Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2005, 10:45 am CDT

Burned out on being self-employed in non traditional field

I am 51 years old, self employed since 25 years, most of the time, and I am at a loss. I am truly burned out being self employed. I am a highly skilled and effective Massage Therapist but I have struggled making a decent living for all this time. I have gotten by, working maybe between 35% - 75% of what I would have liked. Statistics say that Massage Therapists last only 2 1/2 years in their profession before they drop out! I have worked for Spas where independent contractors more often then not are treated as employes with no rights and no benefits. When I speak up pointing out problems, politely, I am branded as the trouble maker. I do not fit in with institutions because I always make the individual person, the client or patient more important then following rules. I love my profession that offers the possibility of touching someone's body and soul with the possibility of amazing intimacy and yes, instant gratification. When I work I usually feel refreshed and invigorated myself. There are always a few clients that rave how good I am, how I am the best they ever had... Yet it does not ad up to a decent living. The long standing trouble is never finding enough work. Marketing and consistency in attending to logistics are not my strong point. Advertisement for a non-traditional service like Massage Therapy and Somatic Bodywork is challenging since it still results in too many unwanted responses for sex related requests, sometimes hard to recognize. I do have a website since 5 years, a portfolio of my work since 15 years, and business and posting cards. No doubt I could have made more use of these resources. I also had exposure to local, national, and international media which resulted in zero financial benefit to me, but plenty to the spa. I struggle with American culture that does not foster deep on-going relationships. My clients would shock me by make decisions unilaterally never considering to consult with me. I struggle with the concept of massage, while becoming more and more mainstream also becoming more and more diluted from an awesome therapeutic tool to access body and mind and 'the somatic seat of so much ill-at-easeness' to a shallow, simple minded luxury one treats oneself on occasion. Magic can happen, but not with spacing out, only with spacing in. It was easier making a living in more affluent communities while living in the Bay area, California. I am back in one of the poorest states and dealing with clients that repeatedly forget their appointments, change their appointments without required 24 hour notice, and decide on their own on treatment modalities, even if they conflict with mine. I am discouraged to the point of having given up on my dream and putting the land( bought for my professional goals) up for sale. Anyone out there with similar experiences? Anyone out there that has started over and is the better for it? Anyone out there that can relate to the issues of being self employed in a non-traditional field?

October 12, 2005, 10:33 pm CDT

Job hunting at 55

I started working for Head Start in July 1999 and have been in the same position (Preschool secretary) since.  In 2002 my annual salary finally hit $16,000.  Each year since, my work calendar has been cut from 52 weeks (2002) to 48; then in 2003 it was cut again to  42 weeks and in 2004, again to 40 weeks; two weeks ago the Coordinator called me into her office at the end of the day to tell me that due to budget cuts, my position was being eliminated effective October 28, 2005.  Jobs here are not easy to come by.  At my age, it's  going to be even harder to find gainful employment again.  My savings are gone; I've lost my home and declared bankrupcy in April 2005.  I'm scared to death I'm going to become a baglady before I reach 60.  Any suggestions?

October 13, 2005, 8:32 am CDT

Moving to usa

Hi, I havent posted anything in ages so forgive me muscling in. Im 23yrs old and from Ireland. I have just finished my degree in Tourism in a Dublin college. I want to move to the states, california in particular but im not really sure where to look or what tourism companies. I f anyone had any advice it would be so helpful. Because its so daunting being over here and not knowing which way to start. 

If any locals, from newport or central san diego had anything to offer. 

Thanks 

Go neiri an bother leat! 

October 13, 2005, 8:32 am CDT

Moving to usa

Hi, I havent posted anything in ages so forgive me muscling in. Im 23yrs old and from Ireland. I have just finished my degree in Tourism in a Dublin college. I want to move to the states, california in particular but im not really sure where to look or what tourism companies. I f anyone had any advice it would be so helpful. Because its so daunting being over here and not knowing which way to start. 

If any locals, from newport or central san diego had anything to offer. 

