Message Boards

Topic : Living on One Income

Number of Replies: 385
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:21:37 am
Author : dataimport
Whether you're a stay-at-home mom, single, separated or unemployed, living on one income can be quite a challenge. Share your tips and advice with others trying to make ends meet.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 9:14 am CDT

living on one income

how do you manage?

July 25, 2005, 9:32 pm CDT

one income

Not always the easiest but can be done. recycling, coupons, freeze left overs, bargain shopping, I buy absolutely nothing at regular price. store brands are just as good as the national brand. use the lay a way plan instead of credit cards. cheap if not free entertainment, sharing meals in a restaurante( alot of restaurantes serve way too much food per serving). we save all our change, it goes into a container and it adds up to dollars. living within our means isn't always easy but really is the best. We figure out what is imporant and what we need and do not need, I have had yard sales to get rid of unused/unwanted things (not too often as I have a habit of giving things away :).I am a stay at home mom and I wouldn't have it any other way. My husabnd and I have discussed this issue many times and always come up with the conclusion that it just wouldn't be worth sending our kids to day care, it would add another expense and in my profession, I wouldn't make much, it would all end up going to day care and I personally enjoy having my kids home with me and they are happy and content. My husabnd is working two jobs at this time because we are in the process of starting our own business and it takes money to make money. We just try to use common sense and not to get over our heads.

July 31, 2005, 12:49 pm CDT

The one income things........

Living with one income can be tricky-especially when you are not living together- My husband is in the military, and based in another state, while I live where I feel our children need to be raised. He is cool with it, and when he retires in 26 months and 30 days, he will be moving here. So, we have 2 households to maintain, and unfortunately, my darling goes crazy with money. So, he has an allowance, and I take care of his "bills" so they get paid on time. You really need an Alpha Dog in the family to run the money. Thats me. I don't enter convenience stores. I don't buy a cup of coffee somewhere. I live for dollar stores, which is where all my dishes and kitchen wares come from....as well as a lot of fun stuff.I never buy a "meal" in a restaurant unless its a special occasion and I never go anywhere without a plan of attack.(thats what 2 small kids do to you- no aimless wandering!) Taking the kids means I can't browse, or shop in anyplace that doesn't have a shopping cart. I cook at home all the time, and do all of our own baking- plus, I find that people don't like to bake at home- I make $20 on a birthday cake here and there, and just did a wedding cake in my spare time for $600. If you are home, you can do a lot of your own painting and home repair. You can do your own lawn care. If you stay at home with your kids, you will find that not only do your kids act better, they are healthier, so you save on Dr bills. Cut the cable bills to a minimum- listen to the radio-play with your kids and husband. Talk talk talk to your neighbors- not only is it fun, but you create a community which becomes safer- communicate with your partner about your dreams and they will help them come true. (My anniversary gift for 5 years next month is a Rug Doctor carpet steam cleaner. My darling wanted to buy me a diamond. Believe me, that Rug Doctor  will look much better on the end of my hand than a diamond on my finger...) Stick together and laugh a lot. Money is fun, but love is better......

August 17, 2005, 7:38 am CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: pitterpat

how do you manage?

Living on one income is a huge challange. Not only are most homes two incomes but then there is 

no one to bounce things off of and share the responsibilitys of running a household. I tell my family 

that most household are working 80 hrs a week (40 for husband & 40 for the wife) . In order to sucessfully run my household I work 80+ house a week. This is increased by the fact I sell real estate and I'm on comission. Basically I take care of my real estate business first , second my 

personal finances. If family or friend don't understand , oh well. I have been managing this life 

style for 26 years and I'm in the top 5% of my field. The only thing I can't seem to manage is the stress, can anyone help me with that?       

August 19, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

Stress

Quote From: candace

Living on one income is a huge challange. Not only are most homes two incomes but then there is 

no one to bounce things off of and share the responsibilitys of running a household. I tell my family 

that most household are working 80 hrs a week (40 for husband & 40 for the wife) . In order to sucessfully run my household I work 80+ house a week. This is increased by the fact I sell real estate and I'm on comission. Basically I take care of my real estate business first , second my 

personal finances. If family or friend don't understand , oh well. I have been managing this life 

style for 26 years and I'm in the top 5% of my field. The only thing I can't seem to manage is the stress, can anyone help me with that?       

Congratulations on your success in Real estate- good for you if thats what you want! I'm not willing to give up 80 hours a week of my life for money- but thats just me. If stress is giving you a problem, you should figure out where its coming from and eliminate or minimize that from your life. I would suggest that you talk with some of your family or friends, but it doesn't sound like you have any time for that........

September 2, 2005, 2:11 pm CDT

Living on One Income

Quote From: queentween

Congratulations on your success in Real estate- good for you if thats what you want! I'm not willing to give up 80 hours a week of my life for money- but thats just me. If stress is giving you a problem, you should figure out where its coming from and eliminate or minimize that from your life. I would suggest that you talk with some of your family or friends, but it doesn't sound like you have any time for that........

