Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 23, 2007, 9:09 am CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: greeniiiiz

Have you ever lent money to a "friend" or relative, not just $20, a significant amount?

Or have you been on the other side of things and needed to borrow?

My husband and I lent friends a mid-4 figure amount.  To give  a little background, we met them in Nov 2004.  For the first year we were good friends we did things almost every weekend together, our children played together, it was nice.  But around a year later I started distancing myself from "j"  we saw each other more often than the husbands did because I noticed she was a "taker". I wasn't getting much back from the relationship.   The husband , we'll call him "N"  emailed my husband early Oct 06 and asked to borrow the money.  He said they had gotten behind in their bills and this would really help them out,  but he wanted to keep it between them,  the 2 men.  (we do not know what this money really went to pay for because my husband never asked specifically and they don't offer info up) My husband said ,  no,  he would have to discuss it with me first  so he should also tell his wife, we'll call her "j".   My husband and I talked about it.  About the fact that we gave them a reliable car not a year before, Dec 2005,  but we felt bad for them and we agreed to LEND it.  Just to clarify, we are fortunate enough to be able to lend this amount. We are debt free with credit cards, we have significant savings, collenge funds for the kids,  we are in a good place financially.

We went away on vacation a couple weeks later and were gone for 3 weeks.  After giving them the check , before we left, my husband had sent them the terms of the loan.  They had to let us know when they would be paying us back, over when period of time, etc and my husband gave them some options to choose from.  We arrived home from vacation and no repsonse,  my husband emailed and it took them another week or 2,  but finally they said starting April 2007 they would pay monthly for 3 years.  They signed a contract in Feb stating that.

The contract did not state the exact date of the month that the payments were due to us. SO April 2007 came and went and our 1st payment arrived May 2nd. 

Today, June 22 2007 and we have not received May payment.  My husband emailed "N" on June 13, giving them the benefit of the doubt, "  I"m sure it's an oversight,  but we haven't seen the May payment blah blah blah.  He emailed back and said it was set up thorough the bank as an auto payment and he would contact the bank to see what the issue was. 

On June 20th - one week later, we receive another email that "j" looked into it and cannot see what the issue was with the back,  so he would take a look when he arrived home that day.

No response yet,  but my husband sent "n" a note today that they could just give us a manual check for now.

I told my husband that this is crazy.  I know you should never lend money to people.  I know it changes the relationship.  I am actually ready to terminate this relationship,  but I expect to get paid back on principle. 

"J" has also infiltrated a lot of my life, moms groups I belong to, she has become "good" friends with a couple of my close friends, she joined my gym - I switched now ..... you get the picture.
AND

They owe us this money and they send their son to a private school that costs over $10,000 a year,  but they receive SIGNIFICANT financial aid,  it's not free for them,  but I know they pay something.  The schools in our area are GREAT,  my son goes to public school and it's amazing.   She is going to a mommy group dinner this week,  I was supposed to go but don't want to spend time  with her. She is talking about vacations to visit her husbands family in Europe (although they have talked about this for as long as I've know them and they have not gone due to financial issues,  although she would never say they can't afford it)   She says alot of this stuff to my mom's group, like going to visit a friend in TX for a week,  buying pricey skincare products,  all the while she owes us this money.

I don't like the space it's taking up in my brain and all the time I spend thinking about it.

AHH!  What's your opinion?

I don't know what to tell you, I don't lend signifcant amounts of money to anyone any more because i was burned on $275 of a $450 loan by a friend's boyfriend. We don't have much spare money to lend but, they needed a deposit for a house (to rent) and we lent it to them. We got sm. payments until they broke up and that was it. He's since died and she'd paid me $175 and claims the rest was his to pay...so, what do you do? We're still friends (had been long before any of this) but I'll never lend her any more money.

June 26, 2007, 2:48 am CDT

Borrowed more than your money

Have you ever lent money to a "friend" or relative, not just $20, a significant amount?

My husband and I lent friends a mid-4 figure amount.  To give  a little background, we met them in Nov 2004.  For the first year we were good friends we did things almost every weekend together, our children played together, it was nice.  But around a year later I started distancing myself from "j"  we saw each other more often than the husbands did because I noticed she was a "taker". I wasn't getting much back from the relationship.   The husband , we'll call him "N"  emailed my husband early Oct 06 and asked to borrow the money.  He said they had gotten behind in their bills and this would really help them out,  but he wanted to keep it between them,  the 2 men.  (we do not know what this money really went to pay for because my husband never asked specifically and they don't offer info up) My husband said ,  no,  he would have to discuss it with me first  so he should also tell his wife, we'll call her "j".   My husband and I talked about it.  About the fact that we gave them a reliable car not a year before, Dec 2005,  but we felt bad for them and we agreed to LEND it.  Just to clarify, we are fortunate enough to be able to lend this amount. We are debt free with credit cards, we have significant savings, collenge funds for the kids,  we are in a good place financially.

