BEYOND THE HEADLINES

- News and Current Events

*******A Prayer Chain For All Prayers For All*******

Sunday, September 04, 2005, 05:11:10 pm PDT

Last reply on : Sunday, September 04, 2005, 05:55:34 pm

www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/451 Please pray for me, you and all. IF you are like me and your prayers for others often seem answered more than your prayers for you...post your prayer here for others to pray for you and please pray for me too. I will pray for whoever posts a prayer request as, hopefully, will others who stop by I'm certain. My prayers seem to work better for others than myself...so please pray for me and we will pray for each other here. Visit "A Prayer Chain" under Current Events often and tell your friends so I can pray for you and so we build the biggest and most spiritually powerful cyber prayer chain here. Let the current event in our lives every day be prayer. Let us Pray... on:

www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/451

September 6, 2005, 7:31 am CDT

Well, it's beginning to happen again!

I've haven't balanced my checkbook yet - didn't do it last month either.  I've returned to my old behavior and that's okay.  Berating myself for not doing something isn't going to derail me again!  I know that I'm just learning new behaviors and that I will revert back to my old safe behaviors/habits cause I've been living with them for a lot longer than 4 months.   

I know that at the beginning of the month, everything gets really busy in my life.  And then slowly everything gets quiet again.  I don't have commitments of family, friends, beloveds, etc.   Good thing I journal cause it sure does help me to focus.  And so is using my calendar to post the stuff I do ... like when I exercise, when an event happens.  It allows me to quickly go back and see what's going on in my life.  However, I do need a bigger calendar! 

September 6, 2005, 10:05 am CDT

Shopaholic??

I am a stay at home mom of 3. My husband works and earns good money. I have trouble staying out of stores. My husband makes more than enough to pay the bills, but we live paycheck, to paycheck.  I don't know how to control my spending. We only have two cedit cards, with a very low limit-600.00 for both, so I pay for everything with cash. I control all of our finances, so my husband has no idea where the money goes, and if he did, he would probably move out. I don't know what to do to control this. Any ideas?? I love my husband dearly, and don't want to loose him, but I also cannot control this. I spend until our accout is sucked dry every month. I do pay our bills, so I spend anything that left over that could be saved. Growing up my parents never taught us about money management. I don't even know how to balance a check book. I also think my excessive spending is heriditary. I have a grandmother that does it also. Can anyone please offer advise??  

September 6, 2005, 2:14 pm CDT

Marrrcccia

Quote From: marcia52

I've haven't balanced my checkbook yet - didn't do it last month either.  I've returned to my old behavior and that's okay.  Berating myself for not doing something isn't going to derail me again!  I know that I'm just learning new behaviors and that I will revert back to my old safe behaviors/habits cause I've been living with them for a lot longer than 4 months.   

I know that at the beginning of the month, everything gets really busy in my life.  And then slowly everything gets quiet again.  I don't have commitments of family, friends, beloveds, etc.   Good thing I journal cause it sure does help me to focus.  And so is using my calendar to post the stuff I do ... like when I exercise, when an event happens.  It allows me to quickly go back and see what's going on in my life.  However, I do need a bigger calendar! 

I think you have passed a Major hurdle - not doing something, but not beating yourself up - fantastic! 

I went back to past posts and I think I caught your first one that said "I Marcia will ..., and I Marcia willl..., and so on - I enjoyed reading it. 

You do have the commitment of this message board.  Remember to STAY  'FOCUSED' !!! 

Rog 

September 6, 2005, 2:38 pm CDT

I am scared to death

Several years ago my husband and I had to claim chapter 13, due to him losing his job and an unplanned  high risk pregnancy.  I do look back in retrospect and realize it was a blessing that he lost his job.  We would have never gotten out from under the debt due to the birth of our angel.    Here is the problem.  I have bipolar and in the past have had a huge problem with overspending and not paying bills and covering all of it up by lying and robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak.   The end of our bankruptcy is coming near and I do not know what to do.  I am scared to death that I will not be able to control myself.  My husband now has a job that more then will cover our bills and expenses.  I just don't know that I trust myself to do what needs to be done.  My husband works out of town 98% of the time and can't handle the bills and other things that need to be done.  I feel that I have learned a lot in the past few years with trying to manage with very little income.  I just don't feel that I have what it takes to do the job now.  I don't know how to budget our income virsus the outgo.  Our income is never the same week to week.  I am concerned that I will totally blow this opportunity to turn our lives around financially speaking.  Thanks for listening.

September 6, 2005, 5:18 pm CDT

Check out last week's Dr. Phil shows....

