Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2007, 1:07 pm CDT

Computer Games NOT at fault!

Quote From: jdillner

Today's youth are desensitized to death by training that they receive in killing in video games.  This is contributing to the mass killing that we are seeing today.  In the past, an impulse killer might stop after being revulsed by the blood and gore that he had caused, but today's youth are not stopped by seeing blood and gore, because they are so used to seeing it on the screen. 

You can defend these games all you want, but it is undeniable that they contribute training in mass murder in these children's lives. 

There is no direct evidence to support this claim.

Indeed, I believe that there is a direct link between these shootings  and the increased pressures kids feel to fit into society norms and achieve. Almost all these kids come from outstanding families that are well liked in the community before the shootings occure.

The solution: We should be celebrating our differences and accepting the differences in others. No child should be forced to fit into a mold of what the perfect kid is. Indeed, some of our greatest scientists and acheivers of our age all had unussual personality traits. Maybe to be a dreamer or visionary, it requires not fitting into the norm.

We should be happy to have children that don't quite fit in. And help them to be proud of who they are.

October 12, 2007, 1:08 pm CDT

War on Guns

The right to bear arms in america strikes me as one of the foremost causes of these tragic school shootings. I do not in any way discount mental disease or childhood abuse. I just think it is far too easy for children to gain access to deadly weapons without the benefit of training, education, and safety restrictions. It is my opinion that anyone under the age of eighteen should be strictly forbidden to have access to firearms. I personally know people who think it is a right of passage for a father to introduce his children to guns for the purpose of hunting or target shooting. I am in total opposition to this. People under the legal age limit are under this limit for a reason. They do not have the capacity to make informed, educated, moral, and responsible decisions.  Why aren't we more concerned about the ease with which it is possible to aquire dangerous and deadly weapons? The war on drugs...the war on terror...how about a war on weapons? Enough people have been killed and enough lives ruined.

October 12, 2007, 1:09 pm CDT

Parents beware

I am a mom of three children, one in high school and two at home.  I do not consider myself overprotective, however, in the instances of the school/workplace/mall shootings where the accused had a website or a blog where it was posted what they were about to do, I question the oversight of computer use.  I also strongly feel that kids who are abducted through "my space" and "facebook" etc. are not being monitored carefully.  As parents, we are stewards of our children until they are of age.  Let's step up to that task and be aware of what our kids are doing and who our children are befriending.  And, as alleged in the Pennsylvania incident (10/11) that was foiled, NO parent should be buying semi-automatic guns for their children.  Keep an open dialog with your kids as well.  As for the victims of all the shootings, I PRAY that we never become so desensitized that we forget human life is being taken for naught.

October 12, 2007, 1:11 pm CDT

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

I was disappointed that so much time was spent on the one question, Can we profile these individuals.  It seemed that the answer was given in the first 5 minutes and more time should have been spent with the students from Columbine who have been thru it.  At one point Craig was trying to give an answer on what could have been done to reach out to students like this but he was never able to finish.  Then after the break you went right back to the same question.  I think Craig could have offered the most insight into these shootings but he was only given a few moments.

October 12, 2007, 1:12 pm CDT

AMEN AND THANK YOU

Quote From: horriblestuff

I wish all of this would focus on the real issue here--domestic violence. 

There were so many people who said they were surprised that this could happen in a small town.  In small towns, we all know who is not being nice to their spouses/significant others.  We all ignore it as long as the violence stays in their  house and does not "bother" us.  This guy broke the unwritten rule and took others with the girlfriend.  Crazies do not make 5 days of national news by "just" killing their wife/girlfriend. Those ones are lucky to get a blurb in the local paper/newscast.  "We just don't talk about those things."

We turn our heads and pull our children away from people "making a scene" in public.  We walk away when others are being hurt, pushed around, or belittled by a "loved one" in public.  We do not encourage our daughters/sons to report dating violence because "he's young-we don't want to wreak his life over one little incident". We don't want to report the incident as domestic violence, because he might get his guns taken away(in WI they can, but rarely ever do). 

"Boys, will be boys." 

He was drinking and didn't know what he was doing.

He is so sorry he didn't mean it--he just lost it.

It's not our business.

Blah, blah, blah.............(did I get them all? Probably not)

Then something like this happens---and we're all surprised.  Wake up.  Until we quit letting "private" domestic violence happen--public domestic violence will still happen.  Until our girls/boys can talk freely about violence in relationships,in families, school---without people treating them like they have a disease--this will still happen.  When we can get law enforcement to arrest domestic violence perpetrators on domestic violence charges (even if they know them or their family or brother, whoever) this will happen.

When we all show our youth that relationships do not involve hurting each other with words, control or fists and we can talk about it to anyone then these incidents will stop. 

Quit giving violence a place to hide.  Quit being surprised.

