Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2005, 3:44 am CST

getting there

Quote From: jettav

Well, I thank you for trusting me but I am only going by my experiences. :) I have learned to choose my battles and Christmas is one of them. I ahve a strong belief that my husabnd and I need to be together for Christmeas as we are Christians and this is the time that we have set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ and I feel that this needs to be done as a family, me, him and our children and luckily we have agreed to this. In your case, Christmas might not be the battle worth fighting for? You have to think about what is best for BOTH of you? Is it possible to have two Christmases? One with your family the other with his? SOmetimes we just have to compromise, talk to your family and see what kind of arrangements can be made. You may need to be the one to make the compromising here at this point, it can be a way of showing support for your husband and at the same time showing that you do love your family as well. If he doesn't agree to any thing that you suggest then make plans as you see fit and do what you feel to do even if it means doing it seperately. Christmas is a time to show our love and appreciation for others, it doesn't have to be done on the exact date of Dec. 25th. Last year we had Christmas at my parents house three days after Christmas and even had a rranged a special visit from Santa for our girls LOL. It was still fun and for the girls, it was just a double dose of fun. :)

Dear jettav 

Thank you again for you rwords of wisodm.  i have just got off the phone from my mum and she has said pretty much the same as you.  She reminded me that i have a family of my own now and that i must stay with my husband for christmas and get to know his family, even if it will be uncomfortable.  I will learn the language and i just have to be patient.  My mum reminded me that my husband is such a lovely man and he really is and i just need help to deal with the emotions i am going through whilst living far from my family.   

i am a christian too and i have realised how important it is to hang onto what i know about christ and everything he leads us through.  I feel so happy today and am grateful that somewhere some one else in the world, a complete stranger, was able to touch my life.  In the future i am sure we will think about having christmas in our home and until we have children we shall spend time with both our families but i will spend time with his family this christmas.  

Thank you and god bless you and your family. 

November 11, 2005, 12:57 pm CST

work from home jobs????

I am a stay at home mom with a 3 1/2 year old daughter and am pregnant with our 2nd daughter due in March.  I have searched for a work from home job online non-stop with no success!  I don't know which are legit and which aren't.  How do you check to see if a company is legit at the Better Business Bureau if you only have a web address???  Is that the only way to know if it is legit or not?   

Staying at home is really important to my husband and I because we believe that it is better for our children and we have made financial sacrifices to do so.  However, I really want to do something to earn a little extra income to pay off debt and help out with bills without leaving my family and my home.  As every married couple knows, finances are a big part in a marriage, and it is very stressful when living on one income and have so many debt and bills to pay off.  I know the signs for a scam business, but some are so confusing and I can't tell if they are a scam or not.  I even checked out the Dr. Phil work from home website referrals and found one that looked legit to me, but I don't want to act on it unless I'm 100% sure if it is or not.  I even typed in the web address at the Better Business Bureau, but nothing came up.  The particular one I was looking at is www.producedreams.com  Which I got from an advertisement on Wahm.com which is on the Dr. Phil's website referral for Work at Home.  If anyone can help me on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it!  

Amy 

December 2, 2005, 3:58 pm CST

Single father with a child with braces ,how to pay

I am a single parent and having to put braces on  my daughter so she can breath better. But with have no insurance. So does anyone know of any programs out there that might help me with this. On a one income and all the bills up to me, taken on one more is a lot, but what do you do. When they say she has to have them ,then that is what you do.So if anyone knows of any program that might help me with this let me know I would really appreciate it

December 2, 2005, 5:18 pm CST

To dtbrown32

Quote From: dtbrown32

I am a single parent and having to put braces on  my daughter so she can breath better. But with have no insurance. So does anyone know of any programs out there that might help me with this. On a one income and all the bills up to me, taken on one more is a lot, but what do you do. When they say she has to have them ,then that is what you do.So if anyone knows of any program that might help me with this let me know I would really appreciate it

I did a little searching around because I remember Dr. Phil did a show that mentioned a program that helped with dental issues. However, upon further research, I realized the organization was for people who have suffered from domestic violence. The program is called, "Give Back A Smile." (http://www.aacd.com/givebackasmile/ ) It might be possible that they could recommend another group to help you in your situation.  

Also listed on a Dr. Phil show was Invisalign (http://www.invisalign.com/). This show pertained to a young lady that regretted not getting braces as a child. (http://drphil.com/shows/show/66/) In this particular case, Invisalign offered to help the young lady correct her smile.  

Maybe one of these organizations can give you information on where or how you can go about getting your daughter braces to improve her breathing.  