We went away on vacation a couple weeks later and were gone for 3 weeks.  After giving them the check , before we left, my husband had sent them the terms of the loan.  They had to let us know when they would be paying us back, over when period of time, etc and my husband gave them some options to choose from.  We arrived home from vacation and no repsonse,  my husband emailed and it took them another week or 2,  but finally they said starting April 2007 they would pay monthly for 3 years.  They signed a contract in Feb stating that.

The contract did not state the exact date of the month that the payments were due to us. SO April 2007 came and went and our 1st payment arrived May 2nd. 

Today, June 22 2007 and we have not received May payment.  My husband emailed "N" on June 13, giving them the benefit of the doubt, "  I"m sure it's an oversight,  but we haven't seen the May payment blah blah blah.  He emailed back and said it was set up thorough the bank as an auto payment and he would contact the bank to see what the issue was. 

On June 20th - one week later, we receive another email that "j" looked into it and cannot see what the issue was with the back,  so he would take a look when he arrived home that day.

No response yet,  but my husband sent "n" a note today that they could just give us a manual check for now.

I told my husband that this is crazy.  I know you should never lend money to people.  I know it changes the relationship.  I am actually ready to terminate this relationship,  but I expect to get paid back on principle. 

"J" has also infiltrated a lot of my life, moms groups I belong to, she has become "good" friends with a couple of my close friends, she joined my gym - I switched now ..... you get the picture.
AND

They owe us this money and they send their son to a private school that costs over $10,000 a year,  but they receive SIGNIFICANT financial aid,  it's not free for them,  but I know they pay something.  The schools in our area are GREAT,  my son goes to public school and it's amazing.   She is going to a mommy group dinner this week,  I was supposed to go but don't want to spend time  with her. She is talking about vacations to visit her husbands family in Europe (although they have talked about this for as long as I've know them and they have not gone due to financial issues,  although she would never say they can't afford it)   She says alot of this stuff to my mom's group, like going to visit a friend in TX for a week,  buying pricey skincare products,  all the while she owes us this money.

I don't like the space it's taking up in my brain and all the time I spend thinking about it.

I think that this couple have borrowed more than just $ Looks like she particularly wanted your life !!! Not to sound OTT but she has moved into areas of your life and you don't feel comfortable. Your intuition told you a long time ago what to do and because this person is good at tugging at the heart strings you fell into a trap. Has she done this to anyone else I wonder maybe you could have a private word with your closest friend who knows maybe they have "Borrowed 'Money from someone else too !!! Does anyone else know of this arrangement.

Maybe Bull by the horns is called for..... a face to face meeting with someone else present to get this sorted out. I have given money to people before now when I have been asked and sometimes for something specific,we have never had much money but I know there is a possiblity I wont get it back if I lend and also if someone is very hard up the last thing they need is to be owing money to us. I suspect these people didn't 'NEED" your money they just wanted it.

YOu are so right to distance yourself but I think you should let your friends know why, not in a horrid way, but just to say you find the situation uncomfortable and this lady is banking on your embaressment to keep the subject from being raised. You have done nothing wrong so don't feel bad because you are taking your time to think about the best way to overcome a difficult situation.

I have had times in my life when I have been let down by people I considered to be friends but later I realised the mistake was mine in believing that they were friends at all. I am older now so take more time in forming friendships this will be behind you soon do not fret.

July 11, 2007, 10:13 am CDT

Do you have anything in writing and they signed

AND

Do you have anything signed regarding the terms of the loan? 

Funny she talks about Europe and fancy skin care.  She's looking for freebies or someone's milage points from strangers Visa cards.  I'd sue her or take her to Dr. Phil.  The show may not be in Europe... she'll be on stage in front of millions in sunny California.

Pearl

July 31, 2007, 10:52 am CDT

Internet Jobs.

Hi everyone,

I'm in a delema. I am currently out of work and have applied for social security benefits. In the mean time, I am falling apart. It's almost August and I ahven't had much money come in here since December. I do get food stamps and also $100.00 a month.  $100.00 a month just doesn't cut it. It's not even close. My phone has been shut off and pretty soon so will the gas and electric. I'm at my wits end and scared to death.

Does anyone know of a really good site to go to for an online job. It must be approved by the Better Business Bureau. I have checked and there are soooooo many that I am confused. I really need to make some money fast. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Thank you for listening. Any help will be much appreciated. ;)

August 8, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

When you applied for SS Benefits

Quote From: girlsgopoof

Hi everyone,

I'm in a delema. I am currently out of work and have applied for social security benefits. In the mean time, I am falling apart. It's almost August and I ahven't had much money come in here since December. I do get food stamps and also $100.00 a month.  $100.00 a month just doesn't cut it. It's not even close. My phone has been shut off and pretty soon so will the gas and electric. I'm at my wits end and scared to death.

