Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2005, 6:11 am CST

My Sympathy

Quote From: annabel999

hello everyone, 

i need some advice.  

i'm 32 years old and i've never had any debts. until a few months ago, when i started to build up debts because of my mom. 

my mom sold her house about 7 years ago and got a really good price for it. Now, all the money is gone and she even managed to build up debts. because of the fact that she has to make payments every month to pay off her debts, she kinda obliged me to pay several things for her. i'm paying for her groceries every time and she asks me money a few times a month.  

the thing is, i'm single and i have only about 1,150 euros a month on my paycheck. my mom has a pension of 1,300 euros a month.  

i used to be able to save some money each month. now, i had to give my mom all of my savings plus pay some of her utilities. since i don't make that much money a month, i'm now also in debt and i have no clue how to get out of it. my debt is now about 1,100 euros and my mom still has to pay off about 5,000 euros. it may not seem a lot, but i've never had debts and i'm freaking out. especially because i still have to pay for my mom.  

last month she asked me for money, which i didn't have. turned out she did only pay half her rent. she's renting an appartment of my best friend. when i confronted her with the fact that she didn't pay her rent she just replied "you didn't give me money so i didn't pay the rent". so i immediately took money of my creditcard for her to pay her rent. when i tell her that i'm in debt because of her she just says that it will be better some day.  

next month, she's moving in with me because of her debts. she has now right from the start that i wasn't fond of that idea and that i might even move to another area myself within a few months. but she still gave notice, knowing that i wouldn't let her live on the streets. so now, i can't even move myself, allthough i was supposed to move in with my best friend.  

i asked my mom how it's possible to get in so much debt and she said that WE are living a life WE can't afford. i have nothing to do with it, but she makes me feel like she's in debt because of me. she used to go to switzerland twice a year for two months but she doesn't feel like that's the thing that got her into debt.  

yesterday, she asked me for money to pay for christmas eve. she had a budget which she saved for during the year, but she now has used almost all of that money and needs me to pay for it. i don't have it and now i'm scared she won't pay her rent again allthough i told her that i would never speak to her again if she would not pay my friend again. i'm scared that she will ruin the relationship with my friend.  

she knows she gets more money a month than i do, but still expects me to pay for lots of things.  

she and my brother don't get along and she cut him out of her will for as much as she legally can do because she wanted to hurt my brother where it will hurt him the most: money. i told her that she had to change her will again because now she's hurting me. when something happens to her tomorrow, i will be the one who has to may off her debts. she just told me that i just had to refuse the heritage.  

i can't get through to her. i'm so stressed out because of these debts that i get sick all the time. i can't tell my friends because i'm embarassed because of my debts which aren't even my fault. my best friend now thinks i don't want to move in with him and i can't tell him i want to move in because then i would have to tell him about the debts. i've been thinking about selling my car to pay off my debt and my mom's, but i need my car to get to work since there is now public transportation that goes to my working area. i know that if i would tell my friend about the debts, he would pay them off for me, but i don't want that. i couldn't not live with the fact that i'm having debts with a friend. i would feel bad every time i would go out for a drink because i would be spending money that i'd better give him. (allthough i don't even have money to go for a drink right now) 

there are times that i don't eat just in order not to spend money. i don't go out because i can't even afford to pay for a drink. i spend weekends at my friends' house and he keeps asking me to move in. but i can't afford to pay rent for me and him because i wouldn't want to live at his place without paying rent.  

i don't know how to get through to my mom and i have no idea how to pay off my debts. i feel lost and alone and i can't get my life back on tracks because of these debts.  

i need advice on how to pay off my debts, how to get through to my mom that i can't pay for her anymore and how to get rid of the shame i feel about my debts.  

i hope i'm making sence here and i hope that some one can give me some advice.  

I know where you are coming from- and have been in the same situation. I didn;t choose the right way, I chose the easy way-I just kept paying her debts.  And it never ends...SHe is using you- just as a scam artist would- can you say "Mom, I am moving in 2 months to a better place and I cannot give you any more money because I need to save it for the move."You are a young woman with you rlife ahead of you- she has lived hers and made her choices. IF they were wrong ot right is for her to decide. BUT, you need to move away from her, physically if need be. You sound like a lovely young girl,.don't let your life be ruined by an albatross...

