Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 20, 2007, 1:30 pm CDT

You GET it, Mitzisweets!

Quote From: mitzisweets

I think the main problem is that far too many people have guns in the U.S,.A. Without ready access to a gun there would be far fewer deaths. A closed door to the  cockpit would also reduce hijacking but maybe not eliminate it completely. I don't understand why hunters are against gun control. The guns used in hunting are different from the ones used to commit murder!

Mitzisweets

REDUCING violence is a realistic goal!   SAFETY PRACTICES will do that!

Elimination of violence is improbable, if not impossible.    It is like eliminating hatred.

I love kids; and I love the parents who love their kids and spend time with them.  They are valuable!

Thank God, there are more of you than there are violent people.

October 20, 2007, 5:40 pm CDT

Good Point

Quote From: readmore

The secondary schools where I have worked, here in California, do have a "zero tolerance" policy regarding bullying.  They do have school assemblies to address this behavior.

HOWEVER, when kids learn how to recognize it at school, and go HOME where they see it every day, it is a huge dilemma!   Their own parents and families are CONTRADICTING what we teach is civil behavior.

ABUSE is LEARNED---it must be UN-LEARNED.

ABUSE is a PATTERN of disrespect, selfishness, and cruelty toward others.

We must teach that BEHAVIOR is a choice---and it carries consequences. 

School bullying is an extension of homelife.   They cannot be bullies at school--- but "angels" at home.

This type of violence has to be learned at home first.  It is sad that the schools are left to try to deal with it.  My kids' schools have the hallways lined with "bully free zone" and "bully" with a circle and a line through it.  But they are just posters.  I was shocked when I visited the middle school to find kids shoving each other into lockers and laughing.  This apparently is how they say hello.  There was no one telling them not to.  Luckily my kids have plenty of friends in school.  I teach them that every child has the same feelings that they have.  It's called empathy.  So many kids lack empathy and only see life through their own eyes.  I think part of maturing is seeing how what you do and say affects other people. 

October 21, 2007, 4:39 pm CDT

Code Blue

I work in the medical field where a code blue means we have someone not breathing and we must all run to that room where the patient may be. I found it shocking that schools now practice their own code blue which maybe called over the intercom in case a student is found with a gun or a shooting occurs. Many schools now practice this right along with fire and tornado drills. I graduated in 2001 after Columbine. We never practiced a code blue.  I think it's great they are starting to formulate plans and put them into place, but I also find it upsetting that it's boiled down to this.

October 22, 2007, 4:41 am CDT

I don't like your anti-gun propaganda.

You are so full of it Dr. Phil.  You didn't tell the viewer's that most of the 73 school shootings happened after school.  You didn't explain or summarize what the cases were.  Here is a  website that has the info you neglected to tell your views, www.schoolsecurity.org .  Also, you let Jerald Newberry spread his anti gun message but you didn't talk about all the skeet shooting clubs in schools, or the marksmanship clubs in schools, and how kids build self-esteem through participating in these clubs. You also didn't mention the facts that the frontal lobe of the brain is the last to develop in young adults, the impulse control and long term planning area of the brain, which impulsive behavior causes most of these shootings not only in schools, but in society as a whole.  Look at the statistics, alot of the shootings and murders are males between the ages of 16 to 29, and the frontal lobe doesn't fully develop until 25 years old. But you left all this out. I will think of you as an anti gunner from now on, because you wouldn't tell the good side of guns in our society

October 27, 2007, 1:50 pm CDT

Re: Threats on Schools

Dr. Phil and staff need to have a show discussing the matter of the most recently plotted/carried out attacks on schools in our nation.  My son attends the high school on Long Island (Connetquot) where a disgruntled, suspended student and a co-worker of his (who ironically does not attend the same school) were plotting a Columbine-like attack on the school in April 2008, however, their plans were foiled by authorities; MANY THANKS to a concerned citizen who found and turned in to the police a notebook in the parking lot of a local McDonalds (where both boys worked), that contained writings and detailed descriptions of this plan of attack.  Also, there needs to be a discussion on the matter of the student in PA whose own MOTHER PURCHASED WEAPONS for him, and his intention of carrying out a similar attack on his own school.  There seems to be an EPIDEMIC of MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS with these SICK and desperate attempts (especially commemorating the date of APRIL 20th, which happens to be Adolph Hitler's birthday???) and, as a fearful and concerned parent for my own sons' safety and well-being in his school environment, it would be MOST APPRECIATED IF Dr. Phil would plan to TOUR these schools sometime in the near future; to speak with students, their parents and staff, and address all these issues and concerns, and offer some guidance/advice.  Thank you.

OXO
Lucy B.

October 29, 2007, 8:01 am CDT

I'm so sorry....

