Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Number of Replies: 428
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 05, 2007, 11:29:23 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Celebrities like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Richie are known for wearing skimpy clothes, but does that mean midriffs and micro-minis are right for your daughter? A new debate is brewing over whether women should go mild or wild. First up, Brenda Sharman, the national director of Pure Fashion, believes young ladies should dress modestly. She faces off with four women from the audience who say there’s nothing wrong with showing a little skin. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Terri says her 8-year-old daughter has never had a Bratz doll and never will, but Melissa has no problem with her 6-year-old twins playing with the provocative pre-teens of plastic. Are Bratz just harmless toys or a negative influence? Plus, Lilly says her 19-year-old daughter, Cassie, dresses like a slut and a hooker, and even walks the dog in high heels! What can Lilly do to get Cassie to cover up, or should she? And, meet an 11-year-old who says her parents are too old-fashioned when it comes to her clothes, and they just need to get with the times. Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 17, 2007, 9:00 pm CST

Does Dr. Phil use actors on his show?

Can someone tell me where to post this?  I've already written to Dr. Phil w/no response.

Dr. Phil did a series of shows a while back in the Dr. Phil house called The House of Hatred.  There was a racist, a homophobe, a fatty hater, a skinny hater, etc.

Well, the African American woman who was the racist I think was maybe an actress.  I am almost positive that I am seeing her in a current commercial for Church's Fried Chicken.  She looks the same and I was struck by her very familiar voice.

I will be beyond disappointed if I find Dr. Phil is using actors to play parts on his shows.  As a matter of fact, I would never watch his show again.  I so hope I am wrong and am really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I have always thought him to have more integrity than to stoop to something like this.

I am frustrated that no one from the show has responded to me to either confirm or deny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Edited by staff: To answer your question, the Dr. Phil show does not use actors.

November 17, 2007, 10:14 pm CST

mild vs wild

As a parent of a 28 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter I must say that Parents need to wake up and make sure that there children are dressing appropriately.Yes there are a lot of slutty clothes out there and things like the BRatz dolls and celebrities  that promote provocative  dressing but it is up to us a parents to lay the ground rules down  for our daughters. Ensure your daughters are dressing appropriately not trashy..That is our responsibilty as parents not the anyone elses's

November 18, 2007, 6:47 am CST

Sick of the scapegoats

I believe blaming Bratz dolls for how parents let their children dress is asinine.  When I was a little one parents blamed Barbie for giving girls poor body images.  Despite all the evils of Barbie I turned into a respectful adult.  That's why I'm not too worried about my 7 year old playing with her Bratz dolls.  She, my daughter, does call the scantily clad dolls "hoochies" and in turn now she is running all over  telling other girls they need to put clothes on, or out and out calls them hoochies.  I just get looks, what would you say to a 7 year old telling you you're dressed like a hooch?  Why do I still buy my baby girl Bratz dolls?  They do spark creativity.  She can go online with one of them and gets to design clothes,hair and makeup.  Then you have the video game where she can make her own magazine. 

IF we want to point fingers as a community about "who is responsible"...well besides the parents...look at Limited Too, they cross the line on outfits targeted at children as young as 6.  We really have to be picky with Gwyn there.  Then you have Juicy.   Seriously...I don't even want to turn my bottom into a billboard and I'm an adult in shape!  Instead of the focus being on toys, Dr Phil needs to focus on the fashion industry because that's who beating the parents at the game.

November 18, 2007, 8:29 am CST

Blaming dolls???

Young girls and children are not getting this from dolls!! Just open your eyes and look at tv. Practically every female on tv seems to want to expose their body. Doesn't matter if its on a cooking show, decorating show, "Bounty Hunter" (Beth), all the girls on Deal or No Deal, and even the characters on murder shows, comedy shows and other types of tv shows. Believe me, I'm not a prude, I just don't get a thrill out of constantly seeing boobs exposed on tv. Boy, there's a lot of silicon on tv. As long as women are allowed to expose their bodies on tv, children and young girls will believe this is the proper way to dress.

November 18, 2007, 11:06 am CST

What happened to morals?

It's sad to see young people think so little of themselves. Brittany Spears and people like her should not be ridiculed or put down...I think they need to have some guidance.