December 10, 2005, 10:17 pm CST

HELLO ANNABEL...

hello everyone, 

i need some advice.  

i'm 32 years old and i've never had any debts. until a few months ago, when i started to build up debts because of my mom. 

my mom sold her house about 7 years ago and got a really good price for it. Now, all the money is gone and she even managed to build up debts. because of the fact that she has to make payments every month to pay off her debts, she kinda obliged me to pay several things for her. i'm paying for her groceries every time and she asks me money a few times a month.  

the thing is, i'm single and i have only about 1,150 euros a month on my paycheck. my mom has a pension of 1,300 euros a month.  

i used to be able to save some money each month. now, i had to give my mom all of my savings plus pay some of her utilities. since i don't make that much money a month, i'm now also in debt and i have no clue how to get out of it. my debt is now about 1,100 euros and my mom still has to pay off about 5,000 euros. it may not seem a lot, but i've never had debts and i'm freaking out. especially because i still have to pay for my mom.  

last month she asked me for money, which i didn't have. turned out she did only pay half her rent. she's renting an appartment of my best friend. when i confronted her with the fact that she didn't pay her rent she just replied "you didn't give me money so i didn't pay the rent". so i immediately took money of my creditcard for her to pay her rent. when i tell her that i'm in debt because of her she just says that it will be better some day.  

next month, she's moving in with me because of her debts. she has now right from the start that i wasn't fond of that idea and that i might even move to another area myself within a few months. but she still gave notice, knowing that i wouldn't let her live on the streets. so now, i can't even move myself, allthough i was supposed to move in with my best friend.  

i asked my mom how it's possible to get in so much debt and she said that WE are living a life WE can't afford. i have nothing to do with it, but she makes me feel like she's in debt because of me. she used to go to switzerland twice a year for two months but she doesn't feel like that's the thing that got her into debt.  

yesterday, she asked me for money to pay for christmas eve. she had a budget which she saved for during the year, but she now has used almost all of that money and needs me to pay for it. i don't have it and now i'm scared she won't pay her rent again allthough i told her that i would never speak to her again if she would not pay my friend again. i'm scared that she will ruin the relationship with my friend.  

she knows she gets more money a month than i do, but still expects me to pay for lots of things.  

she and my brother don't get along and she cut him out of her will for as much as she legally can do because she wanted to hurt my brother where it will hurt him the most: money. i told her that she had to change her will again because now she's hurting me. when something happens to her tomorrow, i will be the one who has to may off her debts. she just told me that i just had to refuse the heritage.  

i can't get through to her. i'm so stressed out because of these debts that i get sick all the time. i can't tell my friends because i'm embarassed because of my debts which aren't even my fault. my best friend now thinks i don't want to move in with him and i can't tell him i want to move in because then i would have to tell him about the debts. i've been thinking about selling my car to pay off my debt and my mom's, but i need my car to get to work since there is now public transportation that goes to my working area. i know that if i would tell my friend about the debts, he would pay them off for me, but i don't want that. i couldn't not live with the fact that i'm having debts with a friend. i would feel bad every time i would go out for a drink because i would be spending money that i'd better give him. (allthough i don't even have money to go for a drink right now) 

there are times that i don't eat just in order not to spend money. i don't go out because i can't even afford to pay for a drink. i spend weekends at my friends' house and he keeps asking me to move in. but i can't afford to pay rent for me and him because i wouldn't want to live at his place without paying rent.  

i don't know how to get through to my mom and i have no idea how to pay off my debts. i feel lost and alone and i can't get my life back on tracks because of these debts.  

i need advice on how to pay off my debts, how to get through to my mom that i can't pay for her anymore and how to get rid of the shame i feel about my debts.  

What you've just written here about what your Mum is putting you through has made me so mad, I can't believe that any loving Mother would do this to their own child. She got herself into debt she should get her own self out of it!! You shouldn't have to pay one cent more of her debts and if I was you I would tell her so. I would also tell her that if she wants to have anything more to do with you then she should stay paying her own debts back and not use you to do it. 