I hope this helps. 

December 5, 2005, 5:13 pm CST

Need Encouragement

I am currently unemployed and a mother of 4 beatiful boys.  I got layed off and have not been able to find employement.  I was married for 14 years and am now seperated.  I lost my home, my vehicle and now my job.  These past few months have just been hell.  I am grateful that my boys are healthy but this will be their worst Christmas ever.  I have never been in this situation and don't know how to handle it.  I have tried different programs for assistance for my rent and no one has been able to help.  I did apply for food stamps and medicaid and did qualify, so im grateful for that.  I was also married before which lasted 3 years because it was very abusive, either he would kill me or scary to say but i could of killed him.   He has never paid child support because he has been in and out of jail.  I seperated from my husband now because i found out he cheated on me twice, "He says".  Anyway, I did leave him for that reason and because he is an alcoholic and I couldnt handle it anymore and couldnt put my boys through that mental abuse anymore.  He hardly helps me with any cash, once in a while he will give me 20 or 30 dollars, he says he has to pay for his college and his rent.  So what do I do?  Nothing!!  Someone  please tell me what else I can do!!!!

December 5, 2005, 7:43 pm CST

Child Support

Quote From: lavendar05

I am currently unemployed and a mother of 4 beatiful boys.  I got layed off and have not been able to find employement.  I was married for 14 years and am now seperated.  I lost my home, my vehicle and now my job.  These past few months have just been hell.  I am grateful that my boys are healthy but this will be their worst Christmas ever.  I have never been in this situation and don't know how to handle it.  I have tried different programs for assistance for my rent and no one has been able to help.  I did apply for food stamps and medicaid and did qualify, so im grateful for that.  I was also married before which lasted 3 years because it was very abusive, either he would kill me or scary to say but i could of killed him.   He has never paid child support because he has been in and out of jail.  I seperated from my husband now because i found out he cheated on me twice, "He says".  Anyway, I did leave him for that reason and because he is an alcoholic and I couldnt handle it anymore and couldnt put my boys through that mental abuse anymore.  He hardly helps me with any cash, once in a while he will give me 20 or 30 dollars, he says he has to pay for his college and his rent.  So what do I do?  Nothing!!  Someone  please tell me what else I can do!!!!

The father of the kids has to pay, whether he is in jail or not, whether he is in college or not. GO to social services and tell them what is going on- Your kids will qualify for some sort of aid, and depending where you are in the US, they will connect you with support groups. It sounds like its all happened to you in the last few months- thank God its over and you can go forward. Hope is the only thing that if you lose, you are sunk. This is not going to be your kids worst Christmas ever- what would be your worst Christmas is if you all sit around being sad-being with people you love is more important- even when you are a little kid. This can be your familys' barometer for success- "Remember when we didn't have anything and....look at where we are now!" Get out and look at the Christmas lights. Go to midnight mass, or the Christmas service. Surround yourself with people, soon they will be your friends. Practice smiling. Sounds crazy, I know, but look in the mirror and practice smiling, and then smile at the first 10 people you see every day- if they smile back, you count a point. If they don't smile, you have to add 2 people to your smile list! Believe me, after smiling at all those people, you will feel better. Am I rambling? Yes. Please get up in the morning and say "Thank you God for only letting good things happen to me" ( What if you still had your house, your car and your job, but lost your kids??? Now that would be awful.) My wishes are with you- it will get better....  

December 8, 2005, 3:34 am CST

work from home

Quote From: aekirsch

I am a stay at home mom with a 3 1/2 year old daughter and am pregnant with our 2nd daughter due in March.  I have searched for a work from home job online non-stop with no success!  I don't know which are legit and which aren't.  How do you check to see if a company is legit at the Better Business Bureau if you only have a web address???  Is that the only way to know if it is legit or not?   

Staying at home is really important to my husband and I because we believe that it is better for our children and we have made financial sacrifices to do so.  However, I really want to do something to earn a little extra income to pay off debt and help out with bills without leaving my family and my home.  As every married couple knows, finances are a big part in a marriage, and it is very stressful when living on one income and have so many debt and bills to pay off.  I know the signs for a scam business, but some are so confusing and I can't tell if they are a scam or not.  I even checked out the Dr. Phil work from home website referrals and found one that looked legit to me, but I don't want to act on it unless I'm 100% sure if it is or not.  I even typed in the web address at the Better Business Bureau, but nothing came up.  The particular one I was looking at is www.producedreams.com  Which I got from an advertisement on Wahm.com which is on the Dr. Phil's website referral for Work at Home.  If anyone can help me on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it!  

