Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 13, 2006, 7:15 pm CDT

Really good buyes in the department stores now

Shopping at the really good stores now is a great time.  For instances, I went to Dillard's, and some of the racks was 75% off. Really cute stuff, for $5.00 and $7.00, you couldn't buy it that cheap at Wal-Mart. Within the next two weeks the department stores are trying to move all the summer stuff to make room for the winter things. Good time for Christmas gift buying, if you know the right size.

July 14, 2006, 6:11 pm CDT

Walmart isn't a cheap store

Quote From: linda12k

Shopping at the really good stores now is a great time.  For instances, I went to Dillard's, and some of the racks was 75% off. Really cute stuff, for $5.00 and $7.00, you couldn't buy it that cheap at Wal-Mart. Within the next two weeks the department stores are trying to move all the summer stuff to make room for the winter things. Good time for Christmas gift buying, if you know the right size.

They just claim they are.  In fact, when some people tried to do a price comparison study they were conveinently chased out of the store by the Walmart KBG (managers).   

Like you stated one of the best ways to buy is sale items during the non-holiday season.  Factory stores are another good option.    So are thrift stores, many of which carry far better quality hardly used items that will last far longer than anything you could buy at Walmart, Kmart, or Target.    

July 14, 2006, 6:25 pm CDT

Good for you

Quote From: jl4ever

Good points!  I, too, am trying to get away from the credit card.  We have more air miles than we can use as my husband flies a lot on business.  We mostly use our debit card, but my husband hasn't gotten accustomed to using the debit card yet.  I go online almost every day and check my credit card and subtract it from our checking account.  I also keep track of my debit card charges this way.  That way, when the bill is due, the money is set aside.  I have heard a lot of bad things about Citi bank.  The only good thing I know about them is that they offer higher rates on their CD's.  I usually go online and print off their savings rates and go to my bank and show them.  They match it all the time or offer better.  Note that Wachovia (I've heard it called "walk all over you bank) will not match it.  Dave Ramsey at daveramsey.com has some excellent suggestions as to how to get out of debt and save. 

It will also save you time to get away from the credit cards.  Since I mainly use cash w/checks second, I almost never have to sit around and figure out financial stuff.  It is self-evident when you are getting low on cash, but it much harder to figure out when you are overspending on a credit card.   I would not suggest anyone use Citibank for anything as they have been known to frequently have people's personal information get stolen.   Wachovia is bad too, are many of the other big banks.   And even worse the government is letting them get away with corporate crime.    

This is why I recommend credit unions.  You can usually join a credit union based on location.   When a study was done credit unions had on average better rates and less fees than banks.  Actually now that I think of it, putting your money in a credit union is a pretty good money saving technique in itself.     

There are a lot of people in denial about their credit card use.  They defend them because they are addicted to buying things.  One day it is 2.9 percent interest, the next day it is 12.9, and the next 32.9.   It is sad what shopping addiction does to people.   By the way the reason I refer to Citibank is terrorist is because of their connections with Al Queda, among other things.    

July 15, 2006, 2:08 am CDT

Some of my newly learned saving tips and tricks

1. Go to your credit union and ask to open up 4 or 5 new savings accounts. My credit union allows you to have a maximum of 9 saving accounts. (They arn't afraid of you saving money.) You typically need to keep $50 to $100 dollars in each new saving account opened, and they all are kinda the children of your primary saving/shares account. You can even name these accounts anything you want. (I named one of my accounts "Lap-Top Fund for Dad." another I named "Home Fund") Each pay-day transfer $5 to $25 to each acccount according to which drives you more. If you feel like you want your movie fund account to be higher, transfer over $10. If you want your Car Fund to be fatter, transfer over $50 dollars. Just make sure you transfer over only the money you have set aside for this saving goal. YOU REALLY MUST ALLOCATE THIS MONEY OFF THE TOP BEFORE PAYING ANY BILLS OR IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! As these saving accounts fill up you will feel so satisfied and happy and you'll also have money to fall back on in case something silly or bad happens and you can kinda use this money as your own credit card. (Each time you need to use this money, charge yourself interest, say 10% or more. Be brutal! Heck, the credit card companies charge much more. Also, charge yourself a membership fee on top of all this, called the : "Savings Fund Membership Fee Charge." and allocate $100 to various funds once a year or month, depending on how excited you feel.  

