Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2007, 5:14 am CDT

Guns

Hello from Quebec, Canada

I would be so worried if I lived in the States.  When are they going to prohibit ordinary people from having weapons?  It is beyond me.  I can't see any benefit to this at all.

Also about this recent rampage by the 20 year old - didn't his family realize that something was wrong with him?  If my 20 year old had an arsenal like that I would have certainly done something about it.

Fortunately aside from the Montreal Tech shootings about 10 years ago things like that rarely happen here.   Thank goodness.

My heart goes out to the families who were affected by this.  It must be heartbreaking.

Ivy Tremaine, Saguenay QC

October 12, 2007, 5:37 am CDT

school shootings

Quote From: bjk100

I am beginning to get more and more concerned about letting my son attend college away from home. Just yesterday someone walked into a school in the town where my son is to attend technical college and shot 14 people. I dont want my son, who comes from a small town, to have to be in fear of his life durring this special time in his life. He won a $5,000 scolarship to Ohio Techinal College and is thrilled to death. He is a senior this year and has such a promising life ahead of him. I biggest dread is that phone call in the middle of the night telling me he has died due to some random stupid act of voilence.

I watch you every day and really get a lot of insight from your shows.

Bonnie K****, Niles Michigan

This has got to stop happening.  What have we become as a society and why is this happening at such an alarming rate?  My deepest sympathies go to the families.  God bless you all. 

October 12, 2007, 5:40 am CDT

My Heart Goes Out To You....

I am horrified to hear of this tragic event.... I send all my love and wishes to everybody who has lost, loved, cared for, is hurting, or in anyway affected by this terrible circumstance.  For those who are now gone I hope that they and their family's find the peace that they need.  This is another sad day in our world's history...

October 12, 2007, 5:49 am CDT

Law Enforcement

Quote From: cmewin

My husband and I want the families to know that they are in our prayers. This has hit us hard from a different point as my husband is a Deputy Sheriff in our hometown and whenever he reads about someone in law enforcement doing something this horrific it breaks his heart.

So we are both very sad that this happened and only wished there were clear cut reasons.

From a Law Enforcement Family in Ohio

This is sad for are low enforcement.  I feel that people have lost respect for them.  And when thing like this happen it don't help.  I want all the family's of low enforcement to know that I respect them and there job.  I wish there was a way to change the way people feel about them.  God Bless them all.

((((Hugs)))) Connie

October 12, 2007, 5:54 am CDT

Imformation about Oklahoma

We are desinging  schools without lockers.We have a police force training as I write for these matters.We also have k-nine dogs at several schools as the children enter.I wonder if they are trained for such a incident as this that happened.It happened here i Oklahoma and God knows we were shocked.I think the day is near when the metal detectors will be in force in all schoold to check back packs, etc:

God help these families! I just can't imagine this happening today. My husband at a very young age went  rabbit hunting on his way to & from school & left his gun in the cloak room. Just imigane such a thing today.When Americans decieded to leave God out of schools, makes me wonder if this didn't cntribute to some of this.

God Bless.

Peggy

October 12, 2007, 6:00 am CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

This is so sad.  I'm from the Northwoods, (Phelps, Wisconsin) and our schools used to compete in basketball.  The towns are so small, most don't even have football teams, not enough players.  It was nothing to drive two hours for a game.  Atleast, that's how it was when I went to school.  So, I'm sure all the kids really knew each other - each others families - each others backgrounds - it was like one big family.  This is such a tradegy for all concerned.  Guns were not weapons as much as they were hobby - everyone went hunting.  Guns were sport.  Unfortunately, we live in such a different world today.  It's just so sad.

Let's pray for that entire community.

October 12, 2007, 6:21 am CDT

Agree With You

Quote From: karlagolay

I was doing pretty good with your reply...

But I could not get around this.

You said,"

I was not going to respond with a comment because people with opinions like yours are the ones who feed the ignorance of others.

Yes, you are permitted an opinion but opinions are like mouths, everyone has one. Just not everyone knows when to keep it shut.

Sir,

The Christians I know do not speak to me like that whether they agree with me or not. How can you expect for me to respect you and consider your reply using that tone with me?

I agree with much of what you said, Parents are important beyond measure.

