Message Boards

Topic : 07/02 The O.J. Book Battle

Number of Replies: 973
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, October 08, 2007, 04:49:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/15/08) The speculation surrounding O.J. Simpson has never stopped since his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman were tragically murdered 13 years ago. Millions watched O.J.'s infamous white Bronco chase on TV. The murder trial, which lasted 10 months, is often called the trial of the century and was the most watched in history. Simpson stirred the controversy again by attempting to publish a book called, If I Did It. While he says it's a work of fiction, the family of Ron Goldman believes If I Did It is his confession, and that he got caught up in the interview process for the book and forgot that he was supposed to be speculating rather than reporting. Now, the Goldmans are the focus of a huge controversy as they take over publishing the tome. Are they justified in taking the profits away from the man they believe to have killed their loved one? And, meet the ghostwriter of If I Did It, Pablo Fenjves, a man who sat across the table from O.J. for over three months as the former football star told him how it would have happened -- if he had been the killer. Join Fenjves as he goes back to the crime scene and reveals compelling details from his conversations with Simpson. Plus, Dr. Phil offers his take on O.J. and this now best-selling book. Was it a confession, or is it truly just a hypothetical account? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2007, 1:03 pm CDT

Concerns with Book Topic

I am not sure where I stand with regard to the Goldman family actually publishing this tasteless OJ book but since I haven't walked in their shoes, I guess I should withhold judgment because perhaps this brings them healing and closure.

That being said, as it pertains to the book "If I Did It", I would have to ask myself which ex-husband who truly loved his wife, the woman who bore his two precious children, would even pursue a book that speculates on the actual details of how the murders transpired? As a loving husband, or ex-husband in this situation, would you not have more interest in finding the perpetrator and bringing them to justice? Certainly, you would wonder in private whether or not your loved one suffered for a long time prior to their death and you would want to learn as much as possible from the forensic evidence, but again, I don't think you would want to imagine the details of how the murderer went about the actual act of killing. To me the whole situation says a lot more about OJ being more concerned with publicity and money than the suffering and well-being of those he is supposed to hold dear. It appears to me that he fits the mold of a domestic abuser, someone with perhaps a personality disorder, who escalated in his anger and rage toward murder of a person in an intimate or close relationship.

Thanks,
Lisa

October 13, 2007, 1:04 pm CDT

OJ Did It

I have thought from the very beginning that OJ committed this double homicide.  My husband and I have had many heated discussions regarding this issue because he feels that there wasn't enough evidence to prove OJ's guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt".

I will not spend one red penny on this book or on anything else which could possibly benefit OJ financially in any way.  Although, I definitely will watch Dr. Phil on Monday.

Basically, this "football hero" got away with two murders.  This was a travesty then and will continue to be a travesty.  However, I agree with the person who said that ultimately, OJ will have to answer to a Higher Power than the jury.  He won't be able to plead the Fifth Amendment or refuse to testify on his own behalf at that time.

October 13, 2007, 1:37 pm CDT

The book?

OJ has really gotten himself in a mess.  Maybe he'll go to jail over the robbery for life.  Then when his time is up, GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

October 13, 2007, 1:38 pm CDT

O.J.

I hate to admit that I was one that thought that O.J. was innocent of the crime of killing his ex-wife and her boyfriend, but now with the latest book that he wrote I have my doubts. I really believe that he did do it and I am truly sorry to the family that he did not go to prison for his crime.

But, after all we have to remember that not only O.J. knows what happened that day, but God knows too and O.J. will have to answer for this on JUDGEMENT DAY.

October 13, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

oj

Quote From: bnaito

People who continue to say that O.J. Simpson murdered Nicole and Ron continue to play double standards. They continue to persecute the man after the court cleared him of criminal responsibility. This indicates that they don't believe in the justice system, and that make it very dangerous. What information do they have that wasn't presented in the trial that makes them more right than the jurors who decided on the case? Hypocrites!

bn

Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear ,hey didnt you know that the jury never got to hear about half the things we did...the cops screwed up so they could not present it...its a fact goldmans blood was found where ..if oj were innocent it should not have been...and what kind of father would write such trash...only a egotistical sick murderer who is cocky about getting away with murder..simple as that..

October 13, 2007, 1:54 pm CDT

sick of OJ

Quote From: kellejc

I would think that O. J. would want to stay out of the limelight after getting away with such a horrendous crime.  I think he is the epitome of arrogant!

I'm so sick of OJ. He is not worth all of this attention. He needs to be in JAIL. I would never buy the book-but I do feel the family's should be compensated,

October 13, 2007, 2:06 pm CDT

innocent or not

In my opion me and my husband still think that he is still guilty of the murder of his ex-wife and her boyfriend  even though he was found not guilty , it helps when you have have alot of money to spend on lawyers and such  to get off so easy .

I sure like to hear Dr. Phil say something about this book and I sure will be watching on Mondays Show

Fietkau2

October 13, 2007, 3:01 pm CDT

I bought the book!

The man was found guilty in the civil trial and was ordered to pay a judgment to the Goldman family. He has found every loophole in the legal system to avoid the Court order and this book is a way for the Goldman family to get what the Judge ordered. I bought the book for that very reason, and that reason alone.

I am amazed that people are angry at the Goldmans for publishing this book. I don't believe for a minute that for them it's about the money, it's about the only justice they could get for their son and brother. Buying the book was my way to support this family who has shown nothing but dignity during the most horrible time I think a family can endure.

October 13, 2007, 3:06 pm CDT

civil trial

Quote From: netsroses

Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear ,hey didnt you know that the jury never got to hear about half the things we did...the cops screwed up so they could not present it...its a fact goldmans blood was found where ..if oj were innocent it should not have been...and what kind of father would write such trash...only a egotistical sick murderer who is cocky about getting away with murder..simple as that..

This isn't about double standards. O.J. Simpson was found guilty in a civil trial and ordered to pay a Judgment. He is the epitome of arrogant....not only is he a killer, but he totally believes he is above the law, and for the most part, there hasn't been much to tell him otherwise. Yeah, the civil court found him guilty but he's evaded that punishment as well.

And by the way, I don't think the cops screwed up enough to have caused the verdict....it was the prosecution that lost the case. Not the cops.

October 13, 2007, 3:10 pm CDT

OJ profit

Quote From: honeyeight

I have thought from the very beginning that OJ committed this double homicide.  My husband and I have had many heated discussions regarding this issue because he feels that there wasn't enough evidence to prove OJ's guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt".

I will not spend one red penny on this book or on anything else which could possibly benefit OJ financially in any way.  Although, I definitely will watch Dr. Phil on Monday.

Basically, this "football hero" got away with two murders.  This was a travesty then and will continue to be a travesty.  However, I agree with the person who said that ultimately, OJ will have to answer to a Higher Power than the jury.  He won't be able to plead the Fifth Amendment or refuse to testify on his own behalf at that time.

This book wasn't published in the beginng because it was traced back to a company that OJ set up as a shell....originally he would have profited from this book and I wouldn't have bought it then, either.

The way it's pulbished now, the Goldman family owns the book, and from what I understand the proceeds are going to a foundation they set up in Ron's name.

O.J. absolutely got away with two murders, but the truth ALWAYS wins out, and there is a judgement day for everone. God will deal with this man better than any court system could.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last