Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Troubled Teen Love

Number of Replies: 425
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:26:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/10/07) Ask any teenager, and he or she will tell you how tough life is: schoolwork, dating, and dealing with pushy parents. But imagine having two kids while you’re still in high school. Laurie says her 18-year-old son, Corey, is in a toxic relationship with his 20-year-old wife, Kim. The couple fell in love while barely out of junior high and their crush quickly turned to chaos. Laurie says they verbally abuse each other in front of their children, and they’ve only been married for five months. Corey says that Kim cheated on him and has threatened to kill their kids. What’s behind the couple’s dramatic confrontations, and why was Corey arrested? Then, Kim’s mother, Janet, joins the show via Web cam. What does she reveal about Kim and Corey's parenting? Can the couple salvage their relationship, or should they just go their separate ways? And what needs to happen to protect their young kids? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2007, 8:19 am CDT

not all teen marriage are bad!!!!!!

I am 20 years old have 2 kids, ages 3 and 11 months and it upset me what Dr. Phil showed today.  Not all TEEN MARRIGES ARE BAD!!  My husband and I got married while I was still a senior in high school and we are doing great.  Not saying that we don't have disagreements but my parents that have been married for 23 years have them too.  Why can't you show teen couples that do work out show that there are two sides to the coin.  I love my husband and kids, I think we have a great life I am a stay at home mom, my husband has a great job, we own a home, we buy our kids too much stuff sometimes, our oldest is in preschool and is develpmental 4-5 year old and she is only 3!!!!!  We don't sound anything like the sterotype you are putting on teen marriages and parents.  It has actually keep us out of trouble,  I have never been to a club, gone and got drunk or high.  I feel like having kids so young helps me keep up with them and when they go though the teen years my past will help me understand them more hopeful I will have a relationship with them that they come to me with anything and talk about sex and protection. My parents were and still are great but I was afaid to ask for birth control. 

October 10, 2007, 8:25 am CDT

children raising children

todays show was fantastic. I do think these 2 children raising children  have some real serious problems they never thought existed or can even imagine... I'm a mother n grandmother and I too know someone who has a toxic relationship but won't listen!!!!!!!!!! so what do u do??? 

October 10, 2007, 8:42 am CDT

Teens and Marriage

Dr. Phil said that teen and marriage should not even be in the same sentence because he obviously finds it wrong. Well I strongly disagree. I was married at 17 to my high school sweetheart, he was 20. We had no children then. I am now 20, we just had our first child after two years of marriage and have been together for a total of five years. We both have our diplomas, both have jobs, pay our bills, and have our own house. AND, if you ask anyone in our families or friends, etc. everyone would tell you that we both work very hard to be great parents to our child. Our child never goes without anything because we both work hard to provide for him, and show him affection everyday. Yes, some teen marriages do not work out, but that is because they are unwilling to work on it, or are irresponsible. BUT that does not mean that all teen marriages are bad. So what does Dr. Phil have to say about those teen marriages that work???

October 10, 2007, 9:00 am CDT

talking

Quote From: lm1969

How pitiful. These two kids are in a terrible situation. I hope Dr. Phil can talk some sense into them. They need help! I have a 7 year old and I am taping this show to show her in a few years.

I don't know how old you are, but let me give you some advice. Don't worry about showing her a tape of this show. Sit down with her and start talking to her now. She probably already has information and the problem is the source. When our daughter was around 7, a girl in our neighborhood who came over to play told my child some ridiculous story about how girls get pregnant. I think she was around 8 or 9. So right then and there we had a frank talk. This wasn't the first conversation in this area. She had asked me where babies came from when she was around 5. I told her the truth, but the 5 year old's version. So, don't think they are too young for talking about sex. The problem is waiting until it is too late.

October 10, 2007, 9:38 am CDT

Still married!

I am not saying all teen marriages will work but ours did and is. We have 4 wonderful children and a grandson.  I think the difference with us was that  he was mature  for his age. He handled  the situation as a man. Stayed in school, worked and then joined the Army, went from Enlisted to Officer and is about to retire. He has a a BA and almost finished with his masters. We have been very blessed. One of my best friends married while we were in school and they are still together as well!
However, on the other side, I have seen a few of the girls I went to school with marry and divorce within a year or so, or watched them stay in relationships that they later regretted. I just think they weren't mature enough to handle the situations that marriage brings. From what I saw today neither do these kids.

