Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 8, 2006, 4:13 am CST

A MESSAGE FOR ALL OF YOU

I came to a conclusion after reading many of the posts in this topic: Many of you that, like me, are at home are looking for a way to make an economic contribution!

And the reasons are many: some of you need the extra money to balance the family budget, some of you have dreams and hopes for the future and need that extra money to achieve your golds. The most of us that stay at home also have the need to contribute in a more active way, because we may not like this concept but money will always be an important issue.  Right? I think so!

I'm no Dr. Phil, no sir,  but in his words - "Knowledge is Power!" - I THINK I CAN HELP SOME OF YOU! I REALLY DO!

At this point you may think , (I would certainly do), who am I and what am I talking about.

So here are the answers:

1 - Who am I? My name is Ana. I'm from Portugal. I'm 26 years old. Most important  now is that I have a college degree on Marketing and Advertisement, and field experience on this subjects before I became a stay home person.

2 - Why do I want to help?  Just because I want to feel useful and helpful. Having the kowledge is only worth if you share it.

3 - How? The first thing that I've learned in college is still one of the most important. It's basically the definition of Marketing - in resume we could say " find a consumers need and respond to it".
I believe  that everyone has a talent to do something, and that something could be a path to sucess, economical and emotional.
But most people don´t know how to apply that  talent, and that's when you would need some expertise in management, marketing and so on. But the experts don´t care about a stay at home mom that wants to earn some extra dollars. But I do.

The only thing that I can give, if you take it (it's free so why not? ) is my e-mail adress and then some advice and ideas to make your home made business, (I used to work in a enterprise that helped people to open their own small businesses).  Adding your talent to some marketing and management knowledge, I believe you'll do fine.

Want to try?

anamariachagas@hotmail.com

February 8, 2006, 5:25 am CST

Some ideas to earn extra money

First of all - what's your "talent"?!

- Are you great with the needle? For example do you own a sawing machine? So why don´t your sell your services to your comunity? Make some flyers with your prices and adress, and your neighbours could deliver their jackets, skirts or others at your home to fix.

- People congratulates you for your tasty cookies? That could be a way to earn extra dollars.

- What about a home laundry service? If you don't mind washing and iron other peoples clothes, this is a suggestion for working at home.

- You're an efficient machine at house chores? Invest on cleanning products and some appliances and sell your services to offices, private homes... And with a partner to help you that would be perfect.

- You're the greatest at fixing things around the house? Maybe your neighbours would need your help.

- For example, you do lovely paintings as an hobby, why don't you show some samples of your work to some stores?

There's lots of ideas, but this just a resume. Starting a business, even a home made business, takes some planning and strategy, that's why I ofered my help with that!

take care.

February 8, 2006, 8:02 am CST

Not the life I ordered!

I never thought when I married at 17 that I would be alone at 51. All the time I wish I would have had at home with my family when my son and daughter where growing up I have now.  Yes it took to income's when you barely made over minimum wage, I worked nights as a bartender and my husband worked day's as a Laborer so we would not have to pay a babysitter all of one paycheck. I was married in 72' had a son few months later and almost 5 years later a daughter. Now they are grown and doing their thing, husband passed away in  97' of  a massive heart attache and now I am here alone on disability just barely getting by. So for all of you women out there trying your best to do a man's job  think twice and next time you think you have it so bad, well  think what it would be like with out him/her!!! Like I said Not the life I did not order! 

BB from Texas 

February 8, 2006, 9:23 am CST

small bucks

Quote From: bstef_tx

I never thought when I married at 17 that I would be alone at 51. All the time I wish I would have had at home with my family when my son and daughter where growing up I have now.  Yes it took to income's when you barely made over minimum wage, I worked nights as a bartender and my husband worked day's as a Laborer so we would not have to pay a babysitter all of one paycheck. I was married in 72' had a son few months later and almost 5 years later a daughter. Now they are grown and doing their thing, husband passed away in  97' of  a massive heart attache and now I am here alone on disability just barely getting by. So for all of you women out there trying your best to do a man's job  think twice and next time you think you have it so bad, well  think what it would be like with out him/her!!! Like I said Not the life I did not order! 

