Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 5, 2005, 6:57 pm CST

Unsure and scared

Okay so I made a mistake. I am turning 40 next year and I have yet to start a career or know what I want or do when I grow up. I am married, no children and depend on my husband for finaces. I have not had a career ever in my life. i have always gotten by with meaningless jobs. I don't want to be one of those women without a nest egg because you never know when a marriage can fall apart. I don't have any money of my own and have to stay with my husband for financial reasons. I have a college degree but have never used it . I do not like office work. I love being outside or always moving. I have tried sales and it's not for me. Should I go back to school for something or is it too late to start a career?

December 5, 2005, 7:01 pm CST

Career Goals

Quote From: renagade

You are running at the mouth and letting your emotions get the best of you.    If your kids are that old gather them around the table and be honest with them.  If their repeated question if how, how, how - then I would suggest that you put figures to paper and show them.  DO NOT forget to file for unemployment - it will probably kick in a week before Christmas, and then don't go hog wild. 

Yours kids need to be secured in their emotions and you need to be stable.  I myself have been thru this and I got on the phone to those that need to know and they worked with me. 

Keep in touch   

Rog 

Would it be possisible for your husband to work a second job so you could spend more time with your kids? Why not just get a part time job for now. I have always learned it is easier to get a job when you have one. You could be networking and you would be making money. Good Luck 

Zoey 

December 5, 2005, 7:04 pm CST

Career Goals

Quote From: susanabra

Hi Allan I just gave up getting my Masters in English and History (temporarily, anyway). I left college in the States to move to Denmark and get married in 1980. I'd just about completed my junior year and was 22. After 7 years of being mostly unemployed, I had my first child and decided to stay home with him. I had my second child 4 years later. When he was three, I started Adult Education courses in order to get a HF (college prep, for those who don't live in Denmark). I started university in 1996, and spent 8 years trying to get a degree, during which I landed in a depression, was separated, divorced, tried to support myself and two kids on SU (state stipend), had a triple bypass, remarried and developed anxiety disorder, possibly in connection with the anti-depressive medicine, without accompanying therapy, I have been on from 1998 until just recently. I had problems with memory and concentration, so I just couldn't do it any more, at least not on the same terms as my young, unmarried, mostly childless fellow students. I'm now considering a shorter education that will qualify me for a parttime job, where I can use some of the resources I'm convinced I have. Maybe then I'll be able to go back to school and work, both on a parttime basis. I'm 47 now, but I know what I want. I just have to figure out how to get it. I can tell you that you are not too old. It's a little harder, especially in Denmark, where the education system is still very stiff, but life experience is definitely a big plus for you, personally. this country may not know it yet, but you are exactly what is needed. Find out what kind of help and encouragement you need and where you can get it, then Go For It!
Hey Allan I am in the same exact boat. I want to finish school and am 39 years old. By the time I finish I will be 44. But I will be 44 years old wether I go to colllege or not. Think about it.

December 6, 2005, 12:53 pm CST

Career Goals

Quote From: barbie_

First of all, I actually don't have an attitude, but I am going to come across as I have one, because people like you, who know NOTHING about my situation and act like they do and seem to think they need to put me in my place, really piss me off. Aside from my gripes about work, I'm actually a very upbeat person, I don't have a negative attitude. I sometimes forget that employers have some sort of  ESP and can sense my non existant bitter attitude through some words typed up on paper.  And maybe if you knew about the field I'm trying to get a job in, you'd know it's not because of an "attitude" that I can't get hired, but because when a job offer comes along for this department in this hospital, they first have to offer the job to someone who already works in the hospital, and if no one wants it, THEN they offer the position to people who don't work in the hospital yet. Thats why it's so hard for me to get a job in the hospital. 

Forgive me for being upset that I have all this education, and nothing to show for it.  Forgive me for being upset that I have to work till midnight, everyday on a holiday weekend when I'd like to spend with my family that I won't be able to see because I will be working for a measley $7.00 an hour. Forgive me for wanting to have just one weekend off to be able to spend time with my  friends and family. I don't mind working the weekends, I have a problem with working EVERY weekend. And maybe, if they offered more than $7/hour I would love to work on the weekends. I worked very hard through school, I studied my butt off to get the grades I did so I could get a good job. I don't think people have to work around me, so don't be making assumptions about people you don't know. I don't think I'm "entitled" to a 9 - 5 job, monday - friday. However, I think that with all the education and hard work I've put in, I deserve more than7 dollars an hour. I didn't work my ass off to be bussing tables for 7 dollars an hour without ever having one weekend off, while people who slacked off during highschool, barley passing, and never went onto higher education, are making twice as much as me and have the weekends off, every weekend.