Also, have you got any records to show what these debts are and how much it all is?! If so, then show them to your Mum and say to her, that it's just not good enough that you have to pay for her problems and mistakes, after all they are HER debts NOT yours. I'm sorry if I'm being so harsh but I am just so mad that a Mother has done this to her child. Being a Mum myself, I know that I would NEVER do something like this to my daughter and in the first place I would NEVER get myself in to a debt that I couldn't pay back myself. 

I know that you love your Mum very much and don't want to hurt her in any way, but what she is doing to you so wrong and you need to put your foot down and tell her how you feel and that you don't want to waste any more of your money on her debts. 

Well I'm not sure that what I've said here will be of any help but I do hope it helps you to think about what you really need to do, you have your own life to live and you are old enough to be living away from your Mum. Your Mum is also old enough to know right from wrong, so please do the right thing for yourself, please TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

December 14, 2005, 2:49 pm CST

Saving Money

I know this is boring, but it does work. We will all be getting ready to file our income taxes soon, and some of us will be getting a refund. Before you spend it paying bills, or buying a new sofa, please put it into a Certificate of Deposit at your bank. Yes, the interest is low, but the money is safe. Then, take out a secured loan against it- take that money to pay off your credit cards and high interest bills. You will have to make monthly payments to pay off that loan. These will be 2-4%. When its paid off, it is your money to borrow against a scond time!  WHat will this do for you? 

1. You will establish credit. By making payments every month on this loan, it will look good on your credit score. When its paid off, you will be able to borrow against it at a future time- its like  using your money more than once. 

2.You will save money. Its tough to save, but we all know how to make payments. It reallly is like paying yourself. AND, if you take the money to pay off a credit card that is at 14-18%, you are giving yourself extra money each month> NOW you have to take the credit card and get rid of it- just freeze it in a tub of ice. Seriously- put the card into a tub of water and freeze it. WHen you have the urge to use it, you have to wait for it to thaw- often, by the time its thawed, you've lost the urge to use it! 

3.Next year, do the same thing. After 5 years, you will have saved a LOT of money, and gotten out of a sticky financial situation. After 1 year, when you pay off the loan, it will be like a holiday! 

December 20, 2005, 7:59 am CST

Mom's mess

hello everyone, 

i need some advice.  

If your mom wants to move in with you and you are paying all the bills, tell her she needs to sign over her check to you every month to pay the bills. If she refuses, tell her that she will need to find somewhere else to live. If you have to, check if there are low-income housing areas or someplace that will help her with her debt, because it isn't yours, and then get help for yours if you need to. I know this is a lot easier said than done, especially because she is your mother, but you have to do something before she takes you down with her. You are enabling her just like some parents do to their kids, because she knows that you will pick up the peices no matter what she does. You need to stop this behavior, the sooner the better. You will both be better off for it!  Good luck and please take care of yourself, because obviously no one else will do it for you!  God bless you both! 

December 22, 2005, 7:53 pm CST

$ saving tips:

Saving tip: Don’t Dail 411. Use phone directory instead. $ave $1.25+ per call. 

Don’t buy DVD's. Use Netflix instead. It's cheap. 

Don’t download ringtones. Y waste $3-6 for 10sec. content? 99c+ download cost +tax.  

Before giving  to charity check with --> http://www.give.org *.  

Install a anti-virus/spy-ware on your computer.  

Install a personal firewall to stop uninvited users from accessing your computer.  

Compare, Research & Shop .  

Don’t buy books & Cancel your magazine subriptions.. Use library instead.  

Read Consumer Reports before makin a major purchase.  

Pay credit card bill on time. 

Save $$ using online Coupon Codes ----- > http://www.couponmountain.com * 

Payin bills on time is a key to avoid getting charged late fees etc.. 

Buy everything used except clothes. http://www.half.com *  

Send in your Rebate forms.  

Always use club cards+ coupons. (you should put your real name & your real address on the form incase your keys are lost)  

Don’t buy anti-spyware, virus + personal firewall software. Check out your ISP homepage. Most ISP's offer free software download.  

