Message Boards

Topic : Debt

Number of Replies: 754
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:14 am
Author : dataimport
Are you struggling with debt? Have you successfully managed your debt? Share tips and strategies with others.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2005, 9:32 am CDT

Hmmmm -- maybe it's not bad mis-information

Quote From: renagade

From my point of view thats wonderful that you have another 40 years of brain power, things to discover, inventions to put together. 

By being told 'act your age' one could say your on the right track.  When one of my former neighbors who's a social worker told me that the government has a classification for the 50 to 61 age group as being 'nearly elderly' I asked him not to say that and my name in the same sentence. 

I should have qualified that statement by saying that if someone puts themself out as an 'expert' and starts to make mistakes then I might, or if someone is on a high horse - which I can't stand - then that to me is fair game, and if someone is wrong then that is fair game.  I guess I have a hard time with people getting bad-misinformation. 

Rog, I am always reading a wide range of stuff - and it always amazes me how it's 1 thing now and in 5 years it's something else.  I used to tell my therapist that my mood swings were linked to the moon cycles - he told me I was wrong - yet, I was keeping a journal and tracking my behaviors.  But it never failed --- I just blew him off.  Early this year, I saw a 1 page article in a mag that finally validates my findings from 1991. 

And he's right, we are nearly elderly in the eyes of the scientific side of the house.  That's why it's so much fun to live and be different that what research says cause in another 10 years, you'll see that change as well! 

September 10, 2005, 4:03 pm CDT

And I Agree

Quote From: marcia52

Rog, I am always reading a wide range of stuff - and it always amazes me how it's 1 thing now and in 5 years it's something else.  I used to tell my therapist that my mood swings were linked to the moon cycles - he told me I was wrong - yet, I was keeping a journal and tracking my behaviors.  But it never failed --- I just blew him off.  Early this year, I saw a 1 page article in a mag that finally validates my findings from 1991. 

And he's right, we are nearly elderly in the eyes of the scientific side of the house.  That's why it's so much fun to live and be different that what research says cause in another 10 years, you'll see that change as well! 

Its soo much fun to be alive and  sooooo much funnnn to be different!!!!!

September 13, 2005, 7:35 am CDT

sure can't wait until I get better at handling ME!

Yesterday, a family emergency had me up and out of my home at 6:30 a.m., heading for a city an hour away - I got lost twice because they didn't have the instructions on how to get there and finally arrived 1/3 hour after I was to pick someone up. Luckily, they didn't arrive until 10 a.m. (Got there at 8:30 a) 

Well, it was an unplanned event and I wasn't prepared - I was the backup person.  Luckily, I only spent $22.36 without thinking.  I bought only what I needed and purchased 2 x-mas presents.  All of the items were on my unwritten shopping list.  However, later on the way back on there was an accident on the freeway and I had to take another route home - ended up getting a candy bar and pop to keep me awake (had only 4 hours of sleep yesterday morning).   

I did good.  I'm proud of me - I maintained and that's all I wanted to do!  I'm getting better and better all the time!  I just have to plan better - I'm getting really good at that too! 

September 13, 2005, 9:12 pm CDT

Iknow one thing for sure

Yesterday, a family emergency had me up and out of my home at 6:30 a.m., heading for a city an hour away - I got lost twice because they didn't have the instructions on how to get there and finally arrived 1/3 hour after I was to pick someone up. Luckily, they didn't arrive until 10 a.m. (Got there at 8:30 a) 

Well, it was an unplanned event and I wasn't prepared - I was the backup person.  Luckily, I only spent $22.36 without thinking.  I bought only what I needed and purchased 2 x-mas presents.  All of the items were on my unwritten shopping list.  However, later on the way back on there was an accident on the freeway and I had to take another route home - ended up getting a candy bar and pop to keep me awake (had only 4 hours of sleep yesterday morning).   

I did good.  I'm proud of me - I maintained and that's all I wanted to do!  I'm getting better and better all the time!  I just have to plan better - I'm getting really good at that too! 

And that is that no matter how much you plan - an emergency is an emergency.  Now can you plan for whatevers - to a degree yes, but Marcia you said it best - only 4 hours sleep, driving to another town, and doing what had to be done.  Your still slightly beating yourself up, but remember - this was an emergency. 

