Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 20, 2008, 11:10 am CDT

A non-traditional one-income family

My husband and I are happily child-free, yet we will voluntarily become a one-income family in April.  My husband is a musician and will be going to another city for 3 months to record an album.  He will not be getting paid for his work.  Hopefully it will lead to a record contract and tour (and even fame!) but until then we will be living on my income.

The good news is that for the past few years, we have been cutting our expenses, paying off debts, and not upgrading our lifestyle, so we are able to afford this one-income lifestyle (on paper anyway!)  However, things always come up, so I want to be prepared.  I will have to hold down all of the household bills and also send hubby money for gas, food and spending money (He will live rent-free with a family friend).

I joined this board for tips on one-income living, but I just wanted you to know that not all of us are parents!  Sometimes you have to think "outside the box". 

Thanks, looking forward to finding some good info here!

Cheryl

March 30, 2008, 6:19 pm CDT

Grateful for what I have

I wrote in my diary today how Im struggling thinking how Im going to feed my 3 children today.  Im a single parent so obviously we live with mums income.  Im on welfare.  I am grateful these days for what we have instead of focusing on what we dont have.  Having not enough food today is glaringly obvious though.  I have an appointment with welfare this afternoon to get a food grant.  Thank God we even have welfare here in New Zealand. 

On a day to day basis I keep being thankful for the blessings in mine and my childrens life.  Today I want to still be grateful, its just difficult for me right now.  Its all fear based.  Fear of children going hungry, myself, not being a good mother, I dont feel worthy the list goes on. 

What I see the best thing to do NOW is to keep my faith that things will be ok for today.  Theres always someone else far worse off than me, always. Im about to go see if we can get help now. I also believe the help comes when I help myself too. I have a gratitude list that I add to now and again and im happy to say Im up to 150 things to be grateful for.  And hopefull tonight I can add thankful for full cupboards.

April 15, 2008, 9:15 am CDT

So here's my question....

We are currently living on one income. I have been a stay at home mom most of my children's lives. I also have medical issues and working outside the home is very hard on me. The problem is, we're not LIVING on one income. We're barely surviving. I can't seem to stabilize myself enough to work and manage my home and my children are ABSOLUTELY against the idea of me working.  They have what they need but we struggle to get that for them. Which do you think is going to hurt them more in the long run, me working and not being able to spend time with them or them not having things they want? I should mention, they are 11,13,15. I've tried to find a job while they are in school but in my small town, there just aren't any, they are all evening or night shift. My family has always had family dinners. My children value that a lot and I'm scared that their stability will be uprooted if I'm not there for the family dinners anymore. I've been going through a nasty custody battle with my ex for 3 years, which is the cause of most of our financial issues (he's on a mission to destroy me financially to pay me back for divorcing him). He's caused so much trouble in their lives, they are screaming for things to get back to normal. Do you think it's going to hurt them if I have to go to work in the evenings?

April 17, 2008, 9:43 am CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: peterspumpkin

We are currently living on one income. I have been a stay at home mom most of my children's lives. I also have medical issues and working outside the home is very hard on me. The problem is, we're not LIVING on one income. We're barely surviving. I can't seem to stabilize myself enough to work and manage my home and my children are ABSOLUTELY against the idea of me working.  They have what they need but we struggle to get that for them. Which do you think is going to hurt them more in the long run, me working and not being able to spend time with them or them not having things they want? I should mention, they are 11,13,15. I've tried to find a job while they are in school but in my small town, there just aren't any, they are all evening or night shift. My family has always had family dinners. My children value that a lot and I'm scared that their stability will be uprooted if I'm not there for the family dinners anymore. I've been going through a nasty custody battle with my ex for 3 years, which is the cause of most of our financial issues (he's on a mission to destroy me financially to pay me back for divorcing him). He's caused so much trouble in their lives, they are screaming for things to get back to normal. Do you think it's going to hurt them if I have to go to work in the evenings?
Do you coupon? Check out hotcouponworld.com You'd be surprised what you can get for free or nearly free and where you can cut costs. Also, think out of the box. Maybe you could deliver papers. some of the "free papers" have a 2 day window to be delivered and pay pretty good. Also, check out merchandising. with a magazine distributer. You can pretty much set your own hours there as well. Good luck!

June 28, 2008, 8:20 pm CDT

all i can do is pray

things are so hard now a days i am a mother that work full time to feed my family. My husband takes good care of our child , the work he do is just not worth going for and we can afford a baby sitter. I am worried all the time about bills our one car we have hoping it don't break down! but i do try with the help of my husband to think positive and have hope the god would shed some light on us, so one day we could own a home and live comfortable. My husband and i would like to have more kids but it would be irresponsible
to have more when we can't afford it. So my daughter is the only child and will be for a long time or always will be. That my story not all but enough before i start feeling sorry for myself.

god bless us all  

August 29, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

OMG! What happend to us?

