Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2007, 8:27 am CDT

WE NEED TO WAKE UP

As I write this - I am listening to my local news (Phila., Pa.) about an situation at a Phila. suburb school that could have been a tragedy but luckily someone saw the handwritings & did something about it.  Our children ARE GROWING UP too fast.  They never had time to be kids.  They are exposed to TOO MUCH grow-up things such as sex, love relations, etc.  We need to get back letting kids be kids & let them grow-up when they are ready.  They have too much peer pressure too soon.  Also, parents we need to be just that - PARENTS & not there BEST FRIENDS!  Yes, we can be there for them but stop trying to be their friends.

I will watch the show & pray for the family.

October 12, 2007, 8:28 am CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: joshuatree48

I graduated high school in 1976.  This stuff just didn't happen then.  It was unheard of.  I believe the reason kids are going "ballistic" these days is simple.  Just like drugs, they have access to things we never had. Guns, knives, drugs, alcohol, violent video games - - its all around them.  I think the only solution to tame these out of control kids is to crack down big time.  Parents give into their whims because their children's friends have it all.  They feel guilty if they dont provide them with the latest, newest thing.  I lived without a cell phone and I'm doing just fine.  Parents are handing children things they should not have access too.  And what their parents won't give them, they can find easily on the streets.  I say go back to uniforms in school, no driving off campus for lunch, bring back curfews that are reasonable, and the list can go on and on.  We need to turn to the past way of life in order to control the future.  Morals are out the window.  Kids are depressed because they don't have every single thing their peers had.  They EXPECT a car for their 16th birthday.  Out the window is the notion they need to work to earn it.  It's a sad day.  I was the most "uncool" mom on earth, divorced and left to raise 2 girls on my own with no child support from their dad who could not be located.  My girls were PO'd, would occasionally say "I hate you," etc., when I said no.  But now I have my oldest in medical school and my youngest is married and has a baby on the way with a wonderful husband.  Now they thank me for saying no.  Some of their friends didn't fare so well with their lives, the one's who had it all.  Lets get back to basics.  That's what it's going to take.

I absolutely agree with you!! The kids I see who are out of control and expecting everyone to meet their every needs are the poor kids whose parents needed to be their friends!  Their parents could not and did not say no, they condoned and abetted underage drinking and wild behaviour and blamed others when things went wrong for their kids.  Kids need to learn how to govern themselves, need to learn respect and empathy for others and need consequences for their behaviour.  I was a single parent with three children,

working poor, I remarried and we had another child, all our children were required to be accountable and made pretty uncomfortable when they did not do so. All our kids have or are working on degrees., we are close to them and love and respect them.  Recently I said to one of our sons, a teacher, I guess we could have been a bit kinder and gentler when you guys were young, I sometimes wish we had used other methods.  He said mum I intend to raise my kids like you raised me, it kept me honest and I always knew I could count on you to give me the straight goods.

So don't be afraid to take the lead parents, your kids are crying out for your attention! 

Police

I have not watched this show yet.  I am in central time, so it does not air until 3p.here. But I wanted to make a comment on this.  First my deepest sympathy to everyone in this community and to all who have been affected by this.  I cannot fathom dealing with this kind of tragedy.  I think back to the Columbine incident.  Every year on April 20, my youngest daughters bday, we would go to Dallas for a day of shopping etc. The year this happened we were like most people.  Shocked, disbelief,distraught, worried, you name it.  As I drove to our high school in Norman,Ok( this is where OU is located), to pick up my daughter one of our security officers (who was also a Norman Police Officer) was sitting outside the school on his bicycle.  I held up the current issue of Time magazine.  This had the picture of both boys who had committed this unspeakable act of violence and labeled them "MONSTERS"  I ask the officer "what are we doing to keep this from happening here"  His reply to me was something I have not forgotten in all these years.  He looked at me and said "WE ARE MAINTAINING STATUS QUO."  I was shocked.  I come from a family of cops and law enforcement, all in other towns. and was stunned.  Looking back, I still hear his words and wonder what would happen if.............

books mentioned

i was wondering what the name of the books were and where i can find them. 

