Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2007, 8:44 am CDT

?"stupid'?

Quote From: hannonj

All too often, people who have no business having kids have them anyway and "stupid" people raise "stupid" children and so on and so on....
Comments like this are usuless and harmful.    I believe in life you must make choices,  not only for your personnel day to day life, but also your role in the social fabric of our country.  You can choose to be part of the every  growing decay , negativity and intolerance  (which this comment reflects)  or part of the solution  ,  compassion,  empathy ,  knowledge and understanding.

October 12, 2007, 8:45 am CDT

Homecoming massacre

I am from Canada, I am not saying that we are perfect, but c'mon .  There are too many guns not enough restrictions.  It is worrisome that it might spread up here.  I have watched in horror over the killing sprees in your country...Please do something before more people are murdered.

What a sad state of afffairs....I feel so bad for all the families involved my heart goes out to them all.

J...Ontario, Canada

October 12, 2007, 8:49 am CDT

The Secret

Has anyone heard of 'The Secret'?  It's a way of being that generally states that whatever you focus your energy on will come to you.  What I see in the US (I'm not an American) is that the media creates a lot of hype about these kinds of incidents and there is a lot of talk about it in the general public and consequently there is an abundance of energy spent on these situations and these people.  The result: what you focus your energy on will come to you.  Don't focus on what you don't want - 'we don't want violence'.  Instead, focus on what you do want ' - a happy, peaceful, productive society. 

And the media should stop making such a big deal out of this stuff.  Sometimes the killers think they're heroes or something for all the attention they get.  TV stations need to take responsibility for what kind of programmes they air.  I'm so sick of seeing violence all over the screen all the time.  We expose our children to blood and gore and horrific scenes, but let them see a ladie's breasts?  No way!  There is something wrong with these standards, and it is up to us to demand clean entertainment.

Please do not think for a second that I am saying that we should ignore what has happened in this town, nor reject the pain that the families are experiencing now.  I'm very sorry for their loss.  But there are so many good, wonderful, fantastic things happening in the world and we ought to remember that and be grateful.

With love,
Your friend in Finland.

October 12, 2007, 8:54 am CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: cmewin

I was not going to respond with a comment because people with opinions like yours are the ones who feed the ignorance of others.

Yes, you are permitted an opinion but opinions are like mouths, everyone has one. Just not everyone knows when to keep it shut.

Regulating guns has not made one ounce of difference in how many innocent people are killed by the stupidity of others. It is still happening everyday. There is nothing any one of us can do to change the way things are unless those of us who have children start doing better jobs of parenting and begin teaching our children the difference between right and wrong and  the value of life.  Everything comes down to free will and our ability to make the right decisions. God gave us all the ability to make the "choice". What you "choose" comes from what you are taught growing up. Too many of our children are left alone without supervision, abandoned, or learn from the examples shown by others.

So, I am not  going to take on the responsibility of being my brother's keeper or raise everyone else's child when it is a full time job tending my own family which includes a nine year old and three grandchildren.  Maybe if others tended their own "gardens"  and made sure that they were fed and weeded instead of worrying about everyone elses' then maybe we could start seeing some of the problems being solved before they take root.  Bring the Bible back to your homes/tables and into your children. As it has always been taught, "He is the Way, Truth and the Light".

Amen!! My kids have always had play guns in fact my 7 yr old and my two 10year olds all have air soft guns. My husband and I have taught them gun safety and respect for not only others, but the gun too! Unlike all of their friends, my boys do not run around shooting each other. They go out into the back yard and shoot at the practice target. I have two smaller children also and while teaching the older boys safety we are teaching the younger ones too. They know when someone has a gun they must stay behind the person with the gun.

I believe information is the key, knowledge is imparitive! It's not a gun who kills, it's the ignorant person behind it who does. The person holds not only life with no reguard, but has not been taught right from wrong!!! I believe that as parents we must help our children to make their own right decissions. We have always asked out kids what they think they could do to make a situation better and then hold them to it.

