Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2005, 9:43 pm CST

Christina

Quote From: chgirl1686

hi my name is Christina.  I am 19.  I am having a problem finding jobs I mean I just graduated from high school and it seems like every job I work at I get fired and I am sick of this.  just wanted to know if any other graduates had problems getting jobs.  Thanks 

Christina 

mind telling why your getting fired.

November 2, 2005, 3:04 am CST

Nothing much

You know when everything is getting you down and there is supposed to be a light at the end of the tunnel, or so people say! Some how today I found mine.  

I have just been scrolling through a dozen or so messages and something I notice is that not many people seem to be happy doing what they do. It doesn't seem to matter how old you are or what you do, just that there seems to always be that dream job or opportunity just out of reach. 

So today I had a realization. I am 25 years old and I only have a small, somewhat crazy idea about what I want to do as a career. And this small elusive idea scares the beejeebas out of me. But I thought about it and what do I have to loose? So I am going to try my new 'dream' job and see how it goes. 

You see, my realization is this, we seem to think that we spend our working lives trying to find the job that is right for us. However I have decided that I am going to spend my time finding out what jobs I don't like. 

So I try a job and I do it for a week, month or year. Who knows, have I been waisting time in that job when I could have been doing something more interesting or rewarding? NO, I have been doing something, learning different skills, a new trade, anyway I learnt something and I may or may not use the knowledge again, but it is knowledge that I have gained. 

So I may not be happy RIGHT now, but I know as sure as the sun coming up tomorrow that I won't do certain jobs again. 

Nat 

November 4, 2005, 9:00 pm CST

this might help

Quote From: bsmith77

A good place to start is to see if they have training-paid or not?- from the Airline companies in regards to reservations/call operators. If they don't, I would check out your Regional Occupation Programs- I know there are like 3 branches in my area (in southern California) that offer free training in travel/hospitatility courses...you could do a Google search too....  study course for a travel agent certificate.  

It looks to me as if you want to get into reservations... 

Check out  http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos124.htm  for travel occupation requirements. (Age has no factor here. ) 

Place an ad in local paper. mailbox drop church fair 

November 5, 2005, 3:18 pm CST

niche marketing

Quote From: larissantomason

my problem is i make burp cloths for babies and have tried selling them on ebay and have no luck i dont know where to start i have even contacted local buisnesses to see if i could advertise my stuff adn it is not happening any suggestions?

Hi there 

How about a complicated answer to a simple question?  I assume you're making the burp cloths at home, probably you have babies and found that the burp cloths you could buy were not meeting your needs?  So you started making them yourself, and now you want to sell them? 

First off, you have to recognize that if you live in the US there's a pretty slim chance the burp cloths you make in your basement are going to compete on a price point with those being manufactured in Bengladesh and imported by a company like WalMart.  So you have to compete on something different, presumably that yours are cuter, have a better cut, are more durable, or are somehow more functional.  You'd better figure out what that marketing edge is if you really want to make a go of it. 

Secondly, you have to realize that your marketing and distribution channel is going to cost you, and eat into your profits, no matter what channel you use.  In your case, your marketing and distribution channels are the same:  e-bay.  Although this might not be expensive, it's not working.  This is probably not working but this kind of item (ie personal sanitation) is not the kind of item peole are going to go out shopping for, they will just buy what they need when they SEE it.   

So you will have to go to either local stores to act as your merchandisers, or approach a distributor.  If you are making burp cloths in your kitchen, chances are you don't have the consistency in volume to approach a distributor.  So I suggest going to your local high-end boutiques and see if they'll sell your burp cloths on consignment.  Consignment means that you always "own" the burp cloths, and the store sells them on your behalf.  You get the money from the sale, minus the cut the store takes for their effort.  Remember, if a store sells your goods instead of your own, then they have lost a sale, so you have to expect to compensate the store accordingly.  If the store is already making a 50% mark-up on burp cloths they are already selling, you will have to give them at least the same amount of money.   

