Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2007, 12:17 pm CDT

Not a direct hit!

Quote From: longwalker

The student in your class was probably asking a rhetorical and question and you should have given him a chance to elaborate. Or perhaps kept him after class for a minute and had a one on one talk with him.

Having said that, I agree completely with you that teachers like yourself who have their state gun carry permit, and want to, should be allowed to take them to school with them. No student in any of your classes would know you had a gun. I would  much rather have a child of mine in a class room with you than in a class room where the teacher is armed merely with their degrees.

Many teachers are "armed" with more than degrees:  they have common sense!   They know guns kill!

LOCKING COCKPITS in airplanes HAS TOTALLY PREVENTED hijackers from taking over the planes!

A hijacker does not know or care if the pilot holds a cheeseburger or a handgun!   If the would-be hijacker CANNOT ENTER THE COCKPIT, he cannot hijack the plane!     (This is called common sense!)

Stop taking pot-shots at educators, whose intelligence was a REQUIREMENT to teach.

October 17, 2007, 12:40 pm CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: forsara

First of all, I am so sorry for everybody who becomes a victim of violence. Here is the deal seen from an outside perspective: In Norway we hear about gun violence happening all the time in America, and almost never anywhere else in the world. Not only are the gun-crimes frequent, violent crime in general seems to be. Through my studies I have learned a lot about sociology related to law, and we do know some things about why my country Norway has a very low crime-rate compared to many Western countries. I wish to stress that our laws and systems are far from perfect especially related to domestic abuse, but we still are doing some things right:

- Most of the population including most of the military and the police-force are not allowed to carry guns in public unless they have separate, specific permits for each occasion.

- Keeping guns at home is almost equally strictly regulated. The general population is not allowed to unless they have special permits as soldiers or trained hunters. The only unexpected shooting episodes we have had in Norway have happened related to these guns (excluding the long term criminals).

- Without the guns, we are still not more frequently attacked, assaulted, robbed, and I believe we are less vulnerable without all these guns lying around everywhere.

- I personally believe that our capital punishment is far too lenient, and I have not seen any examples of this contributing to fewer crimes with one exception: If people are to be let back out into society, it should happen as soon as possible to avoid the individuals to adjust too much to the prison culture which is not compatible with how society on the outside works. From a functional standpoint, criminals ought to be tried, convicted, rehabilitated and released as quickly and efficiently as possible for the sake of success, or they should be kept in jail forever for the protection of society.

- Norway has a much debated but somewhat restrictive alcohol policy, and the numbers clearly support restriction contrary to the popular opinion. Most crimes are committed while intoxicated, and the vast majority happens under the influence of alcohol.

- Social issues such as little education, poverty and mental health problems more often than not factor into what makes a criminal. We are lucky to not have a lot of murders or serious, violent attacks in Norway. Many of our attacks have been associated with too poor mental healthcare on societys part.

- Conclusion: Far more restrictive policies concerning guns and alcohol would probably make a huge difference to American crime-rates. To those who object in the name of the individuals right to party and protect themselves I have only one thing to say: I would much rather live with a slightly parenting and overprotective Governments restrictions than being shot by a mentally ill person who used the gun he keeps to protect himself from thieves or being hit by a drunk driver who just had to take a few too many drinks. Very few children do well without boundaries, and I believe America frequently proves that the same is the case for the adult population. My friends, you are paying a high price for some of your freedoms. Is it really worth it?

I am still amazed at people such as you and the posters from Canada and Australia who use this sight to brag about the fact that as citizens of your respective countries you have all just rolled over like some whipped dog and let your governments just randomly decide that you no longer have one of your rights.

Our country is based on the principal : by the people, of the people, for the people.

Then, we have a constitutution. Under this we are given rights that our elected leaders cannot change on a whim. If they try, then they find out at the next election what a big mistake that was.

There are enough "gun laws" now to choke an elephant. And still a criminal can get a gun.

You just go right ahead and live in your restrictive government because you are big time wrong, there is no price too high to pay for the freedoms we have.

October 17, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: readmore

Many teachers are "armed" with more than degrees:  they have common sense!   They know guns kill!

LOCKING COCKPITS in airplanes HAS TOTALLY PREVENTED hijackers from taking over the planes!

