Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2008, 5:51 am CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: helen264

I wrote in my diary today how Im struggling thinking how Im going to feed my 3 children today.  Im a single parent so obviously we live with mums income.  Im on welfare.  I am grateful these days for what we have instead of focusing on what we dont have.  Having not enough food today is glaringly obvious though.  I have an appointment with welfare this afternoon to get a food grant.  Thank God we even have welfare here in New Zealand. 

On a day to day basis I keep being thankful for the blessings in mine and my childrens life.  Today I want to still be grateful, its just difficult for me right now.  Its all fear based.  Fear of children going hungry, myself, not being a good mother, I dont feel worthy the list goes on. 

What I see the best thing to do NOW is to keep my faith that things will be ok for today.  Theres always someone else far worse off than me, always. Im about to go see if we can get help now. I also believe the help comes when I help myself too. I have a gratitude list that I add to now and again and im happy to say Im up to 150 things to be grateful for.  And hopefull tonight I can add thankful for full cupboards.

They have a freecycle.org in New
Buller District
Christchurch
Dunedin
Feilding
Gisborne
Gore
Hamilton
Hastings
Invercargill
Kaipara
Kapiti Coast
Kerikeri
Manurewa
Masterton
Nelson
New Plymouth
Rotorua
Taupo
Tauranga
Thames (Thames/Coromandel/Hauraki Plains)
Timaru
Waiheke Island
Wellington
Find a group
e.g. Tucson, Arizona
 Results per page: 10 25 50
Zealand here's the link get stuff for free and sell it!

September 15, 2008, 8:27 am CDT

The One Income Challenge

I get very frustrated when I watch the show and there is a couple whining and complaining about how bad they have it  when they are living in a 700 thousand dollar house, driving new expensive cars and wearing designer clothes. Please get real! That is not how it is for most Americans. You are not Donald Trump, if you don't have the bucks you can't live like you do! My husband and I have been married for twenty-three years and for most of that time I have been a stay at home mom. It has not always been easy but we felt that it was important that I be at home with our children. Due to the public schools not being very good in the area that we lived I home schooled our boys. During that time I supplemented our income by keeping children in our home and by tutoring elementary children in the afternoon. When our oldest son was in the eighth grade and our youngest in the fourth we moved to our current location in order for my husband to go back to school. This being a small country town the schools were much better so off to school my sons went. Both sons now in school and my husband a full-time student, I looked for work. I didn't have much luck. I was told it had been to long since I had worked a Real job. They didn't believe that  being a household finance manager (on a very limited budget), a cook, a maid, a chauffeur, a secretary, a nurse or a teacher was sufficient  experience to answer their phone. So I had to do something else, I went to the local library and checked out every book they had on antiques and collectibles. I started going to auctions and yard sales looking for my treasures. You would be surprised what you can find. I bought, cleaned up and resold on E-Bay. What didn't sell on E-bay I took to auction. This has really helped us out  for the last few years. My husband finished his education and now teaches 7th grade math. Teachers do not make very much so sorry to say our income is still low. My E-bay business is also very slow right now due to the economy people aren't buying to many extras. I am once again looking for work. With one son in college (thankfully he received a full scholarship) and one in high school we really need some extra income. Some other things that I have done through the years that has really helped are buying most of our clothes and many other items at yard sales, thrift stores and auctions. We watch what we buy at the store and try to never pay full retail for anything. My husband drives a Ford Focus and I drive a paid for 167,000mi Chevy. As of present we do not own a home, we rent a three bedroom, one bath brick house for 500.00 a month ( we were blessed to find at that price). My college age son moved into an apartment this year. We completely furnished it by going to yard sales and auctions, and believe me its not furnished with junk. We are your average American family just trying to make ends meet, times may be tough but we are happy! I truly believe that its not what you have but what you do with it that matters! I know that there are two types of people in this world- givers and takers. Takers may sometimes eat better but givers always sleep better. I want to be remembered as a giver!

September 16, 2008, 8:30 am CDT

Great Idea

Quote From: faeryedark

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,

check out hotcouponworld.com You will find all sorts of ways to save money and get health and beauty items free and if you have a commisary, you'll find that  you may even get overage. Coupons are for so much more than junk food. The site is free, you're welcome to lurk and check it out. There are alot of military families there and they'll be more than enthusiastic to help you learn the ropes.