Hi all!  Here is my sorry.  We are currently living on one income and have since we returned from Okinawa.  We are a military family and that is not what it is cracked up to be.  We have one daughter and she is the love of our lives.  I would like to provide for her in the ways that our parents provided for us, but that seems so impossible these days.  I am having the hardest time in the world finding a job.  I have applied everywhere, and nothing is hiring.  I am a paramedic and working on transfering my cert over to this state, but that seems like it will never happen.  I have done everything the state has asked me to do, but nothing seems to work.  I cannot have any patient contact until I am certified in this state.  Also, we were a victum of fraud in June.  That makes the finances even harder to deal with.  We were "OK" for another 3-4 months until that happend.  That set us back about 2yrs of savings and more money to fix it.  I am at the end of my rope with all these money problems.  To make matters worse, my husband is in Iraq at the moment.  I am not sure of his return either.  It is a never ending problem week after week.  When will it end?  I know I cannot stay this way for my daughters sake.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  What is there left for me to do?  I am trying everything I know.  HELP Please!!!  Maybe someone out there can point me in a better direction than I am already going?

September 3, 2008, 6:43 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: figgieshane

Hi all!  Here is my sorry.  We are currently living on one income and have since we returned from Okinawa.  We are a military family and that is not what it is cracked up to be.  We have one daughter and she is the love of our lives.  I would like to provide for her in the ways that our parents provided for us, but that seems so impossible these days.  I am having the hardest time in the world finding a job.  I have applied everywhere, and nothing is hiring.  I am a paramedic and working on transfering my cert over to this state, but that seems like it will never happen.  I have done everything the state has asked me to do, but nothing seems to work.  I cannot have any patient contact until I am certified in this state.  Also, we were a victum of fraud in June.  That makes the finances even harder to deal with.  We were "OK" for another 3-4 months until that happend.  That set us back about 2yrs of savings and more money to fix it.  I am at the end of my rope with all these money problems.  To make matters worse, my husband is in Iraq at the moment.  I am not sure of his return either.  It is a never ending problem week after week.  When will it end?  I know I cannot stay this way for my daughters sake.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  What is there left for me to do?  I am trying everything I know.  HELP Please!!!  Maybe someone out there can point me in a better direction than I am already going?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,

check out hotcouponworld.com You will find all sorts of ways to save money and get health and beauty items free and if you have a commisary, you'll find that  you may even get overage. Coupons are for so much more than junk food. The site is free, you're welcome to lurk and check it out. There are alot of military families there and they'll be more than enthusiastic to help you learn the ropes.

Good luck, and God bless

September 11, 2008, 9:44 pm CDT

Another one income family

We also are a family of one income.  My husband and I have 4 children.  It seems we are living paycheck to paycheck.  It is getting worse with food prices going through the roof.  My husband is working so hard.  I know how to make some extra money put you need money to make money.  If we could just get some extra money I know I could start a at home business that will take off.  But I just don't know how to come up with the money... 

September 15, 2008, 4:47 am CDT

It's not that bad if you are creative

Ok, start by visiting websites that are free or are even looking for "wanteds". Get the free stuff and sell it on either craigslist or some other website. It's fun! You can also barter with people. I just got a brand new salton soy milk maker (to save money!) for my daughter who is a vegetarian.  Someone just gave me a desk worth about $500 wish I could keep it, but am selling it on craigslist for $300.00 and people are interested! Ipicked up a beautiful chandeleir last night. You have to JUMP on this stuff, but if you're not working what else are you doing? Look on trash day before the trucks come (night before is good) and pull stuff off people curbs. Sign up for freecycle.org. You will never have to buyanything (except maybe food) again! I have been doing this since we got out of a shelter and I have been able to "survive"! I know it sounds insane, but with what my child needs for her diet etc. food stamps doesn't do it! Have fun & try it!

September 15, 2008, 5:45 am CDT

Living on one income

Quote From: shan9576

We also are a family of one income.  My husband and I have 4 children.  It seems we are living paycheck to paycheck.  It is getting worse with food prices going through the roof.  My husband is working so hard.  I know how to make some extra money put you need money to make money.  If we could just get some extra money I know I could start a at home business that will take off.  But I just don't know how to come up with the money... 

Please read my reply about this. YOU CAN DO IT! Especially if you have a truck (I don't) I drag everything including 6 foot long table and chairs into my car with bungie cords and rope, It doesn't matter what I find on the street if I can haul it it's going to get sold! You can make money this way. Craigslist if free to advertise on GO FOR IT!  Plus it's fun, AND you're recycling!

First | Prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next | Last