Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2006, 12:03 pm CDT

Great site to save money

Quote From: livnlaugh

I am alwayas looking for tips to get a little bit ahead.  I have enough money to pay the bills and buys the food, but htere is not a whole lot left over at end of the pay period.  I am looking for any kind of tip to help out, because now the car needs to be fixed and the cashola isn't there!

Hi,

I just wanted to share this. The web site at www.michaelellenbogen.com  has some interesting tips. I found one tip that tells you how to save money for teenagers who don’t use a car for 6 months or longer. This is great if you have a son or daughter in college. I save over $800.00. This site has some great free tips. I purchased the book and it's easy to understand.

May 2, 2006, 2:27 pm CDT

I need help getting my Husband to stick to budget

Dr. Phil, Can you give me some help getting my Husband to stick to a budget? I have set down at the computer and lined out a budget based on the income and usually I leave the odd dollars for my Husband to use as he see fit.  I have the bill broken down to a weekly division so that we do not have all of them to pay at one time. I know that it is a woman thing to want things taken care of in an orderly fashion but, the thing is after I have it lined out and printed up so that he can see it he agrees to it but that's as far as it goes. What can I do to get this working before we are in a pit we can't climb out of. N. Montgomery 

May 8, 2006, 4:14 pm CDT

Money Saving Stuff

I have a website at http://gardeningknitter.blogspot.com/.  I put up a lot of my own tips for how I save money.  I've come up with a bunch for saving money and organizing.  It's just a blog, not a money-making enterprise, but it's open for all.  I always ask people to tell me how they're wasting money or time and I try to fix it.  This is the one thing I'm good at.  Just thought I'd offer.

May 20, 2006, 6:55 pm CDT

Great Work!

Quote From: tray00

Every month, I write down all my pay periods and the amount it will be (estimate, but usually pretty close)  

Then under each amount I write down what I need to pay and the amount. 

I even write down the amount I allow myself for spending money. 

If their is anything left over I just write left over and the amount. 

When the pay day comes I go to my computer and I pay everything I was suppose to and then I go to the bank and take out my spending money.  When the spending money is gone I don't allow myself to go and get more.  But I do have money in the bank for such things as milk bread ect. 

The trick is to do this the day you get paid.  IF I go ahead and take money out before I pay my bills, I end up messing up and spending too much and then I don't have enough left for the bills. 

I also bring a caculator when I get groceries and I try to stick to the amount of money I decided on.  I bring the caculator because if I dont' I get scared and dont' spend enough...LOL 

I also contribute a very small amount to an RRSP, it comes out of my account automatically and I have no choice but to make sure the money is in my account.  Also a couple of my house bills come out automatically, which is nice because I am never behind in those bills.   

Great idea!!  I used to use this too and did really well with it but found it very time consuming.  When you have this system down, you might try the next one I did.  I have my paychecks deposited directly into savings.  I have a budget.   I pay myself once a month - the rest stays in savings.  I also have all of my standard bills set up on automatic payment.  I automatically save and keeping track of finances is simplified.

May 23, 2006, 10:50 pm CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

i usually have this notebook of mine wherein i write all my expenses...needs... and wants. in this case i have allotted a budget for each category plus savings of course. and a little penny for my whims :) 

June 1, 2006, 7:19 am CDT

Quote From: bryanweber

Hi,

I just wanted to share this. The web site at www.michaelellenbogen.com  has some interesting tips. I found one tip that tells you how to save money for teenagers who don’t use a car for 6 months or longer. This is great if you have a son or daughter in college. I save over $800.00. This site has some great free tips. I purchased the book and it's easy to understand.

Check out helenshints.com  Lots of great tips on finance, health, beauty cleaning etc 

June 1, 2006, 7:20 am CDT

Great web site to try

Try helenshints.com  This website is run by my aunt and has hints on fitness, health, finances, garbdening and more.   

Give it a try and tell me what you think.   

June 9, 2006, 1:40 pm CDT

The best way of all to save money

The best way of all to save money is to work more!  People go to such lengths, did you ever consider the time it takes to do all those things?  Time is money.  Why waste half an hour doing something that will save you 10 cents?  Imagine if you worked an extra hour of overtime or used your time to study to get a better job?  Wouldn't that be more useful than washing tin foil so it can be used again?  Just put the time you would have put into all the money saving tricks into working or studying for a better life and you will be much better off at the end of the day.       

June 13, 2006, 3:10 pm CDT

Quote From: hamochok

The best way of all to save money is to work more!  People go to such lengths, did you ever consider the time it takes to do all those things?  Time is money.  Why waste half an hour doing something that will save you 10 cents?  Imagine if you worked an extra hour of overtime or used your time to study to get a better job?  Wouldn't that be more useful than washing tin foil so it can be used again?  Just put the time you would have put into all the money saving tricks into working or studying for a better life and you will be much better off at the end of the day.       

Is a better life, leaving your children in day care?  Is a better life getting up every morning getting everyone, including yourself off to day care, school, work?  Then coming home rushing to fix supper, help with homework, and do housework.  Hm-m-m, maybe if I pay a baby sitter I can work even more hours and afford a maid!   Is a better life slaving 40 to 70 hours a week so you can have an RV or camper or fancy car to impress your friends?  Is a better life slaving 40 to 70 hours a week so you can have your toenails done and hair done at a fancy salon so you can impress your friends? 

Not everyone can work.  What about young mothers whose husbands are in the military?  They  may be stationed in the middle of the Majave desert and not a place to work for miles around.  Once, many years ago, my husband  was stationed there.  I know.  Some are disabled.  I kind of get the idea that you are young and haven't been down life's road for very long. 

I have found that it often costs more to work than to stay home.  When I quit my job to help get my kids through their turbulent teen years, I remember we got a $5000 income tax return.  Wow!  that was half my salary back then.  I should have quit sooner.  Later, I went back to school and earned my college degree.  I worked for 12 years and have recently retired.  I'm doing just fine, but not everyone is so lucky.  People get sick.  People have sick family members to take care of.  People cannot work for many reasons.   

Todays society is way too materialistic.  Thanks to all my husband and my frugality and the Lord, we are living the good life.  My forturnate financial conditions does not negate the circumstances of others.  This message board is a place to help others and to share what you have learned so that all our lives can be improved.  We don't need sarcasm. 

I hope you will rethink your post. 

jl4ever 

June 18, 2006, 3:02 pm CDT

Trigreen's Money Saving Tips

1.  Pay cash.  You don't need a credit card, and you especially don't need one on you.   Paying cash will limit how much you spend.    

2.  Don't use credit cards.  Even if you always pay the amout due, credit cards companies have been known to charge bogus late fees and other fees.   The protection plans they offer, often due nothing for you and are simply a way for them to get you to hand over more money or no additonal services.   

3.  Get your money out of a bank and into a credit union.   On average credit unions charge less fees.   

4.  Before you buy something ask yourself if you really need it.   

5.  Don't buy cheap stuff, that will break and need to constantly be replaced.  This is one of the biggest mistakes of consumers, buying cheap stuff at supposed discount stores only to have the stuff break and need to be replaced in half the time a quality item that doesn't even cost twice as much would need to be replaced in.    

6.  Don't buy a gas guzzler.   

7.  And I will say it again pay cash! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last