Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Number of Replies: 428
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:29:23 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are known for wearing skimpy clothes, but does that mean midriffs and micro-minis are right for your daughter? A new debate is brewing over whether women should go mild or wild. First up, Brenda Sharman, the national director of Pure Fashion, believes young ladies should dress modestly. She faces off with four women from the audience who say there’s nothing wrong with showing a little skin. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Terri says her 8-year-old daughter has never had a Bratz doll and never will, but Melissa has no problem with her 6-year-old twins playing with the provocative pre-teens of plastic. Are Bratz just harmless toys or a negative influence? Plus, Lilly says her 19-year-old daughter, Cassie, dresses like a slut and a hooker, and even walks the dog in high heels! What can Lilly do to get Cassie to cover up, or should she? And, meet an 11-year-old who says her parents are too old-fashioned when it comes to her clothes, and they just need to get with the times. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 11, 2007, 2:40 pm CDT

ok

Quote From: mimilynn

Let me ask you this If you had a shape like Haley Barry would you cover up? Anywhere you look sex sells it is part of the times! If you looked like Eva Longoria would you cover up? I think you can dress classy & sexy if you have it flaunt it. The people that complain are usually not in shape, overweight, and older.  Some "Fantasy night" clothes are trendy & cute. I don't think it is appropriate for someone 300lbs or out of shape to wear a micro mini but someone like Paris I think she looks great! Some things aren't appropriate to wear  to church or a school function but pleeze lighten up and get with the times you dress how you feel comfortable and sexy whether it is leaving things to the imagination or not!
IF I looked like Haley Berry or Eva Longoria I would still dress tasteful. I will also agree with you that Paris is an attractive young woman, but she is much prettier to ME when she is not showing the world all of her "goodies". What she was wearing when she went to court was a lot nicer. I'm old school, and I was raised that you have to leave a little to the imagination or else people will get the wrong impression of you (Paris Hilton). Dress like you're out to impress the world. I will agree with you that "sex sells" but that I believe is PART of the reason so many of our kids are out having sex! Parents need to play an active roll in their kids' wardrobes and in their lives. I'll tell you this though, no matter how my daughter is shaped (like Haley, Paris, or Oprah-all of whom are very beautiful) she won't leave my house with anything that will show her private parts to the world with a single sneeze.

October 11, 2007, 2:43 pm CDT

Thank You

Quote From: ramair

When I used to run a front-end register at Wal-Mart; and saw everyone who entered, and left, the store; I coined a new word. Anti-sexy. So many women; in a wide variety of ages, and sizes; would wear less than I'd wear to bed. I wasn't married back then! And, it looked good on none of them. Wearing demure, figure-flattering clothing; dresses, jeans and tees, it doesn't matter; is sexy. Leaving almost nothing to the imagination; a la Britney, Paris, et al: is anti-sexy.
 I also worked a register at Wally World, and that is part of the reason why I feel this way about clothing. Don't get me wrong, I have DEFINITELY gone out in "anti-sexy" clothes at times, but 90% of the time, i take a minute to make sure that my girls are covered and you can't see my butt or any other part for that matter.

October 11, 2007, 8:57 pm CDT

OK

Quote From: vlfischer

IF I looked like Haley Berry or Eva Longoria I would still dress tasteful. I will also agree with you that Paris is an attractive young woman, but she is much prettier to ME when she is not showing the world all of her "goodies". What she was wearing when she went to court was a lot nicer. I'm old school, and I was raised that you have to leave a little to the imagination or else people will get the wrong impression of you (Paris Hilton). Dress like you're out to impress the world. I will agree with you that "sex sells" but that I believe is PART of the reason so many of our kids are out having sex! Parents need to play an active roll in their kids' wardrobes and in their lives. I'll tell you this though, no matter how my daughter is shaped (like Haley, Paris, or Oprah-all of whom are very beautiful) she won't leave my house with anything that will show her private parts to the world with a single sneeze.

Yes, I agree with you about parents playing an active role in kids wardrobes!  I am not saying I would allow my daughters EVER to go out in hoochie mama skirts and ask for trouble.  You can dress tastefully & sexy as an adult not a child.  What I am saying is that some trends show a little skin, tight clothing, etc.  if you have a cute shape and of age why not?  Age appropriate clothing is important children should NOT be wearing sexy clothes with any exception.  Adults can dress how they feel good whether it is in a figure flattering shirt or skirt or wide legged pants.

October 15, 2007, 11:33 am CDT

10/12 Mild vs. Wild

Quote From: classynana

Have any of you people seen the Bratz dolls that aren't dressed slutty, Like the bratz kids of the bratz sports dolls like dancing , cheerleading, soccer, children don't know what slutty is unless they are told or taught that. Barbie has been around for centuries and no one is complained about her, she wears bikinis and sheer clothing, what makes her different? Women have had plastic surgery to look like Barbie, I don't think anyone would want to look like a Bratz doll  , they would have to have their head inflated and eyes enlarged, its just a doll & a toy. 

What children don't know can hurt them. So, they've never been told, or taught, what slutty is? Or what sexually provocative is?  Not knowing is no precaution against  sexual predation. It wouldn't occur to a sexual predator,  who sees a young girl wearing a sexually provocative outfit, that she's some poor innocent child who just doesn't know any better.  

