Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 18, 2006, 12:54 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: armywife_1

My husband and I are going on 4 years of marriage. In the beginning we both worked, after a year of marriage he decided to rejoin the army. He has been back in for 2 years now and I have haven't worked since he came back in. It is hard to adjust to living on one income. And now I have gone back to school so it has made things a bit more difficult. He is one those guys who has no clue on how much he really spends each month, so I had to put him on a budget. He didn't realize that he was spending close to three hundred dollars a month.
Your husband only spends $300 a month? Want to trade?? Just kidding, mine is very fun, but he spends money like water. His allowance per month is more than our house payment and electric bill combined- and 1/2 of the fuel bill!

January 20, 2006, 2:54 pm CST

Still needing help on the baraces

Quote From: DrPhilBoard2

I did a little searching around because I remember Dr. Phil did a show that mentioned a program that helped with dental issues. However, upon further research, I realized the organization was for people who have suffered from domestic violence. The program is called, "Give Back A Smile." (http://www.aacd.com/givebackasmile/ ) It might be possible that they could recommend another group to help you in your situation.  

Also listed on a Dr. Phil show was Invisalign (http://www.invisalign.com/). This show pertained to a young lady that regretted not getting braces as a child. (http://drphil.com/shows/show/66/) In this particular case, Invisalign offered to help the young lady correct her smile.  

Maybe one of these organizations can give you information on where or how you can go about getting your daughter braces to improve her breathing.  

I hope this helps. 

Thank you for the information on this company's. I did some research on the two that you gave me and  neither on was able to help me out with this. So I am still where I was and we had them put on and I am having to pay for them out of my pocket. It is a shame that our state does not have a program to help out with braces under this condition. They will do regular dental work but not braces,they look at it as being cosmetic and I have looked at dental Ins. and it is almost as high as the monthly payment for the braces, so it is a no win situation. But again thanks for the help.

January 22, 2006, 1:52 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: queentween

Your husband only spends $300 a month? Want to trade?? Just kidding, mine is very fun, but he spends money like water. His allowance per month is more than our house payment and electric bill combined- and 1/2 of the fuel bill!

Curious,  was your 'advice' intended to make this person feel better about her husbands spending, (in your eyes not alot compared to your husband), or did you need to get that out  for your own satisfaction?      

As you have stated in sooooooooo many of your posts that you work hard, etc and have the money, I have a large company of my own (import/export)  so hence I have the means to live a comfortable life thanks to brains, hard work and a hell of alot of luck,  but how is telling someone who is seeking advice on 'living on one income' going to benefit by me telling them how 'great life is for me' in monetary sense... 

I think that sort of behaviour is insensitive and so uncalled for 

January 23, 2006, 5:10 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: ladyshivia

Im a mother of two kids 8 year girl and 12 year old boy and a wonderful gift of a baby boy on the way thats a blessing. due this coming March. 

Im frustrated that there are NO jobs and i mean nooo jobs in Iowa where I live that will not hirer me due to there so called standards. Which im told more like Discrimination than anything. 

I get interviews and they say 'Oh I'd love to hirer you right now you have everything we are looking for and you could start right away .....but.. im sorry we just can't work around the school hours for your kids. we have set hours only.' What abunch of blank. I havent had a job in like can't really remember when,   a few years.  

A few years ago my hubby thought its be a good ideal to take a home cource in Medical Claims Billing and therefor I did and I passed and have my Diplomia. my finail grade was 96%. They (At-Home-Profession Located in Dever Co) told me i could work at home for a local company working on Medical Claims Billing if i have Internet. Well Dsl is not out in the country. not one Medical Claims Company will hirer me even though i have proof and training they closed there doors and beside no company is going to trust any person to work on medical claims at home. So we was burnt out of $3,000.00 for something that was faulty. ( i have dail up if lucky ) 

Back in the 98 I had paid $30. to get a listing of work at home companys. Well it came and it was just a book called The Complete Guide To Home Based Employment . all it was is a book with home jobs and only gave half the information and alot of P.O. box for the companys address. and if you was interested in one ya had to send a letter for additional information to get started and send a self address. or to get free informtion. I tryed one for beeded earring i made the five they wanted send it back and they got rejected cuz they didnt meet there SO called Standards.  

There's got to be Some kind of company  where I can work at home making some type of crafts and using the u p s for shipping (u p s passes my house everyday on the gravel road) 

Ive looked online for them and I also see that not one of them is Redistared with the BBB therefor every one is faulty. 

