Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 20, 2007, 8:29 am CDT

Hi

Quote From: trigreen

They sound great for saving money, and great for saving the enviornment as well.   One thing I recently learned is that if you leave electric appliances plugged in they still use some energy.   So I have started unplugging most everything that is not in use.   I used to always leave my microwave plugged in and now I unplug it, as well as other items such as the food processor and can opener.    I also reuse plastic grocery bags as trash bags (in fact I never have to buy any trash bags!).  I also don't use credit cards as if even you try to do everything right, they still often get you anyways and they encourage reckless/over spending.   When one uses cash they are much more aware of the value of the money and once the money is exchange the transaction is over.   

I love saving money too.  Money is not just a means to buying material goods.  Having money saved gives you the freedom of choice.  For example, the place I work has gotten really bad and having money saved has given me to the option to leave.   It has also given me the financial means to move across the country closer to my parents.     It also gives me peace of mind that if a number of crisis were to happen or expenses were to arise that I would be able to afford them without the use of credit which would ultimately cost me much more money (via interest) than what I would pay in cash from savings.     

My problem is with gift cards, so if someone gives one to me, I give it back to them. I always preferred gift certificates since I can make a small purchase and receive cash for the rest. I don't like gift cards since you're converting tendered currency that can be used everywhere into a substandard form of currency that can only be used at a specific place without any incentive (such as an additional 10-20% on the card).

I don't like gift cards because I tend to spend them faster then I spend cash or credit cards. Typically, whenever I make a credit card purchase, I always subtract that purchase from my bank balance. I find that way I always can pay it off at the end of the month and I treat it like money so I spend less.

I honestly think that you can save money by being environmentally conscious. I think it is a great idea.

May 21, 2007, 7:43 pm CDT

How to make $150 actually last 2 weeks

I'm on a fixed income where I only get $150 twice a month. That barely lasts me one week and it's supposed to last me two. That barely gives me enough for food, but I don't drive and I have to take cabs and Dial a Rides everywhere. I've tried to get a job, but no one will hire me anywhere, and I have nowhere else to turn. Any suggestions?

Denise

June 1, 2007, 3:34 am CDT

wow thats not too much

Quote From: fabulousbeauty

I'm on a fixed income where I only get $150 twice a month. That barely lasts me one week and it's supposed to last me two. That barely gives me enough for food, but I don't drive and I have to take cabs and Dial a Rides everywhere. I've tried to get a job, but no one will hire me anywhere, and I have nowhere else to turn. Any suggestions?

Denise

HI just a thought ,do you have money sava strips in the us ie pay for 8 and get 10 rides on the bus? I don't drive and not many people walk here (Oz) at least everyone seems to use the car.I walk about 4ks twice a day 4times a week to take our daughter to kindy. This keeps me fit and I don't pay for the gym. I walk past my friends house and get a free cuppa. Also my daughter loves it because we walk past the park and go on the swings. I'm not saying it's ideal all the time it was very hot in the summer and we have got wet a few times but it's fun too. Maybe someone could give you a lift or teach you to drive and you could save the money you don't spend on the Taxi cabs. I don't know your situation so please forgive me if these tips won't suit.

Also where do you live have you got a roof? $ 150 sounds very little are you on your own or supporting family hope you don't mind the questions but you sound pretty strapped.

If you're on your own I might have more tips we manage on very little and ther are 6 of us.

June 1, 2007, 7:55 pm CDT

RE: No, it's not much.

Quote From: cordicat

HI just a thought ,do you have money sava strips in the us ie pay for 8 and get 10 rides on the bus? I don't drive and not many people walk here (Oz) at least everyone seems to use the car.I walk about 4ks twice a day 4times a week to take our daughter to kindy. This keeps me fit and I don't pay for the gym. I walk past my friends house and get a free cuppa. Also my daughter loves it because we walk past the park and go on the swings. I'm not saying it's ideal all the time it was very hot in the summer and we have got wet a few times but it's fun too. Maybe someone could give you a lift or teach you to drive and you could save the money you don't spend on the Taxi cabs. I don't know your situation so please forgive me if these tips won't suit.

Also where do you live have you got a roof? $ 150 sounds very little are you on your own or supporting family hope you don't mind the questions but you sound pretty strapped.

If you're on your own I might have more tips we manage on very little and ther are 6 of us.