Quote From: ostler

I am a stay at home mom of 3. My husband works and earns good money. I have trouble staying out of stores. My husband makes more than enough to pay the bills, but we live paycheck, to paycheck.  I don't know how to control my spending. We only have two cedit cards, with a very low limit-600.00 for both, so I pay for everything with cash. I control all of our finances, so my husband has no idea where the money goes, and if he did, he would probably move out. I don't know what to do to control this. Any ideas?? I love my husband dearly, and don't want to loose him, but I also cannot control this. I spend until our accout is sucked dry every month. I do pay our bills, so I spend anything that left over that could be saved. Growing up my parents never taught us about money management. I don't even know how to balance a check book. I also think my excessive spending is heriditary. I have a grandmother that does it also. Can anyone please offer advise??  

I think last week Dr. Phil had a show dealing with women who were spending out of control.  He said it had to do with issues of deprivation.  Look into the 2005 archives and see if you can find it.  He provides a lot of assistance on that site. 

September 6, 2005, 5:22 pm CDT

Thanks...

Quote From: renagade

I think you have passed a Major hurdle - not doing something, but not beating yourself up - fantastic! 

I went back to past posts and I think I caught your first one that said "I Marcia will ..., and I Marcia willl..., and so on - I enjoyed reading it. 

You do have the commitment of this message board.  Remember to STAY  'FOCUSED' !!! 

Rog 

Yes, I committed to this goal of financial freedom.  It's not going to be easy, however, I know I can do it.  Getting past the berating myself for mistakes and being who I am has been a major midpoint for me.  Today, I've allowing myself time out -- it's been so busy in my life that I was driven by family & friends -- now it's just me and the beloveds (3 dogs, 4 cats, 1 kitten) -- it's really nice -- even my beloveds seem to be at peace now with me. 

September 6, 2005, 5:27 pm CDT

Go get Suze Orman's book....

Quote From: mayday

Several years ago my husband and I had to claim chapter 13, due to him losing his job and an unplanned  high risk pregnancy.  I do look back in retrospect and realize it was a blessing that he lost his job.  We would have never gotten out from under the debt due to the birth of our angel.    Here is the problem.  I have bipolar and in the past have had a huge problem with overspending and not paying bills and covering all of it up by lying and robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak.   The end of our bankruptcy is coming near and I do not know what to do.  I am scared to death that I will not be able to control myself.  My husband now has a job that more then will cover our bills and expenses.  I just don't know that I trust myself to do what needs to be done.  My husband works out of town 98% of the time and can't handle the bills and other things that need to be done.  I feel that I have learned a lot in the past few years with trying to manage with very little income.  I just don't feel that I have what it takes to do the job now.  I don't know how to budget our income virsus the outgo.  Our income is never the same week to week.  I am concerned that I will totally blow this opportunity to turn our lives around financially speaking.  Thanks for listening.

I'm currently working on doing Suze Orman's book:  The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom.  She explains how we have money fears, asks us to explore our fears and then begins a very slow process of working thru your money fears.  It's like Finance 101.   

I'm up to Step 4 - I have to do will, look into revocable trusts, life insurance, and stuff like that.  I have a will in place but I want to make a provision regarding my animals and just last week the paper had an article about it and told me what necessary forms I needed. 

She does go into doing investments and all.  I figure that once I finish her books (I also picked up THE LAWS OF MONEY), I will have conquered so much.  It's really more about not knowing anything now.   

I've faced many of my money fears like tracking my daily spending, developing a monthly allocation, and working a plan on paying off my debt (she calls credit card debt - bondage).   

p.s.  My goal is for the next time money comes to me, I won't blow it ....  I'll be able to handle it more effectively and not let it just dwindle slowly out of my savings account.  I'm really good at doing that!  I'm also very good at SPENDING MONEY on a maybe promotion.  That got me in debt the last time - it didn't happen! 

September 6, 2005, 7:05 pm CDT

To MayDay

Quote From: mayday

Okay you have bi-polar - you recognize that and you have a huge problem with overspending and not paying bills - ok - now take stock of what you know to be a fact, and the bankruptcy is coming to an end - good.  Look at this as a beginning. 

You are the only person who can control you - you are going to have to police yourself.  Part of peoples fear(s) is that they feel like they are loosing control.  I myself used to have claustrophobia -  

which is the fear of being closed in and sufficating - how did I conquer it.  One day in 8th grade one of my classmates jokingly pushed me into the closet and shut the door - I panicked - they then let me out after I started to freak out.  I then asked my self what am I afraid of - I then went back into the closet and shut the door and turned off the lights - my breathing started suffering and I felt the walls coming at me - I then touched the walls and realized that they aint moving. 

This may not be bipolar but you need to come in contact with yourself and take one day at a time and one step at a time.  Believe it or not You do have what it takes to do the job, but the bipolar is telling you that you can't.  You are going to have to just keep telling I can do this. 

Keep this site informed.                           Rog 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last