Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 5, 2008, 10:29 pm CDT

The joys of owning an older car

Quote From: redfeathers

My dad was a mechanic for over 25 years. He already put a stop leak in it and that's been blown through too. My car is a 1992 Ford Tempo, and I don't know how many miles are on it. My dad has worked on it multiple times, tuned it up, new thermostat, etc. The car is just a piece of junk. It is so bad that once it's leaked out all the water in the radiator, it starts leaking out pressure and makes a loud hissing sound. The other day, I was late for work because it stalled in the middle of the road and I saw smoke coming out from under the hood. Also, when it used to overheat, it would get so hot that the water in both the reserve tank and the radiator itself would actually start boiling, and I could hear it from the driver's seat.
 Without specifics on your car,  (" its junk" does not tell me what I'd need to know) I'm having to do lots of guessing but if your Tempo is the 2.3 litre 4 cylinder version I spent a few minutes on Ebay and found a rebuilt cylinder head for $265 and a complete going motor for about $100 that is claimed to have moderate mileage. Your dad could swap the head or the motor in his sleep with his experience but even if you are determined to get another car you should assume that ANY $1000 car will need significant ongoing expenses, unless you have the luck of the Irish (assume you don't).
If your motor has been repeatedly boiled dry then you may have ruined it to the point that changing the head might not fix the situation.
A 92 Tempo is not a young car and there ought to be quite a few in wreckers yards so used  spares should keep the car mobile, I'm kinda hoping you didn't buy the v6 four wheel drive version but like I say I don't know...........

July 6, 2008, 7:43 am CDT

puzzled

My dad was a mechanic for over 25 years. He already put a stop leak in it and that's been blown through too. My car is a 1992 Ford Tempo, and I don't know how many miles are on it. My dad has worked on it multiple times, tuned it up, new thermostat, etc. The car is just a piece of junk. It is so bad that once it's leaked out all the water in the radiator, it starts leaking out pressure and makes a loud hissing sound. The other day, I was late for work because it stalled in the middle of the road and I saw smoke coming out from under the hood. Also, when it used to overheat, it would get so hot that the water in both the reserve tank and the radiator itself would actually start boiling, and I could hear it from the driver's seat.
 I figure I don't have the full story here.

Average hypothetical family situation-

Dad is a qualified mechanic so mom and kids need never worry about having wheels that go.
One day dad tells daughter, "look kid your cylinder head is cracked so until I can fix it you MUST NOT DRIVE IT! or you could, by overheating it repeatedly, turn a repairable motor into a paperweight, understand??"
Daughter agrees to take the bus.
Dad finds second hand cylinder head two weeks later, fixes car and daughter agrees to repay dad the $300 bucks he had to spend on it.
Drama over.

Back to the present now..........
Instead daughter continues driving car in damaged state presumably until it explodes spectacularly, either dad didn't warn daughter of consequences or daughter doesn't like dad's instructions.
Dad could fix car but has not, curious.
Daughter finds herself in a public advice forum wanting to know how to borrow money to buy a better car.........

I figure there is something wrong with the family dynamics here.
A simple one step technical issue is being allowed to get out of control cos the participants are not acting in each others nor their own best interests.

July 6, 2008, 12:10 pm CDT

REDFEATHERS - YOU HAVE AN "INCOME" PROBLEM

I don't mean to interrupt the communication you and Alien Lifeform have going on but I do want to give you my opinion. You can then decide if you want my advise or not!!

In your first post you spoke about your money problems and then jumped to your junk car as your major problem. Your car is NOT your problem. You have an INCOME problem......meaning you have expenses stacking up and you do not have enough income to cover expenses. You are about to take on more debt in order to get what you want NOW. I certainly commend you for wanting a good education.....however, I recommend you suspend your education UNTIL you can raise some income. Drop one semester and work like a dog to earn some money.....save some money.....get another car.....enough to pay for school.....and then return to your education. Take time to read some books on how to understand the way money works and how to manage your money. Make money work "for" you, not "against" you. If you need to build "credit" let me know and I will tell you a "safe" way to do so WITHOUT using Credit Cards and without going into debt. Please, do not start your life thinking that BORROWING is the only way to get the things you need/want.

EDUCATION: Choose a career path that will pay off when you finish school. I just heard a story about a lady who had an MBA in Social Studies......lost her job......started cleaning houses and discovered that she could earn more money doing that!!!! One sure does not need an MBA to clean houses!! Get my point??

ROOT PROBLEM: Not enough income. Take care of the root problem first and the other problems will disappear. I truly like to help those who are trying to help themselves!!

July 6, 2008, 4:23 pm CDT

Bravo!

