Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2007, 4:27 pm CDT

living on one income

Quote From: lorifitz

your situatino sounds alot like mine.  I think overall... a lot of men just don't want responsibilities.  I just left a man after 5 years and having one daughter with him... he is a drug addict, so money was definitely an issue.  It got so bad that I was starving myself to save the food for our little girl.  Now it's not that bad... but he still hasn't found a job either... he's sought some help for his addiction but that doesn't buy food or pay the babysitter.  Sometimes I feel like all i'm working for our apartment and the babysitter because each pay check is spent mostly on those two.  But... I am going to live with my mother.  I'm biting the bullet and at the age of 26 i am moving back in with mommy dearest!  BUT... the rent is less than half of what i'm paying now, so i'm hoping to clear up my debt and finally be able to buy my little girl a beautiful outfit... or a new toy... or some candy even!!!!

You are obviously thinking of moving.... If that is what you feel you need to do.. .then do it!!! kids are very adaptable, even if they are teens.  A change might be good for all of you.  That is what I did, and I feel relieved.  I don't make a lot of money, but I just keep telling myself "I can do this!"  I will work as hard as possible to provide for my child... and i feel like i've got the world on a string!

Good luck to you! 

I have a simmular situation. My daughters father is a "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR" also and thinks that he does not have to pay. My daughter is now 15 and he thinks that he can pay when he wants to. Well, when she was a baby I went to the states District Attorney Child Support Division and gave them my court papers and they handle all of my support. When he does not pay they take his drivers liscence away and make him go to court and make him pay. If not the they will put a warrent out for him and he will go to jail. Even though he is $30,000.00 behind, when she turns 18 he still has to pay until it is ALL PAID OFF!!! And the program is FREE. Hope this helps

August 17, 2007, 4:14 pm CDT

Is this the life you envision for yourself?

Quote From: destinyraine

These past five months has been really tough on me, I am 21years old and i am supporting my friance and myself with a job that pays only 8.50 an hour. Lately i have been so frustrated and angry dealing with my finance problems I barely have enought to pay rent let alone buy food for my household. My fiance who i love with all my heart has been out of work for five months and hasnt put enough effort in finding a job since he is in college until june. I have been trying to hold on until he graduates but our situation is out of control now. Every time i get paid i literally have to use every penny on bills, food or gas for our car, this is hard to do by yourself when your earnings aren't enough. I just dont know how long do i wait for my fiance to get up and get a job even if its just a little part time job.how much more stress do i put myself through. I have lost so much in the last few months. My car got reposessed and i lost a great job opportunity with an airline company because i couldnt afford to pay rent and pay for my month long training i needed for the job. I am finding myself having so much regret living with my fiance even though i love him dearly, sometimes i think things would be better if we lived apart until we were more financially stable but at the same time i want to get through this tough time together and make things work. I guess it all comes down to him though. If he shows no effort in wanting to help me then i guess it is best that we go seperate ways at least until he graduates college and get things straight for himself, so i can work on bettering myself instead of worrying constantly about bills and money.

It sounds to me like you are being used by your fiance!  Maybe he isn not doing this on purpose but you have to seriously consider your future here.  Your furutre spouse should lift you up, care for you, do whatever it takes to make sure you have the necessities in life and not take advantage.  The two of you are not married yet and he already isn't carrying his weight. and putting your future (car repossession, job with the airline) at risk.  Marriage is a lot like a busienss deal, you can't just make the decision with your heart.  Do you want ot have children?  Or buy a home one day?  It seems to me like maybe you should do what is best for you right now and when/if he can prove to you that he can be a partner in a relationship then proceed with your life together.  It doesn't seem fair for you to marry him and possibly have children with him and then break up a family when things continue for the next 15 years as they have so far. 