So this is where point #1 becomes really important.  For you to make enough money, after paying the store their cut, you have to make something pretty spectacular that you can charge enough money for it.  It has to be a better product.  This is exactly the kind of product on which stores like WalMart have built their (extremely successful) business model:  it's the kind of thing that can be made really cheaply in low-wage zones and then imported and sold at dirt cheap prices.  Good if you're a consumer, but a pretty scary competitor if you want to have a cottage industry in the market which they've made their own playground. 

When you approach the stores for  consignment sales, your own selling point is that your new-improved-cuter-more durable-whatever it is burpclothes adds value to the consumer experience in their store.  If a consumer finds the 'perfect' burp cloth and buys it, then you have a happy customer who's likely to come back. 

Chances are, unless you are wiling to devote heart and soul into manufacturing and distrubuting burp coths, you will never want to go far beyond the consignment sales in specialty stores.  Once you start dealing with distributors who supply multiple stores, you have to supply a volume which you won't be able to match from your home.  If you develop a relationship with five or six stores, you may find that after a while they are willing to simply buy your product instead of dealing with the headache of consignment.  This next step saves you and them hassle:  you made get less money per unit, but your sales volume will go up.  Ideally, with increased volume you make more than enough money that the reduced price per unit it unimportant. 

I hope you find this advice helpful.  I used to have an at-home manufacturing business in which I made specialized outdoor sports gear.  This is the model I used, and it paid my way through university.  I decided not to go to the next level and eventually abandoned the business.  Not long after, I saw copies of my products being made on the other side of the country. 

Good luck! 

November 5, 2005, 3:29 pm CST

work in admin

Quote From: miok41

I have spent the last three years going to school to become a nurse.  I finally finished this past April and have discovered a new underlying fear.  I had worked in the medical field for five years prior to going back to school, I have two great boys the oldest of which I recently had to let go in order for him to attend college  away from home.  He is doing wonderfully and was able to accomplish this through an academic scholarship and being scouted for the football team.  My youngest has just started the 7th grade and while middle school is challenging for anybody, he seems to be doing well. So, that all being said, I now have to address my own issues.  My husband is disabled and has been since 2001, this was an incredibly difficult adjustment for our whole family, loss of income, I was forced to quit my job in order to care for him and the children, etc,. consequently, I felt that by returning to school I would increase my earning power so that we can at least live at the poverty level instead of below it.  The problem I'm facing now is that I am afraid to return to work.  The thought of having the incredible responsibility of people's lives in my hands has become overwhelming,  I get panic/anxiety attacks every time I think about going out and applying for a job now.  I can't figure out why.  I never felt this way before.  I did well in school, my boys are doing great, my husband is to a point where he is able to at least take care of his own basic needs now, not to mention the fact that we DESPERATELY need the money. I'm hoping and praying that someone can help me get past this fear of leaving my family and returning to not only work, but a job that requires me to be accountable for a broader range of very important responsibilities that I have never had to be responsible for in my past work history.  Thanks so much in advance.

Hi there 

I sounds to me like there's absolutely no reason to put your skills to waste.  Why don't you try to find a position in a hospital or clinic on the admin side?  Surely they have a need for people to do purchasing, scheduling, reception, and other planning functions with a nursing background?  Take a course or two in management and accounting if it might help, and get out there!   

November 6, 2005, 2:33 am CST

To old ?

