Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2007, 7:49 am CDT

HITTTING THE NAIL ON THE HEAD

Quote From: longwalker

As the parent of a recent college graduate, let me give you some advice. Let your son go to school and enjoy the most wonderful time of his life. He got a scholarship. Congratulations to both of you. And why in the world are you worrying your life away about getting a call in the middle of the night that something has happened to him? What a waste of time? I sure hope you haven't told him about any of that.

Let him go. He'll make new friends. He'll learn how to take care of himself. He'll make mistakes and learn on his own how to get over it. Just be there for him when he wants to talk. But for heaven's sake don't burden him with all of your angst. That won't do either of you any good. 

If I also add my opinion I think what you said is really a good point.  My son goes to high school right now and has learning disabilities.  He, like the others in his class, was not really mainstreamed into the children population of the rest of the students.  They were singled out to be picked on and bullied a lot.  One incident involved was my son went to the restroom and two other boys went in there too.  They cornered my son to beat the crap out of the "retard" (by the way, I hate that word).  My son thankfully got away and went to get help.  Those two boys were suspended for two weeks.  Ten unexcused absences and you repeat your grade.  Those were considered unexcused absences and the two boys repeated their grade.  It doesn't matter if we are so frightened about gun violence when there are so many other forms.  If a child is going to let go, he/she doesn't need a gun to do it.  Knives and other weapons are to be brought to light as well.  By the way, not to trivialize these incidents but I think we forgot that there is a serious problem with drugs and alcohol and how many people are killed every year under the influence.  We also know that no many how many restrictions we put on gun control, there is always a way of getting one.  If you send your son to college with fear, is he really going to learn in the classroom or be looking around to see if he can find that one person who will kill him.  Let him enjoy all the positive experiences that college can offer.  If you send him with the knowledge of all the problems that face him and not instill fear, he will have memories and schooling to go far in this world.  Thank you for giving my opinion whether you agree or disagree with me.

October 12, 2007, 7:51 am CDT

In My Thoughts and Prayers

I live 30 miles from the small community of Crandon, WI and do have ties to the community. This is such a terrible tragedy for everyone Including the Peterson family, they also lost a son.  My thoughts and prayers are with them today as they begin the difficult task of burying their young loved ones.  Out of respect for each family they will be burying one victim a day, with the shooters funeral being last (this was the request of the Peterson family out of respect for the victims). Pastor Bill Farr of the Parise Chapel Community Church has been the rock of the Crandon community. The local NBC station has kept the Northwoods informed as things develop in Crandon. In an interview with Pastor Bill Farr he has stated that there is a fund set up for the funeral expenses of the victims. No one planned for their young ones to be buried so soon. I will leave the address if anyone wishes to contribute. Pastor Farr said that money has started to trickle in and that each family will need 4 to 5 thousand dollars each for funeral expenses. Thank you Dr. Phil for addressing this and the other senseless acts that have taken place. I want to blame all of us for letting the outside world provide so many of the values and ethics for our young ones and our society. Letting Hollywood provide very violent movies for our "entertainment". Our kids think they can shoot things up and the victims just get up and walk away, like in the movies. Shame on all of us for keeping our heads in the sand.  We all have to get rid of the attitude that this is someone else's problem. This is real. Could your family be next? Are you ready if it is? Hug you kids today and thank the good Lord that they are with you. Thank you,  Sue

The address for contributions to the victims family is Laona State Bank P O Box 395 Crandon, WI. 54520

October 12, 2007, 8:00 am CDT

DON'T TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT TO OWN MY GUN

Quote From: bree4me

This is the reason I have such a HATE for guns!!! And this constitutional right everyone complains about I have a right!! Crap, do you not remember when the constitution was written??? Back then it was a wilderness with wild animals and a new land with people who needed protection. It was a different time. People always say guns don't kill people, people kill people!!!!!!!!!!! BALONEY, if they weren't here, there wouldn't be this problem. No one in my family EVER owned a gun and I don't advocate anyone owning one! They are nothing but  problems waiting to happen. To easy to obtain, to easy to use, to easy to kill with. PERIOD. I love your show Dr. Phil I try to watch every day!!!!

