Message Boards

Topic : 10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Number of Replies: 468
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 10:58:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Early Sunday morning in Crandon, a small Wisconsin logging town, 20-year-old deputy sheriff Tyler Peterson went on a shooting rampage killing six people and critically wounding another before authorities fatally shot him. A part-time police officer, Peterson fired thirty rounds of ammunition on his ex-girlfriend and a group of friends who had gathered for pizza and movies to celebrate homecoming weekend. Who was Tyler Peterson, and what drove him to murder six people in cold blood? What is the profile of a mass murderer, and does he fit the description? How could Peterson have slipped through the system to become a law enforcement officer, and how do we keep it from happening again? Every day, more than 80 Americans die from gun violence.* From the 1999 Columbine massacre to the nation's deadliest shooting rampage in history at Virginia Tech last April, mass shootings in America continue to draw world scrutiny. Be there when Dr. Phil asks the tough questions. If it's happening now, Dr. Phil is gonna talk about it now! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 4, 2007, 8:27 pm CST

Homecoming shooting

Oveer the years I have always been amazed at the Americans attitiudes about guns.  In Australia you need a license for any kind of gun - including Paint ball guns.  You cant get semi automatic guns here. 

If your country was really worried about school shootings - then ban guns or the sale of bullets.  These kids get the guns from somewher - normally their own homes.  It may seem like a simple solution - and it is.  I have been to the states about ten years ago - We went to Disneyland for 5 days - I was horrified when sitting around the pool at night - A man was telling us that of course he had a gun is his room - At Disneyland - of all places. 

Your country is a constant source of amazement to us Aussies - we just dont get you.  We saw Katrina - and could not believe it took so long for help to arrive - We are shocked that there is no memorial at ground zero - You should see the one at Bali where the bombings took place - its Beautiful.  We are shocked that you dont have better gun control.

My son and I have travelled to other places around the world - I have no desire you come back to your country - I dont like the idea of so many people with guns at their disposal and the ease at which one can get one. 

If more Americans travelled to other countries you would see that America is seen as a joke that cant look after its own people with respect and dignity.  You were once looked upon as one of the greatest nations in the world - but no longer. 

November 4, 2007, 8:39 pm CST

get real

Quote From: jerimiah75

You are so full of it Dr. Phil.  You didn't tell the viewer's that most of the 73 school shootings happened after school.  You didn't explain or summarize what the cases were.  Here is a  website that has the info you neglected to tell your views, www.schoolsecurity.org .  Also, you let Jerald Newberry spread his anti gun message but you didn't talk about all the skeet shooting clubs in schools, or the marksmanship clubs in schools, and how kids build self-esteem through participating in these clubs. You also didn't mention the facts that the frontal lobe of the brain is the last to develop in young adults, the impulse control and long term planning area of the brain, which impulsive behavior causes most of these shootings not only in schools, but in society as a whole.  Look at the statistics, alot of the shootings and murders are males between the ages of 16 to 29, and the frontal lobe doesn't fully develop until 25 years old. But you left all this out. I will think of you as an anti gunner from now on, because you wouldn't tell the good side of guns in our society

You are a fool - and its because of people like you that the rest of the world is not shocked when people in your country go on gun rampages.  Your constitition says you have the right to bear arms - well it was written a very long time ago and needs updating.  Guns in your country are not being used as a form of national defence but as a way of settling petty disputes.

My family went to the states about ten years ago - and was shocked that people had guns n their hotel rooms at Disneyland - and were open about it.  I have not been back since - and i dont intend to - there are so many better places to travel in this world.

You need a licence to get a gun in Australia - even for a paint ball gun - and you cant get semi automatic weapons thankfully. In fact the only shooting rampage we have had was a german - who brought his guns with him - he was shot dead by the police.

Until America does something about the amount of guns in the hands of their citizens - these type of shooting will continue to happen - and the rest of the world will say - "only in america". 

November 4, 2007, 9:13 pm CST

Get ur facts right

Quote From: longwalker

Allow me to comment on this. The International Crime Victims Survey showed that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations. In England 26% of the population had been the victim of violent crime. Australia, who also took guns from its citizens, led the list with 30% of its population being victimized. The US did not even make the list. All types of crime are high in countries where the government has taken the right to carry a gun from its citizens. And who would want to live in a country where the police could not carry guns? I sure wouldn't be bragging about that. And don't get into that tripe about disenfranchised people. These are people who can not handle their anger or some perceived putdown to themselves. One thing that would protect our children is to send all teachers to a top notch gun safety course and teach them practical shooting so that they can stop these shooters before it turns into Columbine or Virginia Tech. An armed teacher at either one of those schools would have saved a lot of lives. The reason the crime rate is low in states that have given their citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon is because the criminals know we are not pushovers like in other countries. If these students knew that the teachers had guns and would not hesitate to protect the kids in their classes, we would see these shootings stop.

I am from australia and would like to speak to the  statistics you quote here. The information you provide comes from The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland. These numbers represent violent crime as a whole and NOT violent crime resulting in murder.
The most recent statistics I found relating to a comparison of world homicide rates in a quick search of the internet were from a report titled "International Comparisons of Criminal Justice Statistics 2000." In this report the data was as follows:
World Homicide Rates per 100,000 population.
5.64  U.S.A.
1.81 Australia.
These numbers clearly show that Australia has a significantly lower homicide rate than the USA.
Australia's strict gun control laws are working to prevent homicides and multiple murders occuring in this country.
The only nations higher than the USA for world homicide rates in 2000 were:
50.14 South Africa
21.40 Russia (1999)
10.00 Lithuania
9.94 Estonia
6.22 Latvia

Australia ranked 19th.

