Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 16, 2007, 7:41 am CST

Get the job you want!!!

I am an employer. We receive hundreds of applications per week and I have noticed that many people don't know how to apply for a job. I have spoken with numerous people and asked them what they do to get a job...the answers were suprising. I realized that most people really don't know what to do or what not to do, or even how to start looking for a job. I have written an article about just that..."what to do and what not to do to get the job you want". It is very lengthy, so I did not put it here. If you or someone you know is unemployed check out   www.freewebs.com/dineroexpress/   I am sure this article will help anyone obtain the job they want.

November 20, 2007, 8:37 am CST

Taking Control

Hi all, I am a stay at home mom and to provide a supplemental income to what my husband makes I run a child care business out of my home. I also am a Mary Kay Consultant. This allows me to make my own career path choices. With Mary Kay, you can sell as much as you want or just use your consultant discount (50% off retail) for strictly personal use. There are NO sales quotas and it is not a pyramid company. My success does not depend on recruits. A recruit does NOT pay any percentage to another person! I LOVE being able to spend time with my children and not worry about a stressful 9 to 5 job!

November 29, 2007, 8:20 pm CST

Something in common

Quote From: mkjackie

Hi all, I am a stay at home mom and to provide a supplemental income to what my husband makes I run a child care business out of my home. I also am a Mary Kay Consultant. This allows me to make my own career path choices. With Mary Kay, you can sell as much as you want or just use your consultant discount (50% off retail) for strictly personal use. There are NO sales quotas and it is not a pyramid company. My success does not depend on recruits. A recruit does NOT pay any percentage to another person! I LOVE being able to spend time with my children and not worry about a stressful 9 to 5 job!

Hi ~ I read your post. I am a single mother of two kids. (divorced) I use to sell Mary Kay since daycare costs were killing me. I stayed home after my 2nd baby. I was doing shows through 8 1/2 months. Gal I did make over for in Mary Kay contest won 2nd place. (many moons ago)

My best friend does daycare. I now work a day job but came across a cool business I do at night. My friend with daycare is about to join me for some side cash. It brings in $1000 sales.... got one 3 days into joining! Just a thought...if you are interested in some more $$$.

My email is ubdebtfree@gmail.com   - Oh I use to do Partylite also. Love candles...but I think I am enjoying $1000 sales more now LOL   take care  talk soon

Crystal

November 29, 2007, 8:25 pm CST

Hey there

Quote From: roxannad

I am a 47 year old single parent of a teenage daughter.  I have no formal education.  I live in northwestern Arkansas.   I got my G.E.D. years ago.  I am really tired of working at low paying jobs.  What I would like advise on is this, should I go and earn a degree at a university, a community college(two year degree) or if at my age, this is just not a wise thing to do.  And is an online university something to consider?  I have heard alot about even if I did go to school it wouldnt make any difference because of my age.  I am really confused about what I should do.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dont worry about your age! You are young. If you WANT to go to school, go to school. (even if you dont get rich from it) 

If you DONT want to go, then dont. There are OPTIONS out there for making money. I have a college degree and YET I just found a business working from my computer at any hour...pulling in $1000 sales! Made one 3 days into this. They didnt teach me THIS in college!

PS - an online university would also be nice....  but if you also want to consider an online business to at least get some cash in your pocket on the side let me know. I am an accountant but make more money online with no experience in this department!  If you are curious, shoot me an email at ubdebtfree@gmail.com    www.ubdebt-free.com   but DONT get discouraged due to age...you still have many good years left..enjoy every minute of them!

Sincerely,

Crystal

November 29, 2007, 8:32 pm CST

hello

Quote From: smirkle

I'm fresh out of highschool and only half way through my first year at university taking an Honours BA with a major in Psychology (i want to BE dr. phil :P jk!). Anyway, I have always enjoyed Art and took a course in grade 12 that i really enjoyed (housing and interior design), i thought another good job would be a wedding coordinator because i LOVE love... so what better job would there be making fantasies come true and surrounded by romance? Also, my eye for design would be put to great use! I'm torn because my father always said "If you go to University and get a good job you will be able to (insert either "go on a nice vacation like that" or "buy that" or "not have money troubles like us" or "be able to do _____ as much as you want!!") " sooo i think i have started associating money, material objects and university with happiness. I like psychology... always found it interesting... other courses that i'm taking too like sociology and women's studies...but i can't help wondering if i'm doing the right thing... if i would be better off following my artistic side but i'm holding back because i have it set in my brain that it's below me or will cause my friends and family to think less of me... i was always "the smart one" among my cousins... and i don't really want to lose that status... i don't know... someone help!! (please dr. phil or robin if you read this... i need advice!) thanks...