Does anyone know of a really good site to go to for an online job. It must be approved by the Better Business Bureau. I have checked and there are soooooo many that I am confused. I really need to make some money fast. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Thank you for listening. Any help will be much appreciated. ;)

They shouldve told you what other state benefits you might qualify for.

A few sites you can try for a new job is monstor.com, USAJobs or if you go to your local community college, they may have a board with jobs available posted.

Eating on $100 a month is difficult.  If you read further on this board, you'll find food banks, angel food minstries, coupon stradegies.   I even check trash bins for bottle caps for Pepsi's contest; guess what... I won $25.  Mama's getting a new pair of boots for the winter.

USDA.gov is a site where they have low cost recipes.  My hubby and I go to our local shop rite at night where we can get hamburger 30% off.  Not too long ago I got enough ground turkey to start my own farm.  I also buy the discounted fruits and veggies in the produce department.  I made an awesome peach crisp (sorry Dr. Phil, it wasn't diet friendly except the cinnamon).

I hope this helped a little bit. 

August 9, 2007, 10:16 am CDT

I found an interesting site

I found a ver interesting site.  I don't know if someone in here referenced it but the site is called hillbilly housewife.  They have recipes and advise.  The recipes are "on the cheap."  They also seem low salt and the ingredients aren't expensive.

Pearlhanna

September 5, 2007, 5:55 pm CDT

Even better ways to save

Quote From: blueguy6

Saving tip: Don’t Dail 411. Use phone directory instead. $ave $1.25+ per call. 

Don’t buy DVD's. Use Netflix instead. It's cheap. 

Don’t download ringtones. Y waste $3-6 for 10sec. content? 99c+ download cost +tax.  

Before giving  to charity check with --> http://www.give.org *.  

Install a anti-virus/spy-ware on your computer.  

Install a personal firewall to stop uninvited users from accessing your computer.  

Compare, Research & Shop .  

Don’t buy books & Cancel your magazine subriptions.. Use library instead.  

Read Consumer Reports before makin a major purchase.  

Pay credit card bill on time. 

Save $$ using online Coupon Codes ----- > http://www.couponmountain.com * 

Payin bills on time is a key to avoid getting charged late fees etc.. 

Buy everything used except clothes. http://www.half.com *  

Send in your Rebate forms.  

Always use club cards+ coupons. (you should put your real name & your real address on the form incase your keys are lost)  

Don’t buy anti-spyware, virus + personal firewall software. Check out your ISP homepage. Most ISP's offer free software download.  

Watch out for scams. http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm *  

Don’t pay for credit reports. A recent amendment to the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months, from http://www.annualcreditreport.com. *  

Quit cigarettes. 

Use cold water to wash clothes. Try Cold Water Tide you can save 63 bucks a year .... 

Take advantage of ' How to workshops' from your Local Hardware store. 

Load up on sale items next time you go shopping. 

Don't pay for classified Advertising. Many online sites offer Free classified Postings. 

Many good deals are available at your local dollar stores. 

You can request that your phone be blocked from being able to complete calls to all 900 and 976 numbers by calling your Phone Company. Blocking is free for residential lines.  

NO need to pay long distance. Use internet to make free calls. 

Lottery is for the poor & the Greedy. 

Avoid payday Loans It can become a bad habit. 

Planings your trip well saves you $$ 

Legal cost/help 

Don’t pay for checking/saving. Many banks offer free checking/saving. 

Buy used car

Pet insurance 

Don't use Netflix. Get a local library card. They often have movies, sometimes at only 25 cents per day rentals, of the newer movies too.

Don't wate your time using the phone directory. Dial 1-800-FREE 411. You'll have to listen to an ad, but then you get the number for free. (or go to www.whitepages.com)

September 10, 2007, 10:04 am CDT

Also..

Quote From: craigster

Don't use Netflix. Get a local library card. They often have movies, sometimes at only 25 cents per day rentals, of the newer movies too.

Don't wate your time using the phone directory. Dial 1-800-FREE 411. You'll have to listen to an ad, but then you get the number for free. (or go to www.whitepages.com)

Not to say the original list did not have a lot of good advise however, I agree w/ the don't use netflix and don't use the phone directory comments above. 

Also instead of worrying about paying credit cards on time just don't use them.  Credit card companies often play games such as switching the dates they are due or giving you a minimal amount of time to pay them to trick you into paying late.  Unless you actually go to the post office and pay money to have it tracked (aka certified or other types of mail that cost more than regular mail) it is hard to prove.   Not to mention additional wasted money (and time)such as having to waste gas driving bills to the post office because they are on the brink of being charged late fees or paying for certified mail.   Cash is just easier and besides unless it is a house /condo if you can't pay for it with money you have, then you shouldn't buy it.  