Quote From: caddyguy

I don't mean to interrupt the communication you and Alien Lifeform have going on but I do want to give you my opinion. You can then decide if you want my advise or not!!

In your first post you spoke about your money problems and then jumped to your junk car as your major problem. Your car is NOT your problem. You have an INCOME problem......meaning you have expenses stacking up and you do not have enough income to cover expenses. You are about to take on more debt in order to get what you want NOW. I certainly commend you for wanting a good education.....however, I recommend you suspend your education UNTIL you can raise some income. Drop one semester and work like a dog to earn some money.....save some money.....get another car.....enough to pay for school.....and then return to your education. Take time to read some books on how to understand the way money works and how to manage your money. Make money work "for" you, not "against" you. If you need to build "credit" let me know and I will tell you a "safe" way to do so WITHOUT using Credit Cards and without going into debt. Please, do not start your life thinking that BORROWING is the only way to get the things you need/want.

EDUCATION: Choose a career path that will pay off when you finish school. I just heard a story about a lady who had an MBA in Social Studies......lost her job......started cleaning houses and discovered that she could earn more money doing that!!!! One sure does not need an MBA to clean houses!! Get my point??

ROOT PROBLEM: Not enough income. Take care of the root problem first and the other problems will disappear. I truly like to help those who are trying to help themselves!!

Well said Caddyguy!!
You know I was tempted to say to redfeathers, postpone schooling, work for as long as you need to (a year sounds good to me, she can't save enough for decent transport in a semester and she is demanding a trouble free ride) in order to save up for the car repairs/replacement then head back to school.
The reason I hesitated suggesting this was that if redfeathers is into instant gratification (wanting everything and wanting it NOW, common problem nowadays)  she would never go for it and I hate wasting advice.
When they hear good advice from one weirdo they too readily dismiss it, when they hear good advice from two weirdos maybe they start listening eh??

July 6, 2008, 10:19 pm CDT

Debt

Quote From: caddyguy

In your first post you spoke about your money problems and then jumped to your junk car as your major problem. Your car is NOT your problem. You have an INCOME problem......meaning you have expenses stacking up and you do not have enough income to cover expenses. You are about to take on more debt in order to get what you want NOW. I certainly commend you for wanting a good education.....however, I recommend you suspend your education UNTIL you can raise some income. Drop one semester and work like a dog to earn some money.....save some money.....get another car.....enough to pay for school.....and then return to your education. Take time to read some books on how to understandthe waymoney works and how to manage your money. Make money work 'for' you, not 'against' you. If you need to build 'credit' let me know and I will tell you a 'safe' way to do so WITHOUT using Credit Cards and without going into debt. Please, do not start your life thinking that BORROWING is the only way to get the things you need/want.

I've already chosen my career, and I'm not putting it on hold. I'm just not doing that. Sorry. No. I'll put other things on hold before I do that. I'm never going to make better money if I put my education on hold. I'm not going for an MBA. Please don't make assumptions about my career aspirations. You basically just told me I don't need college. My family would explode and disown me if I dropped out of college. So that's not happening. Not an option. And maybe your friend is happy cleaning houses. That's great! More power to her and I'm glad she found her niche that way instead of the other job. I'm not that kind of person. I think I would kill myself if I was stuck with a job like that, or a job in retail, or a food service job, for the rest of my life. I'm fine with it as a job for now, working through college and whatnot, but I would be extremely unhappy making a career out of that. That's not for me.

And I never said that I am in debt because I borrowed money. Never said that. I did say that I owed my boyfriend money, but I also noted that he told me I don't have to pay him now, and that he can wait until the money problem is sorted out. And I can't just not pay for car insurance. I'm covered under my mother and father's plan, so I need to pay her, whether I need a car or not. I didn't borrow money from her, I'm paying for my insurance.  And I'm a little insulted that you would assume that I just go through life borrowing money.

I have no credit cards. I'm not in credit card debt.

I know I don't have enough income. I'm trying to find ways to work with the income I have. I can't just go to my boss and say 'I have money problems, pay me more.' What do you want me to do?

What happened with the car is that my dad told me I might have a cracked head. Okay, I didn't know what that meant. My dad does that all the time. He just looks at my car and says 'You need blah blah blah' and gets mad at me when I don't know what the hell he's talking about. Once he even turned to my boyfriend and said 'My daughter doesn't know -insert car jargon here-worth sh**!' While I was standing there watching him say it. Then he goes and tunes up my engine, does some more work on it, then comes back in the house and tells me 'I put -insert more car jargon here-should be fixed for a while.' Then tells me nothing else.  Now my car is in this situation, and my dad is (yet again) getting mad at me because I didn't know what to do automatically like he does.

