Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 22, 2005, 5:37 am CST

Business.

Quote From: mteebad

Is there anyone with advice on starting their own business.  I have 4 children and a husband who works long hours in the Air Force.  I have been working odd jobs for the past 10 years trying to make ends meet but have still been unsuccessful.  I think part of my problem is that I haven't been happy at all.  I have had an idea for a business that would allow me to take my two children, still at home with me, so that I don't have to give up my time with them and it would allow me to do something I love.  My problem is that I am scared to death and I don't really have a support system since my husband and I are out here on our own.  How do I get over my fears of failure and move ahead with my business.
I don't know what your business  entails but a major issue is not to have to rely on that business for income for at least the first year so that you can reinvest and expand to your business' needs. Develop a business plan with someone from your banking institution or from the SBA. Don't go hog wild and buy a lot of inventory etc until you find out what your needs are....watch your market- the economy is not great right now which means a lot of businesses are failing- which means that your might succeed if you pay attention to detail. I would love to know what you are going to do!  Good luck!

November 23, 2005, 9:19 am CST

Broken Bridge

I am 39 yrs. old women, born with epilepsy. I was a high school drop out.  Two bad marriages. Finally at the age of 26, I meet my present husband. He helprd me overcome all the abuse my previous husbands put my throught, helped me get my G.E.D. my ceizures under control to the point that I am working at our local Kroger, and now have my drivers licenses. My career goal is to be a photographer. I am on one end of the bridge____________my goal on the other. 

The only thing holding me back is MONEY!  

I can't go to school for it because I can't get any grants or anything. 

I have the opertunity to do training on the job, but I need a car. And to get that, I need MONEY! 

What really upsets me is, I have come so far, but becauseof MONEY, I CAN'T GO ANY FURTHER! 

November 26, 2005, 11:01 pm CST

burnt out at 25

I thought my life was going according to plan. 25, newly married, making $40,000 a year in the field I wanted to work in. Then I started getting more and more stressed out at work. I was taking work home with me and working 12 hour days and 70 hour weeks for no recognition. Finally this past Thursday it happened; a coworker found me unconscious in my office. I'm waiting on test results now to see what is wrong, but the most likely culprit is exhaustion and stress. At 25, I am letting my job kill me.  

I have my letter of resignation ready to hand in and am looking for jobs that are in my field but not threatening to take over my life. It hurts that I may have to work front line (I'm a supervisor now) and make less money, but I was forced to realize that I can't do everything.  

Is anyone else in this position? I feel like a failure burning out so young. 

November 27, 2005, 4:19 pm CST

You are the only one holding you back

Quote From: bunnierich

I am 39 yrs. old women, born with epilepsy. I was a high school drop out.  Two bad marriages. Finally at the age of 26, I meet my present husband. He helprd me overcome all the abuse my previous husbands put my throught, helped me get my G.E.D. my ceizures under control to the point that I am working at our local Kroger, and now have my drivers licenses. My career goal is to be a photographer. I am on one end of the bridge____________my goal on the other. 

I have the opertunity to do training on the job, but I need a car. And to get that, I need MONEY! 

What really upsets me is, I have come so far, but becauseof MONEY, I CAN'T GO ANY FURTHER! 

Take a look at what you wrote.  Now you have come to a bump and it is only that a bump.  I can't understand why you are willing to give up at this point when you still have a functioning brain that has brought you this far. 

Money is not that hard to accumulate if you allow yourself a chance to think of different ways to get it. 

I'll bet you that if you really put your mind to it and time you will come up with ways.  I'll give you a hint 

try the internet search engines and go over with a fine tooth comb.  What about a second job.  At 39 

YOU are young - just learn how to manage your finances!!! 

Rog 

November 27, 2005, 6:04 pm CST

Another job

Quote From: jennafoofe

I thought my life was going according to plan. 25, newly married, making $40,000 a year in the field I wanted to work in. Then I started getting more and more stressed out at work. I was taking work home with me and working 12 hour days and 70 hour weeks for no recognition. Finally this past Thursday it happened; a coworker found me unconscious in my office. I'm waiting on test results now to see what is wrong, but the most likely culprit is exhaustion and stress. At 25, I am letting my job kill me.  

I have my letter of resignation ready to hand in and am looking for jobs that are in my field but not threatening to take over my life. It hurts that I may have to work front line (I'm a supervisor now) and make less money, but I was forced to realize that I can't do everything.  

Is anyone else in this position? I feel like a failure burning out so young. 