Good luck, and God bless

I have been doing that and it's great. Just be careful you get the coupons with the "bars" on them or the stores may not take them. I have had great luck. I just got a $5.00 coupon for the automatic shower cleaner (off the scrubbing bubbles website), checked the store, and it's only $3.98 in the store, wonder if I will get any money back?! Make sure you go directly to the websites themselves also they always want your business you just have to buy before they expire, but there are usually coupons for EVERYTHING you could want. Just takes time.  So, give it a go! Good Luck everyone!!!!

September 16, 2008, 8:35 am CDT

That's sounds like me!

Quote From: mysteryfinder

I get very frustrated when I watch the show and there is a couple whining and complaining about how bad they have it  when they are living in a 700 thousand dollar house, driving new expensive cars and wearing designer clothes. Please get real! That is not how it is for most Americans. You are not Donald Trump, if you don't have the bucks you can't live like you do! My husband and I have been married for twenty-three years and for most of that time I have been a stay at home mom. It has not always been easy but we felt that it was important that I be at home with our children. Due to the public schools not being very good in the area that we lived I home schooled our boys. During that time I supplemented our income by keeping children in our home and by tutoring elementary children in the afternoon. When our oldest son was in the eighth grade and our youngest in the fourth we moved to our current location in order for my husband to go back to school. This being a small country town the schools were much better so off to school my sons went. Both sons now in school and my husband a full-time student, I looked for work. I didn't have much luck. I was told it had been to long since I had worked a Real job. They didn't believe that  being a household finance manager (on a very limited budget), a cook, a maid, a chauffeur, a secretary, a nurse or a teacher was sufficient  experience to answer their phone. So I had to do something else, I went to the local library and checked out every book they had on antiques and collectibles. I started going to auctions and yard sales looking for my treasures. You would be surprised what you can find. I bought, cleaned up and resold on E-Bay. What didn't sell on E-bay I took to auction. This has really helped us out  for the last few years. My husband finished his education and now teaches 7th grade math. Teachers do not make very much so sorry to say our income is still low. My E-bay business is also very slow right now due to the economy people aren't buying to many extras. I am once again looking for work. With one son in college (thankfully he received a full scholarship) and one in high school we really need some extra income. Some other things that I have done through the years that has really helped are buying most of our clothes and many other items at yard sales, thrift stores and auctions. We watch what we buy at the store and try to never pay full retail for anything. My husband drives a Ford Focus and I drive a paid for 167,000mi Chevy. As of present we do not own a home, we rent a three bedroom, one bath brick house for 500.00 a month ( we were blessed to find at that price). My college age son moved into an apartment this year. We completely furnished it by going to yard sales and auctions, and believe me its not furnished with junk. We are your average American family just trying to make ends meet, times may be tough but we are happy! I truly believe that its not what you have but what you do with it that matters! I know that there are two types of people in this world- givers and takers. Takers may sometimes eat better but givers always sleep better. I want to be remembered as a giver!

You're story sounds eerily similar to my own! Are you sure we aren't related? You go girl, keep it up! Stay the course and you will be better for it. I don't think that the people that have the most appreciate it either.

A little poverty is good for the soul.  JG

September 16, 2008, 8:42 am CDT

Take ACTION

Quote From: liyahjustin

things are so hard now a days i am a mother that work full time to feed my family. My husband takes good care of our child , the work he do is just not worth going for and we can afford a baby sitter. I am worried all the time about bills our one car we have hoping it don't break down! but i do try with the help of my husband to think positive and have hope the god would shed some light on us, so one day we could own a home and live comfortable. My husband and i would like to have more kids but it would be irresponsible
to have more when we can't afford it. So my daughter is the only child and will be for a long time or always will be. That my story not all but enough before i start feeling sorry for myself.

god bless us all  

Look, you can pray all you want tto, that is not going to do it! Get out there and make something happen. I have been a single Mom with a sick child for the last 9 years. I have scrubbed toilets, cleaned people's closets and found other sources to get food on my table and I put a kid through college at the same time!  She now makes more money than I ever did! You need to stop "feeling" and start "doing". Take one step, it will lead you to the next, even if they are just baby steps. Sign up for the food pantry and fuel assistance, go to the library and do some homework, take your kids with you and make them read a book, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!Good Luck!

September 16, 2008, 3:26 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: joangluza

I have been doing that and it's great. Just be careful you get the coupons with the "bars" on them or the stores may not take them. I have had great luck. I just got a $5.00 coupon for the automatic shower cleaner (off the scrubbing bubbles website), checked the store, and it's only $3.98 in the store, wonder if I will get any money back?! Make sure you go directly to the websites themselves also they always want your business you just have to buy before they expire, but there are usually coupons for EVERYTHING you could want. Just takes time.  So, give it a go! Good Luck everyone!!!!
You can usually check w/ verify.com if it's printable to make sure that it's agood coupon. hotcouponworld.com lists nearly every deal imaginable and has a huge coupon database. I love the fact that they are very above board and will not tolerate discussion of anything fraudulent, so you're pretty safe with the coupons that are available there...because they're mod certified. I've been making out pretty good with rolling the Glade catalinas this month. Nearly every store has them

September 16, 2008, 6:10 pm CDT

Living above my means.......

