Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 29, 2005, 3:06 pm CDT

I Bond?

Quote From: lemondrop

Imagine,  an almost 7% interest on savings. 

In a year when the stock market has been  down........and savings are paying virtually peanuts........The I bonds can offer an attractive interest rate. 

The rate on these bonds which can be purchased thru your local banks.......or  the treasury direct.....is at a good rate right now...........one portion of the interest rate will be changing again on Nov. 1 as they are adjusted each Nov. and May.       

Resource to check this out............www.bankrate.com 

www.suzeorman.com 

Happy reading!!!!!! 

Happy saving!!!!!!! 

These are called "I Bonds"? Is there a minimum deposit to purchase? SOunds great! Thanks for the idea! (I am a dummy, what does the "I" stand for?

October 31, 2005, 1:49 pm CST

Save $ Books

I am a stay at home mom, living in the CA Bay Area. It's really expensive here!!! When I decided to quit my job, we had to figure out how to save $. I have read some really great books on the subject that help. However, a good plan and a determined attitude are necessary to make it work. Here are some of my favorites: *Miserly Moms *Tightwad Gazette *Your Money or Your Life (my favorite) *More Wealth Without Risk (good tax tips) *Automatic Millionaire I also like to watch Suze Orman shows to learn about smart money management. There are also some really great websites with tips if you type in a search for frugality.

November 12, 2005, 11:48 am CST

young and dont save much

Dear Dr.Phil
I have a bit of a shoping problem . I work 4 days a week . Rent  is about  $400 . I dont have a saving accont , me being 20 and  no creadit cards . My dad my senuer year , gave me $200 a week . Thats a lot of 17-18 year old . And I go to the mall 3days a week . I spend about  $500 at a time . I'm a dancer . And I'm trying to find another job , that pays like Dillards did when i worked thier .
I hoping i could hopefuly  learn not to spend so much . And i want to go back to school , and save for the future  and be secure when the time comes .
 My boyfriend always complains when we go to the mall , cuz i buy everything i see i like !!! He pulls me aside and tells me thier are more important  things then me have bunch of purses that are over $150  a peace , and I love love cell phones !!Yes thoughs nice $300 to $400 dallor phones . I'm getting another line and a more expense phone than the last . I want to work for a cell phone compay  , really bad , and cuz my family would be much prowed of me .at least  the family thats around  . Thank God i dont have an creadit cards , I would be so sssssssssoooooooooo far endate . Its been a blessing ,but a curse i think , cuz I would have a creadit score !!! Dr. phil please help

November 13, 2005, 6:53 am CST

Unique Situation

I'm in a very unique situation.  I'm on a Disability Pension.  I get $850 a Month and I'm saving up for a Down Payment to buy a Subsidized Appartment in Western Canada.  I give my Parents $250 a Month for Rent and Cable.  I plan a Budget and make a goal to set aside $300 a Month towards my Down Payment.  The problem is that I have Spending Leaks and I only end up with only $150 to $200 left over by the time I get my next Cheque.  What can I do to stop that from happening? 

November 15, 2005, 12:25 pm CST

This is easy......

Quote From: austingirl

Dear Dr.Phil
I have a bit of a shoping problem . I work 4 days a week . Rent  is about  $400 . I dont have a saving accont , me being 20 and  no creadit cards . My dad my senuer year , gave me $200 a week . Thats a lot of 17-18 year old . And I go to the mall 3days a week . I spend about  $500 at a time . I'm a dancer . And I'm trying to find another job , that pays like Dillards did when i worked thier .
I hoping i could hopefuly  learn not to spend so much . And i want to go back to school , and save for the future  and be secure when the time comes .
 My boyfriend always complains when we go to the mall , cuz i buy everything i see i like !!! He pulls me aside and tells me thier are more important  things then me have bunch of purses that are over $150  a peace , and I love love cell phones !!Yes thoughs nice $300 to $400 dallor phones . I'm getting another line and a more expense phone than the last . I want to work for a cell phone compay  , really bad , and cuz my family would be much prowed of me .at least  the family thats around  . Thank God i dont have an creadit cards , I would be so sssssssssoooooooooo far endate . Its been a blessing ,but a curse i think , cuz I would have a creadit score !!! Dr. phil please help
This is easy- stop going to the mall. Go to the gym, the pool, for a run, hang out with your friends, go to school, work extra hours, but just don't enter the doors of a mall. Take your tips as a dancer and immediately go to the bank and deposit them. Do not carry an ATM card, or your checkbook. GIve yourself an allowance of $20 a day- but friend, just stop going into a store other than a grocery store. Its just a habit, and the longer you continue it, the more of a problem it will be. Take the time for an education. 

