Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2007, 7:23 am CST

sorry for copying so many times

Quote From: dinatwn

HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I feel like I have failed my children! I have worked so hard trying to keep a roof over their heads and still I don't have enough...as I said before, I have no family to help...my ex...ya whatever!!! The 'man' is nowhere to be found and has been such most of the past 10 1/2 years that we have been divorced....I can't leave my 15 year old home alone while I work! She is engaging in very unhealthy activities...It is illegal to leave my 10 year old home alone, plus he has an emotional disorder...there is no relief in site to help pay our bills...I CAN'T QUIT SCHOOL!  I have put it off way to long thinking that I wasn't smart enough to do it...now I know that I can...I CAN GET  A COLLEGE DEGREE in Water Resource Management, as long as I can get the funds to keep our financial situation in better shape...I just need a little help! It is a shame that the only programs that are available to help with Tech Cert. and yet as a single income home, we need at least a BachelorsIf I work full time and take a few classes here and there, I will be retirement age and  my children grown. Why is it, that my children cant have a better life because I am only one person providing for them? My youngest needs to stay where he is or his whole world gets turned upside down....I know that there are so many people saying that we should go to subsidized housing...I can not change his home and school all over again...he doesn't deal well with change...and he is finally doing so well in school for the first time! I have applied for every program in the area for help and there is not enough to get us through till next semester... I just need the rest of this month, December and part of January...our rent is $650 a month...I have paid for this month...I have gotten energy assistance...that may get us through January...it is the rest of the bills and the female items that we are needing...I have the kids on the Angel Tree....we are getting a Turkey basket for Thanksgiving and Dinner for Christmas... We don't have a tree...I am sure that I can take my 'camping saw' and cut down a little tree to make do with, not sure if it is legal...but at this time, i don't know what else to do...please pray for us...we need $1300 for rent...we will need $150 for the electric,$200 for the phone/internet (needed for school and emergency) $80 for car insurance, $80 for Gas in the car to get me and my son to the doctors, $30 for household items, and $20 for my daughter's birthday on the 27th of November...I am at a loss...I will be so grateful if there would be a bunch of folks willing to pray for us!
I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again....  HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I feel like I have failed my children! I have worked so hard trying to keep a roof over their heads and still I don't have enough...as I said before, I have no family to help...my ex...ya whatever!!! The 'man' is nowhere to be found and has been such most of the past 10 1/2 years that we have been divorced....I can't leave my 15 year old home alone while I work! She is engaging in very unhealthy activities...It is illegal to leave my 10 year old home alone, plus he has an emotional disorder...there is no relief in site to help pay our bills...I CAN'T QUIT SCHOOL!  I have put it off way to long thinking that I wasn't smart enough to do it...now I know that I can...I CAN GET  A COLLEGE DEGREE in Water Resource Management, as long as I can get the funds to keep our financial situation in better shape...I just need a little help! It is a shame that the only programs that are available to help with Tech Cert. and yet as a single income home, we need at least a BachelorsIf I work full time and take a few classes here and there, I will be retirement age and  my children grown. Why is it, that my children cant have a better life because I am only one person providing for them? My youngest needs to stay where he is or his whole world gets turned upside down....I know that there are so many people saying that we should go to subsidized housing...I can not change his home and school all over again...he doesn't deal well with change...and he is finally doing so well in school for the first time! I have applied for every program in the area for help and there is not enough to get us through till next semester... I just need the rest of this month, December and part of January...our rent is $650 a month...I have paid for this month...I have gotten energy assistance...that may get us through January...it is the rest of the bills and the female items that we are needing...I have the kids on the Angel Tree....we are getting a Turkey basket for Thanksgiving and Dinner for Christmas... We don't have a tree...I am sure that I can take my 'camping saw' and cut down a little tree to make do with, not sure if it is legal...but at this time, i don't know what else to do...please pray for us...we need $1300 for rent...we will need $150 for the electric,$200 for the phone/internet (needed for school and emergency) $80 for car insurance, $80 for Gas in the car to get me and my son to the doctors, $30 for household items, and $20 for my daughter's birthday on the 27th of November...I am at a loss...I will be so grateful if there would be a bunch of folks willing to pray for us!
I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again.... HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again.... HELP ME KEEP IT TOGETHER

I don't mean to sound so distressed, but I am ...I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard for!!! I don't want the good things happening in my son's life to end...he...we have been through so much over the past years...we went through hurricanes while living in Naples Florida...from Hurricane Charlie, Wilma and the town shut down for Katrina...We have been through my ex shooting a shot gun at our house while we were sleeping...we have been through enough!!! We moved away from our home in Indiana to be safe from my ex...we left with just 3 suitcases on a Greyhound....moved to a small town called Challis Idaho, there was not any help for my son there, so we went to live with my mother in Florida...she has always been harmful to me but I believed she had changed, I believed that her going to church had taught her better ways to treat me....when I realized I was wrong, we sold everything again to move to Twin Falls Idaho...I had the chance to go to school....things had gone fairly well...not ideal...but well...then I got sick and I have fallen short on bill money....we have come to far to lose it all again....
I didn't realize that it  had copied so many times...in a hurry...going to the  'Day  Labor' and waiting to see if there is any work for me....

