Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 13, 2007, 6:45 pm CST

Building a Savings

From a person who came from recycling aluminum and steel cans, and donating blood to pay my bills, to a woman whose got a retirement fund and savings cushion..I thought I'd share a pointer

When paying bills from your checking account, round up to the next whole dollar when you record it in your register (ex. $24.37, record as $25.00). Then monthly, quarterly, or yearly transfer the "hidden" money to your savings account (may be easiest to do this when you reconcile your bank account). If this helps, let me know...I've got more where that came from :)

February 7, 2008, 5:22 pm CST

start with the battery

Quote From: lucky35

Hello.  I just bought a new car, but my old car (honda) I want fixed really bad.  It is broken down in my yard.  It will not crank.  I don't know how to fix it?  Should I "tow" it to the dealership and pay a $60 diagnostic check and find out at least what is wrong with it? I know I probably could not afford to get it fixed at the dealership though and I would have to "tow" it back home and that alone could be at least $120 round-trip.  Will a mechanic come to my house and tell me what is wrong without charing me for the diagnosis?  I don't know what to do?!  I really want to get it fixed, but I don't know what is wrong with my old car and it won't drive to any mechanic shop/business. HELP!
if it dont crank use jumper cables from another car and try to jump start it, or pull it with another car, put it in second gear and SLOWLY let out clutch and see if that turns it over . might take a few tries. make sure you got enough gas in it in case it does start. if it automatic this wont work. OR, take battery to checker auto parts or other auto parts store and they can check it for free.check coil wire to make sure you got a spark as well and ALL your wires are clean  and in good condition.could be something else but this is where it starts. battery (electrical) 

March 16, 2008, 4:55 am CDT

money tips and tricks

Quote From: nightmare619

From a person who came from recycling aluminum and steel cans, and donating blood to pay my bills, to a woman whose got a retirement fund and savings cushion..I thought I'd share a pointer

When paying bills from your checking account, round up to the next whole dollar when you record it in your register (ex. $24.37, record as $25.00). Then monthly, quarterly, or yearly transfer the "hidden" money to your savings account (may be easiest to do this when you reconcile your bank account). If this helps, let me know...I've got more where that came from :)

I do the "roundup" thing, too!! I love it and it keeps me "safe."  In the last couple months, there's an extra 30 bucks in my account just from rounding up those extra few cents..here's another idea on that one...everytime you "round up," write down somewhere in that transaction how many cents you "ignored" so it's easy to go thru an total them when you want.

June 27, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

About Budgeting

I found a site thats pretty good regarding budgeting.

Its a religious site, but if you're not Christian you can still use the tools that are offered.

The site is called Crown.org.  There are also podcasts and tapes you can listen to. 

My husband was recently fired from his job and we needed tools to budget with my income alone.  So far, we aren't drowning.  OK well our mouths are under water but thank goodness we can breathe through our nose. 

Hope this helps someone.  Have a great summer everyone.

Pearl

September 15, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

Double or nothing

Quote From: pearlhanna

I found a site thats pretty good regarding budgeting.

Its a religious site, but if you're not Christian you can still use the tools that are offered.

The site is called Crown.org.  There are also podcasts and tapes you can listen to. 

My husband was recently fired from his job and we needed tools to budget with my income alone.  So far, we aren't drowning.  OK well our mouths are under water but thank goodness we can breathe through our nose. 

Hope this helps someone.  Have a great summer everyone.

Pearl

I am a single 57 year old woman who has more or less raised 2 husbands.  I have lost about all I previously had in savings due to always getting my ex's out of financial problems.  Doing so has left me with very little. 

On my new job I have 6% of my income put into 401K and have only been there for 3 years.  I also have a 15K IRA account.  What I'd like to know is what options do I have in trying to double this income for my future.  I thought about buying stocks but don't want to pay a broker so much that I lose more than I make.

Any help,

Thanks,

Debi

September 21, 2008, 12:46 am CDT

FINANCIAL HELP FOR YOU

Quote From: fanni50

I am a single 57 year old woman who has more or less raised 2 husbands.  I have lost about all I previously had in savings due to always getting my ex's out of financial problems.  Doing so has left me with very little. 

On my new job I have 6% of my income put into 401K and have only been there for 3 years.  I also have a 15K IRA account.  What I'd like to know is what options do I have in trying to double this income for my future.  I thought about buying stocks but don't want to pay a broker so much that I lose more than I make.

Any help,

Thanks,

Debi

I have some suggestions for you. There is a program on the cable station CNN MONEY. They will answer any questions that you might have. I watched the program tonight with my concerns of the FINANCIAL situation the country is going through. You can go to CNN.COM or go to TWITTER.COM then to ISSUE1@CNN/COM. I am sure they will have the answers to all of your questions. Also, on CNN is SUZIE ORMAN that has a show that answers to questions about FINANCE. I hope this information helps you! GOOD LUCK!

