Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Troubled Teen Love

Number of Replies: 425
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:26:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/10/07) Ask any teenager, and he or she will tell you how tough life is: schoolwork, dating, and dealing with pushy parents. But imagine having two kids while you’re still in high school. Laurie says her 18-year-old son, Corey, is in a toxic relationship with his 20-year-old wife, Kim. The couple fell in love while barely out of junior high and their crush quickly turned to chaos. Laurie says they verbally abuse each other in front of their children, and they’ve only been married for five months. Corey says that Kim cheated on him and has threatened to kill their kids. What’s behind the couple’s dramatic confrontations, and why was Corey arrested? Then, Kim’s mother, Janet, joins the show via Web cam. What does she reveal about Kim and Corey's parenting? Can the couple salvage their relationship, or should they just go their separate ways? And what needs to happen to protect their young kids? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2007, 12:38 pm CDT

troubled teen love?

It is hard for me as well to watch shows like this. I myself got pregant at 18, had a baby at 19, and i am now 20. My finance' is 23 and we have been together for 5 years. This pregnancy was not planned, but we are very greatful for our son who is now 14 moths old. It is not easy for a teenager to have a child at a young age because there is so much going on in your life already . I go to college full-time, i stay at home w/ my son, i cook, clean, do laundry and take care of a 1 year old. My finace' goes to work, and comes home and plays with our son. I personally think that this young couple in this episode has issues! He doesn't have a job and the wife is cheating on him! and they have 2 kids! get your act together is my opinon and take care of your kids! they should come first! I maybe a young mother but my son has NEVER been without food or milk, dipers or clothes! He is our first priorority! Maybe they need to take a parenting class or something because it just isn't right.

October 10, 2007, 12:44 pm CDT

10/10 Troubled Teen Love

TAKE THE KIDS AWAY!!!! Get her tubes tide!!! No more kids for her and him.They are out of control!!GOOD LUCK TO THEM!!!!

October 10, 2007, 12:46 pm CDT

shocking

I believe that it is young couples like this that give the rest young couples and families a BAD name.  I am 20 years old, and am married to my high school sweetheart as well.  We have been married for two yrs.  We have a 2yr old daughter as well, and are expecting our second.  I don't think ALL couples are like they are, it takes a lot to be a parent, and a wife, husband, or a family.  Marriage is about compromise. And having children is about being able to be selfless, and do WHATEVER it takes (within reason) to make sure they are safe, and well cared for.  That they are always happy and healthy.  You need to know how to put your needs to the side, for the time being, to insure theirs are OK, and taken care of.  Being married and having a family is about knowing what growing up, and being a adult really takes, and achieving it!!!

October 10, 2007, 12:47 pm CDT

not every teen marriage is bad

I was married when I was 19 and my husband was 18 we have been married 16 years and I would not change that for nothing I still love my husband as much as I did 16 years ago. We have known each other since middle school and I dont understand why Dr. Phil is going off about teen marriage. We didnt have kids until we were 23 but still why is so against teen marriage???? That upsets me I dont totaly agree with him on this one.

October 10, 2007, 12:48 pm CDT

Teen Marriage..

I strongly disagree with Dr.Phil!

I am 18 yrs old and I have a 2 month old daughter. I was 17 when I had her.

My boyfriend is also 18 and we are not married but are thinking about it for the future (about 3 to 5yrs from now). Were both still in school and playing sports and we both have jobs.

I am on the "A" honor roll and am playing soccer. He is playing football and providing most of our daughters needs!

so it doesnt matter if your young or not, you can take care of a child if you TRY!

Thank you

October 10, 2007, 12:48 pm CDT

I agree with Phil

I got pregnant with my first child when I was 19 and had him when I was 20. I agree with Dr. Phil..... it's VERY hard to take care of a child when you are one yourself. My son's father died when he was just 2 yrs. old, and was never really there so I was a single parent. It wasn't easy, but I would NEVER put my children in the position that these parents did! I now have another son who is 15 mths. younger than my oldest! His dad and I have been together for over 4 yrs. and we have a wonderful life!!! But, I do know that if I was to get married that young and have a child not to mention children at the age of 16...... there is NO way that it would have worked. Yeah, there are people who make it, but it's rare and that is what Dr. Phil was saying. I think he was trying to scare the pants outta these parents so that they wouldn't go back and live the way they have been. GO DR. PHIL!!!!!!

October 10, 2007, 12:49 pm CDT

show some positive for ONCE!!!

What is wrong with teen marriages? That seems to be the only thing talked about, what is WRONG. Why not have a positive outlook on things? I am 20 years od and was recently married this summer to my highschool sweetheart. We were married on our 6 year anniversary. Instead of putting the "kids" down, applaud the ones that are responsible enough to wait. To understand that life isn't about sex and playing house. It's a real thing. NOT every teen in love is out there to have sex. My husband and I didn't wait until we were married, we waited a hell of a long time though before doing anything because we knew we were not responsible enough for the result. You have no idea how much it ticks me to hear that "children having children" This is not about age. There are plenty of "adults" out there getting their children taken away because they are not responsible. Plenty of people that you have on your show that are so called "adults" that are getting their children taken away. It's not about age! It's about maturity level. I am lucky enough that my husband has a good paying job so I can stay with our daughter. I make sure that she is fed changed, everything she needs. I am so sick of hearing how irrresponsible "kids" are. Tell me Dr. Phil, you were that age once. Are you better just because you were older when you got married? Life happensas it happens you don't choose when you meet the person you marry.

October 10, 2007, 12:50 pm CDT

Teen parents

Being a 20 year old woman myself, I dont understand why is it s standart that the father has to provide for the family. That mother is 20 years old, she can get a full time job and support her kids. It is not a responsobility of one parent to provide for the family. I think Dr. Phil focused so much on the father being jobless, but what about the mother? She can be a receptionist, secretary, clerk, waitress...there are plenty of opportinities. Kids shouldn't go hungry because one parent looses a job. On the other hand both parents should provide love, care and mentoring for their children and both parents failed on that aspect. 

October 10, 2007, 12:52 pm CDT

10/10 Troubled Teen Love

I'm 36, have 17, 16 and 14 sons.  I did marry my "high school sweetheart" and ended up much in the same situation.  The best thing for the kids is to separate to get them out of the environment.  Both parents still can love them and care for them - work together and do it for the kids! 

October 10, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

Teen Love isn't all bad

I was a little offended by today's Dr. Phil show basically saying that high school sweet hearts should never get married and getting married at 18 is no good, etc.  I am 23, I got married to my high school sweetheart when I was 18, and we were surprised with a wonderful little boy when I was 20.  We are very happily married and wonderful parents.  My husband makes more money than 90% of Americans.  We own a gorgeous home on the lake, and it is very clean.  We are preparing to go to Ireland in less than week to celebrate our 5 year anniversary.  I graduated this year suma cum lad with my B.S. in psychology and I am currently studying for my GRE.  I am a stay at home mom to a WONDERFUL 3 year old.  He is extremly healthy and intellectually advanced.  He has opportunities that most children never encounter from music class to swimming class to play group to name brand clothing to WORLD travel.  Not all "kids" are as immature as the couple featured on today's show...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last