Hi Jen...I am 25 also and I am working as a Finance Officer... I dont know what do you do but to me you are overworked. You are right that we cannot do everything and you should not let work to take over / control your life as you are too young. You should enjoy life more. You should find the job that suit you and your profession (the area that you are working now)  I am sure that there are plenty of jobs around. 

About your resignation, you should hang on to your job at the moment  and resign when you got another job.  

Best wishes 

Kathy 

November 28, 2005, 6:19 am CST

Money Isn't Your Problem

Quote From: bunnierich

There are plenty of resources available to you, especially since you are working at (what I presume) is a low-paying job; apply for whatever school you want to attend, then file a FAFSA (Federal Application for Student Assistance) form; you can even fill it out online; it will ask you for info on your previous years' income, as well as your spouse; you would be surprised at how much you could get for student aide; also, getting student loans to go to school is another alternative; you do not pay them back until you are done with school, actually six months after; the loans are in your name only, not your husbands, and there are several repayment options. The local community college should have people in the Financial Aide Dept that can answer your questions; also, there's student employment on campus that could help supplement your income while you are going to school, plus, you could gain experience & make contacts with people who know others in the field you want to get in to. You can do this, you may go into debt because of it, but it will be the best debt you could have ever "racked up" because it will ultimately help YOU to fulfill your career goal. Good Luck!

November 28, 2005, 4:32 pm CST

Never too old for Education

Quote From: allandk66

Hello everybody , my name is Allan i am 39 years old and i live in Denmark. I am a skilled welder / constrution smith and i have some college degree. Ok what i would like to ask about or talk about is my career im am now 39 and im planing to study to become an Mechanical Engineer which is going to take me 3½ year to complete so ill be 43 when im done. I really think and feel that this is something i want to do and the job orpetuneties afterwords are real good. I would like to ask all of you do you think im to old to study for an engineer degree? I have been thinking a lot about it and i really feel that i want to do this thoug it will be hard financially but hoppefully ill make good money afterwards and get and interesting job.
And another thing i would like to ask about mostly the women in this forum what do you think about
a guy studying at the age of 39 ?. I wish i could have dicided what i wanted to do in life when i was 20 years old but thats not the case , but on the other hand i have a lot of life experience.
Are you in a simular situation i would like to hear from you mabye we can support eachother :-)

Best regards
Allan

Hi Allan, 

It is never too old or too late for education. As long as you determine and put your mind into it you can do it. I completed my year 12 when I was 21, which other completed theirs at the age of 18. Now I am 25 working full time and doing my university degree part time. I got 2 more years to complete my degree. 

Good luck Allan. 

Best wishes  

Kathy  

November 30, 2005, 8:45 am CST

go for it! but plan carefully

Quote From: allandk66

Hello everybody , my name is Allan i am 39 years old and i live in Denmark. I am a skilled welder / constrution smith and i have some college degree. Ok what i would like to ask about or talk about is my career im am now 39 and im planing to study to become an Mechanical Engineer which is going to take me 3½ year to complete so ill be 43 when im done. I really think and feel that this is something i want to do and the job orpetuneties afterwords are real good. I would like to ask all of you do you think im to old to study for an engineer degree? I have been thinking a lot about it and i really feel that i want to do this thoug it will be hard financially but hoppefully ill make good money afterwards and get and interesting job.
And another thing i would like to ask about mostly the women in this forum what do you think about
a guy studying at the age of 39 ?. I wish i could have dicided what i wanted to do in life when i was 20 years old but thats not the case , but on the other hand i have a lot of life experience.
Are you in a simular situation i would like to hear from you mabye we can support eachother :-)

Best regards
Allan
Hi Allan I just gave up getting my Masters in English and History (temporarily, anyway). I left college in the States to move to Denmark and get married in 1980. I'd just about completed my junior year and was 22. After 7 years of being mostly unemployed, I had my first child and decided to stay home with him. I had my second child 4 years later. When he was three, I started Adult Education courses in order to get a HF (college prep, for those who don't live in Denmark). I started university in 1996, and spent 8 years trying to get a degree, during which I landed in a depression, was separated, divorced, tried to support myself and two kids on SU (state stipend), had a triple bypass, remarried and developed anxiety disorder, possibly in connection with the anti-depressive medicine, without accompanying therapy, I have been on from 1998 until just recently. I had problems with memory and concentration, so I just couldn't do it any more, at least not on the same terms as my young, unmarried, mostly childless fellow students. I'm now considering a shorter education that will qualify me for a parttime job, where I can use some of the resources I'm convinced I have. Maybe then I'll be able to go back to school and work, both on a parttime basis. I'm 47 now, but I know what I want. I just have to figure out how to get it. I can tell you that you are not too old. It's a little harder, especially in Denmark, where the education system is still very stiff, but life experience is definitely a big plus for you, personally. this country may not know it yet, but you are exactly what is needed. Find out what kind of help and encouragement you need and where you can get it, then Go For It!

