Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2007, 8:38 am CDT

The one common link

Hello - I watched this show, and it provoked both disbelief and anger in me.  the one common thread that was neglectfully not mentioned is that all the school shooters - from Columbine to Virginia Tech to the current tragedies in Wisconsin and Ohio are linked.  All of these shooters were interested in going out 'in a blaze of glory'.  All were interested in media attention and the resulting media orgies that happen in our shock journalism society.  All were interested in noteriety, and congratulations, Dr. Phil, you played right into their game.  This does not mean that these events are not worth reporting, but all of the perpetrators were motivated by the knowledge that their names would live on after their demise.  I say, ban the names of the perpetrators after the intial reports, make sure that this motivation is removed from young people's minds, and we will see a snowball effect - the result of which will be less violence in our schools.  Instead, sensationalize the names of the victims - about how brave and admirable they are/were.  Turn the tables in the media, and I am guessing that the removal of the 'blaze of glory' motivation will result in positive changes across the board. 

October 15, 2007, 8:50 am CDT

Individual sentiments are not LAWS!

Quote From: longwalker

Of course you can not rig a gun like you described. But here in the state of South Carolina there have unfortunately been many cases like the one I related . The story is true. It happened to a man in Fountain Inn, SC. If you don't believe me, then go on line to The Greenville News website and look up the story in the archives. As I stated, the intruder was in the bathroom. When he came out of the bathroom, he cut the elderly man several times. Then he was shot and killed and it was ruled self-defense--which it was. They didn't have to stage anything. And that is a slam to that poor man who was just trying to enjoy an evening at home.

How can you say that self-defense is not protecting your home? When someone breaks into your home carrying a gun or knife, they are not there to invite you to tea. Most of these animals will kill you and not even think twice about it.  Your home is not just the structure. It is the people in it. The elderly man was at home with his wife. Her survival was his responsibility. And her life was precious to him. Reasonable force be damned. He shot the son of a bitch that broke into his home and that man won't be doing it again.

We all have ideas, but that does not make those ideas LAWS!

The Supreme Court has determined that human life is more important than property.

Whether you like it or not, a home is NOT a human life. 

Like the Second Amendment, which provides for States' citizens to arm their State militias, to guard against a too-powerful central government,  the LAW is something we have to read, understand, and obey.

Insurance protects homeowners against theft of objects.

Common sense protects us against breaking the laws.

October 15, 2007, 9:14 am CDT

Dr. King's wisdom

Quote From: longwalker

Thank you for your very articulate reply to such an ill-formed woman. I replied to her, but I am so glad that a teacher did, also. I am a woman with my concealed weapons permit and I guarantee you nobody has a clue I have it.  And as you referred to in your message, I won't have to wait for the police to come and rescue me. I can do that myself thank you.

Another point. I don't think most people realize that getting a concealed weapon permit is not like going to the local outdoor store and getting a hunting or fishing license. Shooters must take an all day class on gun safety and laws that pertain to self-defense along with other pertinant material. Then they take a test that must be passed. Then that same day or another day, the shooter must take a practical shooting test outdoors. And on top of passing both of these steps, you must pass a stringent background check. So when we carry our guns, it is not some macho or vigilante thing. We are trained to defend ourselves and will do it to protect ourselves, our families and our property.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  once said:  "An eye for an eye leaves everybody blind."

He had a dream that we could live with hope and humanity, not fear. 

His non-violent methods for social change IMPROVED this country!  He bravely walked a tortured road.

He died trying to help people, not hurt them.

He was killed by a gun,  just as John Kennedy and Bobby Kennedy were killed. 

The kids who are dying from guns are the most recent reasons to examine our proliferated use of guns.

In or out of the schools,  Americans must begin to deal with problems without violence.  It is a complete degradation of the human spirit.  Those who tote guns for killing are hypocrites when they invoke God.

They cram these killing machines into their closets and purses because they are cowards. 

To quote another American leader, Bill Cosby:  "C'MON, PEOPLE!"  (This is the title of his new book.)

Dr. King modeled courage, not FEAR.   He is my hero.   What will your legacy be?

October 15, 2007, 9:24 am CDT

Dumping a bully is RISKY!

Quote From: packergirl1965

You are so wrong.  Tyler was not picked on or pubicly riducled!  He was a controling person that wanted his girl back.  He made a wrong choise on how to handle things. 

Every day, women choose to dump bullies.

