Message Boards

Topic : Balancing Work and Family

Number of Replies: 60
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:23:59 am
Author : dataimport
Do you find time for your family away from the pressures or work, or are you struggling to find that balance? Do you feel guilty when you need to take time out for kids or spouse from your job? Share your work/family balancing act with us.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 26, 2007, 1:04 pm CDT

Balancing Work and Family

Quote From: texasdeuces

I am a stay at home mother of three and wife.  We are trying to get on a budget....thanks to MR. Dave Ramsey, and that means, no credit, no loans and pay off old debts.  Anyhow....is there anyone out there who knows of a WORK AT HOME  job that is legit?  No selling, no inventory, no start-up kits for parties.  I mean a real work at home job that pays real money. 

SOMEONE HELP ME FIND WORK FROM HOME

I am the mother of 16 month old identical twin boys.  I know exaclty what you mean, I also am looking for a legitimate job to do from home.  I search almost on a daily basis and have had no luck so far.  My parents love Dave Ramsey and tells anyone who will listen about his programs.  As I continue to look I will keep you in mind.

Jennifer

October 26, 2007, 7:36 pm CDT

Quote From: jenniferk21

I am the mother of 16 month old identical twin boys.  I know exaclty what you mean, I also am looking for a legitimate job to do from home.  I search almost on a daily basis and have had no luck so far.  My parents love Dave Ramsey and tells anyone who will listen about his programs.  As I continue to look I will keep you in mind.

Jennifer

Thank you, and I will do the same for you.  I search daily as well for the legitimate work at home job and in the end just feel as if I have waisted a lot of time. 

Angela

October 28, 2007, 4:41 pm CDT

oiilfield widows

Quote From: jadeycole

i am from a small town in oklahoma, maybe even close by. my hubby works for halliburton, i know i said that they have layoffs but they havent had one in a long time, they are getting rid of my hubby's section soon but there are other places to go for the good workers. they just hired some guys that had no expierience and trained them, they started out making about $15 an hour. they have good insurance. and i mean GOOD insurance. it might not be as much pay but it is something to start with. my hubby has been there for over 5 years. he loves it and the guys there are great. maybe your hubby should try. just a thought. anyways hope you have luck in everything. i unsderstand how it is to have young children. i only have 2 though. a girl that is 3 and a boy that is 6 months. if you need anything aor just to talk i am here for you.
wow...this is my life.  I married a mechanic who was home every night at 40 years old to the wife of a man who is only home 14 nights a month.  I hate it...hate it...hate it.  I was in a previous marriage with an alcoholic and thought I would have this time with a really great guy.  Yea the money is great but I am alone alot.  When he is home it is 24 hours for 6 days but then he is gone again.  neither of us has any children.  I work while he is gone cleaning houses but that is a pretty solitary job and we have never cultivated a lot of friends.  I thought we were building a life together but he is gone half of the month.  how does anyone else make this work?

November 17, 2007, 7:51 am CST

I need a life

I am a single, disabled mother of one (she is 11) I am mobile but my looks get me turned away from any job. I have had 3 jobs in my life so far & always worked 2 at a time & college. Now I am just doing college.
My health is giving me problems 2 make projects on time. But I am the most devoted, dedicated in my role as either assistant manager, research analyst, private duty care. I have stayed with these jobs for over 20 + yrs until 2000 when my health started declining along with my looks. I am very professional but they can't seem 2 see past my psoriasis, obesity & rotted teeth. So now what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 27, 2007, 8:50 pm CST

Keep your head up!

Quote From: missdaddylots1

wow...this is my life.  I married a mechanic who was home every night at 40 years old to the wife of a man who is only home 14 nights a month.  I hate it...hate it...hate it.  I was in a previous marriage with an alcoholic and thought I would have this time with a really great guy.  Yea the money is great but I am alone alot.  When he is home it is 24 hours for 6 days but then he is gone again.  neither of us has any children.  I work while he is gone cleaning houses but that is a pretty solitary job and we have never cultivated a lot of friends.  I thought we were building a life together but he is gone half of the month.  how does anyone else make this work?

I know it sounds "cheesy" but you can do anything you put your mind to! You can make this marriage work! If that is what you feel will make you happy, you can do it and you have every capability to. May I add that in order to make your marriage the best in can be, you have to live the best life you can and with the most sincere happiness. So many times we are looking for happiness outside of ourselves, when all along it has always been inside of us.

First, and most importantly..we have to stop putting our attention toward those things we don't want and toward the things we DO want. When we dwell on the things that are making us unhappy, we attract more to ourselves. If I may, I'd like to suggest a video for you that has life changing capabilities. The things I would love to explain to you are nicely laid out for you in this video. Have you ever heard of "The Secret"? You can watch it online for only $4.95. The site is www.thesecret.tv. It has been all over the media, so perhaps you have heard of it.  Believe me, if you haven't seen it, it will effect you immensly and can alter your way of thinking, and essentailly attract for you all of those things you desire, including a lasting and fullfilling life.

I hope this leads you into a new direction toward lasting happiness for you and your marriage. Please let me know if I can help you in any way. I have an enormous amount of literature that could help you immensely, as well.

