Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Number of Replies: 428
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:29:23 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are known for wearing skimpy clothes, but does that mean midriffs and micro-minis are right for your daughter? A new debate is brewing over whether women should go mild or wild. First up, Brenda Sharman, the national director of Pure Fashion, believes young ladies should dress modestly. She faces off with four women from the audience who say there’s nothing wrong with showing a little skin. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Terri says her 8-year-old daughter has never had a Bratz doll and never will, but Melissa has no problem with her 6-year-old twins playing with the provocative pre-teens of plastic. Are Bratz just harmless toys or a negative influence? Plus, Lilly says her 19-year-old daughter, Cassie, dresses like a slut and a hooker, and even walks the dog in high heels! What can Lilly do to get Cassie to cover up, or should she? And, meet an 11-year-old who says her parents are too old-fashioned when it comes to her clothes, and they just need to get with the times. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 13, 2007, 11:34 am CST

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Quote From: madisonsmomma

My mother knew what clothes I bought and wore at 11. If I wore sorts or skirts back then they were probably almost knee length! Cassie's parents need to stop being push overs. You still have control over your child when they're 11!

Or, at least ought to! Many of Dr Phil's guests abdicated control while their children were still toddlers. And, expect him to undo the damage. The damage on Cassie has already been done.

December 13, 2007, 5:40 pm CST

Get a grip!

This is the year 2007 women can do anything they want to and can therefore wear ANYTHING they feel like! Feel good about your body! Also to the Mother that said she was concerned her daugther would get raped due to her sexy way of dressing, WOMEN ALSO GET RAPED WHILST WEARING A WHOLE LOT MORE!  

December 13, 2007, 5:55 pm CST

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

To Brenda Sharman, the national director of Pure Fashion, the women in the audience looked completely fine! The lady that apparently 'had too much clevage' HAD HARDLY ANY!! 

December 13, 2007, 6:39 pm CST

Whats wrong with how I dress?

I'm shocked that people believe there is a problem with the way teenage girls are dressing.

I have a very small clothing label Bundielicious Clothing and I dress the way I do to portray a character and get publicity for my clothing, I also feel better when I dress like I do and I feel more confident.  Even earlier this year I was not confident enough to wear what I wanted to but friends liking my designs and my best friend who also dresses like I do and has a clothing label helped me become more confident in myself.

I do however dress appropriately depending on where I am.  I do not always wear a corset, short skirt, fishnets and demonia heels.  Right now I'm wearing pants and a top, I'm completely covered and that is how I do dress most days.

When I go out with my friends I do like to show people what they can't have.  I do get attention from guys but when I tell them I'm a lesbian most of them understand that I'm not interested and they go back to what they were doing.  Every now and then there has been one that wants me and a friend to make out or something but we can take care of ourselves and since we are in a public place with friends there has never been a problem. 

I grew up around marching (drill dance) and a lot of the costumes are revealing or short.  I have been in the sport for 15 years now and although it has made me comfortable enough to wear what I want it hasn't made me dress how I do. 

I dress how I do because I like it and it makes me happy.

January 7, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

Twin Mama Agree's

Quote From: lolly89

I'm shocked that people believe there is a problem with the way teenage girls are dressing.

I have a very small clothing label Bundielicious Clothing and I dress the way I do to portray a character and get publicity for my clothing, I also feel better when I dress like I do and I feel more confident.  Even earlier this year I was not confident enough to wear what I wanted to but friends liking my designs and my best friend who also dresses like I do and has a clothing label helped me become more confident in myself.

I do however dress appropriately depending on where I am.  I do not always wear a corset, short skirt, fishnets and demonia heels.  Right now I'm wearing pants and a top, I'm completely covered and that is how I do dress most days.

When I go out with my friends I do like to show people what they can't have.  I do get attention from guys but when I tell them I'm a lesbian most of them understand that I'm not interested and they go back to what they were doing.  Every now and then there has been one that wants me and a friend to make out or something but we can take care of ourselves and since we are in a public place with friends there has never been a problem. 

I grew up around marching (drill dance) and a lot of the costumes are revealing or short.  I have been in the sport for 15 years now and although it has made me comfortable enough to wear what I want it hasn't made me dress how I do. 

I dress how I do because I like it and it makes me happy.

I was just checking the board for new posts and I completely agree with you, your right on sister!

June 16, 2008, 12:21 pm CDT

actions louder than clothes

It's not like this is the first generation of girls who are dressing provocatively and shocking their parents. Personally, I think that some of the fashions from centuries ago were worse for women than tight clothes or a little bit of cleavage. I mean, look at the movie the Other Bolyn Girl - Natalie Portman actually has heaving buxoms from those clothes. There were also bustle rolls and bound feet all to attract the attentions of men.

One thing that annoys me is that little girls can't go around without shirts on. Little kids look the same until puberty, so it doesn't make sense that boys can run around without shirts and girls can't. They aren't running around to be provocative, and yet we're making something out of nothing. My family skinny dipped together, and there wasn't anything remotely sexual about it.

Clothes are a mode of expression, and parents should address the underlying issues instead of making the clothes the issue, if they're really worried.

June 16, 2008, 12:34 pm CDT

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Quote From: princessgina

I think a pet rock would be more appropiate for a kid before I'd give them a pregnant Barbie or that other doll that made them look and kind of have the idea of being pregnant.
What's wrong with little girls pretending to be pregnant or have dolls who are pregnant? Pretend play is an important part of education for the pre-school set, and if they can have baby dolls and pretend to be mommies, why not act out pregnancy too? Especially if their own moms are pregnant. I think you'll find that many of them are already stuffing pillows up their shirts to play at it. It's not going to make them teen moms.

June 25, 2008, 4:31 pm CDT

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Quote From: carojane

What's wrong with little girls pretending to be pregnant or have dolls who are pregnant? Pretend play is an important part of education for the pre-school set, and if they can have baby dolls and pretend to be mommies, why not act out pregnancy too? Especially if their own moms are pregnant. I think you'll find that many of them are already stuffing pillows up their shirts to play at it. It's not going to make them teen moms.

But, maybe their preoccupation with pregnancy will make them want to become teen moms. Some teen girls even want babies. And, try desperately to get pregnant. Just this past Monday, I watched a news item about 20 Gloucester High School students all in the same stage of pregnancy. And, some admitted to deliberately having unprotected sex in hope of having a baby to "love" them. Leading to rumors of a pregnancy "pact".

First | Prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Next Page | Last Page