I've often heard that money will bring out a person's true character. This seems to be the case with these young people.

Young people, today, are just let go, in my opinion. Parents are too busy dealing with money issues because spending is out of hand, or they're divorced and dating...whatever the case is, I think parents need to take control of their children.

Parents are supposed to make the rules.....and it's our job, as parents, to make sure the rules are adhered to. If a person under the age of 18 is running around dressing inappropriately, where are the parents and why is it allowed?

I've made a lot of mistakes raising my children and my step-children. If I had realized earlier how everything I say or do affects my kids in some way, I would have been more careful with my words and with my actions.

I can't go back in time and do things over, but I can make a difference from this point on. I can set my foot down and mean it. I can monitor their friends, what they're wearing and more importantly, who or what is influencing them.

There was a time when only the less desired types sported tattoos. Look around now....there's hardly a kid anywhere that does not have a tattoo. I think it's their big statement....it's my body and I can tattoo it if I want.

Just a few words to the wise...Skin wrinkles and sags....tattoos are painful to remove!

Parents....get out the Bible and write down the 10 Commandments! Live by them yourselves and teach them to your kids!

If I sound like a Bible-Thumper...good...I am one.

The best thing we could do for our children and society would be to put God back where He belongs....in our lives!

November 18, 2007, 5:33 pm CST

Teach them to respect themselves please

I would like to know if it’s parents or kids who are raising these kids. I don’t believe BRATZ are the problem with kids dressing provocatively. They are some what influenced by the stars that they look up to as well as the fashion industry but they also have parents that they should be close to enough to respect what the rules are. Parents should be teaching these girls to respect themselves enough to not dress this way. I have a 15year old girl that I am always teaching and showing her that she needs to respect herself otherwise others are not going to take her seriously and respect her or her opinion. And if that doesn’t work then I just tell her that if she is dressing like that there are men her fathers age who are PIGS that look at her like a women and don’t care how old she is, how gross is that?  Don’t get me wrong she is very far from being perfect and I am far from being a perfect parent but I want to be respectful to her and teach her to love herself. She always tells us that her friends do it or that’s what is out there but I don’t care I’m not their parent. She doesn’t really like us when we give her rules but I’m ok with that as long as she is respectful to herself. I do think that the stars and the fashion industry do take things to far when they have young girls like Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and Nicole Richie try too early to make it in the industry. I will try to be far I am sure it is hard for single moms, or for people on low income or in low income areas but you must persist and do the right thing love your girls and teach them to respect themselves.

November 18, 2007, 5:39 pm CST

mild vs wild

My daughter is 12 years of age going to be 13yrs this year, I also have a neice who is two years younger than her but when you look at the both of them you think they are the same age. The difference is, my neice loves to dress provocative and dance provocative and acts way older than she is. She talks about having boyfriends and wants to be a teenager instead of a young girl. Her life revolves around being noticed and is very mature. My daughter on the on other hand is very shy, she likes movies like high school musical and princess diries. My neice is the way she is because her mother is the same way, she allows her daughter to act provocative and older than her ten years of age. I agree its the parents who have a big impact on their children, but I also know that other children have a big impact on eachother and what that this generation is growing up really fast. Its all about cell phones, internet, fashion ect... all we can do as parents is talk to our little girls about what is important and how to look pretty without wearing alot of make-up or slutty clothing, in my opinion I agree that what you wear is your own personal buisness, and if you feel good about yourself than go for it, everyone has judgements, regardless its your child that you are influencing, you are the model...

November 18, 2007, 5:48 pm CST

11/23 Mild vs. Wild

Being from the Barbie Era, I have to say one thing, Barbie at that time was a Doctor, Nurse, Vet, Pilot etc.  The Bratz dolls are what exactly ? Fashionista Divas ? Not really what I would want my daughter to aspire to, that said however, its up to the PARENTS, I've often wondered who controls the credit cards in most homes these days. If you do NOT want your daughter to have these dolls, here's a thought, say "NO" , but I belive most toys (God, those dolls are HIDEOUS, less realistic than Barbie ever was, really has anyone else wondered how one goes camping in mini skirts and heels ?) are harmless.

