Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 1, 2006, 4:30 am CDT

Save 2-20% on shopping.

I found a site that pays it's members 2%-20% to shop at select stores online.

There are over 200 namebrand stores they are affiliated with, and I have found that I have been able to save quite a bit each month by a) doing shopping I was already doing online through this site instead and b) buying more of what I need online.

The website doesn't cost anything to join or to be a member, and there are no commission fees or charges or anything like that, they actually make thei money from the stores who pay they to drive more customers to their online shopping pages. So it's a win-win for everyone.

If you'd like to learn more you can go here, http://www.treasuretrooper.com/99731
register, and click on cash shopping.
There is also a set of forums there to help with any questions.

July 2, 2006, 5:55 pm CDT

Living Trusts and Probate

Here's some real money saving advice: be sure your aging parent signs a living trust as opposed to a will or nothing at all.  Aging parents born before WWII grew up in a much different economy and a set of inheritance laws that are out of date.  All the states have switched to living trusts, replacing wills.  If you have a will or no will at all, you are stuck having to go to Probate Court.  A living trust transfers the title and accounts to you without expensive court processes.  I am in Probate Court right now because my mother didn't want to sign anything.  She hated the idea of signing legal documents.  She said "you can have everything" and believed that it would just pass to me.  She was 93 and grew up on a farm.  I have to take the hit to the tune of about $100,000 in fees and costs to probate her estate in court.  We are punished where other families with more willing parents keep themselves current.  And of course, the great state of California and their legislature, made sure they are about 100 years behind the times.   They refuse to update their probate laws consistent to the rest of the nation.  It takes a year to probate in California and a month or two everywhere else.  And Probate lawyers fees are fixed by the Bar association and the legislature.  They get a commission based fee based on the amount of the estate.  They do relatively little other than file papers and get paid enormous amounts.  And they are in bed with real estate agents who want to get an additional commission to liquidate the property under court order.  And as if this wasn't enough: you get hit by appraisers who under-appraise so they can arrange for their friends to buy property and assets cheap.  The worst are antique appraisers.  They come in your house, undervalue your antiques, buy them for pennies on the dollar, then sell them on Ebay or ship them to Europe for sale.  The whole dang system is corrupt.  there is no need for wills any longer.  If one person can have a living trust, then that should be the standard norm.  Nobody should have a choice whether or not they want a will or a trust.  And if they haven't signed one by the time they reach 80, it should automatically roll to the same people named by state law as inheritors.  If Dr. Phil wants a show on this, I'll bring my video tapes and evidence.

July 4, 2006, 1:22 pm CDT

Credit Cards are Evil

Quote From: mozette197

I used to spend up to $145 on shopping alone per fortnight.  Now, I spend around $90 (this is in Australian dollars).  What I did was get myself a second pantry.  This doesn't have to be anything fancy; an old air-conditioner box, children's waredrobe with a lock or another cupboard in the kitchen you haven't used.  In this pantry, stockpile some food that's unperishable.  It'll take about 6-12 months to get it working properly.  But with me being on a pension, it has its benefits.  I also had a good hard look at what I was eating and what went to waste.  I looked at home brand items - which are usually a lot cheaper than name-brand items - and they have the same ingredients.  I don't eat out, I have my own vegetable and herb garden - all in pots and in the ground as well - and I have learnt to buy my dvds and records (vinyls) second hand thus making things a lot cheaper.  I love to read, and so 90% of my books are bought at garage sales and library sales.  With a little bit of cutting back, you can also keep the money you want where you need it - in your back pocket.  I also have two savings accounts where money it automatically moved by the bank into those accounts.  They are passbook accounts where I have to go into the bank to get money out.  I don't own a credit card - they are the evil of all humans!  I used to when I travelled but I put money into it first then spent it because it was mine.  Now, I use my own cash and send back the credit cards offered to me with 'Thank you but not interested in debt' on the envelope. Learn to make all the sweets you want to eat and put all the change you have into a tin or money box that you can get into for little things and luxuries only.  I have a Milo tin full of change where I get money for bus fare and bread and milk out.  It's better than using my keycard ( which isn't a credit card) and I save on bank fees.  Hope this helps.

You sound very smart.  I too do not use credit cards and I too enjoy sending the credit card offers back to make the evil credit card companies have to pay for sending me their rip off credit cards.   Better yet if you stuff them with heavy things the post office will charge them extra money.  Credit card companies will charge you late fees even when you are not late and throw away the envelopes so that you cannot contest it.  In particular Citibank and Capitol One are notorious for being particularly huge liers and doing all sorts of things that are either illegal or should be illegal.  Citibank stole 200 hundred dollars from me and Capitol One signed me up for a credit card without my permission.   A lot of people are also completely out of control with credit cards.  I get sick of waiting for hours in line behind people who are charging $1 items on credit cards.   And one the topic of banking I strongly recommend anyone reading this get your money out of the bank and into a credit union.  In many urban and some suburban areas there is a credit union that you can join based simply of the fact that you live and/or work in a certain area.    

With dry/can goods I try to buy what is on sale if I know it is something I will use at a later date.   