Hey life is always going to throw you choices like that....between your heart and your head. You have to have a fine balance. When it comes to careers I feel you should ALWAYS have a conservative approach... a safety net...learn something SOLID.... something GOOD like physchology..... something that pays.... so you have the under your belt and out of the way while you still have ENERGY (i am 34 trust me here it is different than 24)...  then once you are done with that.....go do all the fun stuff....learn your behind off....all the fun stuff ...then you will have CHOICES but for sure you will still have the FOR SURE education in case none of that works out..you will have a solid job that PAYS for you to learn all the fun things... and when you are financially stable you can afford to move on to fun stuff...and quit that serious job.... and have a blast!

But if you go for the fun stuff first, it falls through and doesnt work out...then you will Have wished you had listened to your parents. They only tell you this because they have experienced it for themself and love you enough to want to help you do it right. (i know its annoying) Becoming a parent turns you into your own parents haha.... i hear my moms voice all the time now... when i speak to my 2 girls.

In life you must often to the HARD stuff....to get the good stuff.... stuff you dont want to do....but its worth it in the end. I hope this helps....(more advice joy huh?)  Good luck and take care!

Crystal      cdsharp73@gmail.com

January 20, 2008, 6:28 pm CST

ex homeless guy

i am 32 years old, and still i have no carreer. i have been to three different colleges, but have had to drop out due to a lack of transportation. i have an interest in social-psychology, and law, but have student loans that i think are going into default, and that is not good.

i live in a mental health facility, because i need medication to suppress suicidal ideation. i would likely stop taking my meds if i were to live independently just because i hate to be chemical dependent. i am looking at online courses to take while i am locked up here, but i dont know how i would pay for the tuition.

February 5, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

financial aid and student loans

i would like to hear about peoples experiance with financial aid and sudent loans. Who has taken a loan out for a private school? or who got financial aid for a private school?

March 3, 2008, 11:15 am CST

Frustration

Quote From: leviathon

i am 32 years old, and still i have no carreer. i have been to three different colleges, but have had to drop out due to a lack of transportation. i have an interest in social-psychology, and law, but have student loans that i think are going into default, and that is not good.

i live in a mental health facility, because i need medication to suppress suicidal ideation. i would likely stop taking my meds if i were to live independently just because i hate to be chemical dependent. i am looking at online courses to take while i am locked up here, but i dont know how i would pay for the tuition.

Hi,

Also I am very frustrated. I'm 32 years old and I've been working since I was 17, combining it with studies in the evening.

Still I earn far too little, have a truck full of stress and my future perspectives are narrow at the moment.

In two years and a bit, I will have my grad degree in marketing and business. Hopefully then I will earn more and get a nice job.

I am an ADHD patient and I need rest, rest that I don't seem to get. So last week I crashed totally (2nd time in one year), I am already taking ADHD meds but now I have to rest and try to find a job closer to home and simply better.

So yeah, also I'm frustrated and counting days...

Greetings from Belgium,

Machteld

April 2, 2008, 5:02 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: shadesofblue1

i would like to hear about peoples experiance with financial aid and sudent loans. Who has taken a loan out for a private school? or who got financial aid for a private school?

Well...I went to a public university but my advice should apply to those planning to attend a private school as well.  The most important thing I can tell you is to stay away from student loans as much as possible. It is very easy to qualify for a student loan but it can be much more difficult to repay than many people anticipate. For instance, I went through a Master's program (6 years) and borrowed roughly $20K. That really isn't a lot considering I put myself through college (with the assistance of financial aid). Anyhow, I had to work some low paying jobs to gain some experience for quite some time before I was able to break into my field. I was able to qualify for economic hardship deferrments and forebearances, but of course the interest continued to mount. I am told that I now owe $76K+. I really wish I had just taken lighter course loads so I could have worked more hours and used more of my own money toward tuition. It would have taken me longer to graduate, of course, but I truely believe it would have been worth it.

April 3, 2008, 3:23 pm CDT

Will they think I'm financially unstable?

Hi, I am a first-year high school teacher and I have become pretty close with my fellow hall and department colleagues. I was taught in graduate school that if people at work thought you had money problems or problems at home, in general, it could easily jeopardize your job and chances for promotions.

Please tell me if what I have told my colleagues could jeopardize my job or chances for promotions!!

1-I told the Department Chair (not my department directly, but a department within my department indirectly) and also my campus mentor that I would never purchase a home due to my student loan debt. I did not tell this person "how much" student loan debt I have (it is $90k); I just told him that that last thing I wanted to do was buy a house and be in a quarter of a million or a half a million dollars worth of debt with all of the student loan debt I have.

2-I told "another" colleague that I wanted to work part-time this summer to make extra money to pay down some credit cards and buy food. What I meant to say or imply is that I wanted the extra money for fine dining and entertainment purposes. Now, I'm scared this colleague thinks I'm doing without food!!

3-I also told my mentor that my husband had ADD. I only done so after he was telling me about his wife's heart problem.

I'm scared now that they may start rumors saying that I am in a lot of financial debt and woes. I don't think they will, but you never know if I start moving up the educational ladder or something! What do you think? Please give me some advice. I wish I would of never of told them anything, but they all live in houses and such and I just wanted them to know that purchasing a home is not something I want to do because of the added mortgage debt.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

First | Prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last