I hope to hear about your reactions to the film!

Susan Kledzik

skledzik@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/susanohnj

January 26, 2008, 4:02 pm CST

Quote From: jenniferk21

Jennifer

Hey wow I'm not the only one in this position I  am 20 yrs old with two kids and another that will be here in about a month I don't have much experience except  in retail but then  I would have to worry about daycare and picking them all up at a certain time! No I mean No job wants to deal with someone with little experience and limited schedualing. I too have been looking there just seems to be no luck. Moneys really tight as in we can't pay all our bills so If anyone has any suggestion it would be much appreciated

July 26, 2008, 12:21 pm CDT

Sad Times America

Big companies with their twisted "politics" and "policies" are ruining our families and values America!! Yet we all need a paycheck to support the ones we love and care for so what are we to do?? Here is my story...I know I am not alone in situations like this. My hope is that there is someone out there with the resources and means to help those such as myself.

Seven weeks ago I broke the "tibial plateau" in my left knee at work, on their time and property. Granted it was break-time and I was killing a spider, but it happened. Naturally the company is fighting my Worker's Comp. claim, and I am fighting back. Knowing the run-around I would get (and refusal) I am not filing my injury under FMLA with our company insurance. So, I have not received a paycheck since the injury. I am fortunate enough to have financial assistance from family as well as decent credit to help out. Though money IS an issue, it's the LAST thing I am stressed about at this point!!

HERE is the most FRUSTRATING PART..........(My fiance, and father of our 10 month old son, works for the same company on the OPPOSITE night shift. Our company is "continuous operation" and we work 12 hour shifts with alternating days off. The nights I normally work he is off and vice/versa. We had to set it that way due to babysitting and lack of sleep issues. I transferred from his shift at the end of January to accomodate our issues, and provide a more stable environment for our son.) OKAY...........My fiance doesn't "qualify" for FMLA leave because we are not married and the injured person isn't our son. They only granted him 30 days unpaid leave and somehow managed to determine that he didn't "earn" all of his vacation because he didn't work enough "total" hours for the year?? What gives here?? Just because we're not married they don't have to grant him enough leave to care for his infant son? They insist that we should have been able to find "daycare" or a sitter within the time of his leave. THE COMPANY along with several other IGNORANT people cannot seem to understand the depth of that "problem"!!

REMEMBER, we work 12 HOUR NIGHT SHIFTS (6pm-6am), AND NEITHER of us have received a paycheck in over a month! Obviously, THEY have never fully thought about the limitations of a person on crutches, one leg IMMOBILE, trying to care for and keep up with a 10 month old!!!!!! It is virtually impossible!! As is trying to find a sitter to work around the clock for 2-3 days at a time!!!! And WHO would foot that bill??

Corporations and CEO's DO NOT care about their "petty" employees AMERICA!!!! Because of situations such as mine THEY are FORCING us to endanger our own children's welfare!! WHO is going to stand up and actually BE HEARD, speaking out about injustices such as this?? WE, as parents HAVE to keep these crappy jobs to survive, and all CEO's are the same with "POLITICS" and "POLICIES". Situations like mine are what is ruining the family values and fabric of America! Where is MORALITY, ETHICS, and THE GOLDEN RULE?? Until EVERYONE is held accountable to "DO UNTO OTHERS.........." we are ALL screwed!! Money is a "neccessary evil" that is ruining humanity. This country is "led" by GREED and we are basically FORCED to lay down and take it!! THERE HAS TO BE AN END!!!! FAMILY HAS TO COME FIRST AMERICA!!!

Ticked Off In Ohio

September 24, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

Want to work from Home.

Quote From: britneyh1987

Hey wow I'm not the only one in this position I  am 20 yrs old with two kids and another that will be here in about a month I don't have much experience except  in retail but then  I would have to worry about daycare and picking them all up at a certain time! No I mean No job wants to deal with someone with little experience and limited schedualing. I too have been looking there just seems to be no luck. Moneys really tight as in we can't pay all our bills so If anyone has any suggestion it would be much appreciated
Since you have experience in retail this could be of interest to you. I work from home part time with my soy candle business. It won't hurt to take a look at. And don't worry about money there are ways that I can help you get stared. Email me a aqulknight@verizon.net for more info. Look forward to hearing from you.

October 28, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

We Are Only Human: But It is Possible!

Quote From: tracyock1

I teach first grade special education in a rural area of Missouri.  I have three students with severe behavior problems at school.  Dealing with them all day is exhausting.  Between behavioral outbursts, modifying curriculum and teaching social skills, I am overdone by the time I get home.  I love teaching and I know that I am making a difference, but I feel like the wicked witch of the west at home to my two boys (6 and 8).  By the time we get home from school, do homework, eat supper (fix supper) and start to relax, my temper is short and my patience is thin.  I feel that my students are getting the best of me and my kids are getting the left overs.  It doesn't help that my husband works the night shift.  He has applied for a different shift and has been promised the day shift, but it will take a while for the change to happen.  How can I find ways to have more patience at home?  My boys are not behavior problems - just very active.  Their teachers say that they are very good at school, but at home it is non-stop bickering, arguing and rough-housing.  As a teacher, I want them to be good at school, but as a mother I need them to be good at home.  Can someone help me find a way to balance both parts of my life? 