Clothes, the eternal struggle between parents and their teen and pre teen daughters.  May I ask why it matters if your child thinks you're "Old Fashioned " ? If the parents are uncomfortable with their 11 or 12 year old looking more like she belongs on a street corner than in middle school, then get comfortable with being the "bad guy", do they control the money ? I hope not.  They won't go out naked, and yes the grumble and growl, big deal, they will get over it.

As for the 19 year old, her choice to dress as she wishes, as long as she's paying for it.  I found that when they had to pay for their own, suddenly labels weren't that important.

Actually that's not a problem I've had, my kid's clothes were usually bought at Walmart or somewhere like that, the only "Designer "labels they've had were bought at thrift stores (you know after the neighbor's Fashionista wore it once, and couldn't possibly wear it again ) wouldn't  "Tommy" just DIEif he knew I could get a pair of his jeans for $5.00 (hehe).

I don't really blame the media either, I've always belived it starts at home with the word "NO", if you don't want your daughter to wear it, then tell them, and tell them WHY.

Has anyone else seen this, "Thongs" for the six year old crowd.  Is it just me that seems really WRONG to ?

What disappoints me is we are allowing ourselves to sexualize our children before they are even old enough to know what that means, and not necessarily intentionally, why do our daughters need to be exposed ?  Why does a 12 year old need to show clevage ? Or an 11 year old need to wear a micro mini ? And why are parents so weak they allow it ?  Prude, NOPE, I just don't see any need for little girls to dress like Lindsay or Bitteny, and I thought we were supposed to discourage that kind ogf imitation and peer pressure and give our kids the tools and strength to be able resist it.

November 18, 2007, 8:37 pm CST

I Love Bratz! Bratz are Good!!!!

Quote From: callie41

Young girls and children are not getting this from dolls!! Just open your eyes and look at tv. Practically every female on tv seems to want to expose their body. Doesn't matter if its on a cooking show, decorating show, "Bounty Hunter" (Beth), all the girls on Deal or No Deal, and even the characters on murder shows, comedy shows and other types of tv shows. Believe me, I'm not a prude, I just don't get a thrill out of constantly seeing boobs exposed on tv. Boy, there's a lot of silicon on tv. As long as women are allowed to expose their bodies on tv, children and young girls will believe this is the proper way to dress.

People need to get a reality check. You are so right wherever you go you see exposed bodys.  Walking down the street, mall, tv, can't get away from it.  Don't blame a fun toy kids like to play with like mine do! I have the 6 year old twins that play with the Bratz and clothing as well and don't ever plan on stopping and I am proud to say I am buying some for Christmas!

November 19, 2007, 1:21 pm CST

Bratz are dreadful!

Quote From: mariemeece

but my 14 year is getting out of control some is my fault but some is her fathers iam doing what i can on my end but watching here every move now we are divorced and us fighting and him say to her she dont half to listen to me is alot of her problems she is almost to much for me to handle this week end she said she was at one house was 25 miles at another and that was my fault she she did that because i dont like the people. i am just at my wits end she is a goos kid. then when the kids see the stars act like this it dont help i think it makes it worse

I work at a Target Superstore and I first saw a Bratz doll last week in the toy department. I was really shocked.

It is not your fault that your daughter lied to you! If you don't like the people she wanted to see, you probably have a very good reason. I ran around with really wild people when I was a teen, and I'm glad I could not have children, because I'd hate to have "it all come back to me"!

Your daughter could very easily be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people. I can't tell you what to do, but if it was me, I'd ground that little girl for at least a couple of weeks. I mean, no games, internet, or cell phone time! Your daughter needs to learn that if you don't want her to go somewhere, she had better not go, and she had better not lie to you about where she is going and who with. You are her mother, and she is lucky that she has a mother that cares enough about her to say "no"! She cannot possibly appreciate it now, but she will when she is older!

It was when I was skipping school and being around bad people that I started doing cocaine. There are many bad people who are looking to take advantage of teenage girls. Unfortuately, you cannot control what happens when she is at her father's, but you can be the parent when she is there with you. If I had a teenage daughter, I would not hesitate to let her spend some time in juvenile detention. That was the one thing that if my parents had gone there, that would have made an impression on me. They would never let the police become involved, and I would never listen to them, but I would have paid attention to being in "juvie". Maybe I would have finished school and attended college if I would have experienced that particular consequence.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last