I have great anger building inside cuz i want to help my hubby with the bills and everything else. My hubby is stressed out due to working two Jobs. Even though he'll say otherwise. where now he has a Skin rash caused by stressed, (is what the doc said) His first job is sales and works from 7am until 5pm the comes home eats dinner quickly, Then poof  he's off  to his part time job at an auto store for another 4-5 hours at night. He says hes not burnt out but I can see he is. The part time job is maybe a few nights and mostly every weekend. 

He told my father that he would rather work two jobs instead of having me go to work. I think that is very loving and carring,  

Is there really a thing called Work at home jobs. ?  To make money or something? Or is that just a saying as in work at home mother who cleans the house and cooks. Yippy.  

Please Let me know I would really like to hear from others about this. 

Try visiting www.wahm.com  .  It's a website for work-at-home/stay-at-home parents.  I'm still looking, but the info on the site so far has been great. 

Good luck! 

January 25, 2006, 10:17 am CST

Navy Mom Needs Your Prayers!

God Bless Everyone! I need your help and prayers. I am a navy mom of one newborn. My husband is currently serving his 5th year in the navy and I am a stay at home mom. I want to go to work but I have no job skills. I would love to go to college as my dream is to help others, I want to be a nurse. With one income and our debts I can not afford college tuition and we only have one car so i have a problem with transportation, then comes childcare, which on one income we cant afford that either. I thought about this long and hard and I feel helpless. I have lost direction and I am sad that I cant do anything with my life. I pray for a miracle to help our family. Please pray for us!  

Sherie
dabearsfan1972@yahoo.com  

January 25, 2006, 1:33 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: arthur2005

God Bless Everyone! I need your help and prayers. I am a navy mom of one newborn. My husband is currently serving his 5th year in the navy and I am a stay at home mom. I want to go to work but I have no job skills. I would love to go to college as my dream is to help others, I want to be a nurse. With one income and our debts I can not afford college tuition and we only have one car so i have a problem with transportation, then comes childcare, which on one income we cant afford that either. I thought about this long and hard and I feel helpless. I have lost direction and I am sad that I cant do anything with my life. I pray for a miracle to help our family. Please pray for us!  

Sherie
dabearsfan1972@yahoo.com  

Have you thought about babysitting in your home. This is one way of helping another mom and making income. you can save this money and maybe in a year or so, go back to school. There are also online classes, so many people are going this route and doing well. Take it one step at a time with your child as top priority. Enjoy your time with your child, they grow uo so quickly.......

February 1, 2006, 2:52 pm CST

I can help you if you'd like to contact me

Quote From: segb72

Try visiting www.wahm.com  .  It's a website for work-at-home/stay-at-home parents.  I'm still looking, but the info on the site so far has been great. 

Good luck! 

I can tell you are so frustrated and I'm so sorry to read all that y'all have and are going through.  The website given has some things, but there is so much "junk" out there and scams.  If you'd like to get intouch with me, I can give you personal experience and information that you can ponder over before making your decision. 

Feel free to email me:  healthyfam@iglide.net 

Take care 

Jenn 

February 3, 2006, 11:22 am CST

can be done

Everything comes down to a matter of priority.  For us (my husband and I), our priority is our children.    When we first got married we decided that I would stay home with our children when we had them.  We saved one of our incomes when we didn't have children so we got used to living on one income.  When our first two children came along (about 2 years apart) I was still in school and then graduated. I have a degree in Elementary Education and my husband is just finishing his Masters program.  We live a modest life with our 5 children.   No, our children do not have fancy clothes, nor even name brand most of the time.  They do wear hand me downs and they know that some things they either have to earn or they just don't get.  Video games are out and television is kept at a low, instead we have a big back yard they can explore and a lot of good books to read.   

They don't have a sense of entitlement and they are generally each others best friends.  I don't even come close to wearing the latest fashions and our 1,000 square foot home doesn't look like it came out of a decor magazine.  We drive 2 cars one is a 1988 chevy and then a 2000 Chrysler van.  We owe some on our van and our house payment.  That's it. We avoid debt and believe that we should, if at all possible, save up for something we want.  Still, we have enough for our needs, not necessarily wants, but needs.  We don't take vacations where we have to pay for hotels and we do a lot of camping (even if it is in our own back yard sometimes).  We are all fed and clothed and most of all we love each other.  We do a lot of family activities (mostly free or minimal cost).  We play games with each other, have movie nights in house and a lot of wrestling matches. 