October 12, 2007, 8:58 am CDT

Listen to these children when they talk

A few years ago, I played an online game which involved a lot of IM's between the players. I would check my character every morning with my morning coffee before work. Sometimes  there would be other players and we would chat a bit before I signed off to get ready for work.

One morning there was a young man onine that played the game. He began to IM me and as I am a mature woman, I could tell that he was upset about something. I talked to him for a while and he told me that his girlfriend had dumped him and gave me a URL to a site he created in honor of her. It gave his real name on that page. Anyway, I continued to talk to him and found that another problem in his life was that he had been looking forward to a science fair at his school but that he had been disqualified due to the fact that he had gotten in trouble for fighting in school and had been suspended for a few days. He was angry, upset and told me that he was going to make everyone pay for barring him from the science fair to be held at his school the coming Saturday (this conversation was on a Wednesday). I had a bad feeling about what he was saying and gently attempted to get hiim to give me more details. He alluded to the fact that anyone could build a bomb as the info was on the 'Net and that he was intelligent enough to do that if he wanted. As the conversation continued, I could see that he was getting more 'dark' and believed that there was nothing left in life for him. He continued to talk about how everyone was going to pay but aside from the remark about the bomb building, he gave me no details. He did make a reference to Columbine and that I would hear his name on the news next Saturday.

This conversation was very upsetting to me as I could tell he was mentally unstable, feeling that his girlfriend needed to know that he loved her and would prove how much soon and wanting to pay back the teachers who had disqualified him from the science fair which he had been looking forward to for a long time and which he had taken a very long time putting together his project which he felt was the winning project should he be allowed to enter it. I did my best to dissuade him from taking any type of action and tried to cool him off but nothing I said seemed to do any good.

I finally signed off but printed out the IM log of the entire conversation. I then went to his other site and got his real name. I showed the log to my husband (who always believed I should stay out of situations on the internet) and he thought it sounded really disturbing and said I might want to contact the authorities so that they could look into it. When I got to work I called my local FBI office and talked to an agent about this. He had me fax a copy of the IM log over to him then called me back and told me that they needed the headers from an email from this kid so that they could trace his address. I emailed the young man and played on his ego by asking for help about the game. He emailed me back, and I faxed the email with the headers over to the FBI.

Aweek later, the FBI agent called me at work and told me that they had traced the address and had turned the information over to the Delaware State Police. They went to the house and found that the young man had built several pipe bombs and had access to weapons. He said that  they arrested the boy, confiscated all the computers in the house and that if I wouldn't had taken time to talk to this boy, there would had been a real tragedy.

The point I am trying to make is, do not take these threats with a grain of salt but listen to what they say and try to get information out of them and to contact the authorities. It's better to make one mistake and have it have no real basis than to ignore these kids and have a real tragedy. According to the FBI, if I wouldn't had taken the time to talk to the boy and then contact them, there could have been a loss of lives and thanked me for getting involved.

Listen to these kids and don't blow off what they say. You too could prevent a tragedy.

October 12, 2007, 9:01 am CDT

AGREE

Quote From: joshuatree48

I graduated high school in 1976.  This stuff just didn't happen then.  It was unheard of.  I believe the reason kids are going "ballistic" these days is simple.  Just like drugs, they have access to things we never had. Guns, knives, drugs, alcohol, violent video games - - its all around them.  I think the only solution to tame these out of control kids is to crack down big time.  Parents give into their whims because their children's friends have it all.  They feel guilty if they dont provide them with the latest, newest thing.  I lived without a cell phone and I'm doing just fine.  Parents are handing children things they should not have access too.  And what their parents won't give them, they can find easily on the streets.  I say go back to uniforms in school, no driving off campus for lunch, bring back curfews that are reasonable, and the list can go on and on.  We need to turn to the past way of life in order to control the future.  Morals are out the window.  Kids are depressed because they don't have every single thing their peers had.  They EXPECT a car for their 16th birthday.  Out the window is the notion they need to work to earn it.  It's a sad day.  I was the most "uncool" mom on earth, divorced and left to raise 2 girls on my own with no child support from their dad who could not be located.  My girls were PO'd, would occasionally say "I hate you," etc., when I said no.  But now I have my oldest in medical school and my youngest is married and has a baby on the way with a wonderful husband.  Now they thank me for saying no.  Some of their friends didn't fare so well with their lives, the one's who had it all.  Lets get back to basics.  That's what it's going to take.