Even if you ignore the statistics, common sense should tell you that one person with a fully loaded firearm is more capable of KILLING one or more people than one person with any other weapon would be.

The idea that many Americans use a document more than 200 years old to justify the idea that "every american citizen has the right to bear arms" is a little ludicrous to those of us watching hundreds of young americans killed every year by those very firearms you hold so dear.

The ready availability of guns in your country makes it possible for sad, depressed, unpopular, mentally ill and plain psychotic people, to take their frustrations out on society with deadly force.

Sure, if someone in Australia wants to kill, they are able to get access to weapons. However, it requires a much greater effort and a lot more time, money and planning, than it does in the US. This means more opportunity for them to be stopped from committing a heinous crime, or indeed to stop themselves.

Sadly, violence has always been and will always be a sad reality in every society around the world. WHATEVER can be done to prevent even one violent act, should be seriously looked into. The old NRA adage that "guns don't kill people. people kill people" is ridiculous. It's people with guns that kill people.

I know this is long but I have one final comment. I realise that there are many Americans who are not supporters of the old school "right to bear arms" philosophy. It is up to you as concerned citizens of a great nation to use your power as voters to make it clear to the potential leaders of you country in the future that you will not accept them taking funding from organisations such as the NRA. The type of influence these kinds of organisations have over government policy undermines the ideal of a government of the people and that government's ability to protect it's citizens in a true and honest fashion. Whether or not YOU as citizens support the NRA should not be relevant to the independant, for the good of all ideal that should be your government.

November 5, 2007, 4:23 am CST

Gun Culture

If the right to possess firearms is such a highly valued aspect of US culture - it can hardly be such a surprise that children of this society are choosing to use guns against  those who they perceive  have wronged them. Maybe this isn't a psychological issue - maybe it 's a sociological one.

November 8, 2007, 1:50 pm CST

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

My heart  & prayers goes out to all involved. I  am sad to say that I know how they feel  I live in Bailey , Colorado and I have kids in the school where a gunman entered and it scares me to death to think of that day and that it is still happening all over the world in our kids schools & lives. I  just don't understand WHY??

November 27, 2007, 10:42 pm CST

You Hear the Bad

Quote From: westaussiemum

Oveer the years I have always been amazed at the Americans attitiudes about guns.  In Australia you need a license for any kind of gun - including Paint ball guns.  You cant get semi automatic guns here. 

If your country was really worried about school shootings - then ban guns or the sale of bullets.  These kids get the guns from somewher - normally their own homes.  It may seem like a simple solution - and it is.  I have been to the states about ten years ago - We went to Disneyland for 5 days - I was horrified when sitting around the pool at night - A man was telling us that of course he had a gun is his room - At Disneyland - of all places. 

Your country is a constant source of amazement to us Aussies - we just dont get you.  We saw Katrina - and could not believe it took so long for help to arrive - We are shocked that there is no memorial at ground zero - You should see the one at Bali where the bombings took place - its Beautiful.  We are shocked that you dont have better gun control.

My son and I have travelled to other places around the world - I have no desire you come back to your country - I dont like the idea of so many people with guns at their disposal and the ease at which one can get one. 

If more Americans travelled to other countries you would see that America is seen as a joke that cant look after its own people with respect and dignity.  You were once looked upon as one of the greatest nations in the world - but no longer. 

This IS a wonderful country to live in!  You hear the sensational stories and take them as fact for the every day.  We think that you have too may wildfires and that all of your children are in danger of being killed by poisonous spiders.  I am certain that you would disagree.

If you want to come to America I promise to show you the good side.  Here in northern NY we are close to Niagara Falls.  Our murder rate is low.  Our hunting rate is high.  Our news is dull.   Have the Phil staff give you my address- You can stay with us!!

March 3, 2008, 5:04 pm CST

10/12 Homecoming Shooting

Quote From: blackwolfbws

There is no direct evidence to support this claim.

Indeed, I believe that there is a direct link between these shootings  and the increased pressures kids feel to fit into society norms and achieve. Almost all these kids come from outstanding families that are well liked in the community before the shootings occure.

The solution: We should be celebrating our differences and accepting the differences in others. No child should be forced to fit into a mold of what the perfect kid is. Indeed, some of our greatest scientists and acheivers of our age all had unussual personality traits. Maybe to be a dreamer or visionary, it requires not fitting into the norm.

We should be happy to have children that don't quite fit in. And help them to be proud of who they are.

The direct evidence is all the mass killings.  What more direct evidence do you need?

May 5, 2008, 9:46 pm CDT

Culture?

In the Netherlands we see the shows some months later and watching this show i noticed that the availability of guns is somehow neglected. One guest said that 47% of the US households have a (or more) guns. Are the shootings not a result of the US culture that everyone should be able to own a gun? I mean if you have acces to guns, the use of them is more "normal" then it will be if getting a gun is more difficult. Here in the Netherlands we don't have that easy acces and comparing the amount of shootings between USA and Europe it's a huge difference. I think that it should be at least more difficult to get a gun in USA and as a result the shootings will be lot less. Sorry for any bad grammar or spelling, English is not really my language.

First | Prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | Next Page | Last Page