I think that yes we do get ahead of ourselfs but the pros always say get rid of that car or that house but how ?I can't sell my car it's so upside down I will never get right.  No  company can help I can't undo what I've done so why does It always sound like it's a walk in the park when their giving advise to someone who is trying to hold it together.  You tell me...........How??????

September 24, 2008, 3:20 pm CDT

Most don,t have a clue

Quote From: joangluza

Look, you can pray all you want tto, that is not going to do it! Get out there and make something happen. I have been a single Mom with a sick child for the last 9 years. I have scrubbed toilets, cleaned people's closets and found other sources to get food on my table and I put a kid through college at the same time!  She now makes more money than I ever did! You need to stop "feeling" and start "doing". Take one step, it will lead you to the next, even if they are just baby steps. Sign up for the food pantry and fuel assistance, go to the library and do some homework, take your kids with you and make them read a book, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!Good Luck!

I totally agree with you. I have never even lived close to the lifestyle that some of these people do. I,ve pinched pennies all my life. Yes, I married way too young and didn,t finish school, but I got my GED, went to work, then nursing school with four kids under ten. I worked part time, went to school 5 days a week and still did everything at home without my husbands help, who by the way, is my ex husband today. I,ve never had alot of money, having 4 kids to raise, but I,ve also never known what its like making $100,000 a year and living in a huge house with huge bills either. I,m a widow now and my kids are grown and gone. I,m retired and live on a little over a $1000 a month. With everything going up, I barely survive, so I wouldn,t know how to act living in a $700,000 house. I find it hard to feel sorry for these people who have basically lived on credit cards most of their lives and now wonder why their in trouble. I,ve seen this coming for years. In fact, its happening in my own family. My sister lives in Calif., has always made good wages, but they have always used credit cards for everything. Now she,s 64, in bad health and paying almost what I make a month just trying to pay them off. I figure she will be a very old lady before that happens. I think I,ll keep my $1000 monthly check and my old 94 van.

November 17, 2008, 6:23 am CST

A lodger?

I'm single, it is a financial struggle.  I love my flat but wonder whether taking in a lodger would help financially? But, how would I feel with a 'stranger' in my space and to share my space with? 

December 3, 2008, 3:20 pm CST

Living with one income AND MS!

Hello all,

I'm new here, but have been watching the show since it started, actually first saw Dr. P on Oprah way back when.. Anyway, I am the live-in and sole caregiver of a wonderful woman who I had planned to marry some time ago, but she has Multiple Sclerosis and has a time with everyday chores. If we were to get married, the government would probably take her disability benefits away. Since I have a bad back from an accident many years ago, I cannot hold down employment anymore. I also tried to get disability while I was still working, but could not get a doctor who would declare me disabled, and as far as I know there is no "plan" for people like me who can't work. Even if I could, it wouldn't be very feasible, as she needs someone there all the time. When I was working, she would fall down and hurt herself while I was out of town and such, and it worried me to death. I finally HAD to quit work because of that, and because my back was giving me all kinds of problems. Rather than try and help out a 3 year employee, they started to scrutinize every move I made to the point that I couldn't do the job anymore. They all thought I was just making it up or something, and any mistake I made was grounds for dismissal. My nerves had gotten to the point where I just couldn't do it anymore, so I left.

Now, we did get a little help from her brother, who passed away (unfortunately early) and left her an old car and a little money. That was used to purchase a mobile home, and we've been here for a few months now. Just the other day though, the water heater sprung a leak and was soaking the back of the trailer. We had no choice but to call a plumber to fix it to the tune of about $250. That's a large chunk out of the less that $1200 she receives each month. We get food stamps too, but only $25/mo. I'm amazed that in this day and time there aren't more resources for people who are unfortunate like us, but didn't do anything to end up like this on purpose! We just want to find some more help, as we will barely eat this month now due to the big plumbing bill. If anyone out there knows of something we can do to get some help, PLEASE let us know. Neither of us can do much in the way of work anymore, and it's all I can do to keep helping her out every day, which IS my job now.

Thanks for reading if you read this far, and we are hoping that someone knows where to find some resources or find more help in this situation.

Later.

First | Prev | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next | Last