August 17, 2007, 4:18 pm CDT

These past five months has been really tough on me, I am 21years old and i am supporting my friance and myself with a job that pays only 8.50 an hour. Lately i have been so frustrated and angry dealing with my finance problems I barely have enought to pay rent let alone buy food for my household. My fiance who i love with all my heart has been out of work for five months and hasnt put enough effort in finding a job since he is in college until june. I have been trying to hold on until he graduates but our situation is out of control now. Every time i get paid i literally have to use every penny on bills, food or gas for our car, this is hard to do by yourself when your earnings aren't enough. I just dont know how long do i wait for my fiance to get up and get a job even if its just a little part time job.how much more stress do i put myself through. I have lost so much in the last few months. My car got reposessed and i lost a great job opportunity with an airline company because i couldnt afford to pay rent and pay for my month long training i needed for the job. I am finding myself having so much regret living with my fiance even though i love him dearly, sometimes i think things would be better if we lived apart until we were more financially stable but at the same time i want to get through this tough time together and make things work. I guess it all comes down to him though. If he shows no effort in wanting to help me then i guess it is best that we go seperate ways at least until he graduates college and get things straight for himself, so i can work on bettering myself instead of worrying constantly about bills and money.

It sounds to me like you are being used by your fiance!  Maybe he isn not doing this on purpose but you have to seriously consider your future here.  Your furutre spouse should lift you up, care for you, do whatever it takes to make sure you have the necessities in life and not take advantage.  The two of you are not married yet and he already isn't carrying his weight. and putting your future (car repossession, job with the airline) at risk.  Marriage is a lot like a busienss deal, you can't just make the decision with your heart.  Do you want ot have children?  Or buy a home one day?  It seems to me like maybe you should do what is best for you right now and when/if he can prove to you that he can be a partner in a relationship then proceed with your life together.  It doesn't seem fair for you to marry him and possibly have children with him and then break up a family when things continue for the next 15 years as they have so far. 

August 17, 2007, 4:24 pm CDT

September 3, 2007, 8:21 am CDT

ONE INCOME DEFINITELY!!!

It seems to get harder and harder these days to make ends meet. I am a single mother who works 2 jobs and goes to school. I barely get everything paid for!! Sometimes I get stressed out over bills, money, etc. And then I am tired all of the time because it feels like I never have a break! But in the end I look around and realize that atleast I am healthy, my kid is healthy and my kid is happy. I just hope that he realizes when he gets older how hard I worked for him.

September 3, 2007, 1:52 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: candace

Thank you for your suggestion that I should talk with family or friends, the ones that understand are either single like myself and might have also worked on comission. I don't really feel that I'm working for the money. I forgot to tell you that I live 22 miles from Washington DC and it is very expensive. I live in a upper middle class neighborhood. The stress is from not knowing week to week what I will make, comission is very hard to live on. I hear people with two incomes coming 

into a household  weekly and I don't understand that I feel you just need a budget. I can't budget when I don't know what I'm making. My family does not understand. They have a different life from me there both marrried with children.    

Well you poor baby...living in an upper middle class neighborhood...and doing this all on your own?...you poor thing. I am 42 and raising my child on my own...no support from family or friends..and definitely not from my ex...I am lucky to get any child supprt from him. I rent and have no insurance on anything I own!!! Can't afford it!!!  I have never owned a home...think about what that must feel like? I work and I work hard. At one time when My vehicle broke down I had to walk EVERYWHERE because I live in a small community and there is no public transportation. Just getting groceries was tough. It took a year and a half before I got the money to fix my vehicle. Heck. I haven't even dated in SIX years!!! No I am not unattractive I just don't need anymore complications in my life right now. So ALWAYS remember...someone out there has it worse than you...Just as I know someone out there has it worse than me.

September 4, 2007, 7:06 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: susieqz

Well you poor baby...living in an upper middle class neighborhood...and doing this all on your own?...you poor thing. I am 42 and raising my child on my own...no support from family or friends..and definitely not from my ex...I am lucky to get any child supprt from him. I rent and have no insurance on anything I own!!! Can't afford it!!!  I have never owned a home...think about what that must feel like? I work and I work hard. At one time when My vehicle broke down I had to walk EVERYWHERE because I live in a small community and there is no public transportation. Just getting groceries was tough. It took a year and a half before I got the money to fix my vehicle. Heck. I haven't even dated in SIX years!!! No I am not unattractive I just don't need anymore complications in my life right now. So ALWAYS remember...someone out there has it worse than you...Just as I know someone out there has it worse than me.

i know where you're coming from (as far as the renting thing and the walking thing) I wish our town would get it together and get some decnt public transit. Our car's in the sho (again ugh!) Sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

I do get what's got the other poster upset and it's all about uncertainty not knowing what's coming in from month to month can be a real challenge.