Some bullies can deal with it; some react with violence.

Dealing with abusive men is RISKY.    Look how many women are killed when they try to leave abusers.

Did you know that DOCTORS, LAWYERS, POLICEMEN, and FIREFIGHTERS comprise the greatest numbers of abusive men?     Shocking, but true!  

Many of our "heroes" have a problem with CONTROL and DOMINATION.   This is at the core of abuse.

This is why young women need to learn the warning signs of potentially abusive men.

Lundy Bancroft's book:  "WHY Does He Do That?"  (Inside the Minds of Angry, Controlling Men)

needs to be in EVERY SCHOOL LIBRARY.   

Viewers, PLEASE READ this book and donate a copy to your local high school.  It could save lives.

October 15, 2007, 9:31 am CDT

Killers are not "Gentlemen"!

Quote From: cmoten32

The tradegy recently in Wisconsin was about "Gun Violence", someone acting in this manner for whatever reason.  I do not seeing this small Wisconsin Police departments fault or even the family of the officer.  We cannot "bash" this gentlemans family or police department.  We need to come to terms and learn from this gentlemans mistakes and actions, basically, this particular event should be only a healing and learning situation.  Learning and healing properly are the ways we prevent these mistakes from happening again.  We cannot continue pointing the fingers, who we can point the fingers at is our legislation body.  Why?  Because I feel that our country continues to struggle with gun violence prevention and policy strategies to reduce violence. 

Policing organizations are stressful and danagering positions physically and mentally.  We must focus on research, research continues to suggest that Policing officials should be monitor regularly for stress and issues pertaining the dangerous, but couragous position of duty.

It is a common myth that "stress" causes abuse and violence.

Most adults live with stressful lives.

Thankfully, most of us do not channel that stress into murder.

Violent BEHAVIOR is a CHOICE that comes from an ABUSIVE MENTALITY that permits VIOLENCE!

A killer deliberately chooses to get a gun, load it with ammunition, find the victim, and KILL.

READ MORE about the minds of angry, controlling men.

Lundy Bancroft's book:  "WHY DOES HE DO THAT?"    will help you understand that "stress" is not the cause.   

October 15, 2007, 9:39 am CDT

Dysfunction in Education

Quote From: flthomcat

The public schools have been in decline since the 1970's when we listened to crazy "professionals" who taught "student rights" (funny, but adults at 18 have rights, not children) and pushed the idea that we have to allow crap so we don't injure a child's self esteem. We also couldn't search lockers because of the "rights" of children.

Families have also collapsed. We all want  to work so we have nicer homes, nicer cars, vacations, electronic gadgets for the kids, family cell phones, brand named clothing, etc. However, we left God, stopped getting to know our neighbors, stopped eating dinner together, stopped helping others (even strangers) and stopped spending time with our children. We also decided that morals didn't really matter providing we were the best and always won. Then we wonder why our school are the way they are????

Yes, school districts HIDE lots of things. I personally exposed some of it during my 9 years teaching high school at a large school in the 11th largest district in the country. If parents knew the violent kids allowed to sit beside them (many of them awaiting trial, etc) they would faint. That's why more parents MUST get invovled in their kids' education. There should be NO EXCUSE for parents not to take an active room WEEKLY in their child's education. They need to spend time with their kids each night to learn what is going on in their lives. They need to demand they work hard in school (value education) and take part in extracurricular activities like sports, band, drama, clubs, etc.

The root cause, though, is NOT the schools undereporting. The root cause lies with families...their dysfunction. Only parents can change those statistics.

Schools are simply a reflection of society and parents need to stand up and DEMAND better principals, school boards, teachers, etc. Parents also need to start taking the time to raise better children!!!

The Nation has faced a steady moral decline since Madeline O'Hare was successful in removing prayer from school.  I agree that families, etc. have collapsed; a distraction (and scapegoat) however to the real issues in education in this country. 

Under-reporting is gross negligence and compromises the safety of all students.  Mal-administrative actions in general, including under-reporting of violence, remain unchecked, and the educational system itself  is dsysfunctional as a result; a system of cover-ups and a system where our children spend at least 30 hours per week  from grade k-12.

I agree, schools are a reflection of society - what can you say about yours? The world is watching as we lead in violence in schools and our children continue to die either by their own hand, or at the hand of another.  Our children do have rights and most important our children have a legal right to be safe, not somewhat or relatively safe,  but safe from school violence.