So, whoever posted the scenarios, you're half right. My dad told me what the problem was, but not what to do about it. And I already stated that I CAN NOT take the bus. There is no bus stop near my house, and my friend is having a hard time finding a job any further than what she can walk to because the bus is almost always late, sometimes by an hour or more. If I'm at the college campus (which is about 40-45 minutes from where I live) at 4:30 in the afternoon after class, and I have to be at work at 5, the bus is not going to take me straight to work. If it arrives at 5 (provided it's on time) I'm going to be late by a lot. If that happens too much, I get fired. Then I have no income. And if I take the bus in the morning, and am repeatedly late for class, then I get dropped. I'd get in more trouble for being dropped from a class than I would dropping out willingly, because that means that the teacher believed I wasn't working hard enough to deserve to be in the class.

And thanks Alien, I'll talk to my dad about that option instead of spending more cash on another car. That seems like a sensible option to take if it's doable.

Personally, I think that Alien is really the only person that has given me some effective advice on how to save money in this situation, by giving me an option to cut down on the expenses by a lot. So I think I'm done here.

July 6, 2008, 10:21 pm CDT

Debt

Quote From: alien_lifeform

Without specifics on your car,  (" its junk" does not tell me what I'd need to know) I'm having to do lots of guessing but if your Tempo is the 2.3 litre 4 cylinder version I spent a few minutes on Ebay and found a rebuilt cylinder head for $265 and a complete going motor for about $100 that is claimed to have moderate mileage. Your dad could swap the head or the motor in his sleep with his experience but even if you are determined to get another car you should assume that ANY $1000 car will need significant ongoing expenses, unless you have the luck of the Irish (assume you don't).
If your motor has been repeatedly boiled dry then you may have ruined it to the point that changing the head might not fix the situation.
A 92 Tempo is not a young car and there ought to be quite a few in wreckers yards so used  spares should keep the car mobile, I'm kinda hoping you didn't buy the v6 four wheel drive version but like I say I don't know...........

I forgot to ask, what search did you put in on ebay and what was the usernames of the people you found those parts on?

July 6, 2008, 11:20 pm CDT

Car parts

I forgot to ask, what search did you put in on ebay and what was the usernames of the people you found those parts on?
 Redfeathers
 I figured your dad, for whatever reasons, was not providing the help he could have been. That's um, unfortunate.........
I still  know very little about your car, they had three different motors in those as far as I can see.
The rebuilt cylinder head I saw is for the 2.3 litre gasoline four cylinder if thats what you need???
The Ebay seller is headsbycch from Florida and is $265 plus $25 shipping in the US.
There could be other options closer to home, I'm not even in the US so Ebay was my only way to track down model/spares info, we don't have Tempos where I'm at.
Do a keyword search ford tempo in the ebay motors, parts and accessories sub heading.
Note I didn't check all the items (321) in this Ebay list, I just wanted to show you what parts for your car might cost.
But first check with local wreckers and reconditioners after you know exactly what motor you have (I'm stunned your dad hasn't done this already but I better leave that alone).
The reason I asked for a comprehensive description of your cars specification and condition was that I was trying to make up my own mind if I would spend money to keep it running as opposed to replacing it which as you know worries me.
First point I'd wanna look at is the condition of the bodywork. If its never been in a major smash and its UNRUSTED then it starts to make sense to recondition the mechanicals depending on cost.
If you are in an area that gets hit by snow and they salt the roads then the cars there are prone to serious rust.
If the car has structural rust then I would not waste money repairing it's mechanicals.

July 7, 2008, 3:05 pm CDT

REDFEATHERS - CAN YOU R-E-A-D???

I've already chosen my career, and I'm not putting it on hold. I'm just not doing that. Sorry. No. I'll put other things on hold before I do that. I'm never going to make better money if I put my education on hold. I'm not going for an MBA. Please don't make assumptions about my career aspirations. You basically just told me I don't need college. My family would explode and disown me if I dropped out of college. So that's not happening. Not an option. And maybe your friend is happy cleaning houses. That's great! More power to her and I'm glad she found her niche that way instead of the other job. I'm not that kind of person. I think I would kill myself if I was stuck with a job like that, or a job in retail, or a food service job, for the rest of my life. I'm fine with it as a job for now, working through college and whatnot, but I would be extremely unhappy making a career out of that. That's not for me.