My hearts and prayers are with all of the families who face this tragedy.I am friends with one of the relatives that lost their nephew in this shooting.We need to love and support these people during this time of grieving.We also need to remember that it's the individual who chooses to do things to harm others as a lost soul.It's not the "police force" at fault.We as a nation need to come together to heal.And take care of the needs of the "lost souls"Who need our help.

With much sorrow and prayer

Tthe morris family

November 4, 2007, 5:48 pm CST

Guns Kill

My heart goes out to the victims in all of these school shootings.  I watched the show in slack-jawed amazement as people were asking how to stop these tragedies and how to spot the people doing the shooting.  It seems to me that the real question should be why are guns so easy to access?  Why are your gun laws so lax?  How is that teenagers so easily take a gun to school and slaughter their peers and teachers?

As an Australian who appreciates our very strict gun laws I am amazed that after the Columbine massacre nothing was done to tighten your laws. We had a mass shooting in Tasmania 10 years ago where 33 people were killed by a lone gunman.  Our government immediately tightened our already strict laws even further.  We have no school shootings and very ittle gun crime as a direct result.  Here it is very had to buy or access a gun, in America a 10month old baby obtained a gun license!!!

If you look to the rest of the world where gun laws are tight and very strict you will see that taking the guns away reduces gun crime dramatically.  Your constitution needs to be amended to reflect the reality of the world we live in.  Not every person should have the 'right to bear arms.' 

Your laws make it far too easy for these crimes to happen over and over again.  How many more innocent children will die, and families suffer unbearable anguish before America acts.

November 4, 2007, 6:31 pm CST

Bizarre

Quote From: jerimiah75

You are so full of it Dr. Phil.  You didn't tell the viewer's that most of the 73 school shootings happened after school.  You didn't explain or summarize what the cases were.  Here is a  website that has the info you neglected to tell your views, www.schoolsecurity.org .  Also, you let Jerald Newberry spread his anti gun message but you didn't talk about all the skeet shooting clubs in schools, or the marksmanship clubs in schools, and how kids build self-esteem through participating in these clubs. You also didn't mention the facts that the frontal lobe of the brain is the last to develop in young adults, the impulse control and long term planning area of the brain, which impulsive behavior causes most of these shootings not only in schools, but in society as a whole.  Look at the statistics, alot of the shootings and murders are males between the ages of 16 to 29, and the frontal lobe doesn't fully develop until 25 years old. But you left all this out. I will think of you as an anti gunner from now on, because you wouldn't tell the good side of guns in our society
As a non American reading your message is simply bizarre.  How many school shootings do you think there are outside of the United States?  American gun laws are not only outdated but quite mystifying to people of other countries.  27 shootings in schools alone this year?  Get the guns off the streets for God's sake.....My Father shot, my Brothers shot.......and both would shake their heads in confusion over your gun laws.  Im not anti gun.......just anti your guns laws.  The rest of the world no longer sympathises with you because you seem unable to help yourselves.  WAKE UP!

November 4, 2007, 7:11 pm CST

Get rid of guns and the gun mentality

Quote From: deborahfolau

I dont know what the world is coming to. I worry about my grandkids growing up in this kind of world. How do we guard them from this kind of tragedy. We need to stand together and teach our kids to repect each other at home and at school.That we can not always get what we want in live. And repect someone else when they say No to you. And not get mad with each other. And learn to get alone with everyone. Put God back in the schools.

Americans just don't get it, Dr. Phil just doesn't get it. Once in the show it was mentioned about the number of firearms available in the community but Dr. Phil quickly glossed over it. In 1996 in my state of Tasmania in Australia 35 died after a gun man went on a rampage in a historical tourist attraction. Some of the stories of innocent people were terrible.(Read "To Have and To Hold" by Walter Mikac and Lindsay Simpson, Macmillan 1997). The country united against firearm ownership. Every taxpayer was levied $100 to help pay compensation to the firearm owners to destroy their guns. People need a reason to own a firearm, Protection is not a reason and only security guards and police officers can carry pistols. America has got to make a decision between the right to own a firearm and the right for people to live. It is that simple. It will be a big task but if America is serious they must start it ASAP. The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

November 4, 2007, 7:11 pm CST

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

ok......now heres a CRAZY thought.....just to throw it out there...hows about you ban guns?? I am having trouble comprehending why the question at hand here is 'How do we prevent this from happening' and giving tips on looking towards behavour disorders in order to solve the problem. I am from Australia where guns are banned and guess how many school shootings and the like we witness? next to none. Shift your focus people on what the REAL issue is. We are no different, we have troubled teens too! difference being, we don't make guns available to every psychotic man and his dog! think about it!

First | Prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next | Last