November 17, 2007, 11:26 am CST

Living on One Income

You'll be in my prayers, and please! check out my prior posts. Places like Freecycle, and Craig's list can be a Godsend. Also, YDF and hotcouponworld, The people on there have a wealth of info. and may be able to give you ideas or resources you haven't thought of. It's free and they really know their stuff when it comes to coupons, rebates etc. but what's more somebody may know of a place to help you with rent. I'm assuming you've contacted local churches? What about the Salvation Army?

November 30, 2007, 5:59 pm CST

...look at the glass half ful

Not half empty.

I did a web look up on government services in Idaho.  There is Medicaid, food stamps, help with rent, all you have to do is fill out the applications and bring your pay stubs.

The website is idaho.gov.  For a family of three the 100% FPG is $1431.  For 3 people you can get $426. 

December 11, 2007, 4:56 pm CST

What to do for Christmas?

I'm the only one who works.  Our bills just keep on piling up.  My husband has been disabled since 1994.  My kids haven't had a real Christmas in several years.  Five years ago I moved my mother in with us.  We live in a 3 bedroom house.  We made her a room out of our den.  I hope my kids have a Merry Christmas.  I'm not all that sure of that.  Maybe you Dr. Phil will help us.

December 18, 2007, 1:12 pm CST

I also need help for Christmas

I am embarrassed to even post this message, however, I am desperate.  I recently starting having health problems, which has caused me to become partially paralized in my right leg.  I use a walker and wheelchair if I go out to my doctors, otherwise I stay home because I have seizure like activity.  My whole body contours like an alien.  I stay in great pain.  I have applied for disability however it has yet to come through.  I have a son 15 yrs old that has bipolar,Aspengers, and many other learning disabitiies.  I have a pregnant 18 yr old daughter that just found out she may have cancer.  I have no one to help me.  My family have all gone to heaven and I miss them so much, especially at this time of the year.  I have been praying so hard for a true miracle and the only thing I can do is have faith.  So, I will continue to stand on that, even though keeping simple things in the refrigerator are a hard task right now.  If no one can help me, then will you at least pray for us. I know that God works. I also know that no matter what happens there is a reason and I will trust in that.  Thanks, for listening/reading this and I too pray every night for those worse off than we are.  Merry Christmas and God Bless.

Sandy IL.

December 22, 2007, 11:27 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: ladyshivia

Im a mother of two kids 8 year girl and 12 year old boy and a wonderful gift of a baby boy on the way thats a blessing. due this coming March. 

Im frustrated that there are NO jobs and i mean nooo jobs in Iowa where I live that will not hirer me due to there so called standards. Which im told more like Discrimination than anything. 

I get interviews and they say 'Oh I'd love to hirer you right now you have everything we are looking for and you could start right away .....but.. im sorry we just can't work around the school hours for your kids. we have set hours only.' What abunch of blank. I havent had a job in like can't really remember when,   a few years.  

A few years ago my hubby thought its be a good ideal to take a home cource in Medical Claims Billing and therefor I did and I passed and have my Diplomia. my finail grade was 96%. They (At-Home-Profession Located in Dever Co) told me i could work at home for a local company working on Medical Claims Billing if i have Internet. Well Dsl is not out in the country. not one Medical Claims Company will hirer me even though i have proof and training they closed there doors and beside no company is going to trust any person to work on medical claims at home. So we was burnt out of $3,000.00 for something that was faulty. ( i have dail up if lucky ) 

Back in the 98 I had paid $30. to get a listing of work at home companys. Well it came and it was just a book called The Complete Guide To Home Based Employment . all it was is a book with home jobs and only gave half the information and alot of P.O. box for the companys address. and if you was interested in one ya had to send a letter for additional information to get started and send a self address. or to get free informtion. I tryed one for beeded earring i made the five they wanted send it back and they got rejected cuz they didnt meet there SO called Standards.  

There's got to be Some kind of company  where I can work at home making some type of crafts and using the u p s for shipping (u p s passes my house everyday on the gravel road) 

Ive looked online for them and I also see that not one of them is Redistared with the BBB therefor every one is faulty. 