Thank you for your suggestion that I should talk with family or friends, the ones that understand are either single like myself and might have also worked on comission. I don't really feel that I'm working for the money. I forgot to tell you that I live 22 miles from Washington DC and it is very expensive. I live in a upper middle class neighborhood. The stress is from not knowing week to week what I will make, comission is very hard to live on. I hear people with two incomes coming 

into a household  weekly and I don't understand that I feel you just need a budget. I can't budget when I don't know what I'm making. My family does not understand. They have a different life from me there both marrried with children.    

September 5, 2005, 1:32 pm CDT

Two n income families not uncommon

I am also a contributor to the household income. We could not do this on one income and we are barely scraping by. I can't wait until both kids are in school and we can have some extra money!  

Rachel  

October 6, 2005, 6:37 am CDT

Disabled living on one income

Living on one income with a family is very hard.  I know I did that very thing when I raised 3 children that are now adults experiencing the same problems.  That is why I am in the financial shape I am in today.  All monies had to go to raising the children and one grandchild without government help. 

Being female 60 divorced and on minimal disability is definitely a challenge.  I rent a room and that is all I have.  A part-time job is out of the question due to surgeries needed (after car accident that was not my fault)  and other physical problems.   I have been on disability 1 Year and you can't get Medicare for 2 years and they say I make to much for Medicaid. Any suggestions?   

October 7, 2005, 10:29 am CDT

Convincing Husband to live on 1 income

My problem is that my husband and I are both successful in our fields and I NEVER thought that I would want to be a stay at home mom EVER.  However, after having the second in 2 years, I am really struggling with guilt at not being at home, the stress level of juggling a high-stress job that is commission only with managing the house.  And while my husband is GREAT, we have very little time together because EVERY weekend is spent doing chores that cannot be done during the week nights.   My husband just received a large raise that would more than keep us comfortable on 1 income, but where I was excited because I thought it would make the decision easier for me to stay at home, he sees it as a great opportunity to make more money.  We have no debts other than our house, and we have plenty of savings, so it is not as if we would suffer a lifestyle change going to one income, I am just worried that he won't support the decision and wonder where this new attitude has come from (since he married a work-aholic). 

Any advice on how to word my desire to stay at home without it sounding like I want to take the "easy-way-out" ? (I am thinking from a male perspective there) 

Thanks!  (sorry for such a long rant - this is my first post) 

Corrie 

October 12, 2005, 8:33 am CDT

Work At Home

Im a mother of two kids 8 year girl and 12 year old boy and a wonderful gift of a baby boy on the way thats a blessing. due this coming March. 

Im frustrated that there are NO jobs and i mean nooo jobs in Iowa where I live that will not hirer me due to there so called standards. Which im told more like Discrimination than anything. 

I get interviews and they say 'Oh I'd love to hirer you right now you have everything we are looking for and you could start right away .....but.. im sorry we just can't work around the school hours for your kids. we have set hours only.' What abunch of blank. I havent had a job in like can't really remember when,   a few years.  

A few years ago my hubby thought its be a good ideal to take a home cource in Medical Claims Billing and therefor I did and I passed and have my Diplomia. my finail grade was 96%. They (At-Home-Profession Located in Dever Co) told me i could work at home for a local company working on Medical Claims Billing if i have Internet. Well Dsl is not out in the country. not one Medical Claims Company will hirer me even though i have proof and training they closed there doors and beside no company is going to trust any person to work on medical claims at home. So we was burnt out of $3,000.00 for something that was faulty. ( i have dail up if lucky ) 

Back in the 98 I had paid $30. to get a listing of work at home companys. Well it came and it was just a book called The Complete Guide To Home Based Employment . all it was is a book with home jobs and only gave half the information and alot of P.O. box for the companys address. and if you was interested in one ya had to send a letter for additional information to get started and send a self address. or to get free informtion. I tryed one for beeded earring i made the five they wanted send it back and they got rejected cuz they didnt meet there SO called Standards.  

There's got to be Some kind of company  where I can work at home making some type of crafts and using the u p s for shipping (u p s passes my house everyday on the gravel road) 

Ive looked online for them and I also see that not one of them is Redistared with the BBB therefor every one is faulty. 

I have great anger building inside cuz i want to help my hubby with the bills and everything else. My hubby is stressed out due to working two Jobs. Even though he'll say otherwise. where now he has a Skin rash caused by stressed, (is what the doc said) His first job is sales and works from 7am until 5pm the comes home eats dinner quickly, Then poof  he's off  to his part time job at an auto store for another 4-5 hours at night. He says hes not burnt out but I can see he is. The part time job is maybe a few nights and mostly every weekend. 

He told my father that he would rather work two jobs instead of having me go to work. I think that is very loving and carring,  

Is there really a thing called Work at home jobs. ?  To make money or something? Or is that just a saying as in work at home mother who cleans the house and cooks. Yippy.  

Please Let me know I would really like to hear from others about this. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last