October 10, 2007, 9:46 am CDT

I was a teen mother and wife

After being with my highschool boyfriend for 2 years I got pregnant.  I was 17, he was 19.  We almost immediately got married, and began our journey.  I finished high school, and even put a couple of years into college.  I did have great family support and my husband was a great provider and hard worker.  As I look back over the years today at 37 (and divorced) there are so many stages of growth that people go through individually.  You have to or you miss experiences that permit you to go into your next level of life complete.  I was a great mother, I did the best I could with what I knew.  But that was the problem.  How much could you really know at 17, 20, even 25.  I look back over my sons life 20 years now, and I see where I would do certain things different, and how the fact that I didnt has made things harder for him.  We also have a 14 year old daughter, and what I see with girls that age scares me.  They just want to grow up.  They want a baby.  Someone that they can never lose and that will love them forever.  I have always talked to my children, and felt if they were old enough to ask the question they were old enough to get an answer.  I think there are so many topics that Dr. Phil could visit, and they would keep him busy for years to come.  Keep it up Dr. Phil!  One teen show at a time!  I watch them all and I listen like a sponge!  Thanks  Shel

October 10, 2007, 10:32 am CDT

NOT ALL TEEN MARRIGE ARE BAD

Quote From: chahe05

Dr. Phil said that teen and marriage should not even be in the same sentence because he obviously finds it wrong. Well I strongly disagree. I was married at 17 to my high school sweetheart, he was 20. We had no children then. I am now 20, we just had our first child after two years of marriage and have been together for a total of five years. We both have our diplomas, both have jobs, pay our bills, and have our own house. AND, if you ask anyone in our families or friends, etc. everyone would tell you that we both work very hard to be great parents to our child. Our child never goes without anything because we both work hard to provide for him, and show him affection everyday. Yes, some teen marriages do not work out, but that is because they are unwilling to work on it, or are irresponsible. BUT that does not mean that all teen marriages are bad. So what does Dr. Phil have to say about those teen marriages that work???

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SISTER AMEN!!!!

October 10, 2007, 10:49 am CDT

Showing Positive Teen marriages

Quote From: grace3zachary1

I am 20 years old have 2 kids, ages 3 and 11 months and it upset me what Dr. Phil showed today.  Not all TEEN MARRIGES ARE BAD!!  My husband and I got married while I was still a senior in high school and we are doing great.  Not saying that we don't have disagreements but my parents that have been married for 23 years have them too.  Why can't you show teen couples that do work out show that there are two sides to the coin.  I love my husband and kids, I think we have a great life I am a stay at home mom, my husband has a great job, we own a home, we buy our kids too much stuff sometimes, our oldest is in preschool and is develpmental 4-5 year old and she is only 3!!!!!  We don't sound anything like the sterotype you are putting on teen marriages and parents.  It has actually keep us out of trouble,  I have never been to a club, gone and got drunk or high.  I feel like having kids so young helps me keep up with them and when they go though the teen years my past will help me understand them more hopeful I will have a relationship with them that they come to me with anything and talk about sex and protection. My parents were and still are great but I was afaid to ask for birth control. 
Obviously not all teen marriages are bad.  Dr Phil stated that approx 60% end in divorce, which means that 40% don't, not much worse than "adult" marriages. But I think the reason Dr Phil does not show the happy teen marriages is because, while yours and some others may be wonderful, in general it is a bad idea to have children at 16 and wed at 17.  As I said, some work out, as is the case with you but most teens are not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of marriage and kids and it would be irresponsible for Dr Phil to promote teen marriage as a good thing by showing stories of happy married teen parents. There are too many irresponsible boys and girls who have an unrealistic fantasy of what having kids is like and when they act on it they realize it's much harder than they thought. Babysitting is a good start to learning child-rearing skills but it is nothing like being responsible for children 24/7.  Glad your situation is working out.  You are definitely the exception.  Most of us aren't done playing until we are well past our teen years ;-)

October 10, 2007, 11:01 am CDT

10/10 Troubled Teen Love

WOW!  I recorded this show while at work and have just started watching it but I had to hit the pause button. How come it is the teenagers fault? Where is the parents blame? If those two aren't successful parents it's because their parents didn't show them how!!!!! They should have immediately upon finding out about the pregnancy been put into parenting classes, those parents should have been right there showing them exactly what to do in a nurturing, loving way so that they know how to love and support those babies. OK I just had to say that....going back to watch the show while mine are still napping.

October 10, 2007, 11:22 am CDT

i wish i could do over

i had my first child at age 19. no i was not young as the guest but was with a guy i had a crush on in high school we had had 3 kids together we were married then divorce now it is a holy night mare if i could do over i would. i thought he was my dream high school sweet heart he is a unfit father don't pay child support unless we go to court when i file. this is how evil he is i called asked him to pay his support my deep freeze went out i lost all my meats $500.00 instead of of paying he called cps saying i had no food which i did i had all kinds of can goods and pastas etc. i just lost my meats .i do feel teen marriages should not be allowed to happened my friends did it was a bad situations. i think if you are below age 25 the courts should make you go through some counseling or something. this is to try to protect our kids i have 5 kids now and its hard i i am re married . teens think playing house is easy but its not. i have 2 teen agers and they are giving me the blues.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last