Do you coupon? I'm a huge coupon fanatic. as well as rebates, codes, etc. A couple great sites are ...YDF (just google YDF (your daily free stuff) and Hotcouponworld.com  The people are so friendly and it's absolutley free to join. I've learned and have gotten so much. the majority of it free.

Just some of the stuff...Marlboro Blu Zippo Lighter, Aero socks (3 pack) No Nonsense socks (3 pack) tons of deoderant, and razors, coffee, shampoo, detergent samples and coupons. Lots and lots of free pet food. My hubby has psoriasis bad and I've gotten him 2 free tubes of this awesome creme (nothing else works) juicy juice  (they sent the bottle of the harvest surprise and coupons) walmart gives out samples and they're listed also... I've gotten hanes her way panties, cereal, lipton sides, and alll sorts of stuff.

Then there's the couponing forums that'll help you match deals and things of that nature.

I know you may think it's awfully time-consuming  and at first it might be but it can also be alot of fun. My kids go racing to the mailbox to see what we got. Sure beats getting just bills. tho' I think my mailman hates me LOL!

anyway, have a good one! ~ faery

October 2, 2007, 9:16 pm CDT

living on one income

i am a mother of 5 children and i am married but my husband does not work currnetly and i get disability from the state and we are making it by on just my income and let me tell you it is really tough on me somedays i just want to really give up on everything.my children want and need alot of things and i just cannot afford to get it for them with all the bills piling up on me. i have an 8 year old who really wants to play the flute and i cannot even afford to get that for her.i do all the coupons i can and i even go for all the cheapest things i can get if it  takes to go to the dollar store when we need things then so be it no promblem.but i feel really bad as a parent for my kids who would just once love to have some of the things that they need and want everyday that goes by my children understand to be very thankful even for the littlest things that they get.on their birthdays it is really awful sometimes i cannot even buy them one thing for their birthday but still they understand. but as i read from someone else yea you may have it rough but their are other people who have it alot worse and some families do not even have money to feed their children so everyday that goes by i am thankful for the fact that my kids are able to go to school and have food in their mouths everyday because some families do not have that at all .

October 3, 2007, 12:26 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: colerenee

i am a mother of 5 children and i am married but my husband does not work currnetly and i get disability from the state and we are making it by on just my income and let me tell you it is really tough on me somedays i just want to really give up on everything.my children want and need alot of things and i just cannot afford to get it for them with all the bills piling up on me. i have an 8 year old who really wants to play the flute and i cannot even afford to get that for her.i do all the coupons i can and i even go for all the cheapest things i can get if it  takes to go to the dollar store when we need things then so be it no promblem.but i feel really bad as a parent for my kids who would just once love to have some of the things that they need and want everyday that goes by my children understand to be very thankful even for the littlest things that they get.on their birthdays it is really awful sometimes i cannot even buy them one thing for their birthday but still they understand. but as i read from someone else yea you may have it rough but their are other people who have it alot worse and some families do not even have money to feed their children so everyday that goes by i am thankful for the fact that my kids are able to go to school and have food in their mouths everyday because some families do not have that at all .

Have you tried Craig's List or Freecycle for the flute? Alot of people post things they're willing to trade or that they just don't have need of anymore.  I'd do a search  on one of those.