Thanks for the tips, no  we don't have the saver strips here in AZ. And now that it's triple digit weather, it's too hot to do anything. I'm thinking about getting my permit this summer though.

Yes, I do live on my own. Though my sister pays my rent, and everything else. I only have to pay for food, clothes, and transportation. But this month is really testing me. I've got a WWE event end of July, and I've got to pay off an overdraft, plus I'm getting pictures done next week. I'm not gonna even have enough for enough food. I'd like more tips please.

Denise

June 5, 2007, 12:33 am CDT

tips

Thanks for the tips, no  we don't have the saver strips here in AZ. And now that it's triple digit weather, it's too hot to do anything. I'm thinking about getting my permit this summer though.

Yes, I do live on my own. Though my sister pays my rent, and everything else. I only have to pay for food, clothes, and transportation. But this month is really testing me. I've got a WWE event end of July, and I've got to pay off an overdraft, plus I'm getting pictures done next week. I'm not gonna even have enough for enough food. I'd like more tips please.

Denise

Hi Denise

explain a little more to me .......whats a wwe event and pictures?

Tips are

cut up credit cards

don't get store cards

don't borrow any more money

Call into the bank and ask if you can freeze your payments for the next say 4 months and ask if you could reduce the amount you pay each month choose a small amount and then stick to it.

If you are over drawn don't let any standing orders come into your account which might not be paid because then you will have a fee too

ie if you have a standing order for $20 and get charged $20 as well due to lack of funds by the time you pay it you are paying $60 not $20.

Don't buy any more clothes for the next 4 months in fact don't buy anything new for the next 4 months.

Don't eat out or have coffe out or anything out unless you made it at home and took it with you.

Are you underweight or over weight ( sorry about the question) but this might be a good opportunity to stick to a market diet ie you go to the market and get fresh fruit and veg for the week and just eat that. Our market  has days where it sells off the veg Tues and Fri Sun at about 5 pm. If you are off work then you can spend the time preparing good food for yourself and not going to the super market .We only go for milk butter and washing up liquid loo roll etc

Drink lots of water.

If you think this might be hard socially tell your friends you are trying a new aproach or detoxing whatever you think might be easiest for you to start with.

Prioritise Denise focus on the thing you want which is a job and to be debt free.

Write a note to your sister too and tell her how much you appreciate her support ,thats a whole lot she's doing for you.

What about getting a job somewhere you would get a meal a bistro , cafe ,farm workpicking fruit and veg, dinner lady at school, volutear at the soup kitchen and have soup it might help you feel better and also move into work.

Maybe get together with a friend and share meals together it's cheaper for 2 together than two sets of one. Go to church or some kind of place of worship of whatever religion you are or feel close to they won't see you starve and might have some practicle ways to help you.

Do you have a spare room you could rent out? Do you have a skill you could get paid for?\

Get back to me here and let me know how you are managing. I know some of the above is hard but if I can do it you can too.

Kindest Regards Cordicat

Sell something or swap something and if wwe needs a dress borrow one. ;)

June 12, 2007, 6:09 pm CDT

Thirsty Truck

Quote From: lucky35

Well, that's just it.  My husband complains constantly about his truck which "drinks a lot of gas'" so I was actually going to get it fixed for him.  Is that stupid. My broken-down car can run on one tank of gas for almost 2 weeks, whereas, his truck, maybe a week.  I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of hearing him complain and using my my new car and I doubt seriously he ever is in a position to finance anything.
 When a vehical consumes too much fuel if its fuel injected check for trouble codes.Most common problems are exhaust leak which will confuse the oxygen sensor feeding it too much fuel,the oxygen sensor is probably no good not being able to tell the computer to add or subtract fuel.And if it misses under load id suspect the plugs and ignition wires are leaking.Then do a compression check on ALL cylinders.If its a chev/GM with fuel injection also inspect the fuel regulator,could be pumping fuel into the vacuum line.Hope that helps.

June 14, 2007, 7:52 pm CDT

Hi Denise

Denise

How about taking a bicycle.  Find one on your local Freecycle board or post for one.  Even if it needs new tires, its still a good bargain.