October 15, 2007, 10:36 am CDT

Kent State shootings

Quote From: readmore

SECOND AMENDMENT

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Our nation did not want a king or dictator.  It wanted a federation of STATES, each of which to be made of people who could arm their STATE  militia, to prevent a too-powerful central government. 

NOTICE THE AMENDMENT BEGINS WITH  WORDS:  "A WELL REGULATED MILITIA...

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."

Are today's gun owners (individuals) so delusional that they believe they can stave off invasions with their private gun collections? That thought is so absurd, it is laughable!  Fearful people believe in their fears.

Viewers can now see why the PROFIT-MAKING GUN MANUFACTURERS (and NRA) have been able to purchase legislative influence, over the years, that brings us to today's CRIMINAL KILLINGS.  How many of us citizens reasonably believe that a personal  AK-47 may be useful in our school district?

I know of no state militia or guard unit that has caused the killings in our schools.

I forgot that Kent State students were killed, on campus, by armed Ohio guardsmen.

That was a sad day, when the students were merely speaking out---another Constitutional right.

The gun advocates on this message board, to date, have not responded to the clarification of the right to arm State militias.   Were you surprised to read it?

Your silence suggests that you have now considered the actual language of the Second Amendment.

Now, we need to focus on the MISUSE of guns and the illegal violence.

October 15, 2007, 12:15 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: marly06

Everyone should consider the anger & frustration a child goes thru if they are ridiculed at school & lack the ability to express their sadness and anger. How many of us shot out a simple "FINE" when we were little because we simply didn't want to or know how to gather the words to express our frustration or sadness. A child in school and people of all ages are able to sense (without words) when someone doesn't care for or respect them. Pile that normal everyday occurance on top of a child who has been adopted and perhaps been put through some horrible abuse prior to their adoption. Not every child comes with a full and honest background report. It's just not possible for each case. Sometimes its the horrible/lack of parenting as stated in a previous post. But sometimes, it's the other people in the child's life who have a dominant influence on a daily basis on the child. I wish every classroom could have a video camera feet where the parent/guardian could have access to monitor. I think it may solve a lot of gaps with the social troubles children may have. No disprespect to teachers out there but it's hard for parents to see the disruption a troubled child causes to the whole class AND it's hard for a parent to understand how much extra effort is required with a student who needs a different style of being educated. Keep in mind parents/guardians. Many, many teachers have an emergency credential which means they were able to acquire their status w/o going the long paths to become qualified. Part of becoming a fully qualified teacher is teaching skills. If you were to ask your children's teachers to name the four types of learners, could they? Do they make lesson plans to relay the information to each type of learner? Does their school administration give them the budget to do so? Do they even have time to do all that work? Does their school support the teaching staff by grouping them together to each make lesson plans and share them? Consider all of these situations............
Go ask a teacher if there is a time consuming task you can do for them that does NOT require their assistance. If everyone did one task and followed through by keeping to this commitment, perhaps there would be time in the classroom for the teacher to help the children who need to learn in a different way. The end result being the troubled child not feeling embarrassed and defeated every day they go to school. We all know how that builds up and comes out in a bad way in high school or college.
I agree with what you said. The problem we're having getting an appropriate placement for our son may have been resolved with a Supreme Court ruling on 10-10-07 that just came to my attention. Our son is diagnosed Bipolar and Asperger Syndrome. Asperger Syndrome is an Autism Spectrum Disorder. The court ruling was in a case filed by a parent on behalf of their son in New York. The decision stated that parents do have the right to challenge school IEP's if they are demonstrably inappropriate for their child. This will require schools to either write an appropriate IEP for the child or pay for private schooling without having to "try out" the school's IEP first. This is the battle we've been having so hopefully we can begin to make some headway with them now. When children are in a regular education setting and they cannot process the world around them as the other children do, they are in the wrong setting. That can only serve to lower their self esteem, especially as they get older and begin to realize they are different from the other kids. Depression is a part of both Asperger's and Bipolar. Stress is not a good thing for these children. With 1 in ever 150 children diagnosed with some form of Autism Spectrum Disorder, the schools need to become more sensitive. With Aspergers, these kids do not connect with others in a normal way. Other children are more like objects than playmates. They cannot read social cues to know what is appropriate. They can only judge things by what they know, what they are going through or what they have been through. They cannot predict outcomes if they haven't experienced it before. They are compulsive at times. And often, as our son puts it, even if he knows he's not supposed to do something, he still does it at times, "if his minds tells him it's ok". I told him one day he's getting older, he needs to start trying to change some of that thinking and start trying to follow the rules we put in place because they are there to help protect him. His response was, "I like the way I think." These are the children who are being overlooked, and more so if the parents have the kids where they behave well outwardly at school. On the surface they may look like everything is all right, but inwardly, it may not be. If the adults around him aren't in tune with that, then it can snowball rapidly, especially if it slips into the mania part of the Bipolar Disorder. Mania feels good to him. He can feed himself with a false sense of self importance that, in his mind, raises him above all others around him. Feeling superior feels good, even if it's short lived. With so many children with these types of disorders, the educational system needs to impliment some changes. If not, more and more of these children are going to grow up with a feeling of hopelessness and despair. Could these children be in part what we are dealing with in our society? I can't say for sure, but I can see that how that level of depression and feeling like they are different, and that their very best attempts are inadequate, could spawn an individual who would throw up their hands and say "I give up". Are these the ones who get up one day and decide to go out hunting humans? I think we all need to start fighting for these kids' rights. It's not just our son, it's 1 in every 150. The eduactional departments need to start helping instead of turning a blind eye. It's hard to get them interested in letting you help in school with the kids when they think you are the enemy because you tell them they are wrong about your child's needs; but they think that they know him better than we do. It's so frustrating. It's not just for me and mine. We all need to see and begin to understand what is going on. Our kids are all going to live in this world together when we are gone. They need us to help them prepare for that at every level. With the Autism rate alone being 1 in 150, it's a good place to start because these children do not see the world around them as we do. They do not process things as we do. They can be taught some life skills that will help but everyone has to be on the same page and be consistent to help the child understand it. Left to themselves, these children are perfectly happy just the way things are. And if we do nothing to try to help them, what happens when they are grown? I'm not trying to rail on the schools, but it's time for change if we're going to make this better. I'm praying that we can.