I don't forget for a moment that there are people who are worse off than I am. I also don't forget for a second to be grateful  for what I do have (like a home and my family, and my health)

November 15, 2007, 7:14 am CST

sinking faster

HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I feel like I have failed my children! I have worked so hard trying to keep a roof over their heads and still I don't have enough...as I said before, I have no family to help...my ex...ya whatever!!! The 'man' is nowhere to be found and has been such most of the past 10 1/2 years that we have been divorced....I can't leave my 15 year old home alone while I work! She is engaging in very unhealthy activities...It is illegal to leave my 10 year old home alone, plus he has an emotional disorder...there is no relief in site to help pay our bills...I CAN'T QUIT SCHOOL!  I have put it off way to long thinking that I wasn't smart enough to do it...now I know that I can...I CAN GET  A COLLEGE DEGREE in Water Resource Management, as long as I can get the funds to keep our financial situation in better shape...I just need a little help! It is a shame that the only programs that are available to help with Tech Cert. and yet as a single income home, we need at least a Bachelor’s…If I work full time and take a few classes here and there, I will be retirement age and  my children grown. Why is it, that my children can’t have a better life because I am only one person providing for them? My youngest needs to stay where he is or his whole world gets turned upside down....I know that there are so many people saying that we should go to subsidized housing...I can not change his home and school all over again...he doesn't deal well with change...and he is finally doing so well in school for the first time! I have applied for every program in the area for help and there is not enough to get us through till next semester... I just need the rest of this month, December and part of January...our rent is $650 a month...I have paid for this month...I have gotten energy assistance...that may get us through January...it is the rest of the bills and the female items that we are needing...I have the kids on the Angel Tree....we are getting a Turkey basket for Thanksgiving and Dinner for Christmas... We don't have a tree...I am sure that I can take my 'camping saw' and cut down a little tree to make do with, not sure if it is legal...but at this time, i don't know what else to do...please pray for us...we need $1300 for rent...we will need $150 for the electric,$200 for the phone/internet (needed for school and emergency) $80 for car insurance, $80 for Gas in the car to get me and my son to the doctors, $30 for household items, and $20 for my daughter's birthday on the 27th of November...I am at a loss...I will be so grateful if there would be a bunch of folks willing to pray for us!
I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again....  HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I feel like I have failed my children! I have worked so hard trying to keep a roof over their heads and still I don't have enough...as I said before, I have no family to help...my ex...ya whatever!!! The 'man' is nowhere to be found and has been such most of the past 10 1/2 years that we have been divorced....I can't leave my 15 year old home alone while I work! She is engaging in very unhealthy activities...It is illegal to leave my 10 year old home alone, plus he has an emotional disorder...there is no relief in site to help pay our bills...I CAN'T QUIT SCHOOL!  I have put it off way to long thinking that I wasn't smart enough to do it...now I know that I can...I CAN GET  A COLLEGE DEGREE in Water Resource Management, as long as I can get the funds to keep our financial situation in better shape...I just need a little help! It is a shame that the only programs that are available to help with Tech Cert. and yet as a single income home, we need at least a Bachelor’s…If I work full time and take a few classes here and there, I will be retirement age and  my children grown. Why is it, that my children can’t have a better life because I am only one person providing for them? My youngest needs to stay where he is or his whole world gets turned upside down....I know that there are so many people saying that we should go to subsidized housing...I can not change his home and school all over again...he doesn't deal well with change...and he is finally doing so well in school for the first time! I have applied for every program in the area for help and there is not enough to get us through till next semester... I just need the rest of this month, December and part of January...our rent is $650 a month...I have paid for this month...I have gotten energy assistance...that may get us through January...it is the rest of the bills and the female items that we are needing...I have the kids on the Angel Tree....we are getting a Turkey basket for Thanksgiving and Dinner for Christmas... We don't have a tree...I am sure that I can take my 'camping saw' and cut down a little tree to make do with, not sure if it is legal...but at this time, i don't know what else to do...please pray for us...we need $1300 for rent...we will need $150 for the electric,$200 for the phone/internet (needed for school and emergency) $80 for car insurance, $80 for Gas in the car to get me and my son to the doctors, $30 for household items, and $20 for my daughter's birthday on the 27th of November...I am at a loss...I will be so grateful if there would be a bunch of folks willing to pray for us!
I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again.... HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again.... HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again....

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next | Last