As for a question I was wondering, since there are no sites on organization, how can I better organize our home and accomodate everyone.  Remember there are 7 people and 1,000 square feet.  I have put under beds, dejunked, dejunked and then dejunked some more.  I have even used those space saver bags where you can vacuum out the air and store things.  No, moving up isn't an option at this point.   Money management isn't the problem, just space.  Any ideas? 

February 8, 2006, 3:10 am CST

Here's me

Hi everyone!
Before I post my point of view, I think it's important to say that I live in Portugal (Europe), and from the posts that I've read here our reality is not very diferent in the main points, altough we live in diferent continents.

Here's my case:  I´m 26 years old. In 2004 I've finished my college degree, and at that time I thought I was very lucky to find so quickly a small company that wanted me as an intern. Okay, it wasn't my dream job, but the salary wasn´t too bad, and I could use the knowledge that I've reunited after years in college.
 I was wrong! After all it was not luck, but bad luck! Believe me: it was hell! In May 2005 I was at home with a nervous breakdown, taking medication that I hated because it maked me feel like a sleepy zombie.

A few months later I've reunited all my strenght and stop taking the medication, altought my doctor believed in the opposite. But I didn´t care.
Today I feel ok, I consider myself an happy person, but I still don´t have the courage to start working again.

The most important is that I feel blessed to have a boyfriend that supports me in everyway. Our family is also very loving, although my parents would be less concerned with me if I had a career. Because we don´t have children yet, his income is enough for us to have our own two bedroom flat, a car and to pay all expenses and to have little luxuries like going to the gym.
The main reason we manage to have some luxuries is that like many of you we try to save some cents whenever we can. From waiting for the sales season to buy something to wear, to searching promotional products. (In Portugal there's no coupons or yard sales).

In my case it's possible to live on one's income, if both want to and that means to establish a good plan of how the money is spent, what are the priorities in the couple's life. There´s decisions to be made like having only one car means that you'll have an extra money to spent on something important for both's wellbeing, either is gym or something else.

But I have a message to all the housewives: don't feel bad with yourselves for being at home. They bring the paycheck, but there's retribution: my boyfriend suports me whatever I do, but we've found harmony this way. I retribute him by cleaning our home, cooking healthy, tasty home made food and most important, to have a big smile and lots of hugs waiting for him when he arrives from work. And there's no money in the world and no career that pays the peace we have!

February 8, 2006, 3:30 am CST

You are so right!!

Quote From: sbruin98

My problem is that my husband and I are both successful in our fields and I NEVER thought that I would want to be a stay at home mom EVER.  However, after having the second in 2 years, I am really struggling with guilt at not being at home, the stress level of juggling a high-stress job that is commission only with managing the house.  And while my husband is GREAT, we have very little time together because EVERY weekend is spent doing chores that cannot be done during the week nights.   My husband just received a large raise that would more than keep us comfortable on 1 income, but where I was excited because I thought it would make the decision easier for me to stay at home, he sees it as a great opportunity to make more money.  We have no debts other than our house, and we have plenty of savings, so it is not as if we would suffer a lifestyle change going to one income, I am just worried that he won't support the decision and wonder where this new attitude has come from (since he married a work-aholic). 

Any advice on how to word my desire to stay at home without it sounding like I want to take the "easy-way-out" ? (I am thinking from a male perspective there) 

Thanks!  (sorry for such a long rant - this is my first post) 

Corrie 

I feel for you!!!  Being a Mom is the most satisfying career for me!!!  By the way...there is nothing "easy" about the decision to stay home and not all days are easy.  But  work will always be there, your children won't...believe me.  Although I had a successful business, when the children came, I gave that up to raise and train our children.  We have a 14 and 16 year old and I wouldn't have traded one day with them for all the money in the world.  Both of our children are strong, stable, young people.  We get compliments everywhere on how well adjusted our kids are and how sweet they are.  My relationship is so strong with each of them...I count that as the biggest pay-off ever.    Perhaps your husband would look at your decision to stay home as an investment into yours and his future.   One thing about it...no one will care or love your children more than you.  I did not want to ever have regrets as far as our children.  

Don't give up on your dream to raise your kids....it is so worth it!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last