I do however agree with you completely - Your doing fantastic!!! 

Rog 

September 14, 2005, 1:12 pm CDT

Thanks Rog ....

And that is that no matter how much you plan - an emergency is an emergency.  Now can you plan for whatevers - to a degree yes, but Marcia you said it best - only 4 hours sleep, driving to another town, and doing what had to be done.  Your still slightly beating yourself up, but remember - this was an emergency. 

I do however agree with you completely - Your doing fantastic!!! 

Rog 

Today is a down day!  I spent yesterday running around with family again and then came home and brother was here for dinner.   I discovered that whenever I run amok for a few days in a row, I need a shutdown day.  It sounds strange - however, it's the reason I realized that I need to live a simplistic life style.  It does feel good to relax and take it calmly.  Family keeps my life events happening; however, they don't happen every day or every month. 

September 14, 2005, 6:43 pm CDT

Ya said it best

Today is a down day!  I spent yesterday running around with family again and then came home and brother was here for dinner.   I discovered that whenever I run amok for a few days in a row, I need a shutdown day.  It sounds strange - however, it's the reason I realized that I need to live a simplistic life style.  It does feel good to relax and take it calmly.  Family keeps my life events happening; however, they don't happen every day or every month. 

When you run amok for a few days in a row, ya need a shutdown day.  It isn't strange at all - it's normal, common.  Remember Marcia - the body was also designed for rest, not to keep going in 4th gear 24/7. 

The reason your making such great strides is that your living a simplistic - where as I said it before 'you have got to come in contact with yourself so that you know who you are, and by doing this you can achieve anything'.  Some people however cannot comprehende this - you can - so one up for you. 

September 20, 2005, 8:08 am CDT

Everything OK?

You haven't had a post in a week. 

September 21, 2005, 8:27 am CDT

Hi Rog...

You haven't had a post in a week. 

I've been picking myself up by the boot strap again.  Last month's naming of PIG PEN required me to focus all my energies in dealing with that emotion - that it took me totally off track (yep in my spending too!).  It's what happens every time I face a FEAR that has been with me for a really long time.  Now I'm able to mop up the mess I created.  I have so many new habits & behaviors that it gets easier and easier each time it happens.  Lucky for me that I've given myself a year to sort thru my messy life. 

September 21, 2005, 8:28 am CDT

If you are looking for another type of book/author ....

My apologies if my posts are strange, I personally don't think so.  I am left handed and sometimes it paines me to live in a right handed world. 

It seems that the majority of people in debt are concentrating on their debt and it also seems that it is also driving them nuts.  I used to be like that too.  That is until I started listening to/or reading about people who were in debt and then no longer were.  I found that one of the factors was that they realized bills were not going away, so quit worrying about them.  Instead put your energizies and focus on getting income to get out of debt.  I don't know how much clearer I can say this. 

I am not out of debt yet, but by the same token, I am not worrying about my debt - it sure ain't going to go poof 'all gone'  tommorrow.  I deal with my finances I feel just like everybody else with a few twists.  Am I using this form to benefit myself - if you read some posts people are trying to help themselves and others.  And that book you mention is Not only about investments. 

I do thank you.  Rog 

If you are seeking to do the very basic foundation work , check out Suze Orman's THE LAWS OF MONEY and/or The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom.  The first book is really good and the 2nd book is similar in nature but goes into investments and the like. 

Suze's belief is that we FEAR money.  Both of these books will help you to work thru the fears.  They both helped me out alot! 

September 21, 2005, 12:39 pm CDT

Marcia

I've been picking myself up by the boot strap again.  Last month's naming of PIG PEN required me to focus all my energies in dealing with that emotion - that it took me totally off track (yep in my spending too!).  It's what happens every time I face a FEAR that has been with me for a really long time.  Now I'm able to mop up the mess I created.  I have so many new habits & behaviors that it gets easier and easier each time it happens.  Lucky for me that I've given myself a year to sort thru my messy life. 

I am delighted to hear that you have cracked thru another fear.  Remember thou are human and thou will stumble from time to time.  I can also feel that you have become stronger, remember also do not concentrate on your negatives, but be aware of them and deal accordingly. 

You are progressing at a good rate - just don't try and break any records.  You will get there. 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last