Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 8, 2006, 12:47 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: krstophr

I know Dr Phil likes to say that money problems have nothing to do with money, and you cannot solve money issues with money, and while there is a grain of truth in that statement,  he never touches on people who live on disability.  I am legally blind, and I draw disability, even though I really am trying my best to get off disability.  I am basically living "bare bones" and it is still hard to get by.  Thank the Good Lord I do not have any kids or a wife, because things would be even worse--if that is possible.  I would like for Dr Phil to focus on the struggles of those who are disabled--like me--for one show.  After all, I really am trying to be a productive citizen.  Hopefully he will plug my book so I can be a taxpayer once again.  Well, anyway...I hope most agree with me.  Thank you

I understand the disability issue.Mine is alittle differnt though.My husband works very hard for what we have.However though I have been diagnosed with degenertive disc disease.I had major back surgery in 2001. I now have a back full of screws. We have four children 17,15,12&10.And no health insurance.I tried to work again outside of the home no such luck.Unlike you however I am trying to get on disability.Only because just so I can help to pay my office visits that I have to go to every month and all the medicines I am on.I feel like a complete burden on my family.I admire you for wanting to get off of disability.I hope though you feel like you can be a productive citizen without being a taxpayer.Don't get me wrong I would much rather work for a number of reasons.One I could feel more productive and I would make alot more making minium wage then on disability.I also agree that Dr Phil should do a show on people who live on disability.I never thought I would be in my mid thirtys and not be able to go on field trips with my kids or anything others are able to do. I 've learned to accept that things happen that we have no control over.Living on one income is very difficult especially when one of the persons is disabled.Good luck I hope you get what you need. 

February 8, 2006, 1:52 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: jim1970

Living on one income can be possible if the husband is in complete control the family finances and the wife has no credit cards.
I thank God on a regular basis for a loving and respectful husband and that I didn't fall into the trap of marrying some one in the likes of this poster. When I need money, I get it! When I need to use the credit card, I use it. When I need clothing, I go get it. I do not need a husband to tell me when where and how to spend money because I am a responsible adult with a brain and my husband knows this, We are a team and I thank God that I didn't marry a male chauffenist (sp.??) pig who thinks he is God's gift to women. get over it....and by the way, I have better credit then the hubby.......

February 8, 2006, 1:55 pm CST

Living on One Income

Quote From: jettav

I thank God on a regular basis for a loving and respectful husband and that I didn't fall into the trap of marrying some one in the likes of this poster. When I need money, I get it! When I need to use the credit card, I use it. When I need clothing, I go get it. I do not need a husband to tell me when where and how to spend money because I am a responsible adult with a brain and my husband knows this, We are a team and I thank God that I didn't marry a male chauffenist (sp.??) pig who thinks he is God's gift to women. get over it....and by the way, I have better credit then the hubby.......
just wanted to add that I have better credit because I use money and credit cards more wisely, I have my own with my name on them and hubby doesn't touch my cards and I don't touch his. Get over your self dude...........

February 8, 2006, 2:09 pm CST

attn stay at home moms

Economically speaking, stay at home moms actually do contribute tens of thousands of dollars a year to the household income.  Oftentimes this is overlooked.  I am simply stating generally accepted economic principles.  My wish is that Dr. Phil would pay more attention to people with disabilites, and even help those that want to get off  "government handouts" like me.  After all, it would only take about three minutes of his help, and things would be smooth sailing from there.  But I am a poor, white male, with a disability, so obviously Dr Phil probably won't care about my plight.  And sadly, that is the truth.

February 8, 2006, 2:41 pm CST

i think Dr.Phil blew it!!!