The reason for having a gun today is more important than the times which you have mentioned. They are drugs and gangs. Gang members are our modern day wild animals. My husband and I grew up with guns and we both have our concealed weapons permits as does our 22 year old daughter. She was raised to be responsible around guns just as we were. Guns are not as easy to get as a car is and on any given day of the week more people are killed in car wrecks than by a gun. This is a fact. Are we to deny car ownership? You say you hate guns but if you were in a situation where somebody was going to harm you and someone with a gun saved you butt, you would be most grateful, I am sure.

October 12, 2007, 8:05 am CDT

Homecoming Shooting

First of all, my prayers go to the family of all concerned in this Homecoming shooting.  But, I actually want to make a comment about all the news stories yesterday regarding the shootings in the different schools.  Why can't anyone see that the problem is not only with the person doing the shootings but with the kids in our schools being mean?  We need more education for those kids that continue to mistreat kids that are different, that look different, that dress different.  I believe that not only do the kids in schools have to be taught to treat people better but I also believe it starts in the home.  Parents should be ashamed of their childern who mock and tease other kids in their schools and I believe they are sometimes to blame just as much for the action of their children.  Parents need to teach their children starting at a young age how to treat others that are less fortunate or troubled.  Love is the answer and it starts in the home.  I always taught my childern to "smile" at everyone that they walked by in the hallways of their school.  Just a simple smile can change or make someones day.

October 12, 2007, 8:06 am CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

This is a terrible tragedy.  These crimes are a direct result of a decline in moral values in today's society. 

There are members of our society who feel that moral values are no longer relevant in today's world.  Parents either don't teach these values at home or leave it to others.  We also lack good "role models" for our youth.  Children who bully others lack self esteem and self confidence and by being a bully they validate their self worth. 

October 12, 2007, 8:09 am CDT

Okay at the risk of sounding un-compassionate, here is what I think. I am a mom of 5 wonderful children and I still have a few years before High School, but it does weigh in on mine and my husbands minds. I have mixed feelings about what is going on with these kids. In one hand we see so many parents just not plugged in, even when problems arise in the early years. They either live in denial or just refuse to deal with their children at all.

In another hand there are parents plugged in and asking for help and no one will help them. We know this first hand. Then when something tragic happens people want to blame the parents, but if they are not helped when they ask for it how are they going to rectify the problem.

Then it comes down to ...... Kids don't know how to deal with disappointment and in turn parents don't know how to help them deal with it either. I have learned over the years how to help my kids deal with disappointment. It's not a thing you just know how to handle, no one wants to see their kid  sad or hurt, but it is what helps them grow. Though out elementary school and even some in middle school every one makes the team, everyone gets a turn and everyone is a winner. And then all of a sudden you hit high school and people get cut from the team, hormones and emotions fill their bodies and some one comes in last.

Now I'm not saying that a child should always feel defeat, but they need to learn how to loose as well as win. Kids need to learn that you actually grow and learn more from disappointment and failure. But if you don't learn in the early years that you can't have every thing you want, that you can't always come in first, that someone has to come in last and that is okay. Then how can we expect them to deal with it when they are trying to become the adult that they are going to be? In high school teens just don't open up and talk to adults like they did when they were in elementary school. My husband and I are sometimes brutally honest with our kids, my mom gets upset sometimes because we explain too much to them. We look at it like this ..... If a question is asked our kids know we will give them an honest and up front answer, no evading the questions. We keep an open line of communication, all 5 of our kids know that they can come to us with a problem, a question, for comfort and infarct they do. I know the tough years haven't hit us yet, but I believe laying a strong foundation is the key.

I guess I think the main problem is both parents and kids alike are not equip to handle stress or disappointment. Parents just don't know how to help their kid and the kids just doesn't know how to deal with it. You just don't have to anymore until you hit those middle and high school years. Are we asking too much from our teens of America to find their way on their own? Or could we help them some by teaching them that disappointment and failure is okay as long as you learn from it and grow from it and move past it.

My kids just don't say "It's not fair!!!"  My answer has been and always will be "Life's not fair, learn it now and you'll be ahead of the game! Learn from your mistakes and grab a hold of your boot straps and pull up, hold your head high and love who you are!"

October 12, 2007, 8:10 am CDT

GUNS

I have hated guns all of my life.  I wouldn't allow my children, born in 1962 &1964, to have play guns; however, their grandma bought them toy guns.  I wouldn't let them play with sticks of any kind because they could lose an eye

Imagine my disgust, and fear when I was married to an abuser, who owned 2 guns (he is dead now from cancer).  He had a 30 ought 6 rifle that according to him would bring down an elephant, and he owned a 38 special.  He had horrible rages.  I learned much later that athough he had ceased to drink alcohol; he still had the personality of an alcoholic.