Thanks 

Go neiri an bother leat! 

October 14, 2005, 8:35 pm CDT

Not only

Quote From: mamabyrd00

I started working for Head Start in July 1999 and have been in the same position (Preschool secretary) since.  In 2002 my annual salary finally hit $16,000.  Each year since, my work calendar has been cut from 52 weeks (2002) to 48; then in 2003 it was cut again to  42 weeks and in 2004, again to 40 weeks; two weeks ago the Coordinator called me into her office at the end of the day to tell me that due to budget cuts, my position was being eliminated effective October 28, 2005.  Jobs here are not easy to come by.  At my age, it's  going to be even harder to find gainful employment again.  My savings are gone; I've lost my home and declared bankrupcy in April 2005.  I'm scared to death I'm going to become a baglady before I reach 60.  Any suggestions?

do you have a defeatist thinking you are defeating yourself.  Ok your 55, I am 58 and for the past year I have been working for a temp agency that gives people daily jobs.  I have been doing this while at the same time getting a business going.  The reason I chose day labor over looking for employment was - I am over 50 and I am too strong for some employers to handle in my regular field. 

Remember age is a number not a condition or a disease.  Another option is join AARP and contact them about the program for people over 50 - they have one. 

Ok you declared bankruptcy just recentely - deal with it and overcome it - you just don't know you can. 

October 15, 2005, 7:56 am CDT

hmmmmm

Quote From: renagade

do you have a defeatist thinking you are defeating yourself.  Ok your 55, I am 58 and for the past year I have been working for a temp agency that gives people daily jobs.  I have been doing this while at the same time getting a business going.  The reason I chose day labor over looking for employment was - I am over 50 and I am too strong for some employers to handle in my regular field. 

Remember age is a number not a condition or a disease.  Another option is join AARP and contact them about the program for people over 50 - they have one. 

Ok you declared bankruptcy just recentely - deal with it and overcome it - you just don't know you can. 

I never thought of that!  I had forgotten a temporty agency was how I got my first really good job after military service.  Thank you so much for jerking the cobwebs out of my brain for me.  Guess I just needed a slap of past reality to bring me back to present reality!

October 20, 2005, 8:56 pm CDT

Scared to death with no job in sight

I recently got laid off indefinitely from a Receptionist/Secretary job, and with this economy jobs are very difficult to get. Plus i wish so bad to break into the travel industry. I would love to work at an airport or be a cruise lines sales rep. What can i do that will make me happy, plus bring in a paycheck. 

I am 50 years old and i am not sure employers want to invest their time with an older gal. 

October 21, 2005, 7:35 pm CDT

i need help

my problem is i make burp cloths for babies and have tried selling them on ebay and have no luck i dont know where to start i have even contacted local buisnesses to see if i could advertise my stuff adn it is not happening any suggestions?

October 23, 2005, 6:42 pm CDT

Check out ROP

Quote From: sambobaby

I recently got laid off indefinitely from a Receptionist/Secretary job, and with this economy jobs are very difficult to get. Plus i wish so bad to break into the travel industry. I would love to work at an airport or be a cruise lines sales rep. What can i do that will make me happy, plus bring in a paycheck. 

I am 50 years old and i am not sure employers want to invest their time with an older gal. 

A good place to start is to see if they have training-paid or not?- from the Airline companies in regards to reservations/call operators. If they don't, I would check out your Regional Occupation Programs- I know there are like 3 branches in my area (in southern California) that offer free training in travel/hospitatility courses...you could do a Google search too....  study course for a travel agent certificate.  

It looks to me as if you want to get into reservations... 

Check out  http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos124.htm  for travel occupation requirements. (Age has no factor here. ) 

October 28, 2005, 10:45 am CDT

new to the work force

hi my name is Christina.  I am 19.  I am having a problem finding jobs I mean I just graduated from high school and it seems like every job I work at I get fired and I am sick of this.  just wanted to know if any other graduates had problems getting jobs.  Thanks 

Christina 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last