Did you check the Angel Food Ministries for the $25 food packages?  If I figure it right, 12% of your money should go for food... that's $40/month.  Can you grow your own veggies?  Rice & beans is low in fat & price.  Its also filling.  So is plain oatmeal.  I buy produce on the 40% rack.  I make applesauce, banana muffins, broccoli and butternut squash soup.  After I see whats on the 40% rack, I check to see if ground beef is 50% off.  They can't keep ground beef more than 24 hours.  I got ground chicken breast for $1.60/# at Shoprite today...guess what I have in my freezer... 10 packages of ground chicken breast.  After I got the veggies and meat, I hit the take out area... I take packets of ketchup, mustard, mayo... even salt pepper and sugar (splenda also).  Hubby & I made 3 meatloaves, 2 batches of meat balls, 3 batches of chicken burgers and 2 globs for chili.  Progresso tomatoes was $1 a 28 oz can.  I had a coupon; got 6 cans for $3... me making a spaghetti sauce this weekend for Sunday dinner...(yes, Dr. Phil I'm using whole wheat pasta).

If you have kids, you qualify for food stamps... heck you qualify for them now!  You can volunteer at a food bank and they will give a discount (or free) food.

Coupons; use coupons for everything.  I live in an apartment complex.  I go for a walk every day but on Sunday I bring a plastic grocery bag.  I go to all the paper recycle bins and take coupon circulars.

Walmart and Sams clubs are always hiring.  Did you go to the kiosk and apply?  You have a computer, try monster.com or make a list of stores you'd like to work for, look on their sites for Jobs Available.  Heck, try the mall.  I think Walmart gives their employees 10% off.  

Good luck to you Denise.

Pearlhanna

June 18, 2007, 6:29 pm CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: pearlhanna

How about taking a bicycle.  Find one on your local Freecycle board or post for one.  Even if it needs new tires, its still a good bargain.

Did you check the Angel Food Ministries for the $25 food packages?  If I figure it right, 12% of your money should go for food... that's $40/month.  Can you grow your own veggies?  Rice & beans is low in fat & price.  Its also filling.  So is plain oatmeal.  I buy produce on the 40% rack.  I make applesauce, banana muffins, broccoli and butternut squash soup.  After I see whats on the 40% rack, I check to see if ground beef is 50% off.  They can't keep ground beef more than 24 hours.  I got ground chicken breast for $1.60/# at Shoprite today...guess what I have in my freezer... 10 packages of ground chicken breast.  After I got the veggies and meat, I hit the take out area... I take packets of ketchup, mustard, mayo... even salt pepper and sugar (splenda also).  Hubby & I made 3 meatloaves, 2 batches of meat balls, 3 batches of chicken burgers and 2 globs for chili.  Progresso tomatoes was $1 a 28 oz can.  I had a coupon; got 6 cans for $3... me making a spaghetti sauce this weekend for Sunday dinner...(yes, Dr. Phil I'm using whole wheat pasta).

If you have kids, you qualify for food stamps... heck you qualify for them now!  You can volunteer at a food bank and they will give a discount (or free) food.

Coupons; use coupons for everything.  I live in an apartment complex.  I go for a walk every day but on Sunday I bring a plastic grocery bag.  I go to all the paper recycle bins and take coupon circulars.

Walmart and Sams clubs are always hiring.  Did you go to the kiosk and apply?  You have a computer, try monster.com or make a list of stores you'd like to work for, look on their sites for Jobs Available.  Heck, try the mall.  I think Walmart gives their employees 10% off.  

Good luck to you Denise.

Pearlhanna

you can also go to the freesample site (google) YDF...your daily freestuff. (It's got a yellow sun at the top)I get all sorts of free samples and products. This stuff is truly free. you DO NOT have to fill out offers. they ask for basic info. There's a whole community there and the people are really helpful. Also, walmart.com under "in stores now" has a drop down box that has samples. they offer shampoos, toothpastes, pet food, diapers etc. the stuff rotates. my mailbox is almost always stuffed.

Also, coupons are wonderful  qand you can ask your local paper if they can save the extra coupon circulars for you, and your librabry too, also Mcd's and other restaurants may save them for you.

try your local churchs if they have a donation barrel for afoodbank they may let you sift through it before it goes to the pantry. ours does.

Good luck!

June 20, 2007, 5:17 pm CDT

Thanks!