2. Remember to set a target goal and fallback goal on each fund or just determine if the fund will constantly grow or be rotated, etc. For example: my "Car Fund" just keeps growing and shrinking, depending on problems and or smooth sailing with my vehicle. My "Home Fund" just keeps getting bigger and I can borrow from it like a credit card, of course paying back 15% interest. I'm a brutal banker, lol. When you reach the desired amount of money you need to save, including shipping, fees, taxes, travel costs, go out, buy the desired item and don't you even spend a second feeling guilty. YOU EARNED THAT ITEM AND YOU ENJOY EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF  THE FEELING OF EMPOWERMENT IN KNOWING YOU DIDN'T SPEND A DIME INTO DEBT!!! Walk out the store, mall, or into the theatre or concert knowing you saved up for this fun and you are the woman/man/child. You really can control how you purchase items if you plan ahead.  

3. Once you get the hang of saving up for items before you purchase them, you'll run into the "Wall" and "Hordes". The "Wall" is the emotional, mental and physical need you have to spend and not succeed. You respond to the "Wall" like you just ran into a real wall. You don't want to save and you want everything now. Resist with all your might. The "Hordes" are all the people who want you to spend, spend, spend...You will find the "Hordes" very difficult to defeat. Remember, you are out to win the war, and not every battle will be won.  

July 16, 2006, 5:33 pm CDT

Also keep in mind

Quote From: jl4ever

Good points!  I, too, am trying to get away from the credit card.  We have more air miles than we can use as my husband flies a lot on business.  We mostly use our debit card, but my husband hasn't gotten accustomed to using the debit card yet.  I go online almost every day and check my credit card and subtract it from our checking account.  I also keep track of my debit card charges this way.  That way, when the bill is due, the money is set aside.  I have heard a lot of bad things about Citi bank.  The only good thing I know about them is that they offer higher rates on their CD's.  I usually go online and print off their savings rates and go to my bank and show them.  They match it all the time or offer better.  Note that Wachovia (I've heard it called "walk all over you bank) will not match it.  Dave Ramsey at daveramsey.com has some excellent suggestions as to how to get out of debt and save. 
That rewards cards exist for a reason.  They exist to give positive reinforcement to negative behaviors such as overspending and shopacholicism.    We have to remember that we are animals and subject to psychological conditioning.  If you get a reward for overspending you will be more likely to do it, even if it is just a little bit.   While people ultimately think a rewards card is saving them money because of a few freebies, this is simply a trick of the mind, because ultimately they have been conditioned by the card to make more purchases (therefore actually saving less money) than they would otherwise.  

July 18, 2006, 3:43 am CDT

5 Money MIstakes not to make at Work

1. Mistake: Never, ever participate in an office party where you are required to bring a dish.  

Why?: You will never be satisfied with the little dish you bring and probably go out and buy the biggest bucket of chicken   

or entree dish you can find at a cost of $20.00 or more. Steer clear!!  

Frugal: Volunteer to be the entertainment. Bring a DVD player and CD player and entertain the masses with music and  

movies. You'll be the hero who rescued the boring party and eat for free!   

Cheap: showing up at the party with nothing and making up some lame excuse that you forgot your dish. Lame!!!   

2. Mistake: Never give to an office collection being passed around to help a co-worker.  

Why?: You do not know if the person will even appreciate this guesture, nor do you really know how much of the money   

will actually make it to the intended person(s).  

Frugal: Make a card, write a poem and read it at the memorial or in front of assembled co-workers. Mean what you say.  

Cheap: Giving less than five dollars. Yes, I said it. Less than $5.00 is very cheap. Just skip the donation if you are  

strapped. Don't embarrass yourself by giving $.84. That might insult the collector and others.  

3. Mistake: Do not gamble ever!!!  

Why?: It is illegal and a waste of time. You might get fired or be stung by an undercover. You should invest that cash  

in your savings account.  

Frugal: If you must have the feel of gambling. Get a card or play-sheet and play for fun to see if you would have   

won. If you're going to gamble, gamble for a soda or lunch or a kiss. Never money.  

Cheap: Sharing a football square with 3 or more people. What are you doing? Just don't gamble. What if someone  

turns you in!  

4. Mistake: Never, ever, never buy anything valuable from a co-worker.  

Why?: Duh..What if they rip you off? Then what? You'll hate them and still have to work with them.   

Frugal: Thoroughly examine anything you plan on buying from a co-worker and agree on paper that if it doesn't  

work, you'll get your money back...say after 30 days. Try before you buy, always!! Take that car out to a  

mechanic and make sure she runs well. Get a receipt. No five-finger-discouts or fell-off-the-back-of-the-  

truck-fire-sales.  

Cheap: Agreeing to buy something from a reputable co-worker and going back on the deal. Foul play!!  

5. Mistake: Having sex with a co-worker and showing it off.  

Why?: You will not be respected and be known as a "slut". Male or female. Your rep will suffer. Everyone will  

be talking about you forever.  

Frugal: Have only friendly or casual relationships with co-workers. Never give anyone money and never promise  

anything. Do not mess with couples or married individuals. It will cost you.  