I will not accept or consider the replies of writers with bad manners.

I totally agree with you.  This man should not have been so rude.  He has some really good points but the way he responded to you makes all of us (pro gun) sound like ***holes.  I didn't used to be pro gun but I have changed my mind.  People are right,  we have had guns in America since our founding fathers.  It has just begun to be a problem in the last few years.  We have to teach our children to respect themselves and others and to know what a gun can actually do not what they see on TV.  We have taught our son to respect himself, others and he has also had a gun safety course.  He has been in 4H trapshooting for several years now and won more trophies than I can count.  I can assure you my son knows what a gun can do and wouldn't even think about hurting someone with it.  One of the parents on his team has a bumper sticker that says "hunt with your kids, not for them."  Even if you don't agree with hunting the message is the same.  Spend time with your kids, know where they are and who they are with AND LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU DO CARE ABOUT THEM.  THAT THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE.  This doesn't happen anymore.  People are too busy making money, partying, or involved with their own hobbies to take the time for their kids.  This is what has got to change!

October 12, 2007, 6:28 am CDT

Quote From: bjk100

I am beginning to get more and more concerned about letting my son attend college away from home. Just yesterday someone walked into a school in the town where my son is to attend technical college and shot 14 people. I dont want my son, who comes from a small town, to have to be in fear of his life durring this special time in his life. He won a $5,000 scolarship to Ohio Techinal College and is thrilled to death. He is a senior this year and has such a promising life ahead of him. I biggest dread is that phone call in the middle of the night telling me he has died due to some random stupid act of voilence.

I watch you every day and really get a lot of insight from your shows.

Bonnie K****, Niles Michigan

As the parent of a recent college graduate, let me give you some advice. Let your son go to school and enjoy the most wonderful time of his life. He got a scholarship. Congratulations to both of you. And why in the world are you worrying your life away about getting a call in the middle of the night that something has happened to him? What a waste of time? I sure hope you haven't told him about any of that.

Let him go. He'll make new friends. He'll learn how to take care of himself. He'll make mistakes and learn on his own how to get over it. Just be there for him when he wants to talk. But for heaven's sake don't burden him with all of your angst. That won't do either of you any good. 

October 12, 2007, 6:34 am CDT

terrified and concerned

About 9 months ago my teenager and her friends went to the mall to shop and hang out.  I was home watching tv and doing household stuff when a breaking news story flashed on the screen.  There was a violent brawl at the mall where my daughter was.  The first thought was I hope they are ok then the next thought was oh no I hope there were no guns.  The news report said there were injuries but no details yet.  As it turns out, one of my daughters friends was in a store on lock down and one of the injured teen managed to escape to.  The girls saw this teen bloody and confused.  My daughter had the good sense to call me and assure me she was ok but had gotten separated from her group in the mob scene that took place.  I was a wreck until all the kids arrived back to my house.  Even though there were no guns, it was scary and concerning as a parent , is there any safe place for our kids to be???  Or even us as citizens of the U.S. cant we just go places or be in our own home without the fear of voilence? 

October 12, 2007, 6:37 am CDT

Yesturday I saw a 14 yr old client who is bullied on a day to day basis.  When I asked her about talking to her counselor she stated the counselor was too busy with academic duties and was not there to talk about personal issues.  The counselors IN the schools refer out to local psychologists rather than help them there.  She states bullying is allowed.  Now, I have a client I saw last week that goes to a different school and he was being bullied in Middle School and just began the high school and was sick of being bullied by the same kids. He talked to the asst principal and was informed they have a zero tolerance policy for bullying and he called the 3 boys down and said this is your only warning anymore reports of bullying and suspension.  The bullying stopped so far.  So this school is being proactive, (not the middle school), and not the other school.  So why would it be so hard for to make it a state wide or nation wide policy for zero tolerance for bullying.  Not to mention have psychologists in the school to help people with anger issues before they get out of high school.  I know the schools have no money.  How sad!  How am I suppose to help a kid build their selfesteem and get over the years of bullying when it continues on a day to day basis.  It's amazing how many adults I see also that have issues stemming from bullying and teasing in middle and high school.  Some have better home environments that are supportive so they are more stable.  Others don't have the support at home and are teased and bullied there too.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last