Your are so right. Parents give into their kids too readily. You see it in some place like Wal-Mart, even if it is near Christmas. Kids are screaming to get a toy and the parents give in. So they are taught all they have to do is pitch a fit or try to embarass their parent in a store and they get their way. And they spend hundreds of dollars on those ridiculous video games machines with the expensive games. The kids are inside all the time playing the games and not outside playing and using their imagination and expending some of their energy. The parents use the games as a tyype of livein babysitter. The child is out of their hair ;what do they care? On top of no outlet for their natural energies, they are getting obese, right aloing with their parents. Maybe if time went back to when moms and dads took time to go outside together and play and interact, the children would get the feeling that somebody cared. And don't give me that "I work and I don't have time." This is your child. Take time. We did with our daughter and my husband and I both worked full time. The memories will be around long after the video machine has been dumped in the trash.

October 12, 2007, 9:03 am CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: fromthesquare

Guess what??

I AGREE with you on this one!!!!

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

October 12, 2007, 9:07 am CDT

WEBSITE

Quote From: drendo1

Where did you get this information? I checked on the internet, and the only survey I found was from 1996, 11 years ago
Go to www.worldnetdaily.com. The info was from March 2001.

October 12, 2007, 9:12 am CDT

Tyler Peterson

Friday, October 12, 2007
MontrEal, QuEbec, Canada

Tyler Peterson, part-time police officer, deputy sheriff at age 20?  Why part-time.  Why deputy sheriff at age 20.  I've heard on the Dr Phil Show that the human brain is not fully matured until age 25 or so.  Maybe nobody should be deputy sheriff before age 25.  Shooting one's girlfriend (or boyfriend) at age 20 indicates something in someone's family culture that might have led the shooter to believe that this was justified?  What pastimes or games did Tyler Peterson have, between age 10 and 15?  What were his main influences or role models, growing up?  I think that as a society, we need to examine those factors and then examine our culture, values.  What values did Tyler Peterson grow up with?  Any spiritual life?  Did his parents teach him the Lord's Prayer?  Did his parents talk to him about God and about each of us having a high price in the eyes of God? 

Alex
Catholic Writer and French Editor
xx : ) (cross)

October 12, 2007, 9:17 am CDT

Breakdown

My father told me one time that because of the breackdown of the "American Family", the world seemed to be falling apart. I today totally agree, mothers are acting as fathers because they are in the workfield and who is watching the "kids ?". When I grew up in Detroit, there were rules that me and my 5 other sibling had to follow. We had no video games, cell phones, and we sure didn't sit in front of a television with sexual content 24/7. We played outside, rode our bikes, used our imagination to make up games, but our mother knew where we were every minute. (trust me her mind was never off her kids) I'm not saying all, but most fathers are busy running from child support or trying to prove that because of divorce they have no reponsibility and it's time to get back on the race track of dating. Living and growing up with in secure lifestyles and step- fathers and mothers can only produce an unstable children. No matter how you may be raising your child, some day they will have to walk out into this world and meet these children that never knew what  normal is. It doesn't have to just start with concerned citizens, it is so out of control it has to be every where. Schools, churches any organization that has contact with young people. They need to have qualified people there that can recognize and help a child in distress. I know where I live now the help for emotional problems is zero. Medical doctors are prescribing medicenes that they know nothing about, which only creates another type of monster. When the "Virginia Killings", happened I heard officals talk about how there needed to be more people on staff that could recognize these problems........well, where are they? Our children are our future, think about it, one of our kids today will be a world leader tommorrow............................

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last