Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 22, 2007, 1:02 am CDT

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Dr.Phil,

my name is mary.i am workinghere in UAE as a caregiver.whenever i have time i always watch your show.it really inspires me,thats why if my employer watch tv i got sad coz it means that i cant watch your show.they have only one tv and they often watch arabic movies since they are arabic people...you know, i salute you and your staff for making the show beautiful.i saw lots of people crying,laughing,and most of the time angry coz i know u touched there ego.i saw lots of different people.you changed there life in your won very good way.thats why im coming to you to please help me also.(i will cross my fingers).im dreaming to work abroad coz i know salary is good.good to help my family so i can give them a beautiful life.i am a certifeid caregiver from 2003 dreaming to work there.but until now i cant go there coz since i came from philippines they said going there is difficult coz it takes time to get visa.so some employer back out for getting caregivers from philippines.but i dont lose hope.i always said to myself if others can ii can also.for my family....dr.phil, can u help me also?i dont care how long i will wait as long as there is a sure job waiting for me.i need a job too much.maybe u can find me one.please....i will wait for your response

thank you

mary

September 5, 2007, 5:36 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: bigred80

Hi

I know this is slightly off the topic of career goals, but it as close to my question as I could find.

For me to ask my question first I need to give a little background. When I left school I worked in a few casual jobs until I was employed Full time for about four and a half years. In that time I had my son and chose not to go back to work. After a few months of being an at home mum I realised that I am the type of person who needs to be busy or I go nuts and clean everything. So I went back to work. I left that job a few weeks ago because it was completely unsatisfying and my boss wasn't a nice person.

Anyway I have had arrange of jobs from cashier, to cleaner, to day care even the defence force and I still don't know what I want to do. I must add that I am only 25.

I have this feeling of wanting to go somewhere, I just have no idea where that somewhere is.

Anyone have suggestions on finding/changing career?

Thanks

Natalie

WOW!  I've been going thru the same thing! I've been at my current job for almost 7 years and I'm so bored with it now that I'm unhappy most of the time. I've applied for other jobs but I'm 41 and the jobs I'm qualified for are usually looking for younger people. I've thought about starting my own business but I have no idea what I would love to do. Everyone talks about doing what you're pashionate about but I don't know what that would be either. I

'm sorry I don't have the answer your looking for. I just thought it might help if you knew you're not the only one who feels lost right now.

Good luck with your searching and if you learn anything that might be helpful, I hope you pass it along.

September 9, 2007, 8:05 pm CDT

career move

Four years ago I graduated with a masters degee in Information and LIbrary Services.

I made the decision at 40 to return to school and now I loathe what I'm doing and the profession.  I hate it passionately!

I'm wondering what can I do to turn things around. 

September 13, 2007, 10:00 am CDT

Barely treading water

I'm trying to get a website up and running.  It has various items of specialty merchandise.  However, I'd rather use it to help schools, non-profits, etc.  for fund raising purposes.  In order to do this, I need to upgrade and have some inventory.  How does a person find funding for such a project?  I need some financial advise as well as marketing/advertising advise without breaking my bank.  Please help.

September 14, 2007, 8:16 am CDT

Working from Home

I remember seeing a Dr. Phil show about how he gave a woman a job at home, I think it was as a transciptionist or something like that, I am now trying to find that website as I am a 47 year old single woman living on Social Security benefits which are not enough at this time. I can supplement my income only by about $800 as per Social Security, but I have to work from home as I suffer from chronic fatigue and fibromalgia. But I have a Masters Degree in Public Policy and worked for 14 years in the Court System. Can any one direct me to or give me information as to working online for legitimate companies. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this as my Savings Account is down to almost nil and I have to find something to give me an extra boost to pay those bills every month.

Yours, Meaghan  

September 24, 2007, 11:52 pm CDT

Career Goals

Hello everyone I am new here. I am currently unemployed and have been looking very hard for work all summer. I was a school teacher last year and my contract was not renewed. This was a slap in the face for me because just weeks before I was told this the Principal looked me in the face and told me that I was safe for the next school year. As a result of this I do not feel that I want to teach any more. This has many people in my family upset with me. My sister tells me that I should still teach because I have touched more lives than I realize in the year that I was teaching. She also tells me that my neice says she wants to be a school teacher just like her Aunt Anna. This has me torn. I have started a second master's degree in Mental Health Counseling. I am hoping to go into private practice once I complete my degree and get all the licensing that is required. I would like to focus on children and possibly tie in my first master's degree of Childhood Literacy. My plan is to bring literacy into the practice by when we start the sessions and I get an idea of what the child is facing finding books on that child's level that relate to the problems they are facing. When I see the child for therapy we will read the book that relates to the situation and then talk about the book and how it relates to them. I feel that if the child can see that they are not the only one that is facing the problem(s) they are facing then they might be more willing to discuss what they are going through. What does everyone think about my idea. I know it is still like 3 years down the road but those are my thoughts by then who knows maybe I will have changed my mind on this.