October 12, 2007, 8:33 am CDT

Quote From: longwalker

Allow me to comment on this. The International Crime Victims Survey showed that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations. In England 26% of the population had been the victim of violent crime. Australia, who also took guns from its citizens, led the list with 30% of its population being victimized. The US did not even make the list. All types of crime are high in countries where the government has taken the right to carry a gun from its citizens. And who would want to live in a country where the police could not carry guns? I sure wouldn't be bragging about that. And don't get into that tripe about disenfranchised people. These are people who can not handle their anger or some perceived putdown to themselves. One thing that would protect our children is to send all teachers to a top notch gun safety course and teach them practical shooting so that they can stop these shooters before it turns into Columbine or Virginia Tech. An armed teacher at either one of those schools would have saved a lot of lives. The reason the crime rate is low in states that have given their citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon is because the criminals know we are not pushovers like in other countries. If these students knew that the teachers had guns and would not hesitate to protect the kids in their classes, we would see these shootings stop.

Where did you get this information? I checked on the internet, and the only survey I found was from 1996, 11 years ago

October 12, 2007, 8:33 am CDT

Needless Dealths

Killing of others is so needless. Our hearts go out to all that have had loved ones killed. Our son was murdered in 1992. By one of his friends, over money. People blame guns, well it's not guns. It is sick people. If it's not a gun it would be something else. My son was tortured & killed. He was missing for 3 yrs. If it wasn't for a very special police officer of the El Monte, Ca. police force. I never would have been able to put my son to rest. Lt. Raneer  promised me he would find my son & bring him home to me. And he did just that.  This man being a police officer had nothing to do with what he did. Neither did his family.

I feel if someone feels the need to kill, just kill yourself. Why hurt others because your mind is sick. The world is getting sicker all the time. I hate the thougfht of the world that my grandkids are growing up to be apart of.  I do believe if parents spent more time giving there kids love instead of material things, the world would improve. Wanting your kids to have a better life then you did is great. Start with Love & spending time together.. That's what every kid needs.

October 12, 2007, 8:37 am CDT

Where is the schools responsibility in this?

I read that the young man in question  for the latest school shooting had been complained on by students and some staff. Since this episode has not aired here, I have not heard the story.  Only read about it.  However when are schools and administrators going to take this seriously?  The boys parents?  Is it true they continued to purchase weapons of different kinds for him. What????  If what I have read is true, this school must be held liable for most of this.  Parents too!  He was obviously struggling somewhere deep inside and no one took him seriously.  Where were the metal detectors?  Being moved around.  They had knowledge of this childs problems and once again sat back and did nothing to prevent it.  What is it going to take?

October 12, 2007, 8:40 am CDT

what can I do to protect my kids?

It's so hard being a parent in these days. I wonder how far should I go to protect my children? My son is in the 5th and my daughter is in the 3rd. They go to a new school this year since we moved last summer. Their old school was very good; they never had any trouble and great friends. Now, I am a lot more concerned for their safety and wonder if what happened in the news could happen here. The first week of school, my son comes home and tells me that there were 3 fights at recess; one in which a teacher was hit! A few weeks later, he tells me that a boy hit him! This never happened at their old school. And the crazy thing is...we are still in the same city. We just moved to a different neighborhood and a new school district. Why are the schools so different? Why are the 'tolerance' levels so different? In fact, when my son told the teacher that was out there during recess, she just shrugged it off and told him that they have had trouble with that boy hitting people. And that was all she did about it. Fortunately, my husband contacted the principle and we nipped it in the bud right away. But I still feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. My daughter is fine; she is alot more outgoing and makes friends at an easier pace than my son ( he's the one I worry about). He has always been shy and very sensative which seems to attract bullies like a magnet. After these recent horrible school shootings, I feel more and more pulled in the direction of home schooling!!!!! I don't want to take that drastic of an action but I really feel like this school is closing their eyes to the problems they have. What do I do?

I really wish Jay could come to this school and open the eyes of the faculty and help the students.

Thanks

October 12, 2007, 8:43 am CDT

Hey Longwalker!!!