So forgive me for not being insanley happy, jumping for joy because I get to work all holiday weekend, I can't go to my family dinner with relatives I rarely ever get to see. Forgive me for not having tears of joy streaming down my face because my paycheque only allows me just enough money to be able to get to and from work, and I havn't been able to buy one single thing for myself. Forgive me feeling a little down in the dumps lately because I havn't been able to see my friends in months. People do get lonely you know? That doesn't make them a horrible person.

So YOU get off YOUR highhorse and stop making assumptions about someone you don't even know. And stop acting like you're all high and mighty and never complain about work.  And believe me, I'm not complaining without trying to change the situation. I'm out looking for a new job every single time I have a day off.
     Whoa, chill out! Take a couple of deep breaths, count to 10 and relax. Don't let someone else's "expertise" fry you. I can relate to your experience: I spent 5 1/2 years in retail (two years commission sales) and two years at the Golden Arches. Trust me, I didn't like working every weekend and holidays anymore than you (not to mention, smelling of french fries!), but unfortunately I had no choice. Believe me, it will get better; just be patient and don't throw in the towel. I've been in THIS job for 16 years, and I'm NOT looking forward to Year 17. At 21, you have a much better chance at getting the job of your dreams than I; don't let other people clip your wings. This too shall pass. :-)

December 7, 2005, 7:12 am CST

Career Goals

Quote From: zzavo1

Okay so I made a mistake. I am turning 40 next year and I have yet to start a career or know what I want or do when I grow up. I am married, no children and depend on my husband for finaces. I have not had a career ever in my life. i have always gotten by with meaningless jobs. I don't want to be one of those women without a nest egg because you never know when a marriage can fall apart. I don't have any money of my own and have to stay with my husband for financial reasons. I have a college degree but have never used it . I do not like office work. I love being outside or always moving. I have tried sales and it's not for me. Should I go back to school for something or is it too late to start a career?
it's never too late to go to school and if this is your desire then go for it, studying and learning is a great thing. Know what you want and go for it. Life is short, follow your dreams and never give up.

December 11, 2005, 12:43 am CST

Thanks, but already tried that!

Quote From: kandyland2

There are plenty of resources available to you, especially since you are working at (what I presume) is a low-paying job; apply for whatever school you want to attend, then file a FAFSA (Federal Application for Student Assistance) form; you can even fill it out online; it will ask you for info on your previous years' income, as well as your spouse; you would be surprised at how much you could get for student aide; also, getting student loans to go to school is another alternative; you do not pay them back until you are done with school, actually six months after; the loans are in your name only, not your husbands, and there are several repayment options. The local community college should have people in the Financial Aide Dept that can answer your questions; also, there's student employment on campus that could help supplement your income while you are going to school, plus, you could gain experience & make contacts with people who know others in the field you want to get in to. You can do this, you may go into debt because of it, but it will be the best debt you could have ever "racked up" because it will ultimately help YOU to fulfill your career goal. Good Luck!
Your right, my job is a low -paying job. Only because they won't give us the hours. A student loan is what got me bad credit in the first place. I got the loan to go to a "business" school, it turn out that the school was a fraud. It didn't have the proper papers to be legal. It got closed. and I got stuck with the debt. Now I can't do anything that concerns a bank or the gov. My husbands credit is not so hot either. but our incomes together, we make to much to be below average, but not enough to be average. Every time we think we're caught up, something else goes wrong that puts us right back in debt. But thank you for your advice anyway.

December 11, 2005, 12:56 am CST

Not given up!

Quote From: renagade

Take a look at what you wrote.  Now you have come to a bump and it is only that a bump.  I can't understand why you are willing to give up at this point when you still have a functioning brain that has brought you this far. 

Money is not that hard to accumulate if you allow yourself a chance to think of different ways to get it. 

I'll bet you that if you really put your mind to it and time you will come up with ways.  I'll give you a hint 

try the internet search engines and go over with a fine tooth comb.  What about a second job.  At 39 

YOU are young - just learn how to manage your finances!!! 

Rog 

One thing you said that I agree with is that I do need to learn how to manage my finances better! 

Yes, I have overcome alot, but not on my own. I had some guidance.  

I have looked into the internet, but everyone wants a credit card. I don't own a credit card. 

I,ve tried getting a second job, but I am still waitting for call backs. 

I thank you for your advice, But I'm NOT giving up! 