Watch out for scams. http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm *  

Don’t pay for credit reports. A recent amendment to the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months, from http://www.annualcreditreport.com. *  

Quit cigarettes. 

Use cold water to wash clothes. Try Cold Water Tide you can save 63 bucks a year .... 

Take advantage of ' How to workshops' from your Local Hardware store. 

Load up on sale items next time you go shopping. 

Don't pay for classified Advertising. Many online sites offer Free classified Postings. 

Many good deals are available at your local dollar stores. 

You can request that your phone be blocked from being able to complete calls to all 900 and 976 numbers by calling your Phone Company. Blocking is free for residential lines.  

NO need to pay long distance. Use internet to make free calls. 

Lottery is for the poor & the Greedy. 

Avoid payday Loans It can become a bad habit. 

Planings your trip well saves you $$ 

Legal cost/help 

Don’t pay for checking/saving. Many banks offer free checking/saving. 

Buy used car

Pet insurance 

December 25, 2005, 11:22 pm CST

Blue

Great move about savings. I liked that idea.. this is what I ve done i cut back telephone. Now I  must remind my son about his cell phone plans. 

Can you make saving tip as marriage tips and tricks.?
Any idea for resolutions for year 2006 

January 5, 2006, 1:18 pm CST

Think before you Buy

Is it a need or a want? 

Take your lunch to work. 

Don't buy coffee at Starb**** everyday. 

Buy spices at the health food store (bulk), put them in old spice containers. 

Only buy paper towels, napkins, etc. when on sale. 

Know your prices of everyday things, so you can be sure that it is really on sale. 

Carry a calculator to the store. 

Bigger sizes are not always cheaper. 

Use a calling card for long distance, cancel your "monthly" fee. 

Shop around for car insurance. 

Use your library. 

January 5, 2006, 5:32 pm CST

Calculator

Quote From: cherrypie

Is it a need or a want? 

Take your lunch to work. 

Don't buy coffee at Starb**** everyday. 

Buy spices at the health food store (bulk), put them in old spice containers. 

Only buy paper towels, napkins, etc. when on sale. 

Know your prices of everyday things, so you can be sure that it is really on sale. 

Carry a calculator to the store. 

Bigger sizes are not always cheaper. 

Use a calling card for long distance, cancel your "monthly" fee. 

Shop around for car insurance. 

Use your library. 

I started using a calculator to shop in 1984.  It works especially well at the supermarket.  Determine what you can spend, tally as you go (allowing for tax to be added on some items) and you'll be amazed at the number of impulse items you won't buy. 

Shop the clearance sales and racks for clothes, especially at really good stores.  The bargains are great.  Thrift & Resale shops carry more than you think. 

January 5, 2006, 6:05 pm CST

Tell your mom SORRY

Quote From: kittkatt

If your mom wants to move in with you and you are paying all the bills, tell her she needs to sign over her check to you every month to pay the bills. If she refuses, tell her that she will need to find somewhere else to live. If you have to, check if there are low-income housing areas or someplace that will help her with her debt, because it isn't yours, and then get help for yours if you need to. I know this is a lot easier said than done, especially because she is your mother, but you have to do something before she takes you down with her. You are enabling her just like some parents do to their kids, because she knows that you will pick up the peices no matter what she does. You need to stop this behavior, the sooner the better. You will both be better off for it!  Good luck and please take care of yourself, because obviously no one else will do it for you!  God bless you both! 
You are the daughter. Your mom should help you out when you need it. Tell her you are cutting her off. I think it is absolutly ridiculous for a parent to ask there child for money. It's like you raised your mom not your mom raised you. And she makes more money then you do? That is bogus. Tell her to get another job if she doesn't have the money for everyday things. Sorry if I insulted you, it wasn't my intention. I just know that if my mom asked me to pay for things like that I would be really pissed.

January 28, 2006, 7:18 am CST

Free Budget Kit

It would have been nice to know that Canadians would not be able to get the CD offered on Friday's show. I would like to say that there are more people in this world that just the Americans. What a shame we cannot also benefit from the CD

E. Williams

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last