Don't get me wrong...i love Dr.Phil...he has helped so many people especially people with serious weight problems but today i think he blew it.
Yes he probably saved that little girl's life...she was so overweight and her mother and grandmother were too, so he gave them all a gym membership and free organic groceries and medical help plus nutritional counselling.
But when the mother asked him straight out.... "how can i change our life styles when we can't afford the good foods and the exercise equipment",
I THINK HE HAD THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO HELP THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE LOOSE WEIGHT ON THEIR OWN!
Is it possible to loose weight on welfare or a fixed income???
Is it possible to loose weight without a gym or pricey exercise equipment??? 

I believe it is but did he spread the word???
NO!!!
 he only made them more envious of the happy people on the show who got the financial help and advice they needed....and most of the world probably finished watching the show by eating a bowl of ice cream.
What do you think???
shari 

February 8, 2006, 3:02 pm CST

HA HA HA

Living on one income can be possible if the husband is in complete control the family finances and the wife has no credit cards.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Ask my husband about this! When we married, he was on the edge of bankruptcy. After my handling of the money, we now own a house with a less than $20K  mortgage, 2 completely paid for vehicles, $75 K in the bank and 2 credit cards with balances of less than $750. And during this time, he has received no pay raises except for cost of living increases, and I work at hime. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA - plus, I am certain that he has sex a LOT more than you do!

February 8, 2006, 3:05 pm CST

Weight and money

Quote From: lady_snow

Don't get me wrong...i love Dr.Phil...he has helped so many people especially people with serious weight problems but today i think he blew it.
Yes he probably saved that little girl's life...she was so overweight and her mother and grandmother were too, so he gave them all a gym membership and free organic groceries and medical help plus nutritional counselling.
But when the mother asked him straight out.... "how can i change our life styles when we can't afford the good foods and the exercise equipment",
I THINK HE HAD THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO HELP THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE LOOSE WEIGHT ON THEIR OWN!

NO!!!
 he only made them more envious of the happy people on the show who got the financial help and advice they needed....and most of the world probably finished watching the show by eating a bowl of ice cream.
What do you think???
shari 

It is difficult to lose weight on a poverty diet. Most food shelves are only able to stock canned and prepared foods simply because a lot of people in dire straits don't have cooking facilities. Macaroni and potatoes are cheap- You do have to lead by example and that lead me to reevaluate my eating habits to make my kids see that healthy eating is necessary. I got a lot of support from the people at sbc.com message boards- I wish good wishes to everyone trying to make their lives better

February 8, 2006, 3:45 pm CST

Where Did you Go Jim

Now this is a good post. Lots of brain power went into this thought process. LMAO Most families I know where the wife handles the finances more are usually in better shape at the bank.

February 8, 2006, 4:09 pm CST

NO!!!
What do you think???
shari 

HI I agree with you totally. I love Dr. Phil too. You asked "Is it possible to loose weight on welfare or a fixed income???" There is a way to do this , Not eat! I love Salads, but hate to make them, so I sit down with a hot pocket. Bad news! Why not put Weight Watchers on the food stamps availability. How about including a gym pass with medicade? I know I'd use them. There is another factor. People who have not lived in that situation does not know how it is. They can imagine, and possibly make it work for a month, but throw in so added expences, or a phyical problem and they will go down the drain quickly. I think it should be a mandatory rule that the people who make up the public Assistance rules should first live by them for a year or two. I'd love to see them try! : ) Mari

February 8, 2006, 4:37 pm CST

Fixed Income/Welfare Diet

NO!!!
What do you think???
shari 

It is possible to eat healthy on a fixed income/welfare. I was faced many years ago with having to depend on food stamps. I used coupons along with the food stamps. Healthy foods are no more expensive than junk food. And you don't need to go to a gym to loose weight. Walking 30 minutes a day and watching what you eat can have a positive impact.  

I don't believe that Dr.Phil is "showing" the viewers that it can be done. It can be. It's a matter of choice. If you buy the Ding Dongs and eat the whole box; where do you think it will go? If you sit around all the time; what do you think will happen? I for one know it goes to my hips and butt !!  

Shari~What flavor was your ice cream? : ) 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last