Hello everybody , my name is Allan i am 39 years old and i live in Denmark. I am a skilled welder / constrution smith and i have some college degree. Ok what i would like to ask about or talk about is my career im am now 39 and im planing to study to become an Mechanical Engineer which is going to take me 3½ year to complete so ill be 43 when im done. I really think and feel that this is something i want to do and the job orpetuneties afterwords are real good. I would like to ask all of you do you think im to old to study for an engineer degree? I have been thinking a lot about it and i really feel that i want to do this thoug it will be hard financially but hoppefully ill make good money afterwards and get and interesting job.
And another thing i would like to ask about mostly the women in this forum what do you think about
a guy studying at the age of 39 ?. I wish i could have dicided what i wanted to do in life when i was 20 years old but thats not the case , but on the other hand i have a lot of life experience.
Are you in a simular situation i would like to hear from you mabye we can support eachother :-)

Best regards
Allan

November 6, 2005, 12:02 pm CST

Career Goals

Quote From: allandk66

Hello everybody , my name is Allan i am 39 years old and i live in Denmark. I am a skilled welder / constrution smith and i have some college degree. Ok what i would like to ask about or talk about is my career im am now 39 and im planing to study to become an Mechanical Engineer which is going to take me 3½ year to complete so ill be 43 when im done. I really think and feel that this is something i want to do and the job orpetuneties afterwords are real good. I would like to ask all of you do you think im to old to study for an engineer degree? I have been thinking a lot about it and i really feel that i want to do this thoug it will be hard financially but hoppefully ill make good money afterwards and get and interesting job.
And another thing i would like to ask about mostly the women in this forum what do you think about
a guy studying at the age of 39 ?. I wish i could have dicided what i wanted to do in life when i was 20 years old but thats not the case , but on the other hand i have a lot of life experience.
Are you in a simular situation i would like to hear from you mabye we can support eachother :-)

Best regards
Allan
You are NEVER too old to go to school. education is a good thing, I say go for it and good luck, follow your dreams and ambition. Life is good and I think going after an opportunity is a good thing.

November 8, 2005, 10:41 pm CST

Hi Nat - Rog here

Quote From: bigred80

You know when everything is getting you down and there is supposed to be a light at the end of the tunnel, or so people say! Some how today I found mine.  

I have just been scrolling through a dozen or so messages and something I notice is that not many people seem to be happy doing what they do. It doesn't seem to matter how old you are or what you do, just that there seems to always be that dream job or opportunity just out of reach. 

So today I had a realization. I am 25 years old and I only have a small, somewhat crazy idea about what I want to do as a career. And this small elusive idea scares the beejeebas out of me. But I thought about it and what do I have to loose? So I am going to try my new 'dream' job and see how it goes. 

You see, my realization is this, we seem to think that we spend our working lives trying to find the job that is right for us. However I have decided that I am going to spend my time finding out what jobs I don't like. 

So I try a job and I do it for a week, month or year. Who knows, have I been waisting time in that job when I could have been doing something more interesting or rewarding? NO, I have been doing something, learning different skills, a new trade, anyway I learnt something and I may or may not use the knowledge again, but it is knowledge that I have gained. 

So I may not be happy RIGHT now, but I know as sure as the sun coming up tomorrow that I won't do certain jobs again. 

Nat 

This time you might not like my responce.  Your wasting your time and energy by doing this - find out what you like to do - I have finally found out after being fired from practically all my jobs.  I am still basically in my field - but 'on the other side' so to speak and it is refreshing. 

Rog 

November 10, 2005, 7:18 am CST

Career Goals

Quote From: jettav

You are NEVER too old to go to school. education is a good thing, I say go for it and good luck, follow your dreams and ambition. Life is good and I think going after an opportunity is a good thing.
Jettav thank you for your reply :-) it helps alot .
Im still thinking hard about if i should start studying or not . Ill let you know

Allan

November 21, 2005, 8:44 am CST

Overcoming fears to start my own business

Is there anyone with advice on starting their own business.  I have 4 children and a husband who works long hours in the Air Force.  I have been working odd jobs for the past 10 years trying to make ends meet but have still been unsuccessful.  I think part of my problem is that I haven't been happy at all.  I have had an idea for a business that would allow me to take my two children, still at home with me, so that I don't have to give up my time with them and it would allow me to do something I love.  My problem is that I am scared to death and I don't really have a support system since my husband and I are out here on our own.  How do I get over my fears of failure and move ahead with my business.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last