Cheap: Scandalously picking up on strays here and there and catching rebounds. You will reap what you   

sow, trust me!!! Sex isn't everything. Keep your personal life outside of work.  

July 28, 2006, 5:33 am CDT

Inexpensive Ways to have fun

Anybody have some inexpensive ways to have fun to share?  These ideas can run from little things you do for a diversion, such as visit the library, to things you and your family do for entertainment.  

August 1, 2006, 2:15 am CDT

Try this...

I've found it difficult to trick kids out of wanting lots of stuff. But, these are a couple of saturday/sunday afternoon games I made up that are totally free and require only time, imagination and a few common household objects and materials.

1. Code-breaker. You basically write lots of cyrptic clues all over different pieces of paper and hide them around your house. As your kids find the papers, they must solve and decipher the clues to solve the mystery of the code. You can be the mysterious code villain who planted all these silly clues and you can devise fun and chaotic games to test your kids knowledge, reflexes, speed, intelligence, etc. You can plan indoors or outdoors. The keys is to have a suitable reward ready at the ending. Say: freshly baked chocolate chips cookies, or a trip to the park. Make sure you put pressure on the kiddos to solve the mystery as a team and punish them with hard task to perfom if they do not work as a team and reward them with clues if they work together seemlessly.

2. Water Simon-Says. Same as the regular Simon-Says, just add water. Mess up and you get watered-down. Literally.!!! lol.

3. Scrap books. Start going to free places and snagging free brochures and booklets, stickers, etc and putting them in scrap books. Your kiddos can find leaves, articles, pictures and place them in the scrap book. Keep it going for a few months and then start a new scrap book with different types of activities. Store all your scrap books in a old container and keep it ready to look over on a quiet, rainy day.

4. Go to as many free places around town as you can. My record is 11. Let your kiddos buy one item in each place for under a quarter, if possible. After the day is over, everyone puts all there loot in one pile and discusses where they got the food, candy, etc and shares with the whole group some of the special goody. Stops on your journey can be Costco (free samples), Wallmart (free samples), the mall, street fairs, hospital exihibits, candy stores have cheap items, grandmas house (call first), fire department (take a tour), police station (take a tour, lol), the wharf. Eventually, you be able to get the kiddos to visit museums, libraries and historical landmarks. Ah, yes... Education is the goal.

5. Water Twister. See above.

August 1, 2006, 7:01 am CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: mikegray

I've found it difficult to trick kids out of wanting lots of stuff. But, these are a couple of saturday/sunday afternoon games I made up that are totally free and require only time, imagination and a few common household objects and materials.

1. Code-breaker. You basically write lots of cyrptic clues all over different pieces of paper and hide them around your house. As your kids find the papers, they must solve and decipher the clues to solve the mystery of the code. You can be the mysterious code villain who planted all these silly clues and you can devise fun and chaotic games to test your kids knowledge, reflexes, speed, intelligence, etc. You can plan indoors or outdoors. The keys is to have a suitable reward ready at the ending. Say: freshly baked chocolate chips cookies, or a trip to the park. Make sure you put pressure on the kiddos to solve the mystery as a team and punish them with hard task to perfom if they do not work as a team and reward them with clues if they work together seemlessly.

2. Water Simon-Says. Same as the regular Simon-Says, just add water. Mess up and you get watered-down. Literally.!!! lol.

3. Scrap books. Start going to free places and snagging free brochures and booklets, stickers, etc and putting them in scrap books. Your kiddos can find leaves, articles, pictures and place them in the scrap book. Keep it going for a few months and then start a new scrap book with different types of activities. Store all your scrap books in a old container and keep it ready to look over on a quiet, rainy day.

4. Go to as many free places around town as you can. My record is 11. Let your kiddos buy one item in each place for under a quarter, if possible. After the day is over, everyone puts all there loot in one pile and discusses where they got the food, candy, etc and shares with the whole group some of the special goody. Stops on your journey can be Costco (free samples), Wallmart (free samples), the mall, street fairs, hospital exihibits, candy stores have cheap items, grandmas house (call first), fire department (take a tour), police station (take a tour, lol), the wharf. Eventually, you be able to get the kiddos to visit museums, libraries and historical landmarks. Ah, yes... Education is the goal.

5. Water Twister. See above.

Excellent Ideas !!!!!!!! I have a 12 year old son and in the summer it's hard to come up with ideas after a while. We have a big lake that surrounds a golf course, taking the kids fishing, the only cost was a container of worms. Living in a small town, you have got to come up with ideas to keep them busy.

Linda

August 5, 2006, 10:22 pm CDT

Money Feature on Television on Monday Aug. 7th

Tune in to the Today Show Monday Aug. 7th to see a feature on teaching kids about financial literacy.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last