October 15, 2007, 11:45 am CDT

10/12 Mild vs. Wild

Quote From: vlfischer

I also worked a register at Wally World, and that is part of the reason why I feel this way about clothing. Don't get me wrong, I have DEFINITELY gone out in "anti-sexy" clothes at times, but 90% of the time, i take a minute to make sure that my girls are covered and you can't see my butt or any other part for that matter.
As a Wally World associate, I'm sure you've bought some of your girl's clothes there. Seen things you wouldn't let them wear. And noticed that some of these clothes, especially from the Mary-Kate and Ashley line, are definitely too "old"and sophisticated for children still in pre-K and elementary school. 

October 20, 2007, 1:05 pm CDT

Pleeze!!

What children don't know can hurt them. So, they've never been told, or taught, what slutty is? Or what sexually provocative is?  Not knowing is no precaution against  sexual predation. It wouldn't occur to a sexual predator,  who sees a young girl wearing a sexually provocative outfit, that she's some poor innocent child who just doesn't know any better.  

I think you sound ridiculous, there is a big difference between what she is saying and what you are saying. Classy Nana is saying that kids don't know what a Ho is they know that a Bratz doll is a fun exciting, diverse doll to play with they aren't going to go out slutting around and wearing some thigh highs for fun. They aren't going to be so naive that some molester can give them a sucker and they are going to go in a car with them. You teach your kids right and wrong and what to watch out for and you will have no problem. Playing with a Bratz doll isn't going to change that! Stop blaming a 11 inch doll on influencing children. Blame yourself for what kind of views they have!

October 22, 2007, 1:29 pm CDT

You are SOOOOO right

As a Wally World associate, I'm sure you've bought some of your girl's clothes there. Seen things you wouldn't let them wear. And noticed that some of these clothes, especially from the Mary-Kate and Ashley line, are definitely too "old"and sophisticated for children still in pre-K and elementary school. 
I have bought about 90% of both of my kid's clothes at Wal-Mart. My kids are just 2 and 3 years old, so I'm not at that " you're NOT leaving my house in THAT!" phase yet. When that time comes however, I will be involved and HELP my kids decide what looks good on them. I don't want my son to go out looking like he just rolled out of bed and grabbed something off the floor and threw it on. I don't want my 13 year old daughter (when it comes) to look like my 17 year old daughter, ya know? Sex sells and unfortunately it is selling straight to our babies. I want to be the pest possible parent I can be and if that means telling them "NO" a lot then so be it. I also want my kids to be able to express themselves and be individuals in all aspects of their lives, so I don't want to have to tell them "no" ALL the time. I will say this: parents today are WAY TOO LAX on their kids. Parents are much more worried about their kid's being happy all the time because that makes the parents' lives easier, and the parents don't understand why their 16 year old daughter is pregnant and their 14 year old son is taking guns to school. I struggle with the same decisions and I worry all the time if I have made the right decision or not. I know that I am going to listen to what my kids are listening to, and watch what they are watching, and meet their friends, and keep an eye on their Internet use, and just be a hoovering parent. I think that kind of interest in them will show them that I DO care about them and I do care about what they are doing. Maybe if I'm into their scene they will be able to trust me enough with the really big things. Does that make sense?

November 17, 2007, 3:56 am CST

With a six year old

Ibnelieve it is abit too young to play Bratz doll. I believe you need to teach them the differnce between real and fake they are not at the puberty stage yet and you are buying bratz doll. Six year old focus on being a kid. I would wait when she is nine. You have three girls that are young and you are giving them what they want. You have to say no. And teach them the word no. You have to discipline them because they are children they do.t have the concept  about money they don't understand the word budget. You are giving them everything they want . They have to know what age you have to play with this kind of toy

November 17, 2007, 4:13 am CST

Clothes

You go to school and get an education. You don't go to dchool for fashion show this is to prepare for the real world and to go to the work world. In school you have a dress code and if you wear inappropriate clothing like thongs you need to be sent home from school. When you get older you will be going to work and some work places you won't be allowed to wear what you want like if you were to work at McDonalds you have to wear a McDonalds uniform. If you were to work in  an offfice you can't dress snazzy you dress like a bussiness young woman. Remember this is only your future this is why parents say no. Think about if you go to Jones it is expensive. Shop at Wal Mart you can get lowest price. If you want be an accountant you have to dress formal. You will be in job interview you need to dress formal. I use to work at Blockbusters and I had to wear either navy pants or beige pants. Ihad to wear Blockbuster uniform If you were a lifeguard you have to wear ashirt where it says LIFEGUARD and the red cross.If you work as a Lifeguard you wear a shirt that says lifeguard and red cross

November 17, 2007, 4:22 am CST

Children need Discipline

They want toys. They need to know what shows to watch there are movies that have sex in them. You have to say no because this only your future. I don't feel comfortable in girls wearing thongs. It is gross Dress decent. Dress normal. Send then to school and teach them to dress like young woman. You don't have to be amodel. Be yourselves. Don't be like Linsdau Lohan. You have to say no you can't afford to buy . You have to stick your guns and say no and stick with you budget. If they want thongs say no it is not appropriate

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last