It seems that the main problem here is that you have no division between work life and home life. At the end of the day, you do not leave work at work. You take it home with you and this is taking a toll on your family. At this point, you need to sit back and analyze your situation. Maybe work less hours and devote more time to the family. Or maybe do something for yourself; consider taking a yoga class. Go one hour, just once a week if you have time constraints. The point here is that you need to be able to balance all aspects of your life. It is not easy, it is part of humanity. The best thing to do is find options such as the two listed above to help you solve this problem. Visit the CubeDrama Community for further advice.

www.cubedrama.com

December 4, 2008, 7:05 am CST

Little Soldiers and Princesses

Trained to be Good little Soldiers and Princesses

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN0334472920070803

As for Females leaving the domestic role for information age skills and income.  The nineteenth century belief Females should be protected has created much protection and support for Females from day one.  Since Females are not required by society to be strong, it is considered proper to not only protect them but to also lavish much mental, emotional, social, academic, support, knowledge, and skills from day one.  This creates lower average stress and lots of supported skills that enable girls to really do well in the information age.  Girls are also given love, honor, respect, and support simply for being girls. This makes learning and development of skills and competing for jobs somewhat easier for they are given the essentials of self-worth simply for being girls.  All of this makes girls "very well prepared" to compete in the information age.  This support and protection continues even into adulthood.  Today this allows not only much economic advantage but also maintains the same protected freedoms of expression to give verbal, silent abuse, and hollow kindness to Males when they have some advantage (look at how the media allows this).

Males who are generally anti-feminists and also Females (who tend to reflect for some reason their protected world upon Males) really do not understand how differential treatment from day one is providing Females with such an advantage that is creating the Growing international Male Crisis, but those Males though lacking understanding do feel the effects of that differential treatment. 

Males are given love, honor, support, respect, care, etc. only on the condition of sufficient achievement, money, power, etc.  This is what makes Males very competitive; they are competing for feelings of self-worth as reflected upon them by society if they have sufficiency of those things.  When they are doing anything they are being weighed and given only the amount of love, honor, respect, and support commensurate with those achievements.  Those Males who do not have sufficiency are not only given less of those good things, they are given more aggression by society.  This creates a lot more pressure on Males to either succeed in academics, which is good; and if they cannot, then they will search out a more protected and supported area in which they will have some feeling of love, honor, and respect from their peer group. 

Since our society is still following even in the information age, the belief Males should be strong, it still allows much aggression upon Males to make them tough.  It also holds that Males should not be given mental/emotional/social/academic love, kindness, care and support for fear of coddling the Male from day one.  This is so the Male can become a good little soldier to defend family and country.  The problem with this is that it creates high average stress that impedes learning and creates along it more tension that leads more activity in Males and attention to mental/emotional development. This is why girls mature faster, for Males are not given the same supports.  This higher average stress and lack of support accumulate to create a large deficit in learning for Males. 

Now in the information age, Males are now competing with Females who have been well supported from day one and Males are beginning fall behind big time, especially from women in their 20's and early 30's.

Men are not only losing jobs, they are losing out on feelings of self-worth or love, honor, and respect from society.  It is plainly spelled out in the media that when Males appear weak, it is okay to give them more verbal aggression, more abuse, and more neglect.  Since Men have brainwashed to believe they are better (perhaps deserving of more harsh treatment and neglect) they are now finding out that in real life such treatment is somehow helping women to succeed above them. Given the horrible myth of fixed intelligences taught in our society or simply working harder, many men are falsely believing they are less intelligent and/or not working hard enough.  Given this false information, they truly feel threatened by those women who are succeeding and they are not.  Society itself and its media is now working against the Male to place Male's into perceived positions of being more suitable for menial labor and for Females to be placed into more white collar, management positions.

On Dr. Phil today a man was very violent toward his wife.  She is now very afraid of him.  His wife loved him and wanted to help him.  It was brought out that man had fallen down on ability to support his wife and family.  Even though that man was supported by his wife, the societal belief he should be strong was consuming him.  You see even though he had lots of support from his wife, society in general not only does not provide love, honor, respect, and care, the essentials of feelings of self-worth, it rejects that man for not having sufficient achievement, status, image,  money, etc. 

Thus, that man like many other men today are losing their feelings of self-worth that women receive simply for being women.  His wife could not understand his dilemma. because like many other women, she was reflecting her love, honor, respect, and protection in society upon him, not realizing his world was very different and much more unforgiving for signs of weakness. You see society's primary antidote for perceived weaknesses in Males is to provide more aggression and neglect to make him strong, and not to support him when he is down.  So, although his wife supports him with love, society will take him down for being weak.  After years of brainwashing, he and others like him believe it to be true and deserving of punishment.  This is why so many Males have a short life and so many more Male suicides.  Yes, Males do feel threatened by feminists for they feel the scales are tilted very much against them. 

Complete learning theory to all on request by e-mail at mayfieldga@bellsouth.net

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next Page | Last Page