I'm trying the garden thing.  So far it hasn't worked to well.    

July 8, 2006, 12:04 pm CDT

Need Vacation

My family hasn't been on a vacation of any kind in 6 years. How do people have real week long vacations anywhere at todays prices? We have no credit cards, so our debt is only the basics. I can't seem to save more than a movie date night a week!  I have 2 part time jobs and a fulltime one. My husband works 70-80 hours a week driving truck. Need some thoughts on the subject!  

July 8, 2006, 7:24 pm CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: 123cheryl

My family hasn't been on a vacation of any kind in 6 years. How do people have real week long vacations anywhere at todays prices? We have no credit cards, so our debt is only the basics. I can't seem to save more than a movie date night a week!  I have 2 part time jobs and a fulltime one. My husband works 70-80 hours a week driving truck. Need some thoughts on the subject!  

When my kids were younger and we didn't make much money, we bought camping gear at garage sales.  Almost every weekend during the summer, we went camping at a lake near our home.  We all had great fun doing that. 

As I got older, we bought a used camper and go to the beach.  The camp grounds at the beach cost 1/3 less than the hotels.  They have camp sites in the shade and restrooms with hot and cold running water and clean showers.  Now that the kids are grown, we rent a small camper/trailer at the beach campgrounds.  They are actually pretty fancy.  We schedule our vacations for when the rates go down.  This year we are staying one week and the cost for the whole week is $518. 

My husband has to call into work almost every day and spend an hour or two resolving work problems.  If you are working 2 part-time jobs and a full time job and your husband is working full time also, perhaps you two should keep a list of where the money goes every month.  Then make a budget.  If you look hard enough, you will find a leak somewhere. 

There are some great tips on this message board for budgeting.  We never buy new cars.  We increased the deductible on our insurance (auto and home) to $1000.  This makes our insurance premiums less.  We always pay our credit card off every month and therefore never pay interest.  We heat our home with a wood stove.  We have a regular gas furnace for back up.  The wood is gathered off the sides of streets where people have cut a tree down and put it there for the garbage people to pick up.  We save for all our regular bills out of each paycheck.  When we get extra money, we put it aside (savings) for emergency and vacations.   

We use a credit card and get 1 mile air flight for every dollar spent.  This has given us many free flights for out of town trips. 

When we go vacation, we usually eat out at night only once or twice.  We go to the local seafood places and buy fresh seafood almost every afternoon.  We make a production out of cooking at our camp site and eating very well.  We have eaten lobster, shrimp, crabs, scallops for a fraction of the cost of what other people are paying at the vacation spot restaurants.  We eat lunch and breakfast at the campsite also.  Occassionally, if we are out siteseeing, we may eat out a lunch or two.  These lunches are usually light lunches and don't cost much. 

Hope this helps some. 

jl4ever 

July 9, 2006, 2:43 am CDT

Vacation tips

Quote From: jl4ever

When my kids were younger and we didn't make much money, we bought camping gear at garage sales.  Almost every weekend during the summer, we went camping at a lake near our home.  We all had great fun doing that. 

As I got older, we bought a used camper and go to the beach.  The camp grounds at the beach cost 1/3 less than the hotels.  They have camp sites in the shade and restrooms with hot and cold running water and clean showers.  Now that the kids are grown, we rent a small camper/trailer at the beach campgrounds.  They are actually pretty fancy.  We schedule our vacations for when the rates go down.  This year we are staying one week and the cost for the whole week is $518. 

My husband has to call into work almost every day and spend an hour or two resolving work problems.  If you are working 2 part-time jobs and a full time job and your husband is working full time also, perhaps you two should keep a list of where the money goes every month.  Then make a budget.  If you look hard enough, you will find a leak somewhere. 

There are some great tips on this message board for budgeting.  We never buy new cars.  We increased the deductible on our insurance (auto and home) to $1000.  This makes our insurance premiums less.  We always pay our credit card off every month and therefore never pay interest.  We heat our home with a wood stove.  We have a regular gas furnace for back up.  The wood is gathered off the sides of streets where people have cut a tree down and put it there for the garbage people to pick up.  We save for all our regular bills out of each paycheck.  When we get extra money, we put it aside (savings) for emergency and vacations.   

We use a credit card and get 1 mile air flight for every dollar spent.  This has given us many free flights for out of town trips. 

When we go vacation, we usually eat out at night only once or twice.  We go to the local seafood places and buy fresh seafood almost every afternoon.  We make a production out of cooking at our camp site and eating very well.  We have eaten lobster, shrimp, crabs, scallops for a fraction of the cost of what other people are paying at the vacation spot restaurants.  We eat lunch and breakfast at the campsite also.  Occassionally, if we are out siteseeing, we may eat out a lunch or two.  These lunches are usually light lunches and don't cost much. 

Hope this helps some. 

jl4ever 

WE Have tried most of what you have suggested, but a few we haven't. My husband hates camping, but we will give some of the other thoughts a try. Thank you! 

