Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Number of Replies: 428
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:29:23 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are known for wearing skimpy clothes, but does that mean midriffs and micro-minis are right for your daughter? A new debate is brewing over whether women should go mild or wild. First up, Brenda Sharman, the national director of Pure Fashion, believes young ladies should dress modestly. She faces off with four women from the audience who say there’s nothing wrong with showing a little skin. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Terri says her 8-year-old daughter has never had a Bratz doll and never will, but Melissa has no problem with her 6-year-old twins playing with the provocative pre-teens of plastic. Are Bratz just harmless toys or a negative influence? Plus, Lilly says her 19-year-old daughter, Cassie, dresses like a slut and a hooker, and even walks the dog in high heels! What can Lilly do to get Cassie to cover up, or should she? And, meet an 11-year-old who says her parents are too old-fashioned when it comes to her clothes, and they just need to get with the times. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 17, 2007, 7:24 am CST

Dislike those dolls

As a Hispanic women with a daughter I absolutely hate those dolls. My mother and I have dubbed them "hoochie dolls." They are protraying Hispanics and blacks negatively and its not like we need anymore bad press. I'm waiting for them to come out with the teen mother version. These are insulting and a bad influence on kids especially those with little to no parential influence. Whomever said its the parents vs the toys - they are right. I have never been a fan of Barbie either but at least she wanted to be a doctor. Mattel at least gave her a profession besides hooker.  I have alraedy forbidden my family from buying either doll. I'd rather them add to  my daughters college fund or buy her something useful. Until parents refuse to cave to these hoochie dolls then the toy companies will keep making them.

November 17, 2007, 8:38 am CST

Dressing Modestly

I have 2 daughters and they have been taught to dress modestly from the time they were little.  My oldest is a Senior in High School and always looks nice and dresses modestly.  Prom dresses  can be found that are modest.  Regular clothes can be found everywhere that are modest.  It is a parents responsibility, when their children are young, to set the boundaries .  It  isn't a fight if it's something they grow up knowing.
There are so many companies that have extra long t shirts and camisoles to wear under too short shirts.  Short shorts are OUT (well what hangs out is OUT). 
Why would a parent want their daughter to look like a tramp?  Stop buying clothes that make her look that way.  If you do give your daughter money to buy clothes, wouldn't you want to approve of what she buys?

November 17, 2007, 9:26 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Mild Phil Verse Wild. Have I seen this before? Yes I have. See you on Friday November 23rd, 2007.

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 17, 2007, 9:27 am CST

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

There has been many a teen pregnancy over the last hundred years... way before Bratz dolls ever existed... Maybe if they were home playing with their dolls, like children should be doing, they wouldn't have got pregnant????

November 17, 2007, 9:48 am CST

You have good intentions...

Quote From: vlfischer

I have bought about 90% of both of my kid's clothes at Wal-Mart. My kids are just 2 and 3 years old, so I'm not at that " you're NOT leaving my house in THAT!" phase yet. When that time comes however, I will be involved and HELP my kids decide what looks good on them. I don't want my son to go out looking like he just rolled out of bed and grabbed something off the floor and threw it on. I don't want my 13 year old daughter (when it comes) to look like my 17 year old daughter, ya know? Sex sells and unfortunately it is selling straight to our babies. I want to be the pest possible parent I can be and if that means telling them "NO" a lot then so be it. I also want my kids to be able to express themselves and be individuals in all aspects of their lives, so I don't want to have to tell them "no" ALL the time. I will say this: parents today are WAY TOO LAX on their kids. Parents are much more worried about their kid's being happy all the time because that makes the parents' lives easier, and the parents don't understand why their 16 year old daughter is pregnant and their 14 year old son is taking guns to school. I struggle with the same decisions and I worry all the time if I have made the right decision or not. I know that I am going to listen to what my kids are listening to, and watch what they are watching, and meet their friends, and keep an eye on their Internet use, and just be a hoovering parent. I think that kind of interest in them will show them that I DO care about them and I do care about what they are doing. Maybe if I'm into their scene they will be able to trust me enough with the really big things. Does that make sense?

I was the same way with my children who are now 17 and 19. Except that I did have Barbies for my daugther since she was 3...I loved them as a kid and wanted to pass that along. But as she got older..the age when she was curous about sex..the more I noticed that Barbies were sending the wrong message of what I wanted to teach her. So then I payed more attention to the outfits and made sure the ones she had weren't provacative. I also found that the Kelly and Skipper dolls were more appropriate.  I played with my daughter alot and would incorporate the proper ways to dress the dolls so they were respectfully clothed. I would say, "just because Skipper's skirt can fit on Barbie doesn't mean she should wear it...it is too short and that is not polite."  We played til she was about 11 years old. My daughter did not dress like most other students in her schools. But when she was about 15 or 16  she came to me one day and confessed that she had on a few occaisions rolled up the waist of her shorts.  She felt conflicted and guilty.  Now that she is 19 and on her own; the only issue I have with her style of dress is that sometimes her top is revealing cleavage and I don't like that. I just say you should button that up and sometimes I do it for her.  I am still a protective mother...and that is the point here.  Every parent should do what they can do --instill strong morals and values which includes keeping the sexy, provacative outfils out of their home because they send mixed messages to the child. Parents should emember that children's minds are like sponges.

November 17, 2007, 10:17 am CST

You are judged by others when you dress

Everyone knows this, the stars know this is true as well. Why do they dress the way they do? To get attention. If you want attention you will dress for it. When my daughter goes out and she is 24 she dresses for whatever she is going out for. If she is going to the store she will dress in jeans and a shirt, or shorts and a top, when she goes out to a club thats a different story. She wants to be noticed. Same thing with my son and my neice who are also the same age. They dress different depending where they were going. I was the type of mother who let them decide what was acceptable but I did have input and still do. They always ask me how they look to this day. I find out where they are going and then tell them what I think. They still listen, I am proud of that.

November 17, 2007, 10:25 am CST

Not for Sale

I worry about the message young girls are sending .  Yes they have the right to wear what they want and not be harrassed, but like the Fonz said to Short Cake on Happy Days, "If you are going to advertise, some one will always anwser the ad."  Be careful what you are advertising.

ALS, Michigan

November 17, 2007, 11:32 am CST

As the old adage goes: Monkey see monkey do.

By and large the media is full of mass negativity. Kids live what they learn and if children  play with toys that are scantly clad, they may want to dress like the dolls they choose to play with. Watching t.v Caleb's also marks the settings for an ideal image. Celebrities should take more responsibility for the minds that they will be influencing on a long term basis. Ultimately, it is the parent's responsibility to monitor what they see and do.

November 17, 2007, 11:36 am CST

The Bratz Dolls

I think that those bratz dolls are the worst toy that has ever come out for a little girl. They only promote that you have to be a skinny slutty looking thing for people to like you. I would never let my kids play with them and when thier birthdays and christmas come I tell everyone not to buy those dolls for them or they will end up back at the store or in the trash. I don't think that any little firl should be promoted to such a dispicable toy.

November 17, 2007, 12:27 pm CST

It just happens

I have a 19 yr old daughter that is very much in love with herself.  She recently had a boob job to go from a 36C to a 38D.  I was appauled.  She dresses like a whore, flaunts those boobs and looks like crap!  I am a teacher and was a stay at home mom.  She was raised well, wore school uniforms and had a lot of family support growing up;  but high school ended and whamo she changed.  It wasn't a doll, or Brittney Spears, it is her, a tall blonde that gets a lot of attention.  Now I am the bad guy and she won't talk to me anymore.  I just don't approve of her appearance or attitude. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last