Quote From: faeryedark

you can also go to the freesample site (google) YDF...your daily freestuff. (It's got a yellow sun at the top)I get all sorts of free samples and products. This stuff is truly free. you DO NOT have to fill out offers. they ask for basic info. There's a whole community there and the people are really helpful. Also, walmart.com under "in stores now" has a drop down box that has samples. they offer shampoos, toothpastes, pet food, diapers etc. the stuff rotates. my mailbox is almost always stuffed.

Also, coupons are wonderful  qand you can ask your local paper if they can save the extra coupon circulars for you, and your librabry too, also Mcd's and other restaurants may save them for you.

try your local churchs if they have a donation barrel for afoodbank they may let you sift through it before it goes to the pantry. ours does.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info on the freesample site.  I went to Florida not too long ago and packed all my samples.  I took a mess of bathroom samples before leaving also.  I didn't think to ask for extra coupons.  My hubby works for a supermarket on Sundays.  He checks the bin where the Sunday papers are sold.  Some folks leave their coupons behind.  I like smartsource and boogle.  I'm off to check the local library.

Pearlhanna

June 22, 2007, 10:16 pm CDT

Have you ever borrowed money or lent it?

Have you ever lent money to a "friend" or relative, not just $20, a significant amount?

Or have you been on the other side of things and needed to borrow?

My husband and I lent friends a mid-4 figure amount.  To give  a little background, we met them in Nov 2004.  For the first year we were good friends we did things almost every weekend together, our children played together, it was nice.  But around a year later I started distancing myself from "j"  we saw each other more often than the husbands did because I noticed she was a "taker". I wasn't getting much back from the relationship.   The husband , we'll call him "N"  emailed my husband early Oct 06 and asked to borrow the money.  He said they had gotten behind in their bills and this would really help them out,  but he wanted to keep it between them,  the 2 men.  (we do not know what this money really went to pay for because my husband never asked specifically and they don't offer info up) My husband said ,  no,  he would have to discuss it with me first  so he should also tell his wife, we'll call her "j".   My husband and I talked about it.  About the fact that we gave them a reliable car not a year before, Dec 2005,  but we felt bad for them and we agreed to LEND it.  Just to clarify, we are fortunate enough to be able to lend this amount. We are debt free with credit cards, we have significant savings, collenge funds for the kids,  we are in a good place financially.

We went away on vacation a couple weeks later and were gone for 3 weeks.  After giving them the check , before we left, my husband had sent them the terms of the loan.  They had to let us know when they would be paying us back, over when period of time, etc and my husband gave them some options to choose from.  We arrived home from vacation and no repsonse,  my husband emailed and it took them another week or 2,  but finally they said starting April 2007 they would pay monthly for 3 years.  They signed a contract in Feb stating that.

The contract did not state the exact date of the month that the payments were due to us. SO April 2007 came and went and our 1st payment arrived May 2nd. 

Today, June 22 2007 and we have not received May payment.  My husband emailed "N" on June 13, giving them the benefit of the doubt, "  I"m sure it's an oversight,  but we haven't seen the May payment blah blah blah.  He emailed back and said it was set up thorough the bank as an auto payment and he would contact the bank to see what the issue was. 

On June 20th - one week later, we receive another email that "j" looked into it and cannot see what the issue was with the back,  so he would take a look when he arrived home that day.

No response yet,  but my husband sent "n" a note today that they could just give us a manual check for now.

I told my husband that this is crazy.  I know you should never lend money to people.  I know it changes the relationship.  I am actually ready to terminate this relationship,  but I expect to get paid back on principle. 

"J" has also infiltrated a lot of my life, moms groups I belong to, she has become "good" friends with a couple of my close friends, she joined my gym - I switched now ..... you get the picture.
AND

They owe us this money and they send their son to a private school that costs over $10,000 a year,  but they receive SIGNIFICANT financial aid,  it's not free for them,  but I know they pay something.  The schools in our area are GREAT,  my son goes to public school and it's amazing.   She is going to a mommy group dinner this week,  I was supposed to go but don't want to spend time  with her. She is talking about vacations to visit her husbands family in Europe (although they have talked about this for as long as I've know them and they have not gone due to financial issues,  although she would never say they can't afford it)   She says alot of this stuff to my mom's group, like going to visit a friend in TX for a week,  buying pricey skincare products,  all the while she owes us this money.

I don't like the space it's taking up in my brain and all the time I spend thinking about it.

AHH!  What's your opinion?

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Next | Last