Just look for some guidance!  Thank again! Rog 

December 13, 2005, 5:13 pm CST

Career Goals

Right now I work at the food stamp office where I determine if people are eligible to receive food stamps based on their personal situation. It's basically giving out free money to those people who need it most in order to feed themselves and their families. I know people say that I'm helping people by giving them this money to buy food, but I'm not convinced I am. It's like the saying "give a man a fish and he eats for today, but teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." I feel like I'm just handing out fish. Now maybe it's just because I've been feeling like I have more things that need to be done than time I have to finish. Maybe it's just because most of the clients I've been getting have been rude and difficult, hard to deal with, and many seem to liars. Maybe it's because I haven't seen my family or been on vacation in a year and a half. But I really feel like I should be doing a lot more than I am. I feel very strongly that I should be doing more than I am and helping people in a much deeper way. I hate the idea of doing all this surface stuff to help people. The stuff is here today, gone tomorrow, and the people keep coming back for more free handouts. Maybe I've just had a bad day, but I really feel like I'm capable of helping people in a much deeper and more permanant way. I feel like that's what I should be doing, like that's what I'm meant to do, what I've been made for, saved for. And I feel like I'm not doing it. Whenever I'm not helping people, I feel like something's missing, like something's not right. If I could, I would either start my own business running an Christian Counseling center or be an advice columnist or something like that where I actually feel like I'm doing some good and not just providing a quick fix.

December 14, 2005, 1:20 pm CST

Food

Quote From: mademecry

Right now I work at the food stamp office where I determine if people are eligible to receive food stamps based on their personal situation. It's basically giving out free money to those people who need it most in order to feed themselves and their families. I know people say that I'm helping people by giving them this money to buy food, but I'm not convinced I am. It's like the saying "give a man a fish and he eats for today, but teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." I feel like I'm just handing out fish. Now maybe it's just because I've been feeling like I have more things that need to be done than time I have to finish. Maybe it's just because most of the clients I've been getting have been rude and difficult, hard to deal with, and many seem to liars. Maybe it's because I haven't seen my family or been on vacation in a year and a half. But I really feel like I should be doing a lot more than I am. I feel very strongly that I should be doing more than I am and helping people in a much deeper way. I hate the idea of doing all this surface stuff to help people. The stuff is here today, gone tomorrow, and the people keep coming back for more free handouts. Maybe I've just had a bad day, but I really feel like I'm capable of helping people in a much deeper and more permanant way. I feel like that's what I should be doing, like that's what I'm meant to do, what I've been made for, saved for. And I feel like I'm not doing it. Whenever I'm not helping people, I feel like something's missing, like something's not right. If I could, I would either start my own business running an Christian Counseling center or be an advice columnist or something like that where I actually feel like I'm doing some good and not just providing a quick fix.

Ok, some of the people might be scamming, but the majority of them need  the food. THe world has become so technologically advanced that some people are never going to be able to hold jobs again- people who used to be great workers, hard workers, but can't learn the necessary skills.  THere isn't much need for a man with a strong back anymore......without a CDL, computer skills, mechanical ability....And your compassion to those people is greatly appreciated. 

Secondly, we are working on a 4th or 5th generation welfare state. The US has families who have been dependent on the government since the depression to survive. The kids never saw Mom or Dad working, so they don't know that is what you do. Believe it or not, we have people in the US who do not read, have never worked at a job and don't understand that a person actually gets up to earn money rather than waiting for it to come in the mail (or go direct deposit) Its a cultural thing, I think....... 

December 15, 2005, 3:21 pm CST

Career Goals

Quote From: queentween

Ok, some of the people might be scamming, but the majority of them need  the food. THe world has become so technologically advanced that some people are never going to be able to hold jobs again- people who used to be great workers, hard workers, but can't learn the necessary skills.  THere isn't much need for a man with a strong back anymore......without a CDL, computer skills, mechanical ability....And your compassion to those people is greatly appreciated. 

Secondly, we are working on a 4th or 5th generation welfare state. The US has families who have been dependent on the government since the depression to survive. The kids never saw Mom or Dad working, so they don't know that is what you do. Believe it or not, we have people in the US who do not read, have never worked at a job and don't understand that a person actually gets up to earn money rather than waiting for it to come in the mail (or go direct deposit) Its a cultural thing, I think....... 

Part of the problem when I wrote that about helping people was that I had a bad day that day. Another part of it is that I kind of feel like I'm trying to fit myself into a job that I don't quite fit into. I've been having a bad week. I have clients calling me every day demanding to get their food stamps and they want them yesterday. I have caught a few of them in lies. Granted... I'm still fairly new at this job but probably only 20% of the clients I've been seeing have been nice to me and respectful. I don't like putting up with the other 80%. Plus if I eventually move on to another job, it's not like the food stamp program will disappear or anything. That sort of thing definately has it's place and can be very helpful to people. I just don't quite feel like that's where I belong. I can do the job and be good at it. I just feel like I should be doing more to help people in a deeper way. I don't feel fulfilled doing this job like I do when I give advice to people who email me through my website asking for my help. I think maybe I would feel better about my job if I could help people more with my writing. That's where I feel I belong and what I need to be doing. I'm affraid that I might never find a job that really fulfills me and I'll keep burning out ever year or year and a half. I'm affraid that I may never have a career that I have a passion for and really fulfills me like I feel when I give advice to people by email.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last