Please Dr. Phil do what you can to get guns off of the streets, and especially out of homes & out children's hands.  My sister teaches 7th graders and there is a zero tolerance for any kind of weapon in school.  Put watchdogs in the schools, as we have Neighborhood Watches in our state; let's have protection all of in our shools.

Who cares if someone can hunt?  And a peson doesn't hunt with an auomatic weapon.  Where were those parents when these individuals were collecting guns?

October 12, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

Quote From: bjk100

I am beginning to get more and more concerned about letting my son attend college away from home. Just yesterday someone walked into a school in the town where my son is to attend technical college and shot 14 people. I dont want my son, who comes from a small town, to have to be in fear of his life durring this special time in his life. He won a $5,000 scolarship to Ohio Techinal College and is thrilled to death. He is a senior this year and has such a promising life ahead of him. I biggest dread is that phone call in the middle of the night telling me he has died due to some random stupid act of voilence.

I watch you every day and really get a lot of insight from your shows.

Bonnie K****, Niles Michigan

We sent our son to a 4 year college this year in the same state.  We talked to the college about security  both on campus and  the dorms. We reviewed everything.  They have phones for security all over campus. The Dorms allow entrance by college ID only.  The lobby security won't allow anyone into the Dorm until they talk to the student who lives there. I realize it is no guarantee.  But ask a lot of questions.  Most colleges are taking this seriously. They are also getting tougher on drinking giving tickets, court dates, fines , community service working with the local DA.  But  the college experience and degree  is wanted for him.   It  is scary. But in one year he has grown and matured.  Good Luck   Just know there are a lot of parents in the same sitution.

October 12, 2007, 8:13 am CDT

Quote From: marthalew

You just may be on to something.......check out the WEB BOT PROJECT to see just what collective consciouness can predict.

You may not live in La La land but there is something wrong with your thinking, we are being subjected to

mind control from another nation???  How about our value system as a society, how about the number of people who own weapons regardless of their mental stability? How about our lack of empathy for each other?   Our whole culture which thrives on delving deeper and deeper into the lives of messed up super stars instead of funding daycare programs, providing health care to all, caring for our most vulnerable, the really important issues. Micheal Moore offers some interesting observations on the American gun mentality in bowling for Columbine, he may be an important visionary for the American people. 

I offer my heart felt sympathy to the families involved, including the shooters.  Celtic in Canada

October 12, 2007, 8:17 am CDT

My prayers and sympathies goes out to the victims families.  I simply feel that this is another tragic incident as a result of DOMESTIC VIOLENCE / ABUSE.  As most of you are aware, Domestice Violence in simpler definition is "the need to control another" and the way it's done can be different for many people.  I am sure this happens all over the country, and especially here in Hawaii, Domestic Violence is far way overlooked.  Alot of the cases here involve the use of illegal drugs such as methamphetamine, etc. , which obviously alters a person's mind.  Although that may not have been the case in this incident, the need to "control" the other person along with jealousy were probably his biggest desires to result in something like this.  Domestic Violence is not just for "lower class people" nor do you have to be an uniformed officer.  It can happen to anyone from any class of life, anywhere around the world.

I myself being a victim of Domestic Violence have had many things done to me and my children that were overlooked by the authorities (child welfare services, my local police department and even our judicial system).  I'm trying not to continue living my life feeling like a "victim", however I do live in total fear of this man on a daily basis because he is an abuser of crystal methamphetamine.  We've been separated for 3 years now but he continues to stalk me, harass me at work and at home with each time it happens a new police report is made.  I was told that I cannot get a restraining order at this point because he hasn't physically harmed or threatened me or my children.  This alarms me because I feel that if my situation doesn't come to a close soon, me or my children will get seriously hurt by this man even though I've been trying to take the steps to prevent it.

In no way am I trying to put down any law enforcement officer.  I do realize that they put their lives on the line as well on a daily basis.   All I can suggest is that they get provided with more training on how to handle such cases of Domestic Violence.  As for this recent tragedy, my opinion is that maybe all law enforcement officers should have periodic screenings for stress management as a result of their daily duties.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last