October 11, 2007, 10:40 am CDT

Im starting to know how you feel

Quote From: poetician

I've been trying to find a job, it seems, ever since I graduated from college in May of 2005.  So far, I haven't found much, just temporary jobs that only ended up lasting about a month and had nothing to do with my degree, which was in music and media communications.  I want to be a songwriter, eventually, but in the meantime, I need a day job to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I am a very intelligent, capable person, but I am not resilient when it comes to rejection.  My school had no job placement program, and I keep trying to motivate myself to put in more applications and keep looking - I'm in a desperate place financially and my money troubles keep me stressed to the point of paralysis.  I have no income, no credit, and thousands in debt.  I haven't been able to pay one single bill in over a year.  My clothes are wearing out, and I fear I will not be able to find a job just because of my wardrobe.  I can't possibly afford anything other than the basics for keeping myself alive.  (And sometimes not even those.)

I have dreams.  I have talent.  I'm willing to put those aside for now and work at McDonald's, but I can't seem to get a job at even the lowest levels.  I struggle with an eating disorder that I can't possibly afford to treat, which keeps me even more paralyzed.  The more I fail, the more I struggle, and the more I struggle, the more I fail.  I've tried to "think my way to success," but sometimes I can't manufacture one positive thought, no matter how hard I try.  I'm so scared of living a meaningless life.  I'm so tired of being nothing but a burden to my family.  I know I would not take a job for granted, if given the chance, no matter how much I hated it.  I feel like I'm supposed to do something important with my life, that I've been given a rare gift and a purpose.  I know what I'm meant to do with my life - and I know I'm failing grandly - and it's killing me!

But for now I'd just like a quarter to put in the Wal-Mart soda machine.  A quarter I wouldn't panic over spending.  I want the privilege of working for a paycheck, of not being the one pushed aside because I'm in everyone else's way.  I want to carry my own weight for once.  I just want a chance!

Why won't anyone hire me?  Am I that stupid?  (But I know I'm not stupid.)  Am I that repulsive?  Am I completely hopeless?

I am 33 years old and I have a 14 year old boy just starting freshman year. I have been a stay at home mom all of this time and now I would like to get out there in the workforce but seem not to have any call back. I have applied all this past summer getting ready for my big change to hopefully get a start on it so when school started for my son id be set up at a new job. My husband works full time and more he owns his own business and with him gone 12 hour days and my son at school, im here really wanting to put in my time too. I feel that being off work this long has made me really unexperienced in every position out there. Im willing and able, but I need to find a new groove in life ya know. My husband is supportive and says not to worry but really I am not lazy I want to find something. I dont like getting into new conversations because everyone always askes "what do you do?" and i hate my response, i dont have anything to say. Then i feel deppressed because i feel useless and unimportant. uhhh, well i just wanted you to know that i know a little of how you feel and your not the only one.....try and have a happy productive day. :)

October 25, 2007, 6:15 pm CDT

*confused!!*

I'm fresh out of highschool and only half way through my first year at university taking an Honours BA with a major in Psychology (i want to BE dr. phil :P jk!). Anyway, I have always enjoyed Art and took a course in grade 12 that i really enjoyed (housing and interior design), i thought another good job would be a wedding coordinator because i LOVE love... so what better job would there be making fantasies come true and surrounded by romance? Also, my eye for design would be put to great use! I'm torn because my father always said "If you go to University and get a good job you will be able to (insert either "go on a nice vacation like that" or "buy that" or "not have money troubles like us" or "be able to do _____ as much as you want!!") " sooo i think i have started associating money, material objects and university with happiness. I like psychology... always found it interesting... other courses that i'm taking too like sociology and women's studies...but i can't help wondering if i'm doing the right thing... if i would be better off following my artistic side but i'm holding back because i have it set in my brain that it's below me or will cause my friends and family to think less of me... i was always "the smart one" among my cousins... and i don't really want to lose that status... i don't know... someone help!! (please dr. phil or robin if you read this... i need advice!) thanks...

November 2, 2007, 2:22 pm CDT

I need advise

I am a 47 year old single parent of a teenage daughter.  I have no formal education.  I live in northwestern Arkansas.   I got my G.E.D. years ago.  I am really tired of working at low paying jobs.  What I would like advise on is this, should I go and earn a degree at a university, a community college(two year degree) or if at my age, this is just not a wise thing to do.  And is an online university something to consider?  I have heard alot about even if I did go to school it wouldnt make any difference because of my age.  I am really confused about what I should do.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

November 15, 2007, 8:39 pm CST

Running on Empty

I am recovering from a brain injury. I have also been diagnosed with ADD. I am 45 and unemployed. I lost my last two jobs due to poor job performance resulting from my head injury. I have less than 3 years of college. I was a writing major. I was arrested for slapping my ex during an argument.  No one will hire me. I am tired, frustrated, and quickly running out of hope.

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last