Also store cards are a bad idea and so are sales in many cases.  Although they appear to save you money they often don't.  Sale items are only a good deal if they are actually on "sale" and actually cheaper than store brands, which they usually aren't.   Also if you are not going to realistically use a sale item then it is bad purchase.  I know a lot of people who waste a ridiculous amount of money on "sale" items that they never actually use, except to clutter up their homes and prevent them from finding things they actually need and use.   Store cards are also a bad idea because they target you psychology.  I generally don't shop at stores that have store cards, rather I go to stores that make sales avaiable to everyone.  

September 13, 2007, 5:09 am CDT

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: trigreen

Not to say the original list did not have a lot of good advise however, I agree w/ the don't use netflix and don't use the phone directory comments above. 

Also instead of worrying about paying credit cards on time just don't use them.  Credit card companies often play games such as switching the dates they are due or giving you a minimal amount of time to pay them to trick you into paying late.  Unless you actually go to the post office and pay money to have it tracked (aka certified or other types of mail that cost more than regular mail) it is hard to prove.   Not to mention additional wasted money (and time)such as having to waste gas driving bills to the post office because they are on the brink of being charged late fees or paying for certified mail.   Cash is just easier and besides unless it is a house /condo if you can't pay for it with money you have, then you shouldn't buy it.  

Also store cards are a bad idea and so are sales in many cases.  Although they appear to save you money they often don't.  Sale items are only a good deal if they are actually on "sale" and actually cheaper than store brands, which they usually aren't.   Also if you are not going to realistically use a sale item then it is bad purchase.  I know a lot of people who waste a ridiculous amount of money on "sale" items that they never actually use, except to clutter up their homes and prevent them from finding things they actually need and use.   Store cards are also a bad idea because they target you psychology.  I generally don't shop at stores that have store cards, rather I go to stores that make sales avaiable to everyone.  

I have to disagree with you on the sales and the store cards. If you're organized and a couponer... you can save bundles of money. However the trick is to learn when things go on sale (it goes in cycles) and use coupons in conjunction  and stock up enough to get you to the next sale. Also be flexible when it comes to brands. Some things i hardly ever pay money for are shampoo, razors, shaving cream, toothpaste...and even if there is some out of pocket... I can actually make money on alot of these thru rebates and catalinas (the save$ on your next shopping order coupons printed at the register) Also, alot of times if you get extras there's places to trade for items you want.

A few good places on the net to check out are  Hotcouponworld.com and YDF (just google them) Ydf  has a forum where you can get all sorts of freebies. I'm always getting coffee, shampoo, detergent, pet-food etc. and you don't have to "complete offers" those are scams...these are all legit. You can also find legitimate survey companies as well...most of the ones I do get me amazon gift cards which I use to get books that I can't get from my local library because they're from the BBC and besides I want to keep them LOL!  They're MINE!!!

Have a good one!  HTH

September 19, 2007, 6:14 am CDT

What about incidentals?

Quote From: marcia52

When I purchased my home back in 1997, I picked up a brochure at the bank on ESCROW.  The AHA moment came when I realized that I could do the same for myself.  So I went home and made a list of what my yearly bills were going to be:

1. Car Insurance, House Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance
  2. Water & Sewer
  3. Vacation
  4. Home Repairs
  5. Car Repairs
  6. House payment
  7. Property Taxes

I then totaled up the amounts and divided it by 26 (the # of paychecks I get in 1 year).  Then I went to the bank and opened up a savings account.  Had the bank transfer the AMOUNT into the ESCROW account every pay period.

It took a while to build up the ESCROW; however, it was wonderful when at 6 months, I was paying my car insurance at one time.

The house payment was easier too!  Instead of 1 large payment, I had it split up.  All I had to do was transfer the monies back into my savings and write a check.

NOTE: there are 52 weeks in a month, and I got paid every other week which meant I had 26 paydays in a year.  2 of those checks helped me to build up my ESCROW account and I had the extra monies to help me pay for emergencies or a vacation or a new TV at the end of the year.

IYour set up is great.  Do you have any money in an incidental account?  Lets say one of your expenses goes up or you want to treat yourself to a new coat.  LOL, one month I paid $50 for phone, then in like a month, it went up to $100 (I added long distance and the answer call).

If you pay your bills with your credit card (this is risky), pay the total amount at the end of the month, some credit cards have nice incentives like plane tickets, gift cards, etc.  I'm thinking of doing this.  Some cards give 3 points per dollar depending on what ya buy.  My budget has no room for fun nor steak.  LOL read some of my postings; Im the coupon queen with a freezer full of turkey burgers.

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Next | Last