October 15, 2007, 2:24 pm CDT

The Six Abusive Attitudes of Abusers

From Lundy Bancroft's book:  "WHY Does He Do That?"  (Inside the MInds of Angry, Controlling Men):

Abuse is LEARNED and must be UN-LEARNED.

Abuse is a CHOICE in behavior.  An abuser's THINKING and ATTITUDES drive his behavior.

Here are the SIX ABUSIVE ATTITUDES SHARED BY ABUSERS:

1.  Entitlement 

2.  Superiority

3.  Selfishness

4.  Disrespect

5.  Coercive Control

6.  Victim-blaming 

If a man thinks a woman is his possession (object), not an EQUAL, he may feel ENTITLED  to control her, monitor her every movement, hurt her.  If a man feels he is older, richer, more educated, he may attempt to dominate her.  If he is rude, verbally abusive and disrespectful, he may attempt to intimidate her.

If he threatens to hurt her ("if I can't have you, no one can") or coerce her to obey him, or blame her for his temper tantrums, she is in danger. 

Abusers who turn to killing are not merely "stressed."  They deliberately choose to hurt their victim.

They are not "losing control" because they already control who, when, and where they will hurt another.

They do not need "anger management" classes because they have no problem with their own anger!

They have a problem with HER righteous anger when he is abusive!  They cannot tolerate her strength.

This book has been an invaluable teaching tool in my classrooms.  Read more; learn more.

It could save the lives of our girls and women.

October 15, 2007, 3:48 pm CDT

I believe you are right

Quote From: msmangus

The Nation has faced a steady moral decline since Madeline O'Hare was successful in removing prayer from school.  I agree that families, etc. have collapsed; a distraction (and scapegoat) however to the real issues in education in this country. 

Under-reporting is gross negligence and compromises the safety of all students.  Mal-administrative actions in general, including under-reporting of violence, remain unchecked, and the educational system itself  is dsysfunctional as a result; a system of cover-ups and a system where our children spend at least 30 hours per week  from grade k-12.

I agree, schools are a reflection of society - what can you say about yours? The world is watching as we lead in violence in schools and our children continue to die either by their own hand, or at the hand of another.  Our children do have rights and most important our children have a legal right to be safe, not somewhat or relatively safe,  but safe from school violence.

The problem is how to get this back on track.  Things have gotten so far out of control in our society.

First | Prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next | Last