November 23, 2005, 10:11 am CST

this may seem like a silly idea.

But honestly, Ebay. I'm not sure if someone's already posted this but if so, then I'll just reiterate the point. I constantly am selling stuff on ebay or shopping for things on there that would cost me twice the price retail. So I'm a huge supporter of ebay, just be careful not to get stuck with the people who are just around to cheat you out of your money. I've been using ebay for years and have yet to come across any, so just be careful. Also, if you decide to use nabit, there is this program that can help you track your bids on your desktop instead of logging into ebay constantly. http://www.getnabit.com/ Check it out, and I hope this helps some people. I know it's been amazing for me and helped me save tons of cash.

November 23, 2005, 9:52 pm CST

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: queentween

Not to discourage you, but I don't think a mechanic would come to your house to diagnose your car without payment...unless its a neighborhood garage where you get all of your work done. Why do you want to have 2 cars? It really is a luxury expense, unless you have 2 drivers that need to get places every day. The electronic systems in modern cars are real devils- and they need the computers to figure out what is wrong- did you check the battery connections? If they are corroded, the car won't start. Did you try to jump it? Is the battery dead? Is the starter the problem? Have you gone on the honda website to try to figure it out? Good luck- I hate dealing with cars- and have had to for years--- 

Hey there, I live in Australia and if I was in your shoes and couldn't afford to get my car fixed because I didn't know what was wrong with it, I'd try selling the car cheaply from home or sell the parts individually, at least that way, you would you might get a little bit of cash back. 

Hope this has helped a little. 

Regards, 

Valerie 

December 6, 2005, 11:10 am CST

I LOVE EBAY!!!!!!

Quote From: candiem301

But honestly, Ebay. I'm not sure if someone's already posted this but if so, then I'll just reiterate the point. I constantly am selling stuff on ebay or shopping for things on there that would cost me twice the price retail. So I'm a huge supporter of ebay, just be careful not to get stuck with the people who are just around to cheat you out of your money. I've been using ebay for years and have yet to come across any, so just be careful. Also, if you decide to use nabit, there is this program that can help you track your bids on your desktop instead of logging into ebay constantly. http://www.getnabit.com/ Check it out, and I hope this helps some people. I know it's been amazing for me and helped me save tons of cash.
I love ebay! I get tons of stuff on there and have just begun selling- they have a new program which makes it easy because I am computer illiterate. For instance: Barbie Dolls- $15 in stores each (or more, usually more) bought a "lot" of barbies on ebay for $23- there were 42 dolls in the lot!!!! $630 new or $23 used. Clothing is cheap, even new stuff. Software, books, we get it all on ebay. Watch out for shipping, but if you go to the mall to buy it, you pay for gas, parking, the item itself, your time, and usually buy some extra stuff. Ebay, I ship in my pjs at 1am with a cup of coffee and my dog......what could be better!!>>>>???

December 6, 2005, 12:33 pm CST

i need some advice

hello everyone, 

i need some advice.  

i'm 32 years old and i've never had any debts. until a few months ago, when i started to build up debts because of my mom. 

my mom sold her house about 7 years ago and got a really good price for it. Now, all the money is gone and she even managed to build up debts. because of the fact that she has to make payments every month to pay off her debts, she kinda obliged me to pay several things for her. i'm paying for her groceries every time and she asks me money a few times a month.  

the thing is, i'm single and i have only about 1,150 euros a month on my paycheck. my mom has a pension of 1,300 euros a month.  