Quote From: longwalker

The reason for having a gun today is more important than the times which you have mentioned. They are drugs and gangs. Gang members are our modern day wild animals. My husband and I grew up with guns and we both have our concealed weapons permits as does our 22 year old daughter. She was raised to be responsible around guns just as we were. Guns are not as easy to get as a car is and on any given day of the week more people are killed in car wrecks than by a gun. This is a fact. Are we to deny car ownership? You say you hate guns but if you were in a situation where somebody was going to harm you and someone with a gun saved you butt, you would be most grateful, I am sure.

Guess what??

I AGREE with you on this one!!!!

October 12, 2007, 8:43 am CDT

Quote From: overwhelmedd

My child is in the second grade, age 7.  He has had a classmate for two years now whose behavior is very concerning.  This child tantrums nearly daily how he wishes he were dead, how he wishes someone would just shoot him in the head, how he wants to be stabbed in the heart --- and so much more.  I am at the school daily dropping my child off and picking him up.  My son and I have tried to reach out to this boy, as I believe love, kindness and friendship can fix nearly anything.  Unfortunately, this boy is unreachable.  He is hostile, aggressive and angry. 

My feeling is he is a potential ticking time bomb.  He has attacked school staff -- biting, kicking, swearing.  From speaking  my concerns with his teacher, his home life is less than reassuring.  He has a young mother who just delivered a new baby with her new husband, not his father.  This child is screaming for attention and understanding, but I seem to be the only one concerned.

Who do I reach out to about a possible future tragedy regarding this child??  I don't know where to go.  I can't get anyone to take this seriously.

Hi, as I was reading your post I began to cry.  I have a son who is also age 7 and in the second grade.  He too has a emotional / behavioral problem as a resulf of being a "Child Witness of Domestic Violence".  Lucky for him an me, he is doing much better than how he was when this all started at age 3.  I too had a very difficult time trying to get anyone to understand what my concerns were.  In the beginning, some of his behaviors were:  waking up several times a night screaming and saying that he is scared, regression of potty training (wetting the bed at night and soiling his clothes with his bowels), lots of heavy breathing due to anxiety and most of all hyperactivity which was to me obviously different from those of his same age.  When he first started preschool, he did almost the same things.... spitting at teachers, swearing, throwing chairs across the room as if to hit the teachers, etc.  I've taken him to his pediatrician several times but got looked at as if I was his problem.  I've had several exams done by a child psychiatrist and was told that all that behaviors where due to his age. 

Well I wasn't satisfied with any of those answers so I struggled to move on and continue to find him help.  I finally hooked up with an agency here called the Mental Health Association.  The woman was very understanding and immediately helped me get him help.  He's come a long way since the beginning of this happening.  He now has many services in place such as School Based Behavioral Counseling, a person who comes 2x's per week to take him into the community and work with him on social and behavioral skills, and he also see his psychologist 1x per week. 

In the case regarding your son's classmate, my question would be why isn't the school doing anything about it?  If they know what's going on in that child's home, especially if he is being neglected, they should be reporting it to the local child welfare services office.  It also sounds like more than just neglect.  He could be possibly being physically or mentally abused in some shape or form.  All school employees / authorities are mandated reporters which mean if they know something they are required by law to report it.  My suggestion to you is that you could call you local child welfare office annonymously and report it.  Better yet, if there are any other parents whose child is in the same class and know about the situation, maybe they can call to report as well.  You could also try taking it up a level and talking with the principal of the school since your concerns didn't get through with the teacher. 

I totally agree with you on the fact that this child needs help now....... when it is easier for him to make the necessary changes in his life.  Waiting until he is at age 15 or 16 is not only too late, but alot more difficult to get them to change their life around.  All children who is the around the same age as this child will display their anger, frustrations, and hurt through their behaviors, but the real sad part is that some people overlooked the behavior as if he is just being "a naughty boy" . 

I hope you the best of luck in trying to reach out for this child.  Just know that even if this boy is not my child, you are definitely appreciated for all that you're trying to do and I'm sure if he could express that, he would.  Good luck and hope you're able to find help soon.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last