A hijacker does not know or care if the pilot holds a cheeseburger or a handgun!   If the would-be hijacker CANNOT ENTER THE COCKPIT, he cannot hijack the plane!     (This is called common sense!)

Stop taking pot-shots at educators, whose intelligence was a REQUIREMENT to teach.

There are guns that will go through the door of a cockpit. A little C4 will do it. Locked cockpits have had nothing to  do with there not being any hijackers; it has been the security systems at  all the airports. Any body that would be a potential threat has been stopped.

No potshots have been taken at intelligent teachers. Intelligence does not go hand in hand with common sense.

October 17, 2007, 2:18 pm CDT

Shootings in school

Dr Phil, We all know kids who are picked on in school and bullied the teachers are not watching the classrooms much less the kids in the class. The teachers have  teachers pets that are watching the class while the teacher is out of the classroom. There needs to be more adult supervision in the classroom if teachers are watching they can stop the bullies and the picking and name calling instead of standing by and watching this happen. In the old days they would have been put in the principle office and paddled. God forbid a teacher spank a child now. The children are growing up with a chip and want revenge this is unaccepatable but they do not understand what else to do? There is a problem that needs to be dealt with in the classroom with supervision and on the playgrounds. Is there some kind of program that teaches children to be kind to one another. Most kids do not want to be loners they have no choice. Teach this!!!

Thanks,

October 17, 2007, 2:29 pm CDT

"Some kind of program..."

Quote From: debrat11

Dr Phil, We all know kids who are picked on in school and bullied the teachers are not watching the classrooms much less the kids in the class. The teachers have  teachers pets that are watching the class while the teacher is out of the classroom. There needs to be more adult supervision in the classroom if teachers are watching they can stop the bullies and the picking and name calling instead of standing by and watching this happen. In the old days they would have been put in the principle office and paddled. God forbid a teacher spank a child now. The children are growing up with a chip and want revenge this is unaccepatable but they do not understand what else to do? There is a problem that needs to be dealt with in the classroom with supervision and on the playgrounds. Is there some kind of program that teaches children to be kind to one another. Most kids do not want to be loners they have no choice. Teach this!!!

Thanks,

There is "some kind of program that teaches children to be kind to one another."

It is called PARENTHOOD.    GOOD PARENTS MODEL RESPECT; THEIR KIDS LEARN IT.

My parents taught me to respect adults, especially teachers.

I am happy to report that I have never disrespected my teachers and ended up getting HIT in a PRINCIPAL's office.    That would send the message that HITTING CHILDREN is intelligent for adults.

Decent and civil behavior is MODELED by adults.   They are your child's FIRST TEACHERS.

October 17, 2007, 8:40 pm CDT

Debra

Quote From: debrat11

Thanks,

Are you in school?  You sound like you have a real understanding of bullies and bullying.  It is hard for teachers because they are supposed to get kids through the mandated materials and state testing.  On top of that they have to deal with discipline issues.  I see what you mean though.  Perhaps schools could hold an assembly now and then allowing kids to act out being bullies and being bullied.  Sensitivity training of sorts.  There should be a zero policy for bullies.  Not because they might become crazed killers but because bullying hurts.   I think the issue should be at least occasionally addressed in the schools.

October 19, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

Homecoming shooting

Quote From: longwalker

There are guns that will go through the door of a cockpit. A little C4 will do it. Locked cockpits have had nothing to  do with there not being any hijackers; it has been the security systems at  all the airports. Any body that would be a potential threat has been stopped.

No potshots have been taken at intelligent teachers. Intelligence does not go hand in hand with common sense.

I think the main problem is that far too many people have guns in the U.S,.A. Without ready access to a gun there would be far fewer deaths. A closed door to the  cockpit would also reduce hijacking but maybe not eliminate it completely. I don't understand why hunters are against gun control. The guns used in hunting are different from the ones used to commit murder!

Mitzisweets

October 19, 2007, 4:31 pm CDT

Being Proactive

Okay, we know families are splitting up at  an incredibly rapid rate.  This can leave children feeling guilty, lonely, not good enough, unworthy of happiness, etc., etc.  Then there are environmental issues, such as a break-up, trouble fitting in in school, etc.

The kids now a days need support.  Most schools have 1 or 2 school counselors.  Well, from what I remember from school, is that it was not cool to talk to a counselor and sometimes it just feels

needy and embarrasing at that age.