BB from Texas 

Living on one income is a game of balance. I was married for 12 years, and when I told my husband to leave, I went from 52 thousand a year to half of that. And I  had two small children with me. I've had to say 'no' alot to my kids, but they received more during my years of separation , than they would've had I stayed with their dad. Sometimes bills aren't paid on time because you need to put food on the table. Luxuries must wait and sometimes don't come at all. Now , 10 years later my two teens each have a small job, so that leaves more $ in my pocket. And with small wage increases during the years, it makes it a little less heavy, but I still have to watch where my money goes.I'm happy with the way that I've managed my money. I'm in good standing with my financial institution and all bills are paid on time and we have enough to eat;with a little left over once in a while to go out and treat ourselves. For my ex-husband, he's sharing living expenses with someone else as  he has always done since I left him and he's recently had to file personal bancrupcy!. Go figure.

February 8, 2006, 9:34 am CST

One Tip

.99 Store.

You'd be amazed at what you can find from excellent produce to cleaning supplies to holiday stuff.

It keeps us going and we live a very nice lifestyle.  We scrimp where we can, so that we can splurge where we want to.

February 8, 2006, 9:52 am CST

Single Mother of three...

Quote From: dnmoffett

I feel for you!!!  Being a Mom is the most satisfying career for me!!!  By the way...there is nothing "easy" about the decision to stay home and not all days are easy.  But  work will always be there, your children won't...believe me.  Although I had a successful business, when the children came, I gave that up to raise and train our children.  We have a 14 and 16 year old and I wouldn't have traded one day with them for all the money in the world.  Both of our children are strong, stable, young people.  We get compliments everywhere on how well adjusted our kids are and how sweet they are.  My relationship is so strong with each of them...I count that as the biggest pay-off ever.    Perhaps your husband would look at your decision to stay home as an investment into yours and his future.   One thing about it...no one will care or love your children more than you.  I did not want to ever have regrets as far as our children.  

Don't give up on your dream to raise your kids....it is so worth it!!!!!! 

You can do it.....here's website that has helped me a great deal.... 

Flylady.net   (great time management for home and family).  It has truly changed my life. 

Good luck..Donna 

February 8, 2006, 10:46 am CST

Keep the wife's spending habits in check

Living on one income can be possible if the husband is in complete control the family finances and the wife has no credit cards.

February 8, 2006, 10:57 am CST

living on one income

Quote From: jim1970

Living on one income can be possible if the husband is in complete control the family finances and the wife has no credit cards.
can be done.  My husband and I have been doing this since 1998.  Our daughter was very young and he in his civilian job is an over the road truck driver.  We believed that one of us needed to be available for our daughter at all times. OH and I hold the credit cards with the higher spending limits. I make most of the financial decisions in our household. My husband doesn't have the time to do that. Just because we have the credit cards does not mean that we use them.  They are for emergencies only -- car repairs etc... not for everyday clothing, gas and food purchases. If you are smart about it, you can get along on one income.   Its called living within your means. When we both worked it kicked us into a higher tax bracket so we weren't any better off.

February 8, 2006, 11:51 am CST

money problems

I know Dr Phil likes to say that money problems have nothing to do with money, and you cannot solve money issues with money, and while there is a grain of truth in that statement,  he never touches on people who live on disability.  I am legally blind, and I draw disability, even though I really am trying my best to get off disability.  I am basically living "bare bones" and it is still hard to get by.  Thank the Good Lord I do not have any kids or a wife, because things would be even worse--if that is possible.  I would like for Dr Phil to focus on the struggles of those who are disabled--like me--for one show.  After all, I really am trying to be a productive citizen.  Hopefully he will plug my book so I can be a taxpayer once again.  Well, anyway...I hope most agree with me.  Thank you

February 8, 2006, 12:13 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: jim1970

I could not believe what I just read.How sexist is that?We have credit cards and even though my husband handles the fiances he is the one who is always maxing them out instead of paying for things other ways.I am the one who has to take charge of the credit cards.I do not go shopping using credit cards. If I don't have the money to buy it I don't get it.Not all women have problems being able to control their shopping.That is a stereotype.Trust me men can cause just as many financial problems all on their own.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last