Amy 

I have looked at a bunch of them and for the most part they seem to be scams or schemes to get a little money from you, and according to the BBB this is exactly how they make their money. I did find the one you were asking about (producedreams.com)and according to the BBB they have an unsatisfactory record due to failure to respond to the BBB about a complaint. If you scroll down to the bottom of that homepage the name is The Online System. Go to the BBB website and click businesses, type the name in and it will give you a list, click The Online System and get the report.The complaint was over a refund or exchange issue, which they probably suckered some person out of some money they probably shouldn't have spent, and wouldn't give it back. It seems like the government would try harder to crack down on these crooked companies, but there are many and they are probably hard to track. There are jobs you could do at home, me and my wife are in the same situation with a 3-1/2 month old at home. She is planning on starting school in January for medical transcriptionist, some of these jobs are work from home. You can get a one year certificate course or an associates degree. Since she qualifies for financial aid this is a plus because she can also take some of this course online through through the local community college.

December 27, 2005, 11:44 pm CST

fathers the only one bringing in the income, mother has cancer

About two in a half years ago my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Multiple Myeloma, a cancer in which eats away at your bones. She went to many doctors to try and find out what was wrong, but no one found anything unhealthy. Four months later they finally detected the cancer. Because they detected it so late her organs all began to fail. She fell into a coma, and she became very ill. She lost her hair, she lost all hope and confidence as a woman and as a mother. She was receiving a monthly check from workmen's comp. but when it finally stopped not that long after she was diagnosed she was forced to apply for social security. She applied for social security two years ago and since then she has not received one check. Oh wait we receive one check every month for the amount of one dollar. Along with the dollar check is a printed sheet explaining how to accurately spend the one dollar. My father being the only one bringing money in works everyday from 5am to 5pm. He struggles all the time. He has many health problems in which could lead to serious health problems, but because the family relies on him to bring the money home he trys to hide it. Though I see right through him. It is so hard to watch my mother have to worry about my father as he leaves everyday for work, let alone have to fight everyday just to stay alive. We are on the urge of losing our house. And I struggle every day in school. I am now a junior and I just turned 16. I hate having to worry that maybe there is something out there that can cure my mother from all the unbearable pain, but that we would not even be able to afford it. I just wish there was something out there that can give our family a miracle. I pray every night that one day our miracle will come to us, and stop us from this pain.

January 5, 2006, 8:33 am CST

Living On One Income

My husband and I live on one income.  We also live in a small community that is still trying to survive on old money and won't let other stores or industries come in.  Prices are very high, we have about 10 stores in this town to choose from, hardly any employment gives you any benefits including insurance, and you are quite lucky if you make $10.00 an hour.  We have 4 children, 2 teenagers, a 2 year old, and a 4 month old.  We have learned to live basically off of fixing things ourselves.  We always by used cars, which not only are cheaper to fix, but seem to be more durable.  We pay cash for everything.  We, just bought out house for $5000.00, we were able to take our income tax money and use it to repair the home and make it liveable.  We can not live a instant life, when you are on a one income, small budget income as well.  I cook all our meals from scratch, I make my own curtains, etc...My husband can fix anything which makes repairs on cars and our house lower cost.  We live week by week.  Somedays it can get discouraging, but then we look at the world around us, and watch people living glamorous on the outside, with all their possesions, and never have time to enjoy the earth, and the families God has given us.  Also living without alot of money, makes you bring out skills you didn't think you had, or probably wouldn't use, had you did everything the way everyone else does, and get buried in debt.  People are afraid to live with less it seems, because everyone is always worried about the outside image of what people think. I can't believe how much money is wasted in this country on things that don't matter, and people's talents and skills are wasted, by wanting the instant fast life.        Angela

January 5, 2006, 8:55 am CST

Help if you can

I live in a small town in Louisiana. I have a 8 month old baby, and have been staying at home since I got laid off from my job in September 2005. My company operated on state funds, and Katrina wiped out our funds. I have been searching for a job, but cannot get one. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology with a 3.53 GPA and I have completed all the required training for my master's degree in clinical psychology, except I cannot afford to regester another semester to complete my thesis. The job I had before (mental health rehabilitation) paid $8.00 per hour. I am willing to work for that same amount, but I have a feeling that I could make more money in a different area of our wonderful country. My marriage is beginning to suffer because of the financial stress we are facing. I am ready to cut my losses with graduate school and move somewhere that I can go to work. Anybody who knows of a place where I should start searching for jobs, please let me know. Thank you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last