September 21, 2008, 2:35 am CDT

MORE FINANCIAL INFORMATION

Quote From: angel111999

I have some suggestions for you. There is a program on the cable station CNN MONEY. They will answer any questions that you might have. I watched the program tonight with my concerns of the FINANCIAL situation the country is going through. You can go to CNN.COM or go to TWITTER.COM then to ISSUE1@CNN/COM. I am sure they will have the answers to all of your questions. Also, on CNN is SUZIE ORMAN that has a show that answers to questions about FINANCE. I hope this information helps you! GOOD LUCK!
It's me again to let you know that I made a mistake by informing you that SUZE ORMAN has a program on CNN. Sorry I was wrong. She is only a special guest there. Her program is on CNBC. You can get so much FINANCIAL ADVICE from her. Try it out!

September 22, 2008, 5:03 am CDT

COUPON IDEAS

If you want to get coupons on all your favorite products look on the product label for a website that you can go to that will send you COUPONS. I just started doing this with great results. I've actually received $5 coupons on my cosmetics. I've also received COUPONS on my cleaning products starting at $2. It's a better idea then having to cut out coupons of a lesser value.
There is also a website
EVERSAVE.COM that provides you with COUPONS along with recipes and suveys that you can obtain. Try it out!
Also, your local LIBRARY usually provides coupons that you may choose from and you can drop off any coupons you do not want. Ask your libraian and she will be able to direct you to the box that contains the COUPONS.
HAPPY SAVINGS WITH COUPONS TO ALL!

February 27, 2009, 5:58 pm CST

DOLLORAMA

MY FAVORITE STORE IS CALLED MANY THINGS: THE DOLLAR STORE, DOLLORAMA, ETC...
MANY HOUSEHOLD ITEMS CAN BE FOUND THERE FOR UNDER A DOLLAR.
CLEANING PRODUCTS, DISHES, ARTS AND CRAFTS FOR THE KIDS,
TOWELS, TOYS, CARDS, PARTY FAVORS,ETC...
I EVEN DECORATED MY SISTERS HALL FOR HER WEDDING FROM ONE OF THESE STORES AND IT WAS QUITE NICE...SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE CREATIVE BUT WORTH THE SAVINGS

CHECK OUT THE PHONE BOOK, NEWSPAPER, OR ONLINE TO FIND THE NEAREST STORE...
HAPPY BARGAIN HUNTING

March 3, 2009, 3:12 pm CST

Making A Grocery List

I know not everyone has a spread sheet program on their computer, but here's my tip: First create a grocery list in your spread sheet program. If you don't know how to do the formulas use the help function and learn the program. I use mine for everything shopping, budgets, calenders, everything.
Anyways when your creating it create columns:
Department/Item (These will become your sections to place your items)
Projected Cost
Quantity
Coupons (multiply the number of coupons by the amount off for the item)
Actual Cost
Total
Best Store

Divide it into sections :
Dairy
Dry Goods
Meat
Frozen Foods
Produce
Cleaning Products
Then create columns :

Create a quantity and subtotal box for each section then a master total at the bottom with tax.
I wish I could upload the thing so ya'll can see it.

Then Scour your Wensday mail flyers (Most of us get this "junk mail" on Wensdays. I can tell you it's not junk. I find all sorts of sale items that I can use my coupons on) to see which stores have what you need on sale. Adjust your projected cost accordingly. Then eat a good meal and go scouting. Your not actually going to buy anything your just going to check your stores and adjust your prices accordingly. I know it's hard and no matter if you need it or not DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. We've all had it happen, you impulse buy cause the deal looks good and end up regretting it cause it wasn't really that great a deal. That's why we scour the papers and the stores BEFORE we shop. Another good idea is to look for a meat and fish market around your home , as well as a bread store and vegetable market. I can go to the Merita bread store and buy 2 loaves of bread for around a $1. They also have snake cakes and other stuff. I spend around $176 a month on groceries for 3 adults WITH 2 standing Sunday dinners that 1 or more friends attend. I think most of it stems from the fact that I rarely buy convenience foods. I do mashed potatoes and potato salad home made. I make my own spaghetti sauce little things like that.
Research your cleaning and bath products too. I only buy biodegradable cleaning and bath products. I use Method for laundry and everything.
Methods body wash is incredible. I buy one large bottle once every 6 months for my boyfriend and I. It is a little pricy however it literally only takes one pump of soap to lather up our loofa really good. I figured it out recently that the average person spends around $4-10 a month on body wash over a 6 month period that totals out to around $24-60. Using the Method stuff I only spend $10 for 6 months. (http://www.methodhome.com/ ) And email your favorite companies. Pacific Naturals makes awesome broth and sends dollar off coupons by request. I eat a lot of organics and have gotten some good coupons through that method. Be aware and shop around.

Oh and if you don't have a spread sheet program go to Openoffice.com. They have an entire office suite that is free to download and use.

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Next | Last