Cheryl 

July 9, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

Beware Rewards Cards

Quote From: jl4ever

Hope this helps some. 

jl4ever 

I used to have a no rewards (aka rewards) card from a evil terrorist cell named Citibank/Citicards.   They lied to me about the card completely, and when I asked where my rewards were kept on lying.   I never saw a dime from them.  Worse than that these thieves stole 200 dollars from me.   From what I later learned it appears they use one of most messed up screw with your mind techniques in the books.  In order to confuse people they actually give some people the rewards they are suppossed to get some of the time while not giving them to others.  Never use citicards.  I don't trust other credit card companies either.  The amount you will get in rewards is small to the amount of money the corporate thieves who run the credit card companies can steal from you.   They can and do play all kinds of mind games with you.  They can charge you late payments even when you are not late.  Unless you send every payment by certified mail you will have no way to dispute it.  If you ever forget to pay they can also charge you ridiculous amounts of interest.  You don't even have to ever have made any mistakes before with the one credit card company, they can cite other payment mistakes with other companies.   Keep this in mind before you use a credit card.    

Also keep in mind that if you use a credit card the government/business etc.  can track where you have been and your patterns.  While I am not doing anything illegal, I still want my privacy.     

This is why I pay cash.   

And otherwise good advice.   You should definetly try to figure out where the money is going.  I can almost guarentee if you keep a log and make yourself write down everything you spend for one week you will be suprised and just keeping the log will make you aware of your behavior and likely cause changes in it.  So will paying cash for everything.     

July 9, 2006, 7:59 pm CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: trigreen

I used to have a no rewards (aka rewards) card from a evil terrorist cell named Citibank/Citicards.   They lied to me about the card completely, and when I asked where my rewards were kept on lying.   I never saw a dime from them.  Worse than that these thieves stole 200 dollars from me.   From what I later learned it appears they use one of most messed up screw with your mind techniques in the books.  In order to confuse people they actually give some people the rewards they are suppossed to get some of the time while not giving them to others.  Never use citicards.  I don't trust other credit card companies either.  The amount you will get in rewards is small to the amount of money the corporate thieves who run the credit card companies can steal from you.   They can and do play all kinds of mind games with you.  They can charge you late payments even when you are not late.  Unless you send every payment by certified mail you will have no way to dispute it.  If you ever forget to pay they can also charge you ridiculous amounts of interest.  You don't even have to ever have made any mistakes before with the one credit card company, they can cite other payment mistakes with other companies.   Keep this in mind before you use a credit card.    

Also keep in mind that if you use a credit card the government/business etc.  can track where you have been and your patterns.  While I am not doing anything illegal, I still want my privacy.     

This is why I pay cash.   

And otherwise good advice.   You should definetly try to figure out where the money is going.  I can almost guarentee if you keep a log and make yourself write down everything you spend for one week you will be suprised and just keeping the log will make you aware of your behavior and likely cause changes in it.  So will paying cash for everything.     

Good points!  I, too, am trying to get away from the credit card.  We have more air miles than we can use as my husband flies a lot on business.  We mostly use our debit card, but my husband hasn't gotten accustomed to using the debit card yet.  I go online almost every day and check my credit card and subtract it from our checking account.  I also keep track of my debit card charges this way.  That way, when the bill is due, the money is set aside.  I have heard a lot of bad things about Citi bank.  The only good thing I know about them is that they offer higher rates on their CD's.  I usually go online and print off their savings rates and go to my bank and show them.  They match it all the time or offer better.  Note that Wachovia (I've heard it called "walk all over you bank) will not match it.  Dave Ramsey at daveramsey.com has some excellent suggestions as to how to get out of debt and save. 

July 11, 2006, 3:31 pm CDT

credit card

Quote From: trigreen

This is why I pay cash.   

I just had to reply to your message, mainly because of the "evil terriost Citibank/Citicard" comment.  I personally use 2 different credit cards, the "evil" one & a skymiles with Amex.  The skymiles I use for everything I would write a check for & record it in my checkbook as if it were a check---then it's paid off at the end of every month, therefore no interest.  There are 6 members of our family flying to Disney World in March of next year, paid for with the skymiles.  The "evil" card we made a very large purchase with (over ten thousand) & are paying a whopping 2.9% interest.  No other purchaces will be made on this card until it is totaly paid off because your payments will always go to the lowest rate first--not the oldest.  As far as forgetting to make a payment---how long would you go for your employrer forgetting to give you a paycheck.  Late fees, etc. it's all in the fine print--and yes it's definately fine.  Use it--don't abuse it--& a credit card can be a great help.                      

July 13, 2006, 11:48 am CDT

Great ideas

Quote From: tfitzmauro

I started using a calculator to shop in 1984.  It works especially well at the supermarket.  Determine what you can spend, tally as you go (allowing for tax to be added on some items) and you'll be amazed at the number of impulse items you won't buy. 

Shop the clearance sales and racks for clothes, especially at really good stores.  The bargains are great.  Thrift & Resale shops carry more than you think. 

I have yet to be able to impliment them all.  But as I follow the path, it gets easier and easier.  I just thought I would let everyone know, this is a reachable goal, 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last