There nees to be classes offered, or even mandatory, that teach kids how to deal with sadness, anger, frustration,etc.  Just like adults can go to anger management seminars, we need to make it available/mandatory for our kids to be taught constructive ways to deal with feelings.  This could be coupled with other topics to just consider the class a 'Health' class.  The classroom setting would allow kids to get the information without them having to go to someone one on one.

Also, the teachers of these classes could keep their eyes and ears open when touching on topics that can make us angry, etc. and see what kind of reaction they are getting from each of the students. 

It might open the door to a student walking up to the teacher at the end of class saying "Can we talk??"

Just a thought........but a good one

October 20, 2007, 1:01 pm CDT

ADULTS need to step up!

Quote From: nmattingly

Okay, we know families are splitting up at  an incredibly rapid rate.  This can leave children feeling guilty, lonely, not good enough, unworthy of happiness, etc., etc.  Then there are environmental issues, such as a break-up, trouble fitting in in school, etc.

The kids now a days need support.  Most schools have 1 or 2 school counselors.  Well, from what I remember from school, is that it was not cool to talk to a counselor and sometimes it just feels

needy and embarrasing at that age.

There nees to be classes offered, or even mandatory, that teach kids how to deal with sadness, anger, frustration,etc.  Just like adults can go to anger management seminars, we need to make it available/mandatory for our kids to be taught constructive ways to deal with feelings.  This could be coupled with other topics to just consider the class a 'Health' class.  The classroom setting would allow kids to get the information without them having to go to someone one on one.

Also, the teachers of these classes could keep their eyes and ears open when touching on topics that can make us angry, etc. and see what kind of reaction they are getting from each of the students. 

It might open the door to a student walking up to the teacher at the end of class saying "Can we talk??"

Just a thought........but a good one

YES!  THE KIDS NEED SUPPORT!

One father came to me Friday, wanting an "extra credit" assignment for his son, to raise his grade.

My view on EXTRA credit is that it is above and beyond the assignments, not a traded piece of work.

I asked him:  "What is the most important thing in the world, to your son, right now?"

Dad: "Video games with his friends.  That is all he does. I have already threatened to take them away."

I recalled that I taught his older sister, last year, a  straight-A student.  (And a hard act to follow.)

I wondered if the son was being compared, and being punished  for not being her clone.

"Well, if ALL the power is in a parent, and no power to self-regulate is in the student, you are setting things up for rebellion!"

Dad:  "That has already happened."

I asked him to consider LISTENING to his son's ideas for raising his grades.  Then I gave him an assignment for Spanish class.  It was a father/son interview, where the student had to write how the father and son are different, similar, what interests/activities they are each good at, what activity they can do TOGETHER, and how the activity went over the weekend.  Due:  MONDAY.

The father's expression changed; and he stated that he saw he needed to spend more time having FUN with his son, instead of just laying out expectations and punishments.  (Dad gets an "A.")

HAPPY KIDS DO NOT USE DRUGS, GET PREGNANT, OR  KILL OTHER KIDS!!!!  :)

Read Bill Cosby's new Book:  "C'MON, PEOPLE!"  It reminds us adults to get involved and stay involved.

October 20, 2007, 1:09 pm CDT

Many schools do this!

Quote From: fromthesquare

Are you in school?  You sound like you have a real understanding of bullies and bullying.  It is hard for teachers because they are supposed to get kids through the mandated materials and state testing.  On top of that they have to deal with discipline issues.  I see what you mean though.  Perhaps schools could hold an assembly now and then allowing kids to act out being bullies and being bullied.  Sensitivity training of sorts.  There should be a zero policy for bullies.  Not because they might become crazed killers but because bullying hurts.   I think the issue should be at least occasionally addressed in the schools.

The secondary schools where I have worked, here in California, do have a "zero tolerance" policy regarding bullying.  They do have school assemblies to address this behavior.

HOWEVER, when kids learn how to recognize it at school, and go HOME where they see it every day, it is a huge dilemma!   Their own parents and families are CONTRADICTING what we teach is civil behavior.

ABUSE is LEARNED---it must be UN-LEARNED.

ABUSE is a PATTERN of disrespect, selfishness, and cruelty toward others.

We must teach that BEHAVIOR is a choice---and it carries consequences. 

School bullying is an extension of homelife.   They cannot be bullies at school--- but "angels" at home.

First | Prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next | Last