I have great anger building inside cuz i want to help my hubby with the bills and everything else. My hubby is stressed out due to working two Jobs. Even though he'll say otherwise. where now he has a Skin rash caused by stressed, (is what the doc said) His first job is sales and works from 7am until 5pm the comes home eats dinner quickly, Then poof  he's off  to his part time job at an auto store for another 4-5 hours at night. He says hes not burnt out but I can see he is. The part time job is maybe a few nights and mostly every weekend. 

He told my father that he would rather work two jobs instead of having me go to work. I think that is very loving and carring,  

Is there really a thing called Work at home jobs. ?  To make money or something? Or is that just a saying as in work at home mother who cleans the house and cooks. Yippy.  

Please Let me know I would really like to hear from others about this. 

Please be very careful with work at home opps.  When they say it's a "job" never pay anything to start.  A home business is totally different.

I can recommend a great place that may help you find a work at home job or business.  Wahm.com has a forum with tons of info for you.  Visit the telecommuting folder for wahm job leads.  There are also several folders on other wah companies.

Hope this helps,

Angela

February 2, 2008, 8:43 pm CST

a happy person

I am so happy hear in my home town. Dan and I are not to together any more and it is for the best.. he drink"s to bad for me. a friend Dianek1946

February 5, 2008, 10:03 am CST

what we can do

i like to think that one income  is what  will do it . So we  can  go back to raising our family's and  making the choices that are right in life  . i see  so many give aways on your show  and other shows i have a better way to help People and  make dreams come true  for as little or  less then the big stores  give you to  give away  we  need the  3 %OF people that have  millons  have it to look back and   pay it forward . what the  hell can any one  do with 6 million dollars geezer take one  of that and  help 50 people get up and out of there own way  if i had it  i know  what would make me  happy  is to  help 50  couples or family's  get  some of the things  they need out of  life  even if its to get out of $$$$ trouble t/y  bobby

February 7, 2008, 6:36 am CST

Living on One Income

Couponing, stockpiling, and rebating have made it possible for me to be at home with my kids. (i do work a sm. pt. job ,10hrs. a week) but I save so much more than what I make @ my job and am looking to be able to have a "stockpile yardsale" this spring. I'll be selling alot of the stuff I got for free or very cheap with coupons. Incld. shampoos, candles, toothpaste, razors, deodorant,  soap, toothbrushes, mouthwash,  hair-dye,

detergent, dish liquid, cleaning supplies,and tons of make-up. All brand-new.

And I'll still have plenty left over my family's use

March 16, 2008, 1:11 am CDT

Living on one income at least not no income..?

Quote From: jasknox

I am pretty confident that you would qualify for  the Medicaid Spenddown Program.  The spenddown may be very high, but if you have a catastrophic illness, then you would be protected from a financial disaster.  I would inquire specifically about this program. 

Yes even if you qualify for spenddown it will not currently help you. It is a big hassle.

I know I am in about the same boat. I am on rx and Medicare does not cover,Sometimes

my Doctors will give me samples. Which I appreciate greatly. Since Medicare does not

cover rx. The office calls are high and lab fees.

I do not go as often as I should and do not have as much done.

I do not have vision or dental.

I use to be so blessed with good insurance and a life of what I call

a princess (which through the abuse was easier at times)

I. Lost all that in the Divorce.

I see how hard it is for women to leave when they are

held down finacially. I know I am bettter now but it does

not seem that way.

That I fought hard and owe big for a lawyer. He had a better lawyer

and understood more of how to win and play dirty. He is a cold money

hungry stealer.Who left me destatute.

Money is a root of all evil.

It is easy for folks to not understand till they walk in our shoes.

No money and disabilities is a justly fear!

I went from a 350,000 home to a 1 bedroom apartment the size of my walk in bathroom

and walk in closet.Lol

It happened in a morning when I woke up and he cleaned out my accounts.

Dont be foolish enough to think this can never happen to you that read this

IT CAN!

I understand your pain and fear.

Life is not fair and there is no one out there that help the folks

with little above poverty. Especially a woman..

They say oh I wish I could help you and that is too sad or bad.

and go on without missing a beat.

What is this country so selfish and helping foreigners instead

of the hurting in USA.

It is hard enough to make it on car insurance,renters insurance,food,rent,utilities

It keeps going UP!

I am thankful but i also am worn out fighting to survive!

People at minimum wages work 1 hour for a tank of gas,1 hour for gallon milk,

1 hour for a baconater hamburger at Wendys.

Something is wrong with this picture!

Pray hard , Work hard,but remember the most..Play hard too

or you will become hard!

It is a tough time but remember this too we shall pass.

We will make it,Be creative and do not let your laughter

become silent. :)

dotty of oz1

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next | Last