i used to be able to save some money each month. now, i had to give my mom all of my savings plus pay some of her utilities. since i don't make that much money a month, i'm now also in debt and i have no clue how to get out of it. my debt is now about 1,100 euros and my mom still has to pay off about 5,000 euros. it may not seem a lot, but i've never had debts and i'm freaking out. especially because i still have to pay for my mom.  

last month she asked me for money, which i didn't have. turned out she did only pay half her rent. she's renting an appartment of my best friend. when i confronted her with the fact that she didn't pay her rent she just replied "you didn't give me money so i didn't pay the rent". so i immediately took money of my creditcard for her to pay her rent. when i tell her that i'm in debt because of her she just says that it will be better some day.  

next month, she's moving in with me because of her debts. she has now right from the start that i wasn't fond of that idea and that i might even move to another area myself within a few months. but she still gave notice, knowing that i wouldn't let her live on the streets. so now, i can't even move myself, allthough i was supposed to move in with my best friend.  

i asked my mom how it's possible to get in so much debt and she said that WE are living a life WE can't afford. i have nothing to do with it, but she makes me feel like she's in debt because of me. she used to go to switzerland twice a year for two months but she doesn't feel like that's the thing that got her into debt.  

yesterday, she asked me for money to pay for christmas eve. she had a budget which she saved for during the year, but she now has used almost all of that money and needs me to pay for it. i don't have it and now i'm scared she won't pay her rent again allthough i told her that i would never speak to her again if she would not pay my friend again. i'm scared that she will ruin the relationship with my friend.  

she knows she gets more money a month than i do, but still expects me to pay for lots of things.  

she and my brother don't get along and she cut him out of her will for as much as she legally can do because she wanted to hurt my brother where it will hurt him the most: money. i told her that she had to change her will again because now she's hurting me. when something happens to her tomorrow, i will be the one who has to may off her debts. she just told me that i just had to refuse the heritage.  

i can't get through to her. i'm so stressed out because of these debts that i get sick all the time. i can't tell my friends because i'm embarassed because of my debts which aren't even my fault. my best friend now thinks i don't want to move in with him and i can't tell him i want to move in because then i would have to tell him about the debts. i've been thinking about selling my car to pay off my debt and my mom's, but i need my car to get to work since there is now public transportation that goes to my working area. i know that if i would tell my friend about the debts, he would pay them off for me, but i don't want that. i couldn't not live with the fact that i'm having debts with a friend. i would feel bad every time i would go out for a drink because i would be spending money that i'd better give him. (allthough i don't even have money to go for a drink right now) 

there are times that i don't eat just in order not to spend money. i don't go out because i can't even afford to pay for a drink. i spend weekends at my friends' house and he keeps asking me to move in. but i can't afford to pay rent for me and him because i wouldn't want to live at his place without paying rent.  

i don't know how to get through to my mom and i have no idea how to pay off my debts. i feel lost and alone and i can't get my life back on tracks because of these debts.  

i need advice on how to pay off my debts, how to get through to my mom that i can't pay for her anymore and how to get rid of the shame i feel about my debts.  

i hope i'm making sence here and i hope that some one can give me some advice.  

December 6, 2005, 3:15 pm CST

caes

Quote From: queentween

Not to discourage you, but I don't think a mechanic would come to your house to diagnose your car without payment...unless its a neighborhood garage where you get all of your work done. Why do you want to have 2 cars? It really is a luxury expense, unless you have 2 drivers that need to get places every day. The electronic systems in modern cars are real devils- and they need the computers to figure out what is wrong- did you check the battery connections? If they are corroded, the car won't start. Did you try to jump it? Is the battery dead? Is the starter the problem? Have you gone on the honda website to try to figure it out? Good luck- I hate dealing with cars- and have had to for years--- 

Hi, My husband is a auto tach at a gm dealer.Keep your eyes open when you are out and about. techs wear their uniforms all the time.If you can find one, just ask them if they do side work. they won't charge you as much as a dealer would, but you get your car fixed. people do it all the time to my husband. He makes pretty good money at it too. Bewarned though you need a dealer tech, not just any  garage mechanic,.some are shadey. And i must tell you having 2 cars  is a great idea, that way if one breaks down, you have one to drive while you get it fixed, so your not stuck. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last