And I never said that I am in debt because I borrowed money. Never said that. I did say that I owed my boyfriend money, but I also noted that he told me I don't have to pay him now, and that he can wait until the money problem is sorted out. And I can't just not pay for car insurance. I'm covered under my mother and father's plan, so I need to pay her, whether I need a car or not. I didn't borrow money from her, I'm paying for my insurance.  And I'm a little insulted that you would assume that I just go through life borrowing money.

I have no credit cards. I'm not in credit card debt.

I know I don't have enough income. I'm trying to find ways to work with the income I have. I can't just go to my boss and say 'I have money problems, pay me more.' What do you want me to do?

What happened with the car is that my dad told me I might have a cracked head. Okay, I didn't know what that meant. My dad does that all the time. He just looks at my car and says 'You need blah blah blah' and gets mad at me when I don't know what the hell he's talking about. Once he even turned to my boyfriend and said 'My daughter doesn't know -insert car jargon here-worth sh**!' While I was standing there watching him say it. Then he goes and tunes up my engine, does some more work on it, then comes back in the house and tells me 'I put -insert more car jargon here-should be fixed for a while.' Then tells me nothing else.  Now my car is in this situation, and my dad is (yet again) getting mad at me because I didn't know what to do automatically like he does.

So, whoever posted the scenarios, you're half right. My dad told me what the problem was, but not what to do about it. And I already stated that I CAN NOT take the bus. There is no bus stop near my house, and my friend is having a hard time finding a job any further than what she can walk to because the bus is almost always late, sometimes by an hour or more. If I'm at the college campus (which is about 40-45 minutes from where I live) at 4:30 in the afternoon after class, and I have to be at work at 5, the bus is not going to take me straight to work. If it arrives at 5 (provided it's on time) I'm going to be late by a lot. If that happens too much, I get fired. Then I have no income. And if I take the bus in the morning, and am repeatedly late for class, then I get dropped. I'd get in more trouble for being dropped from a class than I would dropping out willingly, because that means that the teacher believed I wasn't working hard enough to deserve to be in the class.

And thanks Alien, I'll talk to my dad about that option instead of spending more cash on another car. That seems like a sensible option to take if it's doable.

Personally, I think that Alien is really the only person that has given me some effective advice on how to save money in this situation, by giving me an option to cut down on the expenses by a lot. So I think I'm done here.

Ahhhh.......the arrogance of youth!!!

Obviously......you didn't read what I said......or if you did, you did not comprehend what I said!!!

YOU SAID......I need $1398 plus another car and you did not know where to get the money or what to do.

YOU SAID......I have no CREDIT.

YOU SAID......I OWE my Mom $50 a month for auto Insurance.

YOU SAID......I borrowed $150 from my boyfriend.

I SAID......you have an Income Problem.....drop ONE  semester and work like a dog to get some money.

I SAID......you are about to take on more debt.....because you want it NOW!!

I SAID......Please, do not BORROW to establish credit......I would tell you a way to get credit WITHOUT using Credit Cards OR going into DEBT.

I SAID......Don't waste your money on a College Education that will only get  you a job making 25k a year. You completely missed the point on that one!!

YOUR response was what you would NOT do, what you CAN"T do, but nothing about what you CAN do. I made NO assumptions on your career.....you didn't READ what I said. And again you jumped off on a tangent about your car. What you really want is a Band Aid so you can keep doing what you are doing.

GIRL, YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE......FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF!!!!

July 14, 2008, 11:11 am CDT

Help

Quote From: debtfixer

I don't have time at the moment to go into great detail but I do want to run this one thing by you. You can apply for a Charity Write Off with any medical bills, this will not cost you a penny and it's very easy to do. With a Charity Write Off you can have all your medical bills written off, this will not damage your credit at all.

If you would like more information on how to Apply for a Charity Write Off or information on how to get your Credit Card Debt cut almost in half please let me know, I worked in debt elimintion for years...now I help people save their homes from Foreclosure but I can still point you in the right direction with your credit situation.

Debtfixer

IF you think that you can help my family please contact me at patty510@ptd.net.  WE are about to lose our home and can not afford to lose it. Please help my family.

Sincerely,

Tator03

Patty---

August 7, 2008, 4:35 pm CDT

Debt

Quote From: b_sanders

My husband and I are in debt. The bad thing, it isn't thousands and thousands of dollars. He is off of work ill. I am laid off for another few weeks. We are just not making it. We are so far behind in monthly bills we can't catch up on "old" bills. We worry about the rent payment, the school clothes, and every other aspect. It is funny to see our friends with new HUGE boats and two nice cars... and... and... and.

We can hardly keep our heads above water, let alone thinking about the future.

:(

i found a website that really helped

check out www.4legaldebtrelief.com

First | Prev | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | Next | Last