Also--GO AWAY BAD MEDIA--leave them alone to grieve and get their babies buried.  Let their lives return to some sort of normalcy.  If you were helping--it would be different, but you are just being disrespectful vultures out for some other piece of blood.  Let them go to the grocery store, post office or get gas without a microphone in their faces.  GO AWAY.

Oh, kudos to Tri-County Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in Rhinelander,WI(http://www.tri-countycouncil.org/ )(1-800-236-1222 Call if you need help or need to talk) for the domestic violence candle light ceremonies for recognizing and acting the domestic issue.

Also, big kudos to the survivors of domestic violence who offered condolences, support and their stories-----you go ladies, what strong women you are!!

And here is a study on DV in WI from the LaFollette School of Pubic Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Center for Public Policy and the Status of Women group: 

Domestic Violence in Wisconsin: An Overview of Criminal Justice and Training Issues  by Michelle Woolery

link:  http://www.lafollette.wisc.edu/womenspolicy/WWPP/pdf/DVOverviewComplete.pdf

..............eye opening.............

(I do not work for Tri-County or LaFollete--just a concerned person showing resources) 

As a survivor of domestic violence myself, you put it beautifully and you are 100% on the money.  Thank you.

October 12, 2007, 1:13 pm CDT

safe disclosure available for students

Ii is over-time for schools to develop a system where students can give information like this and feel safe that other students will not hear about; be questioned in full view of other students; with knowledge of others as to who "squealed".  There are so many ways (systems) that students can tell an adult about what they know or have heard thru the "grapevine".  The WWW is a great venue for information to be fed back to the school without a student being afraid of retribution by any of his classmates.  There can be a place off campus where this info can be shared with adults in secret.  Children will not snitch if they feel there is anyway others cvan find out about it.  They won't even tell their own parents because other students will see these parents on campus and ask around to find out why.

Another thought....What community would make a 20 year old a deputy sherriff with a gun?  A 20-year old can not drink, but can be with 16 year old students at a party with his service revolver?  This community must be pretty deparate to hire some one so young and give him so much responsibility?

October 12, 2007, 1:14 pm CDT

Listen more to the ones who have been thru it.

I was disappointed that so much time was spent on the one question, Can we profile these individuals.  It seemed that the answer was given in the first 5 minutes and more time should have been spent with the students from Columbine who have been thru it.  At one point Craig was trying to give an answer on what could have been done to reach out to students like this but he was never able to finish.  Then after the break you went right back to the same question.  I think Craig could have offered the most insight into these shootings but he was only given a few moments.  Have less experts and give more time to those who have gone thru the situations you are talking about.  Only one sentance was given about how violent our TV, movies and video games are that these kids are bombared with n a daily basis.

October 12, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

homecoming shooting-

Hello all, Ok, i have to speak my mind here. I am watching the show in between phone ringing, door, etc. I have to say I am not agreeing with with the one woman who said that the children exhibit the behavour by age 7 or 8. My son who I beieve is fine now had a very bad time through grade school. The school was more and more multicultural and the same groups of  "second canadian" children harrassed my son continuously. He skipped many many days of school due to these children harrassing him. I went to the school and explained the situation, had many meetings in fact. He was stuck in this school up to grade 8 and had to put up with the crap for many years. IN fact he now goes to a high school miles away, just to avoid these kids that go to the school outside of our apartment. He often said he wanted to go back to that school and shoot it up. The hostillity in him made my heart sink. I said you dont mean this. He said oh yes I do. When I told him those kids dont go there anymore just like yourself, I was told so what. He told me the school did nothing to help him. I tell u they did not either. They constanly told him when they bother you just come and tell us. When he told them they said oh just go play somewhere else. They  the kids stole all his things, called him fat, and other degrading names. He never once said anything  bad about them. They made sure to always talk in their language  (which is so ignorant) to try to get a rise out of him. They were horrible children. So its something done to them that triggers it. Thanks Morav88

October 12, 2007, 1:20 pm CDT

Art

Children's art reveals volumes about their mental states and imaginings as well as creative writing in the upper grades.  This is also an outlet for them to vent, yet it has been taken out of the public school curriculum.  I think even an hour a week given to creative expression would enlighten adults(teachers etc to unusual and problematic musings) and help children release feelings of powerlessness.

I believe it would help to incorporate at least an hour per week into the curriculum.  Not to dump on the teachers, but to actually hire people to do these classes, maybe even psychologists.  I think it's important to give them a vent plus it often reveals problems that can be dealt with before they become homicidal.

October 12, 2007, 1:22 pm CDT

School Shootings

As a parent myself,  I feel there is too much violence on TV , video games, etc...and also talked about in front of the children when they are not old enough to comprehend what is being said. Not enough communication between adults and children at there level. So they understand that their is other ways to deal with there problems without violence.  I am very saddend for the parents and families of the people this has happened to. May God Bless you all!!  I think if the news would stop broadcasting this kind of stuff all the time. Would help somewhat, then the children would not be so eager to mimic it . 

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last