December 3, 2005, 7:24 am CST

getting a job/life

My question is after a job loss, how do you go forward without screwing up? 

Suddenly, with no warning, I was terminated from my job yesterday.  We have three children at home, one who has an injury that needs the health insurance that I will loose the end-of-the month.  We can't afford the Cobra insurance.  My husband works, but has a no-benefit job.  His wages prelude us receiving any help for the children.  So, here I am, before Christmas and one child's birthday, unemployed.  Do I jump at the chance to do any job no matter what even if it is just a few hours here and there?  Do I go all out and focus on every full-time job no matter where/what?  Do I sit back and take stock and wait for the unemployment insurance to kick in?  That is not an option as there is nothing coming in and to much needing to go out.  We can't even get gifts from the Salvation Army as my husband makes $14 an hour, and that isn't poverty level.   

One of my complaints about my job was how much time I was away from home.  I left by 7AM and didn't get home until 6PM.  The benefit is now I can be there for the children now that I am unemployed. 

Next, how do I help the children?  They understand that mom lost her job.  They are 18, 16 and 9.  The hardest is the repeated questions on "how are we going to pay for....?"  We just keep telling them that it is not we it is us as in parents that have to worry about paying for things, that it is not their job to worry.  I don't now that saying that to them is very effective.   The 9 year old is probably having the hardest time with it.  His birthday is next weekend.  The 16 year old is in a straight leg cast and will require extensive physical thearpy if he is to walk decent again.  He is worrying about paying for this, which I keep telling him is not his job to worry about. The 18 year old is fine and trying to help out where she can.  

I needed to vent/get this out.  Thank you for letting me. 

I am trying to be upbeat.  I just don't know which way to turn.  I don't know whether we are doing right by the children.  I just don't know.... 

Joy   

December 4, 2005, 1:27 pm CST

Joy ... Slow down

Quote From: joykelly

My question is after a job loss, how do you go forward without screwing up? 

Suddenly, with no warning, I was terminated from my job yesterday.  We have three children at home, one who has an injury that needs the health insurance that I will loose the end-of-the month.  We can't afford the Cobra insurance.  My husband works, but has a no-benefit job.  His wages prelude us receiving any help for the children.  So, here I am, before Christmas and one child's birthday, unemployed.  Do I jump at the chance to do any job no matter what even if it is just a few hours here and there?  Do I go all out and focus on every full-time job no matter where/what?  Do I sit back and take stock and wait for the unemployment insurance to kick in?  That is not an option as there is nothing coming in and to much needing to go out.  We can't even get gifts from the Salvation Army as my husband makes $14 an hour, and that isn't poverty level.   

One of my complaints about my job was how much time I was away from home.  I left by 7AM and didn't get home until 6PM.  The benefit is now I can be there for the children now that I am unemployed. 

Next, how do I help the children?  They understand that mom lost her job.  They are 18, 16 and 9.  The hardest is the repeated questions on "how are we going to pay for....?"  We just keep telling them that it is not we it is us as in parents that have to worry about paying for things, that it is not their job to worry.  I don't now that saying that to them is very effective.   The 9 year old is probably having the hardest time with it.  His birthday is next weekend.  The 16 year old is in a straight leg cast and will require extensive physical thearpy if he is to walk decent again.  He is worrying about paying for this, which I keep telling him is not his job to worry about. The 18 year old is fine and trying to help out where she can.  

I needed to vent/get this out.  Thank you for letting me. 

I am trying to be upbeat.  I just don't know which way to turn.  I don't know whether we are doing right by the children.  I just don't know.... 

Joy   

You are running at the mouth and letting your emotions get the best of you.    If your kids are that old gather them around the table and be honest with them.  If their repeated question if how, how, how - then I would suggest that you put figures to paper and show them.  DO NOT forget to file for unemployment - it will probably kick in a week before Christmas, and then don't go hog wild. 

Yours kids need to be secured in their emotions and you need to be stable.  I myself have been thru this and I got on the phone to those that need to know and they worked with me. 

Keep in touch   

Rog 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last